Some speed signs you could not see! Do BB not have a contract to clean signs then?

Before

IMG_9329.JPG

After

IMG_9330.JPG

Before

IMG_9331.JPG

After

IMG_9332.JPG

Cleaning these few signs took all of 20 minutes, If we could encourage everyone to clean the nearest signs to where they live it would be a massive improvement, especially people living in the countryside.

Nice one Colin. We did the signs around Little Birch & Much Birch last weekend. Quick and easy to do and makes a real difference.

Well done Ben, yes it did not take long at all and I had a spare hour this morning. A lot of the signs have green algae from tree's etc most of the ones in the open are not too bad. Thanks for your comments it's good to see you posting.  :Winky:

Watch out Colin. You may be held liable if someone now keeps to the speed limit having been able to read the sign.

Surely BBLP must be responsible for cleaning signs.

Perhaps one of our Cllrs can clarify?

This must be in their contract surely? To be fair, the 40mph signs that Colin has cleaned look like they have not been cleaned in years! So how often are they supposed to be cleaned? Can a Councillor please clarify this also please?

PS. Great effort Colin, this has made a big difference clearly.  :Happy_32:

Well done Colin.  Lovely day today better the day better the deed.  The filthy road signs give such a bad impression of the county to any visitor.  This issue should be routed through your local parish council and then they should contact the person responsible at Balfour's. The PC know the route and should be reporting the issues anyway as we do in Kingstone.  We have a Balfour man (can't think of his position) attend the majority of the PC meetings. So basically sort your PC out try attending the meetings.

Well done Colin.  Lovely day today better the day better the deed.  The filthy road signs give such a bad impression of the county to any visitor.  This issue should be routed through your local parish council and then they should contact the person responsible at Balfour's. The PC know the route and should be reporting the issues anyway as we do in Kingstone.  We have a Balfour man (can't think of his position) attend the majority of the PC meetings. So basically sort your PC out try attending the meetings.

I am often away on business as I work nationally but I will try and attend one of the next couple but to be honest most of the PC drive down the same roads as I do, so If I have noticed them surely they have...

Apologies Colin my comment was not  aimed at you in particular and I did not realise that you are an international jet setter!

People put themselves up to become a Parish Councillor because they care about where they live.  They do it for free. Meetings are held once every 6 weeks or more or less and the respective Ward Councillor should be in attendance. If a member of the public has an issue with their parish there is a 10 minute time slot at the beginning of each meeting when these issues can be aired.  It will also be minuted that this problem has been raised.  It will then be down to the PC's and Ward Councillor to address this issue and ultimately the Ward Councillor will be responsible for a satisfactory outcome. 

You know they stood to become Ward Councillors now lets get them working for the good of the county!

And well done again Colin for your work today it does make a difference.

Great to see such positive responses on here. Stark contrast to the amount of negative comments to Colin's posts on Facebook. Disappointing that so many people would rather complain, blame the council or criticise about health and safety than actually go out and use a small amount of their own time to make a difference. It's all about community spirit and improving the area we live in. Well done Colin and everyone else who wants to make a contribution to our communities.

Cleaned a few more on this beautiful foggy Autumn morning 

Before

Belmont Rd Bridge Before.jpg

After (This sign is stained and this was the best I could get it, needs replacing really and the light is not working either)

Belmont Rd Bridge After.jpg

Before

Belmont Rd Bridge 1 Before.jpg

After 

Belmont Rd Bridge 1 After.jpg

Before

BR Before.jpg

After

BR After.jpg

Before

40 Before.jpg

After

40 After.jpg

Before

Aber Before.jpg

After (I removed the weeds here)

Aber After.jpg

After

40 After 1.jpg

Before

Livestock Before.jpg

After (The main above sign looks like someone has taken a shot at it?)

Livestock After.jpg

Before

30mpg Before.jpg

After (last one for this weekend)

30mpg After.jpg

This was my cleaning kit (hot water)

Kit.jpg

I am often away on business as I work nationally but I will try and attend one of the next couple but to be honest most of the PC drive down the same roads as I do, so If I have noticed them surely they have...

