New Black Bins, Max 4 Bags a Fortnight - f*** Off

Biomech

Just spoken to Herefordshire Housing and they are sending up the neighbourhood officer to look at it. 

I imagine the Officer won't see very much different to whats in that picture. A pointless waste of fuel. There's only two options here. Leave the pile of trash. Or send someone up in a truck to get rid of it ... 

It's my Household rubbish collection day tomorrow - my decision is , shall I get up at 0625 tomorrow to put my bin out at the curtlage of my home or do I do it tonight .

Let me explain my problem ( well one of them !) we live on a country land 3 m wide. Coming up the lane just before our home is a bend, visibility around the bend is restricted . The front of my home is about 5m back from the edge of my boundary , it's all hard standing which vehicles use as a passing place - I have no problem with that - the problem that I have is that for the last 9 years I have placed my bin / black bagby the house so that the bin people have to roll it an extra 5m to the vehicle . In the past this has allowed vehicles using the lane including many farm vehicles a layby to use so that vehicles may pass in safety.

The new collectors, for whatever reason ( think that it's their instructions , which are black and white with no discretion ) have been placing the bin on my property but only a smigin off the lane . If I am at home I can rescue the bin quickly otherwise it's parked / dumped correctly on my property but within the firing line of vehicles using the lane.

Rambling on but I am glad to read on the bin that it's the property of HCC so I presume that they will replace it if damaged by vehicle etc

I will finally add that I am going to ask / request that the bin people do return the bin closer to our home

you need one of these round the corner

[url=http://s34.photobucket.com/user/quattro_6900/media/bin.jpg.html]bin.jpg

Herefordman75 - Thanks for that info - problem is that anything similar is a fair target in the lane , the tractors and other farm vehicles are trying to make the lane wider by running over the verges - only started this year when the Coop Fruit Farm was sold to another Company .

As an aside I spoke to the driver / attendant of the household rubbish vehicle last Friday , for the first time in the 9 years we have lived here the Refuse Vehicle came down the lane rather than up . Spoke to the New Driver / attendant ( the only person on the vehicle - ) he apparently has been given a list of properties on his Round and a free licence to decide his route ! Has agreed to place the bin further back from the road .

Further to that - I worry about Biomech grass cuttings so here is my tip of the day , the wheelie bin is placed up to the back of the bin and once contact is made with the clamp it's automatically lifted up and tips the contents into the cart without the lid opening until the bin is verticle sooooooooo perhaps it's worth a try . Once it's on landfill it will soon blend in .

Tee Hee Hereford man 75, that picture made me chuckle!

Hi Ubique, don't you worry about Biomechs grass clippings, I have given this some thought. I intend to ask him to pm me his address, and I shall send him a couple of Herefordshire Council approved green bags. I shall call it a Christmas gift!

Merry Christmas Biomech! Just what you always wanted!

Just spoken to Herefordshire Housing and they are sending up the neighbourhood officer to look at it. If there is a place that could do with a large communal bin then this it.

Re: Your last post ... Did anyone visit and did you get any feedback? 

No, nothing at all. Maybe Glenda can sort it out?

That bin should (in theory) not get emptied as it's too full ... rule breaking bin .... But ... you see my point ... Piles of rubbish will just get fly tipped if they want to restrict stuff at The Council ... That must surely cost more to sort out? 

Biomech -Good Morning , just another thought , many , many years ago my hobby was Stamp Collecting , people gave me stamps for my collection ........My question is. .....as collecting grass appears to be your hobby would you like others to help you increase your grass cuttings collection ?

Biomech -Good Morning , just another thought , many , many years ago my hobby was Stamp Collecting , people gave me stamps for my collection ........My question is. .....as collecting grass appears to be your hobby would you like others to help you increase your grass cuttings collection ?

...and compost it, bag it, then sell it at the car boots next year???

Until the start of this new system every other week they collected both my household rubbish and my recycled bin , all put in seperate compartments in the same vehicle .

My question is why didn't they continue this system in my area , OK , we live in the Country and maybe this system wouldn't work in the towns but it worked in my area , this would save them travelling around this route about 26 times a year .

Don't mind bins but now using body bags. They are larger just need to be discreet when putting them out at 3 in the morning...could I leave them up your lane Ubique??

