New Black Bins, Max 4 Bags a Fortnight - f*** Off

Biomech

Hi Magic!

Nice to see you back!

Even if folks get sent one, they can't be forced to use it.......can they??

Our house is completely unsuitable.....very little space at the front, and no rear access......so no bin for me!

Hoorah!

If I get sent one that I'm not expecting, I shall remove the lid, turn it upside down and spray paint it.....it will make a great dalek costume!

Imagine it, come the revolution, an army of angry daleks marching on Plough Lane......at least we would get to stay anonymous!

This is current advice relative to green wheelie bins - it doesn't relate to the forthcoming black wheelie bins, where you will indeed be able to stuff them full of black bagged rubbish. It is confusing though, but confusion is something that the council excel at.

Yeah ... I just threw the comment in there for fun really ... If I was honest I think a green bin of recycling must be lighter if it wasn't compacted ... Cans/bottles/ are mostly air ... General rubbish might well be more solid ... 

Will I be forced to have one?

If I get sent one that I'm not expecting, I shall remove the lid, turn it upside down and spray paint it.....it will make a great dalek costume!

Sell it, make some money. As I say, if it remains the property of the council, then once my rubbish is in it, it's there's and if it's not taken away I'll report them for fly tipping :)

Now I am a little confused - I have a dustbin so does that mean I can knock a few holes in the bottom of my new wheelie bin and try growing some potatoes in it.  Please somebody tell me where the saving is

That's a good idea. I'm happy to use my black one but I have a black plastic one already (I wonder if I can get a refund on that). Perhaps I could spray my black one green to have 2 recyclers - maybe then I'll be able to fit all of my waste in and they'll actually collect it!

Hi Guys, my information is that the company is based in Hampshire but the bins will be made at its German base.

The normal tendering process will have been gone through and will be open for the external auditors to examine should there be a complaint.

As to what you do with your bin when you get one, I can think of a number of things but let's not go there!

Well I ain't accepting delivery of their German manufactured plastic bin because I'm a black plastic bin bag man. Always have been and always will be. What's more, my old man would'nt have been a black plastic bin bag man if they'd been available back then because he was a silver metal dust bin man. Always was and always would have been had it not been for the Tram that flattened him near Lime Street Station.

They can get stuffed. I ain't having it. I'd sooner become a fly tipper than comply with this latest instruction. They'll never get me to use the blasted thing. Never!

Hi Guys, my information is that the company is based in Hampshire but the bins will be made at its German base.

The normal tendering process will have been gone through and will be open for the external auditors to examine should there be a complaint.

As to what you do with your bin when you get one, I can think of a number of things but let's not go there! 

And what about if central government make fortnightly collections illegal

Or what about when Hereford Council decide to force us into collections every three weeks, like other councils?

What then? Where's the comment on that?

Don't know why people oppose having black bins? In my old street when we put out black bags the seagulls would rip them apart, scattering the contents all over the street and with the type of neighbourhood it was everyone just left it there and said its someone elses problem cos i can't be arsed to clean it up even though its my rubbish.

Also fattend up the gulls so they could breed more and encouraged them to nest there too.

I don't think many people are? I want a black bin. 

What we're pissed off with is giving this council more and more of our money for them to do less and less. We're pissed off about having to have plastic containers of rotting flesh and animal **** in our gardens that are only collected twice a month - or once a month if you happen to be on holiday or miss it - or they don't bother to collect it, as they didn't yet again with my recycling this week

I think it's a weight issue Ubique, with those wheelies they attach it to the bin lorry and the lorry lifts them up to empty them. 

Guess what, my recycling wasn't emptied yet again. Which means this week there's going to be a lot of overspill in bags, I wonder what will happen....

Another issue that has come to light via a friend, who lives in a flatted development - a conversion of a large listed building - they presently have large Sulo wheelie bins for their rubbish, into which they put their black bags. These are contained in an enclosure. When they go fortnightly, they will need twice as many Sulo bins - who will supply these and where will they go? Will the Council supply them and will they also pay for an enlarged enclosure - which would need planning permission and listed building consent?

• 1 month later...

Yes , you are correct re size , thinking that the Council have done this for two reasons ...

