Petition: Reverse Decision To Reduce Grass Cutting

Well of course it isn't but they do not have the common sense to work it out.  They have their bit of lawn around their houses which they manicure to the last blade but have no idea what the consequences are if grass and weeds are left to become overgrown and unmanageable.  That is the importance of farming sheep and cattle manage the grass on a farm.  Beautiful countryside doesn't just happen it has to be managed! 

As for Jesse Norman, looks like he's now starting his campaign for the general elections next year - we haven't heard a peep out of him for quite some time, elections due, he pipes up.

hah, looks like I was right, got some junk mail about his campaign through the post the other day

Okay, so...  Yazor Road open Space was last cut on June 13th...  Where it was given its usual over-severe short back and sides, leaving patches of scalped mud instead of grass...

Guess what?

It has been cut within an inch of it's life again today!?!

Why?  Seriously, why? 

I don't get it, it's twisting my melon man!

I was out and about in the car yesterday and noticed that they've cut the grass on Tesco Island and on Victoria Street by West Street car park. Strangely they've cut 80% of the patch of grass by the entrance to the subway (at the West Street junction) but left 20% 3 foot high at the foot of the old City wall. It could only have taken another 5 minutes to do the whole lot. 

The scruffy grass under the saved Lime trees next to the roundabout has not been touched. 

Tried to edit my comment didn't want to know.   Not only do they not have the common sense but do not really have the working knowledge to make decisions on  grass maintenance.  So many text book decisions are made nowadays without thought for the consequences.  The consequences of the decision on grass cutting is a county that looks truly awful and will contnue to look so for quite some time.

There is a piece of grass near to the houses at Roman Way Stretton Sugwas which is managed by Hereford Housing.  It is exemplary.  HC and BB take note and see how a job should be done.  You all would have earned so many brownie points. 

• 2 weeks later...

From this article in the HT

A GRANT is on offer to help community groups maintain and improve “green spaces” in their area following a reduction to grass-cutting in the county.

It is a step in the right direction according to Hereford’s Sean Edwards.

Parkland near his Kings Acre home has been largely overgrown for many weeks and, although cut on Tuesday this week, he wants to see the mowers out more regularly.

Mr Edwards, who also manages Westfields FC, said: “My son goes out to play with friends but they haven’t been out here for four or five weeks.

“The council can waste a six figure sum paying outside auditors to tell them they are £200 million in debt but can’t find the money to keep our grass verges and parks cut.

“How are the working people of Hereford to blame if the council can’t manage their budget? Someone needs to be accountable within the council, not the tax-paying public.”

Community groups that are interested in applying for the small grant – which will help with the costs of developing and implementing projects to improve the local environment – can visit Herefordshire Council’s website.

Councillor Rone added: “While we still need to stay within budget and – provide essential services for the more vulnerable, I think that the effects of a reduction in grass cutting, particularly given the weather conditions, needs to be addressed.

“This will focus on play areas and parks in Hereford and the market towns over the next few weeks to get them ready for the school summer holidays.”“I have therefore asked Balfour Beatty to bring forward their grass cutting programme. I have also identified a number of high priority areas in consultation with local councillors for additional cuts.

Herefordshire Council said that, across the rural road network, Balfour Beatty has continued to keep the highway safe by cutting the visibility splays, carrying out weed spraying and maintaining the trees.

However, there will now be an additional cut across the whole network starting at the end of July to tidy things up before the autumn.

Details of the revised grass cutting schedules are available on the council website.

Heard some noise behind my house this morning and remarkably the grass is being cut at the top of Churchill Gardens for the first time this year.

photo_7.jpg

I had a word with one of the fella's and he said Broadleaf were a firm from Surrey who had been sub-contracted for the job as they were widely considered to be a '4th Emergency Service' who stepped in when a job had got too big. He said grass cutting was not really their main area of expertise as that was tree surgery. 

Broadleaf Tree Services

Errr,

So, have I got this right.......we are paying Balfour Beatty to cut the grass, we are able to access community grants from the council to cut the grass ourselves, and now we are also paying a Surrey based firm to cut it as well???

Remind me again how much money this is saving us.........???

Errr,

So, have I got this right.......we are paying Balfour Beatty to cut the grass, we are able to access community grants from the council to cut the grass ourselves, and now we are also paying a Surrey based firm to cut it as well???

Remind me again how much money this is saving us.........???

In a similar vein, Balfour Beatty are consulted by Planning about Highway and associated matters - with clearly no skill base of their own, BB subcontract the questions to Parsons Brinckerhoff, a 'global consulting firm' and one of the most expensive infrastruture consultants in the UK, to which BB add 20% mark up - again, how much money is this saving or, rather, costing us? Conservatively, I would guess the operation as a whole must come in at about 50% more than if it was done in-house. Well done councillors, you've really shafted us with this one.

Community groups that are interested in applying for the small grant – which will help with the costs of developing and implementing projects to improve the local environment 

So.... we're paying a company to cut the grass and because they aren't fulfilling their contractual obligations, the council is going to pay the public to cut it. So the council are paying twice.

And if they can find the money to pay the public to cut the grass, why are they citing monetary budgets as the reasoning for reduced maintenance?

As for the Surrey based firm, I'm assuming that they were subcontracted by Ballflower Betty because either:

A: Ballflower Betty can't live up to their agreement

B: Ballflower Betty win the contract then sub contract the work to another firm at a lower rate, thus generating profit without doing the work

Oh yes so they finally came to cut the grass, well some of it at least! What a mess! Grass is virtually dead, well you judge for yourselves...

This is AFTER the verge was cut

Grass1.jpg

Grass2.jpg

The new footpath

Path1.jpg

I guess they ran out of petrol or something because they only cut the edges! The kids I spoke too were so disappointed because they have nowhere to play football

Sydwall1.jpg

What a mess.

How's the petition going Colin? The summer holidays are on the horizon, and the city looks dreadful for both residents and tourists alike.

At what point, is someone going to throw their hands in the air, and declare,

" We got it wrong. This won't save money, in fact it's costing money."

I shan't hold my breath.........!!

Here's a random idea why don't Herefordshire (we know what's best for you) Council check previous track records before they hire staff (particularly solicitors) and award contracts! Chances are if these people or these companies cocked up somewhere else they are likely going to cock up here!

http://www.wiltshire.gov.uk/latestnews.htm?aid=152909

I think it's fair to say that whoever the legal eagle was, who cast their eye over the BB contract, really isn't fit for purpose!

Surely there are grounds for this to be renegotiated? It's a ten year contract! If this year is anything to go by, the next nine don't look too promising, do they??

Hey Flam!

I've just spotted on the new members list that "BBC Hereford and Worcester" have signed up!

The HT may not want to know what's going on......but the BBC do!

Could we finally be getting somewhere after all this time??

Will those chickens be coming home to roost??

I hope so.

To the member who inquired about cut grass being a fire risk BB say it will not be a risk unless we have an extended period of hot weather. I am only the messenger folks.

It will if someone puts a match to it!!!