Cyclists on Footpaths!

Frank Smith

• 4 weeks later...

I was crossing the pedestrian crossing in Edgar St yesterday and the lights were on red all cars had stopped and a cyclists rode straight through the lights almost hitting me when I was crossing over, all the cars were blasting their horns at him and he looked but just carried on like it was nothing.

• 2 months later...

At last! A judge with some common sense, read this article

Telegraph Reporters 

20 MARCH 2018 • 9:36PM

Cyclists who ride on pavements are "potential killers", a senior judge has warned as he hit out at the number of people ignoring safety rules.

Judge Anthony Cross QC warned anyone riding their bikes on footpaths posed a "serious risk" to pedestrians and said they would have to face crown court and jail if they knocked someone down - and were caught.

He made the comments at Manchester Crown Court as he spared a photography student from going to prison. Jesus Medina knocked down 72-year-old Marlene Crossley on a footpath, as she emerged from a corner shop in Salford. 

The pensioner  suffered a fractured hip after being spun round by the force of the impact and despite surgery she has not recovered her full mobility and she struggles to sleep at night.

Medina, 24, from Fallowfield, Manchester, had been facing up two years jail after he admitted an offence under the obscure Victorian law of "causing harm by wanton and furious driving." 

But he was ordered to complete 40 hours unpaid work and pay Mrs Crossley £750 compensation after the court heard how he stayed at the scene of the accident to comfort the victim and gave his details to police. 

He also kept in touch with her family to check on her wellbeing and offered to do odd jobs for her husband whilst she was in hospital.

Market Street in Manchester was one of the places the judge said he saw cyclists riding their bikes

Passing sentence Judge Cross said: "It's quite obvious there's a real risk of serious injury caused by people cycling in pedestrian areas in this city.

"People simply don't realise when riding their bikes on footpaths they can kill people. It's obvious that there are real, dangers inherent in anybody riding their bicycle on a pavement the risks to members of the public should not be ignored.

"Here though there are a number of features which distinguish this case from others which are obvious to anybody who walked about this city."

The incident occurred on August 21 last year.

Earlier this month the Department of Transport said it was considering a report saying cyclists involved in fatal accidents should be brought into line with motorists and charged with a new offence of causing death by dangerous cycling. The inquiry was announced after 44-year-old mother-of-two Kim Briggs was knocked over and killed by bicycle courier Charlie Alliston.

• 4 months later...

Another collosion by a cycle rider  on the pavement .

Only last Tuesday I was walking along the pavement  by Yates , walking towards the hospital when for the second time in a short period of time a cyclist actually brushed against my shoulder as he rode in the same direction . 

Hope  that the lady makes a full recovery and the Agencey that can take action against cyclists breaking the law do take the appropriate action ( I am aware that cyclists can ride through High Town between certain hours ) 

11 hours ago, Hereford Voice said:

AN elderly woman was in a collision with a cyclist in Hereford High Town yesterday.

Police are appealing for witnesses to the incident.

If you saw what happened or helped the woman call police on 101 with reference 583s 020818.

The HT report doesn't indicate the time of the collision. Quite how that got missed out is anyone's guess as it is quite important. Cycling is permitted in High Town between 16.30 hrs and 10.30 hrs. Obviously 18 hours of cycling there per day is not a licence to knock people over but the mixed use of High Town makes it anything but a 'pedestrian' zone. There are habitual hazards in the 'pedestrian' spaces in town and people should assume that a vehicle, or cycle, could appear at any time. 24/7.

8 hours ago, Roger said:

The HT report doesn't indicate the time of the collision. Quite how that got missed out is anyone's guess as it is quite important. Cycling is permitted in High Town between 16.30 hrs and 10.30 hrs. Obviously 18 hours of cycling there per day is not a licence to knock people over but the mixed use of High Town makes it anything but a 'pedestrian' zone. There are habitual hazards in the 'pedestrian' spaces in town and people should assume that a vehicle, or cycle, could appear at any time. 24/7.

I don't agree, people should be able to walk about in a PEDESTRIANISED area without having to worry about cars and bikes! 

13 hours ago, Victor Wright said:

I don't agree, people should be able to walk about in a PEDESTRIANISED area without having to worry about cars and bikes! 

High Town is not a pedestrianised area per se. How do you think the shanty town stalls' arrive and leave? There are numerous exemptions in High Town. High Town is probably one of the least pedestrianised spaces in the County. 

23 hours ago, Roger said:

High Town is not a pedestrianised area per se. How do you think the shanty town stalls' arrive and leave? There are numerous exemptions in High Town. High Town is probably one of the least pedestrianised spaces in the County. 

I am obviously referring to times outside of the delivery time window. I see people riding bikes all throughout the day in town. I suggest you sit and have a drink in the city centre for an hour and you will see it for yourself. As for cyclists using footpaths, well that has just become a complete joke.