Greenknight , as long as the bags are "armless " and the " body " in charge of refuse aren't looking into it - guess we will have to use our " head " for security we could take it turns to keep an " eye "on it. We don't want to make a "grave " mistake because we haven't a " leg " to stand on . We could meet " PM " . On second thoughts this is all rubbish .

You know, next spring I might just do that, offer a collection service, gather it all up and sell it back to the council as compost. Why the council themselves don't do this obvious money spinner is beyond me

Re: Your last post ... Did anyone visit and did you get any feedback? 

I called Herefordshire Housing again and was told that they were not responsible and that I should contact the Council again. I did this and they said they would look into it again. Following the black bag collection this Tuesday and my passing through the area later that afternoon, the area had been thoroughly cleaned up. Not sure who tidied this mess up, but well done. 

However 7 black bags have been put out today (Thursday) for collection on Tuesday next week (2nd December) so no change of tenants habits, even though they have been written to about putting their bags out too early. The major problem is still unresolved in that a big bin is necessary to contain the black bag waste.

Litter Abatement Orders, enabling private prosecutions to be brought against authorities that have a duty to keep the streets and public places tidy, are fully explained here by the CPRE.

Section 89 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 (EPA 1990) places a legal responsibility (a ‘duty’) on certain organisations to ensure that land, as far as is practicable, is kept clear of litter. Section 91 of the EPA 1990 goes on to state that a person who is fed up with a long-standing litter problem can use a Litter Abatement Order against those organisations listed under Section 89 (the ‘duty bodies’) if they are failing in their duty to keep that land clean. 

In Clean Highways with reference to kerbside collection of domestic waste:

* It is illegal to place bags of rubbish outside your property boundary
* It is also illegal for councils to permit residents to do so
* All waste containing food should be kept in a vermin proof receptacle until it it removed by the dustman

Under Section 33 of the Environmental Protection Act 1990 it is an offence to deposit any waste on land without an environmental or permit or allow it to be so deposited (S33 1 (a)). However (S33 2) says that this does not apply to household waste from a domestic property which is kept within the curtilage of the property.

This why the council want you to put the bags in a bin and any overflow on the pavement is flytipping, but it isn't working.

It needs a couple of flat bed Transits equipped with brooms and shovels cruising the streets picking up and clearing up dumped bags - with a strongly worded letter through the nearest door of each. Too many desk jockeys pushing the blame from desk to desk and not enough feet on the ground dealing with the 'early stages of this transition period', as it was described to me by a council officer recently.

10603753_10152897055793523_8822611674453

That was Ross Road today after the bin lorry had been ...

Picture taken from Problems With Hereford Council Facebook Group ... Plenty of other eye watering pics on the Hereford Chat Room Facebook Group which is a closed group ...

Looks like a potential rat problem ... 

Shared bin area so it's not like excess bags outside an individual house ... 

Oh Dear Lord.

That is not good. What a complete and utter mess.

It wasn't that long ago that some of us were saying what a huge improvement that paint job had made. It transformed the look of those flats, and  must have pleased the residents no end.

It must be very difficult to feel any pride in where you live, if it is left looking like this.

It must be very difficult to feel any pride in where you live, if it is left looking like this.

You only need one tenant with 'no pride' to fail to collect their excess bin bag and the moans from the other people will eventually lead to a collection ... Just ridiculous situation really ... 

Roger - my collection is Friday - only have two bags in my four bag wheelie bin sooooooo if you want to drive out to my home and place your forgotten bag into my half empty wheelie bin you can . Maybe , just maybe , the Refuse Wagon has re attended your home and collected the forgotten bag .

My serious worry is that due to the forecast of high winds tonight I have tucked my bin into a hedge to prevent it from being blown away - bearing in mind that there is no shelter because we are on a hill with unrestricted view of the Black Mts , some 27 miles away the Refuse Collectors might just drive past our home without seeing our bin ......time will tell !

I only anticipate putting one bag (at a stretch 2) in before the next collection so it's not ruining my life at the moment thankfully. The 'forgotten' bag has got dry type stuff in it (as opposed to stinking nappies or something) but if it was nappies or similar I'd be unhappy ...  :Hmm: