New Black Bins, Max 4 Bags a Fortnight - f*** Off

Biomech

I wonder if this is a health and safety issue for the bin men??

I have seen the bin lorries which are fitted with the lifting mechanism, and they just flip the contents of the wheelies into the back of the refuse trucks.

Not all trucks seem to be fitted with them though.

I should imagine, that if you have to manually reach right in for that bottom sack, it would put quite a strain on your lower back.

I would be interested in knowing how many of the fleet are fitted with the mechanical lifters, and how many are still reliant on the bin men to do all the hard work??

Having driven up Whitecross Rd. this lunchtime , well 2pm , that's Mrs U and my lunch time - calling into the Monument for a very nice lunch..... Noticed a few houses up,from the Church was a house which had a black wheelie bin outside - it also had about 7 black bags of , I presume household rubbish - there were two young lads trying to tidy up the black bags which had obversely been attacked by the local feral friends . I must presume that this house was a *** but the Council were not aware otherwise I would think that they would have made alternative arrangements instead of delivering a four bag wheelie bin .

I have seen the bin lorries which are fitted with the lifting mechanism, and they just flip the contents of the wheelies into the back of the refuse trucks.

Not all trucks seem to be fitted with them though.

I should imagine, that if you have to manually reach right in for that bottom sack, it would put quite a strain on your lower back.

I would be interested in knowing how many of the fleet are fitted with the mechanical lifters, and how many are still reliant on the bin men to do all the hard work??

My bin lorry (without fail) is one that has a lift on the back that seems to shake the bin twice to get the stuff out. 

So why are the bin men causing trouble?

They appear to be upset & instead of complaining to those who pay them they're being awkward to their customers!

I know nobody likes change but maybe the bin men intend to make sure the new collection processes don't work? They forgot to empty my bin this week, they walked straight past it. When questioned the answer was tough so I walked it across the road to the lorry myself. Both bins are full every week so if they won't take additional bags then what would have happened 2 weeks later?

The original topic discussed weight and maximum amounts of black bags and constantly we here of rubbish being left or bins not emptied. On the do and don't documents sent around with the new black bin weekly chart, it does state you can use any bags! Maybe we should all use small carrier bags and see if they leave any of them!

Just being awkward if you ask me, now they can't even be assed to move a bin ON WHEELS and have a HYDRAULIC MACHINE to the lifting. Ridiculous

I did mention this before the whole fiasco started - that these wheelies would require the trucks to be retrofitted with lifting mechanisms and how that cost would impact on any saving.

only1dean - so I hear, but if there's a 4 bag maximum, is that 4 black bags? Or 4 bags, if it's just 4 bags, then we'll just get less in by using carrier bags. And if there's a weight limit, it makes the point fairly mute either way.

Roger , Is that the same as " Prepare to move " .?

Must say that my recycling bin was emptied today , no complaints , after emptying it they put it back to where I had left it , clear of the pullin used by vehicles on this single track lane . What I find of interest , ( to me ) is that they do not appear to have sorted out their route , one week they come up my lane , two weeks later down the lane , today it was up the lane !

• 1 month later...

I notice that one of these flats is on the market and the service charge quoted is £50 a month. Obviously doesn't cover waste removal and keeping the common parts clean and tidy. And to think you are paying council tax as well - a marvellous service from the managing agents and council's viewpoint - take the money and run.

• 1 month later...

Council: 'Recycling will solve overflowing bin problem'

river_view.jpg

A RESIDENT has raised concerns about the amount of rubbish building up between bin collections- although the council said if more recycling took place- there wouldn't be a problem.

Kevin Williams lives at River View in Putson, Hereford and said since the weekly bin collections for general rubbish changed from weekly to fortnightly, the bins have been overflowing.

He said: "They are full after a week- when the weather starts to get warmer it will be a haven for rats."

There are three 660 litre bins for general rubbish for each block of six flats at River View.

A spokesman for Herefordshire Council said: "This is nearly double the size of the standard black waste bin supplied to households which are 180 litres and still larger than the higher capacity black waste bins (240 Litres) we can supply if requested by household.

"As we wish to encourage more recycling and less waste we are currently working with Herefordshire housing to put in place more recycling and work with the residents to promote this and other forms of waste disposal such as composting. If residents can be encouraged to recycle they shouldn’t have any problems with overflowing bins."

