Petition: Reverse Decision To Reduce Grass Cutting

A couple of residents have obviously got cheesed off on College Road as they have mowed the Council grass in front of their properties' !! ... The wide bit where ball games are banned! Rest looks rubbish tho! 

On a side note I went to the Council tip today and the approach verges to it had just been cut by 'Countrywide' .... They had also done a portion of the main Hereford to Holme Lacy Road ... They were just packing up as I left ... 

A couple of residents have obviously got cheesed off on College Road as they have mowed the Council grass in front of their properties' !! ... The wide bit where ball games are banned! 

In the nicest possible way, I hope they get in trouble for it. Because that's what the council do, fine people and accuse them of criminal damage.

I want this to happen for 2 reasons.

1. To further highlight the ineptitude of the council

2. So that the council don't get the idea into their head that the tax payer is going to pay the council for the privalage of doing the councils job for them

What a lot of people do not probably realise is that it will be  more untidy when they cut it.  I doubt whether the cut grass will be taken away and because of the recent heavy rain and people walking on lush long grass a lot of it will not be cut.  Unless they return pretty quickly after this first cut and cut it again it will look horrendous.  They have in a nutshell buggerred it up for the year.  The one way funnily enough is for sheep to graze it right down and then it might stand a chance of recovery next year but I am sorry to say unless some fairly drastic knowledgeable action is taken on all this uncut grass it will be spoilt forever.  What an excellent money saving little exercise that was.   Less than a year now and counting.

Well a quick update Free Radio have been in touch tonight and I have just been interviewed over the phone from my hotel room lol. I hope I did okay but this will be aired on the morning show tomorrow between 6-10am. I am away on business but would appreciate it if someone could record it for me.

At least this will draw more attention ready for the meeting tomorrow

Council Newsroom 27 May 2014

The leader of Herefordshire Council has today (Tuesday 27 May) announced a new Cabinet appointment.

From 1 June 2014, Councillor Paul Rone will join Herefordshire Council’s Cabinet as cabinet member for transport and roads with responsibility for transport operations; Streetscene design, policy and delivery; traffic management; car parking policy and services and highways maintenance.

Councillor Tony Johnson, leader of Herefordshire Council, said: “I am delighted to announce the appointment of Councillor Paul Rone as cabinet member for transport and roads.  Paul is local to Hereford and runs his own taxi business in the city, so knows the roads as well as anybody and will strengthen representation in Hereford.  His new role will also include close liaison with Balfour Beatty Living Places and the delivery of its annual maintenance plan.â€

Excellent Colin well done! 

I've just been held to task over on the Hereford Times for a rant at IOC. 

Part of Cllr Harvey's response is below

'IOC is not in the business of shying away from the difficult truth when it stares us in the face. Communities ARE going to have to step in - or watch the bins overflow, the grass grow, the assets decay and the services vanish'

So Bobby is going to prison for non payment of Council Tax and the rest of us need to roll up our selves! 

What a lot of people do not probably realise is that it will be  more untidy when they cut it.  I doubt whether the cut grass will be taken away and because of the recent heavy rain and people walking on lush long grass a lot of it will not be cut.  Unless they return pretty quickly after this first cut and cut it again it will look horrendous.  They have in a nutshell buggerred it up for the year.  The one way funnily enough is for sheep to graze it right down and then it might stand a chance of recovery next year but I am sorry to say unless some fairly drastic knowledgeable action is taken on all this uncut grass it will be spoilt forever.  What an excellent money saving little exercise that was.   Less than a year now and counting.

I agree with your post 100% ...

If this length of grass was growing in a field it would be cut (using suitable heavy duty equipment) and a tedding machine would be out ... Then dried out and fed to the livestock ... So the current situation is is beyond a few petrol strimmers ... Balfour have got access to tractor machinery but I've seen it used and the result they produce is so poor that my opinion of their handiwork is not really printable ... 

IMG_1809.jpg

Excellent Colin well done! 

I've just been held to task over on the Hereford Times for a rant at IOC. 

Part of Cllr Harvey's response is below

'IOC is not in the business of shying away from the difficult truth when it stares us in the face. Communities ARE going to have to step in - or watch the bins overflow, the grass grow, the assets decay and the services vanish'

So Bobby is going to prison for non payment of Council Tax and the rest of us need to roll up our selves! 

You got a clickable link for that?

I think the Council Tax has gone up 2% but whatever money is in the pot is being either thrown at Plough Lane or Adult Social Care. These vulnerable people who end up being housed in guest houses ... I think the Bouvrie on the ring road is one ... Who is paying for that? Yup the Council ... The amount of money thrown at these businesses is eye watering ... Probably cheaper to stay at The Hilton ... 

What a lot of people do not probably realise is that it will be  more untidy when they cut it. 

Not to mention that, given the length of the grass now, when it is cut back, there is the likelihood that the grass left will be yellowed and dead - as is the case in my garden. When the grass is long, the sun can't reach to the bottoms, so they yellow. They you cut the tops off and are left with a dead looking patch of grass

Grass cutting meeting is tomorrow ... A Meeting about the grass that is still growing ... I don't think the locals expect Wimbledon type results but I expect nothing less than a full update on here about the result of that meeting ... End Of Rant! 

I cannot see why the Council do not go back to using their own in house staff for maintaining the grass, verges and hedges like they used to do before someone had the great idea to use contractors.

I agree whole heartily with that Colin how can a private company who are out to make a profit be cheaper than the council doing it themselves???

can someone tell me how many signatures are on the petition I have a meeting this afternoon about the grass cutting. and would like to tell them how many signatures there are up to today.

1822 as of 09.45 hrs today ...

I agree whole heartily with that Colin how can a private company who are out to make a profit be cheaper than the council doing it themselves???

I have often wondered too - I presumed that somewhere along the line the Councils found it cheaper in the long run - pensions etc. but heyho , it still appears logically that it should be cheaper in house, not just grass cutting but all the Services that the Councils put out for tender .

Cllr Powell any news from the grass cutting meeting today? Did you manage to ascertain which grass is being cut 3 times a year? Also are there plans to form community groups in your parish?

I was wondering this! Actually got confused today around St. Guthlac St. in my car as the street sign was hidden by grass! I haven't been down that area for a while and it's quite astonishing how the neglect has took hold! 

Cllr Bob Preece and I attended the grass cutting meeting although all councillors were invited only a small percentage actually came, following budget cuts. There was a round table discussion with senior council officers and a senior manager from Belfour Beatty. They told us that there was £750,000 for grass cutting in their budget which included grass verges across Herefordshire. We were ask to prioritised our areas of grass that needs more attention, we told them that all areas that had been kept tidy in the past and were now a disgrace and needed sorting out NOW! at one point I said that the lack of grass cutting was one step to far! When we asked why only three cuts per year it was stated that this was not necessarily the case, open spaces would have more cuts, we asked for a program of works. BB stated they now needed more mowers that could tackle long grass unlike what they have now , we were told that grass verges would only be cut once a year unless there was a safety issue. The council is eager to encourage community groups to get involved in their communities but we asked the question of health and safety and liability insurance, also that in some areas a lot of elderly people live there and could not be expected to attempt to do the work that our council should be doing.We also mentioned the fact was why are we paying our council tax for to both Herefordshire / city council and now being asked to do it ourselves.

Was this meeting worth while? you tell us!!! Cllr Glenda vaughan-Powell and Cllr Bob Preece.

Balfour Beatty stated they now needed more mowers that could tackle long grass unlike what they have now

Ridiculous. I suggest that the cost for additional machinery that is needed due to their own actions is completely down to them. Otherwise they forfeit the deal as they falsely bid for and won a contract for which they cannot complete.

We also mentioned the fact was why are we paying our council tax for to both Herefordshire / city council and now being asked to do it ourselves.

Excellent, can you please push this hard at every meeting, because is a core issue that affects everything from grass cutting to public toilets. We're paying more and more and yet expected to do the work ourselves or pay again ontop

Thanks for the update Glenda, I have to say the bit about requiring "long grass mowers" jumped out at me as well!!

I see in this weeks HT, that council leader Tony Johnson says he is prepared to talk to "anyone" who could make a contribution to the grass cutting. He also goes on to inform us that none of this is BB's fault...."They are doing what we asked of them".

This following an accident where the warning sign was apparently obscured by overgrown vegetation.

Good to see that Colins petition features in this weeks "Opinion" piece. Which is Fffiona's last one. She leaves this week.

Thank you CVP and Cllr. Bob Preece for the update on your meeting, this is appreciated. Did you mention we have over 1800 signatures on the petition so far?

Well this is all smoke and mirrors in my opinion, yet Herefordshire Council are spending a fortune on their offices in Plough Lane, so much for cuts eh...

I had this informations sent to me today obtained under the freedom of information act, have a look yourselves and see where you think our money is being spent, I have attached the file underneath the quote:

Dear Sir,

FREEDOM OF INFORMATION ACT REQUEST FOI IAT 7423

Further to previous correspondence, your request for information has now been considered, and the council’s response is set out below:

Q1 Can you please tell me how much has been spent so far since the start and  how much is budgeted for the renovation of the plough lane council offices in Hereford

A.    There is a capital budget for refurbishment work of £4m.

There is a revenue budget for works falling outside the refurbishment. This budget covers not only the Plough Lane offices but others also. There is a budget for ‘decant’ across all moves not only in connection with Plough Lane but with moves from and to other buildings. This budget is £500,000. £151,000 has been taken from this budget to date.

To date we have paid £2,273,124.81. The project is expected to come in on budget.

If you are dissatisfied with the handling of your request or you would like a review of the response provided, please contact me on the contact details given at the top of this letter.

Further information is also available from the Information Commissioner at:

Information Commissioner’s Office

Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF

Telephone: 01625 545 745           www.ico.org.uk

Yours faithfully

claire jacobs

INFORMATION ACCESS OFFICER

FOI IAT 7423 LA Prov 29.05. 14.doc