Traffic was much lighter for most of yesterday, so I have to agree that the traffic definately flows much better when these traffic lights are not on. Tey must be fixed now though as I noticed that late yesterday they were back on unfortunately. I am surprised that local Councillors have not tried to get these lights turned off as it clearly reduces traffic building up like it does normally all the way out to the Clehongher turning most days.

I have asked for these lights to be turned off perminantly following Colin's suggestion! I also put it in my press story to the Journal as part of my story about Rockfield closing to make way for the 'road to no where' relief road. For a while at this weekend I thought Herefordshire Council had listened, then I found out there was something wrong with the lights.

I have asked for these lights to be turned off perminantly! I also put it in my press story to the Journal as part of my story about Rockfield closing to make way for the 'road to no where' relief road. For a while at this weekend I thought Herefordshire Council had listened, then I found out there was something wrong with the lights.

These lights clearly need to be left off, why are the Council not sitting there and comparing traffic when the lights are on and the lights are off?

The traffic flows much better with the removal of traffic lights and road signs as shown in the following examples in Drachten, Netherlands.

The big problem is that A49 and A465 highway/roundabout is managed by the Highways Agency whose speciality is laying down as much concrete as possible and installing road signs every few yards along the route.

Look at the savings they made in Drachten. Also the Drachten experiment was more in the centre of the city so slightly different here. The problem is that all the traffic blocking the roads in Hereford is locally generated - take that out by using cycles and public transport then things should move a lot easier.

“Naked Streets†Without Traffic Lights Improve Flow and Safety

European Towns Remove Traffic Signs to Make Streets Safer

Magic Moments

The traffic flows much better with the removal of traffic lights and road signs as shown in the following examples in Drachten, Netherlands.

The big problem is that A49 and A465 highway/roundabout is managed by the Highways Agency whose speciality is laying down as much concrete as possible and installing road signs every few yards along the route.

Look at the savings they made in Drachten. Also the Drachten experiment was more in the centre of the city so slightly different here. The problem is that all the traffic blocking the roads in Hereford is locally generated - take that out by using cycles and public transport then things should move a lot easier.

“Naked Streets” Without Traffic Lights Improve Flow and Safety

European Towns Remove Traffic Signs to Make Streets Safer

Magic Moments

I have been asking for these traffic lights at the bottom of the Belmont Road to be turned off forever! The cases above just highlight that traffic flows much better when the traffic lights are turned off. I really do not understand WHY the Council have not at least had a trial for a few months at the very least.

Taken from Here for Hereford website:

An Open Forum to discuss Transport Options for Herefordshire

Saturday 22nd September 2012 from 10.30 am to 12.30pm

Hedley Lodge, Belmont Abbey, Hereford HR2 9RZ

Let’s talk about RAIL…. Let’s talk about CYCLING…..

And BUS ROUTES…SCHOOL RUNS…CAR SHARING…

What ARE our Transport Options and What SHOULD they be?

Air your views and contribute to the Council’s consultation on

AN INTERIM TRANSPORT PLAN FOR HEREFORDSHIRE

Speakers are Cabinet Member for Education and Infrastructure, Cllr Graham Powell ; Cllr Adrian Bridges on Rail Infrastructure and Services…

and we will also be hearing from Council officers and consultants on a range of transport options. Bill Wiggin MP also hopes to attend.

PLUS

WE WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU

Herefordshire Council’s transport consultation commenced on 10th September 2012. Here for Hereford will submit proceedings of this Open Forum to the Council as part of the consultation. All those attending can respond to the consultation separately and/or agree that their comments can be included in the Here For Hereford’s Open Forum submission to the Council.

Please note that the consultation closes on 16th November 2012.

Background papers and Council questionnaires can be found at: http://www.herefords...nsport/3204.asp

Thanks to Belmont Abbey for the use of their premises. Entry and refreshments, served from 10.00am, are free of charge. Booking is not required. Any queries please email vickiweggprosser@gmail.com

or write to Here for Hereford, PO Box 313, Hereford. HR1 9JO, with an SAE for reply.

Could be worth a look in

I have registered an online e-petition with Herefordshire Council;

Turn Off The Traffic Lights At The Asda Junction Hereford Where The A465 Meets The A49

We the undersigned petition the council to either turn these traffic lights permanently off and return this junction to a roundabout, thus allowing the traffic to flow or turn the traffic lights off on a trail basis for a minimum trial period of 3 months in order to prove that these traffic lights are causing the long traffic queues from both the A465 and or the A49 from the south.

The traffic coming into Hereford along the A465 or A49 is a joke and this is regardless of the time of day but obviously during peak times it is ridiculous! The main problem here is clearly these traffic lights, please turn them off and put this junction back as a roundabout! and keep the traffic flowing.

• 3 weeks later...

Gloucester switch their lights off in a number of key areas and they've been doing it for a couple of years.

Whenever the lights are off on the ring road that leads to Birdlip there is never a traffic problem and if ever our Council give this suggestion a try, they and we will discover that our traffic congestion problems will be eased.

Gloucester switch their lights off in a number of key areas and they've been doing it for a couple of years.

Whenever the lights are off on the ring road that leads to Birdlip there is never a traffic problem and if ever our Council give this suggestion a try, they and we will discover that our traffic congestion problems will be eased.

We have asked even for a 3 month trial, I would appreciate your signature and if you could spread the word about my petition Bobby :Thumbs-Up:

• 2 weeks later...

I am disappointed that more people have not sign the petition, as you have seen before on another post I also put the question to council on 28th Sept for a 3 month trial,and ask for the highway agency to turn them off. Come on the people who use this road on a daily basis! if you don't sign the petition nothing will happen!!!

Hello to all

I am new to forum and perhaps not fully understanding what is being suggested.

As i remember it prior to the traffic lights it was very difficult gaining accesss to the roundabout from the A465 because of the volume of traffic with right of way from the A49.

Ken, welcome to the forums it's good to have you with us. Yes there was an issue some years ago about higher volumes of traffic coming from the A49 but since then Hereford council or the Highways Agency have made the junction a complete and utter mess. But I have experiennced and much better flow of traffic on the occasion when these traffic lights have been out of order and Colin's picture only prove this point. I think you are referring back many years ago when this junction was just a roundabout, I think it has changed a lot since then in fairness nevertheless a vaild point.

Many years ago, in Belgium they had a system where a flashing amber light indicated a junction and give priority to traffic coming from the right.

This worked very well, and I also believe in some cases like major junctions in large cities the normal lights operated as required. ie in major cities where gridlock couldnt be avoided. I remember recently coming down Ross road on Saturday morning and was shocked to drive thru the Asda rounderbout, no traffic to speak of. Guess what the traffic light were out.

Many years ago, in Belgium they had a system where a flashing amber light indicated a junction and give priority to traffic coming from the right.

This worked very well, and I also believe in some cases like major junctions in large cities the normal lights operated as required. ie in major cities where gridlock couldnt be avoided. I remember recently coming down Ross road on Saturday morning and was shocked to drive thru the Asda rounderbout, no traffic to speak of. Guess what the traffic light were out.

I like the idea of a flashing amber light. Welcome to Belmont Voice John :Thumbs-Up: