Traffic Lights Campaign - Part -Time Lights 7pm-7am

I have now implemented phase II of our traffic lights campaign and that is in the form of a petition from the very start!

[Please note that this is totally separate to our lights out campaign. This petition deals only with the traffic lights at night]

part-time-traffic-signals.jpg

We would like both the Highways Agency and Herefordshire Council to allow the traffic lights at the junctions
where the A465 meets the A49 (Asda roundabout/junction) and where the A49 meets the A438 Newmarket St (Old Market roundabout/junction) to become part-time signals during non peak times from 7pm-7am with exception to the pedestrian crossings which would still be in operation for the safety of pedestrians.
All of these traffic lights are relatively pointless during off peak times and often motorists become frustrated and impatient while being forced to sit at red lights, this can often be at 2am when there are clearly no other vehicles in sight!

By signing our petition you are in strong favour of these signals being changed to PART-TIME status from 7pm-7am

Please read the petition and you can offer your support by simply signing it. 

#trafficlightshfd

Part-Time Traffic Lights Petition Here

Last night 8.45pm, Newmarket/Blueschool street was shut off and traffic directed down Commercial road from Bath street, it was fairly busy.

I waited at traffic lights on the one way Union Street by the Country Bus station -( just a bus stop as pointed out on another forum).  

Waiting to move forward to the second set of lights, then to turn right onto Commercial road, I didn't see any cars travel along Commercial road, not one. 

That's despite the unusual diversion!

It took many minutes at that double set of lights - held up for nothing, as per usual.  Then a few more traffic lights to wait at on Commercial Road, again causing delay and congestion unnecessarily.  

I'm all for a total cull of the traffic lights, maybe a good weeding out of them or even just a part-time shut down of them all would improve matters!

Signing now!

"..Just a bus stop, as pointed out on another forum"

That would have been me, Magic!!

Well done Colin for persevering with this. There is so much support for your idea, that quite frankly it beggars belief that it hasn't been done.

I shall sign your petition!

• Thumbs Up 1

"..Just a bus stop, as pointed out on another forum"

That would have been me, Magic!!

Well done Colin for persevering with this. There is so much support for your idea, that quite frankly it beggars belief that it hasn't been done.

I shall sign your petition!

Thanks dippy  :Thumbs-Up:

Signed and shared . Best of luck Colin with your efforts.

This morning (Good Friday) travelled up Edgar St to Bewell St ( Tesco) Traffic Island , in lane three intending to turn right after the island to travel up Whitecross Rd. Traffic light because it was a BH , forced to stop at the traffic lights on red, with a number of other vehicles , no vehicles approaching from Steels Corner and beyond , if the lights had been switched off over the BH and the junction used as a Give Way junction all traffic would have negotiated the island safely.

In the USA at a number of junctions with Traffic Lights drivers turning right are allowed to use the junction as a Give Way junction rather than comply with the traffic lights - that works very well - let common sense prevail ! This could work very well at a number of junctions in the City.

Signed and shared . Best of luck Colin with your efforts.

This morning (Good Friday) travelled up Edgar St to Bewell St ( Tesco) Traffic Island , in lane three intending to turn right after the island to travel up Whitecross Rd. Traffic light because it was a BH , forced to stop at the traffic lights on red, with a number of other vehicles , no vehicles approaching from Steels Corner and beyond , if the lights had been switched off over the BH and the junction used as a Give Way junction all traffic would have negotiated the island safely.

In the USA at a number of junctions with Traffic Lights drivers turning right are allowed to use the junction as a Give Way junction rather than comply with the traffic lights - that works very well - let common sense prevail ! This could work very well at a number of junctions in the City.

Thank you. Yes the have some brilliant systems in place in the USA and throughout Europe it just seems to be the UK that need to play catch up and stop treating us like we are kids.  :Cool_32: 

Colin.If the scoot system on Newmarket roundabout was working the way it should there would be no point in asking for them to be part time.
The fact is this bloody system needs sorting out as the Highways agency needs to be told every time it f**ks up.
I was also stuck going around the roundabout on Tuesday around 11pm.The scoot system should of changed my light to green as there was no other traffic around.
They need switching off all together as they serve no purpose except cause traffic jams

I noticed that traffic on the South side of town wasn't up to it's normal standard, perhaps everyone was busy somewhere?

Well it depends on what time you witnessed this? I drove down the Belmont Rd yesterday morning at 8.20 and the traffic was horrendous! It took me almost an hour to get to Cotswold BMW, which on a Sunday I can do in 10 mins.

• 2 weeks later...

This seemed like the most relevant place to ask without making a new thread.

I went out at 8am this morning, the traffic was backed up Ross Road past Grafton/Ambulance Station, backed up past Tesco on Belmont and beyond and backed up down Holme Lacy road.

Was it just worst today or is it always like that? I only ask as I rarely go out at that time, if that's how it usually is, I'll avoid doing it again

On Thursday of last week, I was sat going nowhere in Blueschool St (westbound) watching workman digging up new paving which I had seen them digging up a couple of weeks previously. In front of me were 8 - count 'em - 8 red lights at the Widemarsh St junction, all new. I wanted to turn right into Widemarsh St - this filter cycled through to green twice whilst I couldn't move. Far from turning the damned things off, somehow we've ended up with even more lights, and, worse, they don't appear to be intelligently controlled.

On Thursday of last week, I was sat going nowhere in Blueschool St (westbound) watching workman digging up new paving which I had seen them digging up a couple of weeks previously. In front of me were 8 - count 'em - 8 red lights at the Widemarsh St junction, all new. I wanted to turn right into Widemarsh St - this filter cycled through to green twice whilst I couldn't move. Far from turning the damned things off, somehow we've ended up with even more lights, and, worse, they don't appear to be intelligently controlled.

Yes more clutter. I counted 22 traffic light posts in this area. What a way to solve a problem of keeping everything moving!

• 3 months later...