1. If you are colour blind you should be able to see the difference in size !

2. A bit of sycoligy , put more in the green bin

Was going to say 3 . Cost , but having read so many articles about this Council whereby cost didn't come into the plan thought that it wasn't a good reason - the bins coming from Germany for some reason?

• 3 weeks later...
20 October 2014 BBC North West Wales

Food waste and recyclable products will be collected weekly but household rubbish will from now be picked up every 21 days instead of fortnightly.

The new collection scheme has been introduced in the Dwyfor area and will be rolled out across the rest of the country in 2015.

Gwynedd council approved the plan in April despite protests from residents.

The council said it would save it £350,000 a year as well as reducing landfill waste and encouraging recycling.

Fears have been raised over vermin problems, and some residents have concerns about the new recycling system which they've been trialling in recent weeks.

But officials say they are happy for genuine concerns to be raised, and the council - which says other local authorities are now considering a similar approach - is confident the new system will work.

Three-week bin collection scheme gets under way in Gwynedd

So if you miss a collection while on holiday your rubbish putrefies for 6 weeks.

Well, I've said it before and seeing as I've buggar all else to do, I'll say it again. I will never use that German contraption. Never. Ever! I'll be damned if I do. Not withstanding the fact that they bombed my local chippy in forty four and they always beat us at just about everything, I refuse on principle to help the mighty Deutch economy prop up all these impoverished European nations who's economies are sucking the life out if what's left of the European Union. Never!

In fact, they can send Angela Merkel round to my house and she can demand that I use her black plastic bin and I'll tell her, 'clear off Chancellor. You've no jurisdiction round these parts. Go sell your bin to you continental friends. I'm a black plastic bin bag man'.

Clearly exasperated by my belligerent attitude, she can say, 'Vee vill svitch off your utilities if you don't use vee bin', and I'll tell her, 'do your bloody worst Merkel. The January temperatures can hit minus bloody forty and bring me close to death and I'll never waver. I am not using your bin', and I'll slam the door shut howling, 'get stuffed Angela'.

On Wirral we had 3 wheelie bins each with a fortnightly collection.  Grey bins are for bottles and paper green bins for general waste and a brown bin for garden rubbish which is turned into compost and sold back to residents.  This service was paid for through our council tax.  However, last year following an alleged “consultation†with residents the Council introduced a £35 charge for the brown bin.  Long before the “consultation†was complete and the votes counted the Council had printed the documentation explaining how to register and pay for the brown bin thus proving to everyone that it wasn’t in fact a consultation, but a decision taken behind closed doors and a fait accompli.  In essence you now have to have a licence attached to your brown bin or it doesn’t get emptied.

The result has been that only a third of residents took up the Council’s kind offer to pay for something they felt they were already paying for through their council tax.  As yet we are still allowed to put a small amount of garden waste into the green bins, but of course this goes to landfill and is environmentally detrimental.   The Council was left with thousands of unwanted brown bins which it went round collecting and to date we still don’t know what happened to them as the Council won’t say.  If you are new to the area and wish to join the brown bin club as well as your £35 annual fee you have to buy the bin for £25.

Undeterred by the reluctance of residents to join the scheme, the Council went ahead and created a new appointment of Brown Bin Controller or some such grand title at a salary (it was leaked) of £40,000 a year.  On the first few occasions of brown bin emptying under licence an extra crew man was also employed to walk ahead with a clip board and check that the bin qualified for the service.  We believe this has now been computerised and the refuse collectors have been provided with a direct link to the brown bin controller’s data.

And so.......... something which worked perfectly well, was environmentally good and came under the general heading of Refuse Collection has been taken out of council tax and essentially privatised.  To finish this never ending story; we have noticed the refuse collectors are now snooping into our bins before emptying and in fact our neighbour had a sticker attached to his grey bin saying that they could not empty it as it contained inappropriate material!  We are not sure what he has been up to, but this sounds a bit like the check outs in the supermarket which keep saying unidentified object in the bagging area.  Something as simple as refuse collection has now become a Council obsession and we wouldn’t be surprised if next year the grey bin goes down the same route with yet another new appointment of Grey Bin Controller.  Beware.

The welcome pack with the new black bin contains a self adhesive sticker, onto which you are supposed to write your house name/number, and stick it to the bin. I note with some amusement that these do not appear to be waterproof - walking through town today pretty much each one I saw was already peeling off.