1 hour ago, Victor Wright said:

I am obviously referring to times outside of the delivery time window. I see people riding bikes all throughout the day in town. I suggest you sit and have a drink in the city centre for an hour and you will see it for yourself. As for cyclists using footpaths, well that has just become a complete joke.

I'm a bit disappointed that you suggest I don't know about the cycle issue in town in the daytime shopping type hours. 

9 hours ago, Roger said:

I'm a bit disappointed that you suggest I don't know about the cycle issue in town in the daytime shopping type hours. 

Roger, I never suggested that you don't know? I merely suggested that maybe you should go and have a drink in the city centre and see it for yourself. This is an issue that the police and CPO's shop;d be dealing with and handy out fines etc.

On 06/08/2018 at 10:25, Victor Wright said:

Roger, I never suggested that you don't know? I merely suggested that maybe you should go and have a drink in the city centre and see it for yourself. This is an issue that the police and CPO's shop;d be dealing with and handy out fines etc.

You are digging an even bigger hole with your reply. Suggesting I don't see the problem in person. I don't live on Mars and I do actually visit Hereford City Centre. I was born here. And I live here. I'm not trawling the internet for facts' to react to. 

9 hours ago, Roger said:

You are digging an even bigger hole with your reply. Suggesting I don't see the problem in person. I don't live on Mars and I do actually visit Hereford City Centre. I was born here. And I live here. I'm not trawling the internet for facts' to react to. 

I dont care too much about digging a hole, I was trying to be polite in my response, but hey ho. Police and CPO's should be doing a lot more about this issue that is my point.

Daily Mail 11th August 2018 page36 ............

Headlines ....Reckless cyclists face tougher jail Sentances .

Para 2 Ministers plan tommake Causing death by dangerous or careless cycling a crime for the first time. This would put cyclists under the same legal sanctions as motorists.

In the Daily Mail today:

Government considering new offence of 'causing death by dangerous cycling'

(extract)

Earlier today the Conservatives official Twitter account shared a photo with the caption: 'We're launching a consultation into dangerous cycling so that our most vulnerable road users are protected.'

The government are considering whether or not to introduce a new offence of 'causing death by dangerous cycling', and have launched a 12-week consultation.

But Olympic hero Chris Boardman has blasted the proposals, saying they would not address the dangers of the road.

Boardman, whose own mother was killed by a truck when cycling in 2016, said he felt 'genuinely sick' after seeing the message on the official party Twitter feed.

BBC radio presenter Jeremy Vine also spoke out about the Tory message.

'When I'm on a bike, I'm a vulnerable road user,' said Vine. 'In 2016 there were 1,700 road deaths; three were caused by cyclists.'

Cycling minister Jesse Norman later apologised after the message sparked a hail of angry responses from bike-users.

Announcing that the tweet had been taken down, Mr Norman said: 'It did not reflect either this set of policy announcements or the very careful work the Government has done to improve road safety for all users, including cyclists. On behalf of all involved, I would like to apologise.'

The Tories must think there are votes in this. However I see more people getting back into their cars if this goes ahead.

I assume that this is the same thing? 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/dangerous-cycling-new-legislation-death-criticised-kim-briggs-uk-a8487701.html

Cyclists should be treated no different to any other road user (or in many cases footpath users), some cyclists travel at very high speeds, not in comparison to cars but within the city limits it is often the same if not more, why should they be treated any different ?  

I was in High Town today and the vehicular/cyclist movement in the 'zero' movement window between 10.30 hrs and 16.30 hrs was totally flouted. The white van on the left was being driven around as I took the picture. Behind me I nearly got knocked over by a cyclist who is not in the picture. The photo was taken at 15.55 hrs. 

IMG_7279.JPG

Walking home this evening to bobblestock and from getting on to grandstand road at widemarsh common and turning off up highmoor street I saw 8 cyclists on the pavement. I wonder whether people actually know it's illegal. The problem seems to be getting worse year on year 

• 2 weeks later...

I was directed to this website via a topic on the Hereford Times website.

Someone goes around taking photos and videos of people cycling on pavements???? Why??!! They obviously, um, "feel very strongly" about this but any claims of it being evidence of widespread wrong-doing is flawed as taking photos of people doing bad things means nothing. I could step outside my front door and take many photos of cars parked on pavements. I could then walk to the end of the road and within a few minutes I'd have some more photos of car drivers jumping the lights. Does that mean all car drivers are criminals, as some of the people here seem to think about cyclists? No, of course it doesn't.

To get anything meaningful a camera would have to be set up to film/take photos for hours or days on end and then the evidence looked at objectively. Expressing outrage at "criminal" cyclists is sliding down the slippery path to Daily Mail Land....

