Council Tax Increase To Protect Services

Colin James

Herefordshire Council has today confirmed that the council tax levy for Herefordshire residents is to rise by 3.9% in 2016/17. The increase will help protect council services, including safeguarding vulnerable children, and will include an additional 2% (£1.7m) to support the significantly rising costs of adult social care for Herefordshire’s ageing population, which will be reviewed annually.

The decision was made at full council and will mean a rise of approximately £4 a month for those living in a band D property. The final council tax figure will be confirmed in March, to include precepts from the police, fire authority and town or parish councils.

Funding from central government has been reduced by a third for 2016/17 (a loss of £9m from the council’s budget), a trend which is set to continue, however Herefordshire Council has risen to the challenge by saving £59m since 2010, whilst still delivering successful projects to boost the local economy including The Old Market retail development, the new livestock market, faster broadband and the Hereford Enterprise Zone.

Councillor Patricia Morgan, deputy leader of Herefordshire Council, said:

“Herefordshire Council is leading the way and making difficult decisions to protect the vulnerable in our community. As with other councils across England, the responsibility for funding local council services has now been firmly moved from central government to local residents and businesses.”

“In line with neighbouring councils, we need to introduce a council tax increase of 3.9% to support rising adult social care costs. This additional funding is supported by the government, which has acknowledged that current adult social care funding is insufficient to meet demand.”

“We need to ensure that we protect our most vulnerable residents and with ever diminishing resources and significantly increasing adult social care costs, it’s never been more important for us consider different ways to deliver services to achieve better value for money, continue to grow our local economy, secure new jobs and homes and ensure prosperity throughout the county.”

Source

I am more than happy to have this increase this year if it helps protect and keep these services active.

Good!

I for one am more than happy to pay a little more to help those who need it most, and protect the services which are vital to them.

Who is going to 'police' how this extra revenue is spent? Because I don't trust Pat and her cronies as far as I could spit.

I would have far more faith in an IOC administration when it comes to truly protecting the most vulnerable citizens in our society.

I attended a meeting last week to discuss adult social care with the new lead officer for adult wellbeing Martin Samuels. During his presentation he told us that in five years the council will no longer be commissioning services, and the increase of 3.9% will be increased by this amount every year for the next four years, to pay for services. The council is looking for everyone to pay their social care themselves.

I'd make a slight amendment to that last sentence, Glenda....

The TORIES are looking for everyone to pay for social care themselves. They also want to privatise the NHS, forcing folk to pay for medical treatment, and split this country into the haves and have nots.

I hope those that voted this government in are absolutely delighted at what they have collectively achieved. 

The council is looking for everyone to pay their social care themselves.

So what is the 3.9% increase for then if you have to pay for stuff yerself? An extra bin round? Just a joke ....

I hope those that voted this government in are absolutely delighted at what they have collectively achieved. 

From memory Hereford South voted 50% Tory at the last Election. Leominster voted 55% Tory. So a Marxist candidate getting in next time in either seat is nil ! 

Good!

I for one am more than happy to pay a little more to help those who need it most, and protect the services which are vital to them.

Who is going to 'police' how this extra revenue is spent? Because I don't trust Pat and her cronies as far as I could spit.

I would have far more faith in an IOC administration when it comes to truly protecting the most vulnerable citizens in our society.

Unfortunately, this lot were voted in. I would also prefer IOC.

Good!

I agree with you dippy I am more than happy to pay a little extra to help those who need it most locally.

I'd make a slight amendment to that last sentence, Glenda....

The TORIES are looking for everyone to pay for social care themselves. They also want to privatise the NHS, forcing folk to pay for medical treatment, and split this country into the haves and have nots.

This is also another reason why people should be against the TTIP bilateral trade agreement.

Not surprise at the council tax going up by 3.9% as central government cut more & more funding the local authorities get backed up into a corner have no choice but hopefully they will use the extra cash in the right areas?

• 2 weeks later...
Herefordshire Council Newsroom:

11 February 2016

Herefordshire Council has been allocated a one-off £4.4m central government grant for the next financial year (2016/17). The money will be added to general reserves, as agreed at the council meeting on 5 February 2016.

There are still £28m of savings that need to be delivered over the next four years, alongside the expectation that by 2019/20, council services will be almost completely funded from business rates and council tax.

Deputy leader of the council, Cllr Morgan said “The council has a responsibility to be prudent in times of financial uncertainty. By increasing our level of general reserves we can have renewed confidence in our financial position.â€

She must be joking. By 2020 if were are not out of the EU, Herefordshire Council will be an unmanned, single room outpost controlled from Brussels.

As I posted on another thread, this money is a blatant pay off, to mostly conservative led councils, as a way of heading off a revolt by 30 Tory MP's. This group were apparently set to cause quite a storm in their opposition to the local finance government settlement, which is due to be put to a vote.

I asked the question, was Jesse one of those 30? But looking back, I see that on June 16th, Jesse "Voted very strongly for reducing central government funding of local government."

So I'm guessing the answer is, no.

Labour have pointed out that the five most deprived councils will get nothing under this scheme, whilst the five least deprived will collectively receive 5.3 million.

Following news that David Cameron's own mother signing an anti cuts petition, Oxfordshire - home to Witney, the PM's constituency - will receive an extra nine million.....

I'm guessing that may help family relations a little.

Nor will this help family relations - game old bird

Daily Mirror Retweeted

• 1 month later...

IDS resigns: Live updates as Tory MP steps down as Work and Pensions Secretary over cuts http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/iain-duncan-smith-resigns-live-7587449 â€¦

Archive from 2013 ...

Iain Duncan Smith claimed £39 breakfast on expenses (that’d leave him £14 for the rest of the week)

Iain-Duncan-Smith-smiling.jpg

Iain Duncan Smith’s claim he could live on £53 a week fell apart last night after evidence emerged of a £39 breakfast he tried to put on expenses.

Black Triangle

"Cllr Matthews asks what the risk is that the single source contract will be challenged as it falls above the value where teh council is required to tender. The Monitoring Officer says the risk is assessed as low because the only organisations likely to challenge the decision are those who would wish to be considered by the council as future suppliers for the contract. Stunning! We don’t expect to be sued legitimately by disadvantaged companies because we would be likely to punish them by not considering them for future work."

If correct, "stunning" is putting it mildly.  An authority punishing a bidder (potential or actual) who challenges one of its decisions is blatantly illegal. For a start It contravenes the authority's EU mandated obligation of equal treatment to bidders.  Even if an authority were to proceed on that blatantly cynical basis, it's a very dangerous assumption they are making. Bidders are much more  willing to challenge in cases of manifest irregularity - recent  changes in the law have made it easier for them to do so. Also the current economic climate makes some of them think it worthwhile as they've got a better chance of getting the work following a re-run tender process even if they have upset the Council. The difference perhaps between a slim chance and no chance if it's given to the present incumbent and/or the Council's mates without proper process.

I'm amazed a Monitoring Officer would come out with something like that. Perhaps he/she should investigate themselves?