New Black Bins, Max 4 Bags a Fortnight - f*** Off

Biomech

How do the bins work for Houses in Multiple Occupancy* anyone? I've read all the council stuff and can't find any mention. 

660LFlatGreencomplete.jpg

I walked up Aylestone Hill today and there is a multi occupancy house there (opposite Southbank Road) with two Council badged sulo style bins outside. One green and one black. I imagine you get these if you qualify ... 

Walking through Sherborne Close over the week end and yet again notice residents' black bags put out early for Tuesday collection. Also fly-tiping behind the electric sub-station. Nothing odd about that. It is a regular occurence even though I have drawn atttention to this problem since June 2010!

However I was thinking maybe their collection day has changed with the new arrangements. But this cannot be the case as so many people have put black bags out for collection on Tuesday.

If they were unaware or couldn't be bothered that their collection date has changed then that means these black bags could be left outside for another week. The area as it stands is a total disgrace and the council and Herefordshire Housing need to sort this out now.

I also notice stray black bags all over the estate so someone needs to get on top of this before we are up to our necks in rubbish.

post-2-0-92417300-1415802841.jpg

post-2-0-26955400-1415802883.jpg

Roger has pointed out that the large wheelie bins for mutli-occupation houses and flats provide the best answer - why don't they do it!

Just wondering if the Council are aware of these houses of multiple occupancy .? Don't they have to be registered with the Council ?

Must add , nothing has hanged in my house - one and half bags of household rubbish and a ful recycle bin.

I am sure that Megilleland can advise me on how the Council propose to save ( I think ) £500000 with the new collection system . And is that before or after they have paid for the black wheelie bin including delivery etc and adjusting the rear of there vehicles to take wheelie bins plus the purchase of new vehicles ?

Thanks dippy , amended . Hope my previous didn't offend anybody .

Instead of picking up black bags one week and green bins the next, why can't they pick up both on the same day. This woud be clearer for those that can't think beyond today. Also we would only get the dust carts up the street once every two weeks and get a quiet lie in every other week.

Not quite sure why H- M- O has fallen foul, in both my post and Ubiques..........it stands for homes with multiple occupancy, and is definitely not a rude word that requires editing!

If there already "hotspots" appearing, then this really is something that needs getting to grips with. At the end of the day, we all need to try to generate less waste, and recycle/ compost all that we can.

Unfortunately, there will always be those who can't/won't make that effort, and are not particularly bothered by any consequences.

This will lead to our streets, our city, our county looking increasingly uncared for. Once that happens, it's a domino effect. Folks start to think, well if everybody else isn't bothered by it, then why should I? And before you know it, an entire area can become an eye sore.

Instead of picking up black bags one week and green bins the next, why can't they pick up both on the same day. This woud be clearer for those that can't think beyond today. Also we would only get the dust carts up the street once every two weeks and get a quiet lie in every other week.

Because then it wouldn't be alternate weekly collections, and save us all this money!!

(Comment above made with tongue firmly in cheek!!)

Yes, H_M_O's have to be registered with the council (and meet minimum standards), so, left hand meet right hand - Sulo type bins to H_M_O's - not so hard to arrange surely? Better still just put a skip in every street and we all chuck in as many bags as we want - bound to be cheaper and will accelerate that 'third world' look the council has been trying to achieve for some while now.

I suspect licensing of H_M_O's has gone the way of everything else, council wise, take the license money and do little in exchange.

The Council do not want to know about Homes Of Multi Occupancy. They're to scared to lift up that particular stone and learn what lies beneath it. If they did, they'd quickly have to amend the real population figures in the City. Theyd sooner read the information provided by the Census than be forced to open their eyes and address this problem that's blindingly obvious to the Health Service, the Education System and all the other public services that have all been strained to the limit.

Easier to blame the ageing population for all our woes than be truthful to themselves. It'll take another five years of social development before they'll ever get round to acknowledging that the ageing population ain't the real reason why we are all in trouble.

For now, let's allow the ageing population to take the blame for the mounting piles of rubbish that are generated from homes that contain far to many people. It's much easier to do that and it rarely causes any offence.

Well I hate the wheelie bins they are ugly all lined up outside peoples houses! I think they should have only been given to people who had storage at the rear of their property. The streets look awful and people are losing pride in their properties, the little two bed terrace houses on the estates have tiny front gardens and the bins take up the whole of the front gardens.

I guess it is easy for me as a single person. I rarely buy more than I need, generate very little waste and use a compost bin (although this has now been invaded by a rat).

People do need to review what they buy and how they chuck it away - waste, recycling, compost. The supermarkets just don't help or care.

That said I do have sympathy for large households and particularly those with babies.

Perhaps the Council could be more proactive. Rather than just putting explanatory leaflets through letterboxes they could offer a more bespoke service with one of their team visiting larger households and discussing the problems.

But the more we chuck away the more landfill tax we have to pay. We are fortunate that the waste all goes to Worcestershire and there may be an incinerator in the future. Imagine the uproar if the Council had to find a waste tip in Herefordshire!!

Video duration: 02:41

Councils are tightening the purse strings but the BBC has found many are also paying millions in fines because they have missed their European targets on recycling. 

