Local councillor attempts to ban Union Jack?

K.Butt

A Ledbury town councillor has been forced to apologise after she tried to ban Union Jack bunting being put up to celebrate the Queen's birthday - in case it upset FOREIGNERS. What the hell?

post-169-0-55371600-1460820365.jpg

Councillor Liz Harvey voted against having the patriotic bunting, saying visitors to the town would mistake the red-white-and-blue flags for the National Front.

She made the bizarre comments during a town council meeting to discuss ways to mark the Queen's 90th birthday in the Herefordshire town of Ledbury.

Cllr Harvey, who runs the It's Our County party, said: "If I could make one plea, please no red, white and blue bunting."

Story here

K Butt, Liz Harvey is the deputy leader of IOC, that said, when she is around their leader says nothing!. She is a very self opinionated woman, she is always right and everyone else is wrong in her eyes. stating that our national flag would be mistaken for the national front is discusting, and in my opinion a slight on our Queen. If that is how she feels she should go back to live where she came from or better still leave Britain altogether !!!.

Evening all,

The comments Liz made in the Ledbury Town meeting are not IOC policy.And she didn't for a moment claim they were.They have also been taken out of context. She did not try to 'ban bunting' etc etc, she expressed her own views on the best colours to go for.

Liz has apologised for any offence caused.

John Harrington

(Chairman, It's Our County)

Evening all,

The comments Liz made in the Ledbury Town meeting are not IOC policy.And she didn't for a moment claim they were.They have also been taken out of context. She did not try to 'ban bunting' etc etc, she expressed her own views on the best colours to go for.

Liz has apologised for any offence caused.

John Harrington

(Chairman, It's Our County)

Thank you for the clarification John, I thought something may of been a miss here.

Adrian, a lot of people who do nothing for this country, eg:- non working folk, have had had a good lifestyle paid for by the taxpayers. Don't mock something that is respected by a lot of people in this country, regarded enviously by a lot of countries and is vitally important to a lot of incoming trade.

Adrian, a lot of people who do nothing for this country, eg:- non working folk, have had had a good lifestyle paid for by the taxpayers. Don't mock something that is respected by a lot of people in this country, regarded enviously by a lot of countries and is vitally important to a lot of incoming trade.

I couldn't agree more. 

i do not know why we really need a load of these flags all over the place anyway, they look awful and tacky, I also do not why we are celebrating someone's birthday that have had,  to be honest  a good lifestyle paid for by the tax payers.

And a MASSIVE earner for the UK, ten fold compared to what they are paid.

It seems ridiculous to me, that Liz Harvey comment has been misquoted, indeed even manipulated, to put her in a bad light. This is a woman who works extremely hard for the folks she represents.

She appears to have a genuine concern about just how long the bunting will be up for. I quite agree. Use the red, white and blue for a specific occasion....I have no problem there( and neither does Liz). But if it's going to be draped around the town indefinitely, then perhaps something a little more considered would be advised.

I'm no royalist. But I'm more than happy to see union flag bunting up whenever the occasion arises. I'm not convinced that the whole of Ledbury needs to be covered in it for the whole tourist season.

When I think about the amount of good this councillor does, it seems to me grossly unfair that perhaps an off the cuff remark has caused such a furore. Surely there are more pressing issues that need to be discussed?

Just my opinion.

I agree with paul jones the union jack has been around for so long it is part of our heritage ,As far as Ciir Harvey is concerned it is an opinion to keep to herself if she wants to be in the public limelight then expect critics it is all part of it when you serve in public office there is no excuses she should not have said it make no mistake i am not a royalist.Those that want it should pay for it in my opinion.

It seems ridiculous to me, that Liz Harvey comment has been misquoted, indeed even manipulated, to put her in a bad light. This is a woman who works extremely hard for the folks she represents.

She appears to have a genuine concern about just how long the bunting will be up for. I quite agree. Use the red, white and blue for a specific occasion....I have no problem there( and neither does Liz). But if it's going to be draped around the town indefinitely, then perhaps something a little more considered would be advised.

I'm no royalist. But I'm more than happy to see union flag bunting up whenever the occasion arises. I'm not convinced that the whole of Ledbury needs to be covered in it for the whole tourist season.

When I think about the amount of good this councillor does, it seems to me grossly unfair that perhaps an off the cuff remark has caused such a furore. Surely there are more pressing issues that need to be discussed?

Just my opinion.

Dippy, I agree this seems to be a mountain made out of a molehill. Political correctness these days means you are always going to offend someone, but the more you try and please everyone the more some groups get irrationally "offended". No-one will dare to put up any bunting anywhere at all at this rate. And what a terrible shame that would be!