This is good community spirit at it's very best, so well done for doing something about cleaning these filthy road signs. The local parish has plenty of funds available, so why have they not done anything about these signs posts before now? Some of these signs look like they have not been cleaned in years.

Colin James the international jet setting Radio Star - 

Hereford Voice - a city campaign group - has been out and about on the A465 cleaning up the road signs.

Member Colin James says it took him just 20 minutes to make the signs visible to drivers again.

We've asked council contractors Balfour Beatty is it's their responsibility?

Meanwhile Colin is encouraging people to clean the nearest signs to where they live as it would be a massive improvement, especially in the countryside.

Villagers in Little Birch & Much Birch have already acted on his advise and say it's quick and easy to do and makes a real difference.

5ade44bbb7c63_HerefordVoiceSigns1.thumb.jpg.64b675475c6a638ffac32bfe1addaf63.jpg  5ade44bb4e032_HerefordVoiceSigns.thumb.jpg.c137eafe87844f90fd5d1667c0eb80a9.jpg

On 02/11/2015 at 13:42, Denise Lloyd said:

Colin James the international jet setting Radio Star - 

Hereford Voice - a city campaign group - has been out and about on the A465 cleaning up the road signs.

Member Colin James says it took him just 20 minutes to make the signs visible to drivers again.

We've asked council contractors Balfour Beatty is it's their responsibility?

Meanwhile Colin is encouraging people to clean the nearest signs to where they live as it would be a massive improvement, especially in the countryside.

Villagers in Little Birch & Much Birch have already acted on his advise and say it's quick and easy to do and makes a real difference.

Ha ha yes they called me today. The information they have here is not 100% accurate as the villagers did there cleaning last weekend if you read Ben's response above, so that was nothing to do with me, however, I have asked locals to join in cleaning near to where they live.

Well here we go then

We had a huge response to yesterdays post about sign cleaning in Herefordshire by Hereford Voice campaigner Colin James.

We've finally had a statement from the Herefordshire Council contractors who're responsible for their maintenance ..........

it says .....Balfour Beatty carries out regular highway inspections across Herefordshire. As part of the programme of activities undertaken, as agreed with the council, Balfour Beatty reactively responds to any case whereby a road sign is obscured or poses a health and safety risk. Balfour Beatty Locality Stewards monitor the quality of the road signs in their local area when conducting their regular inspections. Attention is paid to cleanliness, reflectivity, correct positioning and visibility of road signs. Locality Stewards will clean and provide initial and routine maintenance if signs are loose, twisted or incorrectly positioned, paying particular attention to those signs placed at accident cluster zones.

The safety of the public and our workforce is our primary concern and we ask that any member of the public voluntarily cleaning road signs does so while taking the appropriate health and safety precautions.

On 03/11/2015 at 17:44, Denise Lloyd said:

Well here we go then

We had a huge response to yesterdays post about sign cleaning in Herefordshire by Hereford Voice campaigner Colin James.

We've finally had a statement from the Herefordshire Council contractors who're responsible for their maintenance ..........

it says .....Balfour Beatty carries out regular highway inspections across Herefordshire. As part of the programme of activities undertaken, as agreed with the council, Balfour Beatty reactively responds to any case whereby a road sign is obscured or poses a health and safety risk. Balfour Beatty Locality Stewards monitor the quality of the road signs in their local area when conducting their regular inspections. Attention is paid to cleanliness, reflectivity, correct positioning and visibility of road signs. Locality Stewards will clean and provide initial and routine maintenance if signs are loose, twisted or incorrectly positioned, paying particular attention to those signs placed at accident cluster zones.

The safety of the public and our workforce is our primary concern and we ask that any member of the public voluntarily cleaning road signs does so while taking the appropriate health and safety precautions.

What a load of Tosh..

What about  the dozens of signs that have been defaced by having letters etc removed in and around the County and have been like it for well over two years.

The Mordiford sign that now says Mordor and has done for so long that any tourist visiting would think they they were visiting Middle Earth.

Well here we go then

Obviously! How long have those signs that I cleaned been in that state! I was going to also point out how many signs are facing the wrong way, I will start listing them over the next few weeks.