Tom Turrell spoke to Anthony Blagg, a Conservative member of Worcestershire County Council, UKIP MEP Mike Nattrass and the Green Party's Malcolm Victory.

Maybe that's why the council is leaving it on the streets in order to save landfill tax. No mention how much Herefordshire has been fined, if at all.

It's not only people with babies.  Think back a couple of months and collection of yellow bags was stopped.  These bags contained clinical waste (soiled pads/stoma bags and the such like) from people who through no fault of their are not always able to use the toilet like so many of us more fortunate people are.  This is now being stored in black bags for 2 weeks.  Many of these people are being cared for by their partners or offspring with little else help from the outside world.  They too are often infirm and more often do not drive so it has to stay sat there in a black bag for a fortnight.  Or perhaps they have outside carers well sorry these carers do not have the time to take these bags down to the tip plus health and safety issue. Remember these just same carers are going to their next "service user".  Once upon a time if the infirm could not manage the black bags/bins there was an arrangement with the trusty bin ben that they would collect the rubbish from outside the door or whatever.  Sadly it appears those days are well and truly over.  Compassion seems to be disappearing from this county very rapidly.   

I have a question:

1. Can I request a larger black bin? (The same size as my recycle bin would of been ideal. I fail to see how you can physically manage to put 4 black bags in this little wheelie bin? If it were the same size as my green recycle bin I may have a chance.

I could do with a bigger one too. 

In other news, I have a bag of grass rotting in my garage - can't go in the bin, can't go in the recycling, rubbish men won't take it. So.... it's still there, stinking the place out. If I'm expected to drive to the tip to dispose of it, they then can expect an invoice to my time and fuel.

Have you never seen/read  "The Great Escape" and how they disposed of tunnel soil without arousing the suspicion of the camp authorities?

I suggest you invent a cotton bag full of grass cuttings that you put down inside your trousers.  Then stroll around in the shire hall or outside Plough Lane slowly releasing the cuttings onto the floor using an ingenious pin mechanism.   They will never suspect.

Just don't try to make your getaway on a motorbike over the fence (or by train, you'll be delayed).

It's my Household rubbish collection day tomorrow - my decision is , shall I get up at 0625 tomorrow to put my bin out at the curtlage of my home or do I do it tonight .

Let me explain my problem ( well one of them !) we live on a country land 3 m wide. Coming up the lane just before our home is a bend, visibility around the bend is restricted . The front of my home is about 5m back from the edge of my boundary , it's all hard standing which vehicles use as a passing place - I have no problem with that - the problem that I have is that for the last 9 years I have placed my bin / black bagby the house so that the bin people have to roll it an extra 5m to the vehicle . In the past this has allowed vehicles using the lane including many farm vehicles a layby to use so that vehicles may pass in safety.

The new collectors, for whatever reason ( think that it's their instructions , which are black and white with no discretion ) have been placing the bin on my property but only a smigin off the lane . If I am at home I can rescue the bin quickly otherwise it's parked / dumped correctly on my property but within the firing line of vehicles using the lane.

Rambling on but I am glad to read on the bin that it's the property of HCC so I presume that they will replace it if damaged by vehicle etc

I will finally add that I am going to ask / request that the bin people do return the bin closer to our home

The bags on the pavement I pictured at post #89 yesterday remain in situ ... So whether the Council want to turn that into a fly-tipping matter is up to them. The householder has took their bin back in tho. I suppose so it don't get stolen ... 

Why would anyone do that, it makes no sense. Take the wheelie bin back, yet leave the sacks of THEIR rubbish on the pavement.

Ridiculous. If I lived next to them, I'd knock on the door and have a polite word.

I live half a street away ... If I was next door I would have been round there already! You can't just leave trash lurking! Multi-occupancy places can blame it on someone else .... Naples has got it worse tho .... Lots of rubbish in Naples ... 

Surely there are lots of opportunities for neighbourliness and community spirit in this.

Our household, most of the time is two of us.    We won't need 4 bags a fortnight most of the time.  Our neighbours, with three teenagers may need more than 4.   I think I will design a signal system on my bin that says how many vacant bag spaces there are in our bin if the neighbours want to take advantage on the collection morning.

I guess it is easy for me as a single person. I rarely buy more than I need, generate very little waste and use a compost bin (although this has now been invaded by a rat).

People do need to review what they buy and how they chuck it away - waste, recycling, compost. The supermarkets just don't help or care.

I recycle more than I should, my bin is frequently over capacity. Recycle or waste, either way, the bins can't cope with the amount of waste we have.

Why would anyone do that, it makes no sense. Take the wheelie bin back, yet leave the sacks of THEIR rubbish on the pavement.

Collection date has passed, it's now the property of the council as far as I'm concerned and the council are now responsible for fly tipping.

You can get bigger recyclers, not sure about black ones - should be able to considering how they are even smaller than the green wheelies (and much weaker plastic, I wonder how they will stand up).

You can get/check details on the HC website about waste.

As for the grass in black bags in my garage - still there. I guess soon I'll have some nice new compost lol