Hereford Times

The Council are quite clearly not encouraging recycling if they allocate the equivalent of a 330 litre rubbish bin to each flat when regular households get a 180 litre bin.

The massive bins get full because they're there and will attract any old disposal. People will just lash stuff into an overflowing bin cause they can.

• 1 month later...

Out and about in Whitecross this evening, I spotted a pile of 13 black bags, all with red stickers on saying "You have exceeded your black bag allowance."

Trouble is, in these little side streets where the bin bags are predominantly put out in groups...... nobody knows whose bags are whose. There may be some who have only put out two.... some have obviously put out a lot more, but not knowing where the bags originated from means they are just going to be left, with nobody taking responsibility for them.

With the warm weather over the past few days, the smell when I walked past was already overwhelming.

And we are paying even more for the priviledge.

Council tax escalating whilst services plummet.  Doesn't seem fair to anyone.

Don't know what the long term solution is, but what we've got isn't working.

Even the recycling is a feint nod compared to what other local authorities provide.  Why shouldn't garden waste be acceptable? Or, for that matter, anything that can be reprocessed and reused FOR A PROFIT? - Feels like very short-sighted policy

Out and about in Whitecross this evening, I spotted a pile of 13 black bags, all with red stickers on saying "You have exceeded your black bag allowance."

Trouble is, in these little side streets where the bin bags are predominantly put out in groups...... nobody knows whose bags are whose. There may be some who have only put out two.... some have obviously put out a lot more, but not knowing where the bags originated from means they are just going to be left, with nobody taking responsibility for them.

With the warm weather over the past few days, the smell when I walked past was already overwhelming.

Have households in those side street got black wheelie bins? If they have the Council won't even pick up one loose bag off the pavement. Or are they properties where wheelie bins won't fit? 

Hi Roger, I've walked down this street on bin day before, and it does seem to be mainly bags...... with about 20%of properties having wheelies.

As I said in my post, there seems to be a bit of an area where lots of people put their bags out, so it's now impossible to tell which bags belong where!

Consequently, nobody is taking responsibility for them.

• 2 weeks later...

Today my black wheelie bin was due to be emptied . It contained two black plastic bags and a 5 L empty paint container . To the layman , ( me ) it would be classed as plastic BUT printed on the side of this container were the words

" Paint can - plastic - not currently recycled "

When we returned from town the wheelie bin had been emptied and the empty paint container was placed on top of the lid so my question is - how do I dispose of this container ?

( OK , next week it will be in my recycle bin - if that fails it will be in a bag in the household rubbish bin )

Today my black wheelie bin was due to be emptied . It contained two black plastic bags and a 5 L empty paint container . To the layman , ( me ) it would be classed as plastic BUT printed on the side of this container were the words

" Paint can - plastic - not currently recycled "

When we returned from town the wheelie bin had been emptied and the empty paint container was placed on top of the lid so my question is - how do I dispose of this container ?

How have the binmen got time to check the contents of the black bin? I can understand if they drag it to the wagon and it feels overly heavy ... But 2 bags and a paint pot? I would have thought they would have just put it on the hoist and emptied it ... 

I am glad I do not have a green or black bin. I did have a letter last year I think saying that I could have a green bin. Yeah, with a set of steps? no thank you, just because my next door neighbour asked for one, do not mean I want one.

The main problem I have with the new service is other people sticking their rubbish they can not fit into their bin outside my place. I know where it comes from and I kicked it back there. It have got better and I have not had them do it for a few weeks now.

My next door neighbour does, but then I said if I have less than four bags they are welcomed to put their rubbish outside my place. No skin of my nose, at least they asked.

I admit I do not recycle, but being single I can get away with one black back a fortnight, sometimes two. I am paying more for less service, so they can stick their recycling where the sun don't shine.

Having just watched some of programme on rubbish in Newcastle - I hope some of HC watch it they could learn a few things.  Food bins - for compost scrap food.  A small fee charged by the council to collect items not suitable for general rubbish.  This is intended to save on fly tipping.  A warehouse/shop opened to sell  unwanted good stuff instead of chucking it in landfill.  I stopped watching it then out of sheer frustration at our Council.