Petition: Reverse Decision To Reduce Grass Cutting

I expect you will have all heard about the well attended meeting about the grass cutting , or more accurately , lack of same! the rep from BB did not have much to say , except that they are currently prioritising vision splays around junctions and roundabouts. All the ward councillors--are now asked to give areas in their wards which should be prioritised and we are all supposedly being provided with the current grass cutting rota! There were a lot of words - personally I await to see what action , if any , results.

Hi Roger!

I honestly think Jim has done a good job organising this!

I know we've already paid for this, I know it goes against the grain......but the place is a mess!

I so wish some of the other big businesses would, just for the next year or two, take responsibility for areas close to them!

Sun Valley could do Yazor Road, Grandstand Road.

Bulmers, could Whitecross Road,

Wyevale, could take on Kings Acre,

B and Q, a few of the roundabouts!

As much as this is our community, it's also theirs, and not a great advert for them the way it's looking at the moment!

And yes, I know businesses also pay out.......but if the council won't...we have to do something! ( Next year of course we can do something else... with our votes at the ballot box!)

I KNOW it shouldn't be like this, but it is.

We have to do something, or we'll all disappear!!

I Suspect the firms mentioned feel if they get started they will be landed with the job for evermore!

BBC H&W Radio News today

So they have spent all our council tax.

It is true that funding from Central govt has been cut ( sorry about the pun!) but surely Jesse Norman , our Tory MP should be there banging the drum for better funding for this county , rather than going on about problems in Birdlip , more than 40 miles away!

Ip

I'm sorry I disagree that we should give in to what is essentially blackmail and start forming groups to cut the grass. As stated in an earlier post when the Council stop increasing the salaries of Senior managers and prove they truly do have the Counties interests at heart I will do my bit.

There is considerable evidence to support that restructures to cut the wage bill resulted in salary increases in many departments that saw reductions in front line staff!

Is anyone paying attention? To clarify -

3 front line staff earning a combined wage of £52,000 lose their jobs a saving of £52,000 'excellent we are heading in the right direction' yes? No!

3 managers then all receive a wage rise of £8.000 = £24.000 and then they create 1 new post with a salary of £35.000 total savings minus £7.000 !!

The result, the Council close a service because they've dismissed the front line staff! Claiming they can no longer afford it!

I'm not quoting an isolated incident it's happening every single time there is a restructure someone usually a Senior Manager gets a wage increase! Justified by the additional work he/ she will have to do! No they are lucky to remain employed!

Now we will be blamed for the deterioration of our communities because we didn't volunteer to cut the grass! It doesn't make you a hero if you cut the grass it makes you a mug and a coward for not standing up to the mismanagement of our services!

Councillors should be demanding answers to the statements above. How many directors, managers, staff received wage increases since 2012. How many new posts have been created since 2012 and who authorised all of it? Those figures should be published per department so the public can judge what is essentially a gross mismanagement of public funds.

If you find 1 salary increase in a department where someone lost their job then you should launch a full investigation! If one member of staff was made redundant and the entire saving wasn't re-directed to children's or adult social services then someone's head should roll!

Councillor Powell this is not a personal attack I truly believe you are between the rock and the hard plate! My warmest regards to you..

just a thought - we all know grass grows very regularly- will community groups want to be out there every week or so for most of the year keeping the grass down to a reasonable length?

Cllr Andrews thanks for the individual replies.

It will be, in my opinion, a huge task to maintain momentum in relation to grass cutting. Anyone attempting to organise these groups will need to ensure that any future elected Councillors buy into this plan. Cutting the grass now will set a future precedence for years to come. This is a massive undertaking and organising groups to maintain grass was not something I took into account when I voted for my local Councillor. During the next round of elections is this something I should look for in the manifesto? I want my Councillor to concentrate on representing me and my issues I don't want him out mowing the grass or organising groups! I do not believe local Councillors responsibilities should include grass cutting schedules!

I Suspect the firms mentioned feel if they get started they will be landed with the job for evermore!

Hi Polly!

I think this whole thing has got to be time limited!

Personally, I'm all for trying to keep the city looking at it's best for residents and visitors alike....but there needs to be a clear cut off point, as to when the powers that be and Balfour Beatty get their act together.

It has to be realistic!

I would also heartily endorse Biomechs suggestion on another thread, that all grass cut on a public space should be returned to the council.....drop it off at Brockington, or Plough Lane!

My neighbour cut the grass verge, gathered all the cuttings up and placed them in green bags. FCC refused to take the grass because it wasn't in Council green bags which cost 70p each! He rung the Council and they said sorry either purchase green bags or take the cuttings to the household waste site! There were ten bags! So not only will he not be spending £7.00 to have the grass removed he said he won't be cutting the grass again!

THERE WAS STEAM COMING OUT IF HIS EARS!

Heading south over the new bridge the hole at the lights has opened up again, hit it hard yesterday, and when I looked in my mirror the 4x4 behind me dropped about a foot of the left side as it went it. 