• Like 1

On my travels today I noticed a lot of cyclists around.  Cannot fault the cycling but when will they realise as smart as they look all dressed in black - THEY CANNOT BE SEEN - against the dark of the hedges and trees.  Please any cyclist reading this invest in some hi vis gear - give drivers a chance be clearly visible at all times!

• 2 months later...

I can see more cyclists on the pavement:

New analysis by Brake, the road safety charity, for Road Safety Week, shows that those on two wheels face 63 times higher risk of being killed or seriously injured, per mile travelled, than car drivers.

On average, a cyclist or motorcyclist is killed or seriously injured every hour, on British roads.

Two thirds of bike deaths occur on our rural roads, with the fatal crash risk facing bikes on rural roads at its highest since 2010.

Most drivers (52%) believe that bike riders are most vulnerable on urban roads, but rural roads pose three times the risk of a fatal crash to bike riders.

The analysis marks the start of Road Safety Week (19–25 November), sponsored by Devitt Insurance Services and Ford, which this year urges people, particularly drivers, to be ‘Bike Smart’ to raise awareness about the safety of those on two wheels.

Communities and organisations across the UK take part in Brake’s Road Safety Week – case studies and photo and filming opportunities are available.

Analysis by Brake, the road safety charity, has found that, on average, those on two wheels face 63 times higher risk of being killed or seriously injured on British roads, per mile travelled, than car drivers [1]. Bike riders’ safety is being highlighted as part of national Road Safety Week (19–25 November), coordinated annually by Brake with the 2018 theme ‘Bike Smart’. Brake is calling for drivers to be ‘Bike Smart’ by slowing down, taking care to look properly at junctions and doing the ‘Dutch reach’ to avoid car dooring [2].

Brake’s analysis has highlighted the vulnerability of those on two wheels, who, in comparison with car drivers, are 34 times more likely to be killed and 63 times more likely to be killed or seriously injured, per mile travelled, on British roads [3].

Cyclists and motorcyclists account for nearly 4 in 10 of all deaths and serious injuries on British roads, a total of 9,740 in 2017 or an average of one bike death or serious injury every hour. Bike deaths also make up more than a quarter of all British road deaths, with a total of 101 cyclist deaths and 349 motorcyclist deaths in 2017 [4].

3 hours ago, megilleland said:

I can see more cyclists on the pavement:

New analysis by Brake, the road safety charity, for Road Safety Week, shows that those on two wheels face 63 times higher risk of being killed or seriously injured, per mile travelled, than car drivers.

On average, a cyclist or motorcyclist is killed or seriously injured every hour, on British roads.

Two thirds of bike deaths occur on our rural roads, with the fatal crash risk facing bikes on rural roads at its highest since 2010.

Most drivers (52%) believe that bike riders are most vulnerable on urban roads, but rural roads pose three times the risk of a fatal crash to bike riders.

The analysis marks the start of Road Safety Week (19–25 November), sponsored by Devitt Insurance Services and Ford, which this year urges people, particularly drivers, to be ‘Bike Smart’ to raise awareness about the safety of those on two wheels.

Communities and organisations across the UK take part in Brake’s Road Safety Week – case studies and photo and filming opportunities are available.

Analysis by Brake, the road safety charity, has found that, on average, those on two wheels face 63 times higher risk of being killed or seriously injured on British roads, per mile travelled, than car drivers [1]. Bike riders’ safety is being highlighted as part of national Road Safety Week (19–25 November), coordinated annually by Brake with the 2018 theme ‘Bike Smart’. Brake is calling for drivers to be ‘Bike Smart’ by slowing down, taking care to look properly at junctions and doing the ‘Dutch reach’ to avoid car dooring [2].

Brake’s analysis has highlighted the vulnerability of those on two wheels, who, in comparison with car drivers, are 34 times more likely to be killed and 63 times more likely to be killed or seriously injured, per mile travelled, on British roads [3].

Cyclists and motorcyclists account for nearly 4 in 10 of all deaths and serious injuries on British roads, a total of 9,740 in 2017 or an average of one bike death or serious injury every hour. Bike deaths also make up more than a quarter of all British road deaths, with a total of 101 cyclist deaths and 349 motorcyclist deaths in 2017 [4].

It was never an issue for me growing up, most of these cyclists ride on the footpaths then on the road as and when it suits them.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I see that a local councillor is receiving the credit for this established discussion after a cyclists got injured after colliding with a car last month while riding a bike on a footpath in Hereford. This debate has been discussed for the past 4 years on here 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, H.Wilson said:

I see that a local councillor is receiving the credit for this established discussion after a cyclists got injured after colliding with a car last month while riding a bike on a footpath in Hereford. This debate has been discussed for the past 4 years on here 

A local stalker must have seen the hv Twitter post early this morning about just this, MASSIVE coincidence that 🤔