I just..just missed that bstrd turning left earlier this afternoon  :Angry:

As I said in an earlier post give the responsibility to the Parish Council to organise grass cutting.  They already organise a lengthsman,  By using local contractors at least the work will be done and if it isn't they don't get paid.  No sitting in trucks drinking tea for hours on end. .

Just to backup wot twowheels was saying about the resurfacing on the roads was driving up over stockley hill earlier & noticed the road has been relaid but I also noticed not very well as from second pic your see its a very thin layer from where the Tarmac has come away either that or they have missed a bit?

post-991-0-11238700-1402346028_thumb.jpg

post-991-0-18598100-1402346241_thumb.jpg

Cambo not many people will know where Stockley Hill is - I do! Anyway the resurfacing of unclassified roads is being funded by central government

It has a great view coming down that road!

Fair one Denise but @ the end of day it's still tax payers money & it's not a good job they've done as I don't believe the new surface is going to stand the test of time there just papering over the cranks in a expensive way?! All it appears that they've done is sprayed a thin layer of tar down & chucked a layer of chippings on top?

Well some very interesting comments since my last post with people purchasing mowers etc. or with others helping out. Over the last couple of weeks the litter pick on the King George and Bishops meadows has deteriorated it was once first class. I emailed the Leisure Pool manager asking if a staff member could walk around the building and pick up the rubbish including broken glass that has been outside the back changing room door for weeks, there is also a pile of cans from a party that have been left by morons near the door where staff have a *** break as per normal with requests from officers including Balfour Beatty no response.

I did use the dog area near the Welsh Club and when cans and bottles were left I would collect them, no problem if you have a little pride in your area, like others I have witnessed. But now I don't use that site for obvious reasons for those who know it.

I am told that this area will have its third cut of the season at the end of the month.

https://www.herefordshire.gov.uk/transport-and-highways/maintenance/roads-maintenance-structural-surveys

Herefordshire Council's Highway Maintenance Plan says:

"Unless weather conditions dictate otherwise, rural verges will be cut twice

per year. The first cut will generally be undertaken for completion before
the late May bank holiday. The second cut for completion before the
August bank holiday. Each cut is to be undertaken during a three week
period."

Their recent statement on savings in the maintenance budget says:

"Rural verge cutting will remain the same. We will continue to keep the
highway safe by cutting the visibility splays, carrying out weed spraying
and maintaining the trees."

So no more two cuts per annum, just visibility splays now.  This is like George Orwell. 

Well some very interesting comments since my last post with people purchasing mowers etc. or with others helping out. Over the last couple of weeks the litter pick on the King George and Bishops meadows has deteriorated it was once first class. I emailed the Leisure Pool manager asking if a staff member could walk around the building and pick up the rubbish including broken glass that has been outside the back changing room door for weeks, there is also a pile of cans from a party that have been left by morons near the door where staff have a *** break as per normal with requests from officers including Balfour Beatty no response.

I did use the dog area near the Welsh Club and when cans and bottles were left I would collect them, no problem if you have a little pride in your area, like others I have witnessed. But now I don't use that site for obvious reasons for those who know it.

I am told that this area will have its third cut of the season at the end of the month.

Hi Bob, Let's hope that now The Leisure Centre have been named and shamed, they will get outside and clear up this mess!

As I said in an earlier post give the responsibility to the Parish Council to organise grass cutting.  They already organise a lengthsman,  By using local contractors at least the work will be done and if it isn't they don't get paid.  No sitting in trucks drinking tea for hours on end. .

I think all grass cutting etc should be put out to tender and as you said if they don't deliver they don't get paid.

We had a meeting with our Housing Association this week, Muir Group, and in the course of discussions about service charges, the state of the uncut verges was raised. We have been arguing for years that the open space which is divided into two areas part cut by Muir and HC. All this land initially should have been adopted and cut by HC. But as we stand today all areas would have been left in a state of overgrown neglect and the street would have looked a right mess.

Muir have agreed to cut the HC pieces in the meantime to tidy up the street and today their gardener was fighting his way through the overgrown sections to restore it to a better condition than if the council had done it.

Issues about grass cutting and Muir charging residents nearly £4000 a year service chagre to do this are a constant source of complaint, but I have to take my hat off to Muir for stepping in to tidy up the area so quickly. Also a thank you to Cllr Glenda Powell for sitting in at our meeting with Muir and offering useful advice on how to reduce the service charge in the future.

It is not getting any better, I drove past a school warning sign today and you could hardly see it because of the grass, so will it take for an accident to happen before Herefordshire Council act?

Have a look at these examples, we have gone from a bad:

Syd1.jpg

to worse!

Syd2.JPG

Muir have agreed to cut the HC pieces in the meantime to tidy up the street and today their gardener was fighting his way through the overgrown sections to restore it to a better condition than if the council had done it.

I do hope they forward on an invoice for the work to HC.

In other news, my hay fever is playing havoc for the first time in about 15 years - perhaps this is now becoming a public health issue?