Petition: Reverse Decision To Reduce Grass Cutting

photo_2.png

This is correct. I've been down there this morning and Penn Grove Road and Admirals Close both cut. What it will look like when the hay dries out is anyone's guess but today it looks better than it was.

The Council Excel spreadsheet indicates Redhill is being cut this week (ie last week in June) so this work is out of sequence with their published data.

It will obviously have nothing to do with the fact that pics of the said area whistled around the web and Twitter 2 days ago ...  :Happy_32:

The cabinet are voting Thursday about transferring extra money into the grass cutting budget lets hope they make the right decision,then it's not about throwing money about but spending it wisely for maxim effect and I have some ideas on that again let's make them listen they read this blog so please keep the pressure up guys.

Cllr Kenyon can you report back who votes against? These Councillors need to be named and shamed!

I was driving to Abergavenny on Monday night and travelling down the Belmont road, there is a pedestrian crossing adjacent to Tesco. I could not see the light on the left hand side when travelling towards Abergavenny because it was obscured by the overgrown hedgerow. This is extremely dangerous! I heard there have been a couple of accidents at this crossing so it needs sorting ASAP! It's fine if you know the area because you know the crossing is there so you look to the right for the lights. If the lights on both sides don't need to be visible what's the point of them! I spent 20 minutes trying to contact the bloody Council today to try and report it but couldn't get a response from Customer Services so I had to give up! I will try again tomorrow but if Councillors are reading this forum get it sorted please before you have a death on your hands!

To the member who inquired about cut grass being a fire risk BB say it will not be a risk unless we have an extended period of hot weather. I am only the messenger folks.

King George & Bishops Meadow so far starting at 05.00 Monday morning the tractor mower has been mowing this area to date and it's not finished yet the tractor has spent twenty two hours mowing and stopping to pick up bottles in the grass, I would think that it will take a couple more hours to finish. What is left is a mess with tufts of grss in some areas. Next cut end of September.

My mind is still boggling from Bobs post that it has taken 22 hours to mow the Bishops Meadow, and it STILL isn't finished!!!!

Are they still claiming they are saving us money??

If they are, I would suggest somebody's nose is growing.......!!

They have finished but as I said its a mess, when the grass here was kept tidy and short it took between 2 and 3 hours to cut this week it has taken 24 hours. Now I only went to Hunderton and Red Hill Schools but I can't understand how this is saving money. There are some large piles of grass, hope it does not get to hot. I will ask BB to comment but it's debatable if they will respond, copy's will also go to others.

You mean like..........................................................................summer?

Cllr Preece can you request the Health and Safety Risk Assessment for the grass cutting/ verge and hedge maintenance. I'm guessing they won't have one but it should make interesting reading if they do?

I saw a guy on Ross Road cutting the banks today - he had to use a petrol strimmer because there was no chance a mower would touch it. There were 4 patches, it took him all day as it was effectively being done by hand.

That was before sitting at those ******* traffic lights for another 10 minutes... 8-10minutes, that's the change time on them, that's how long you sit there with the lights on red. And when they turned to green, a flood of oncoming traffic came through - first I thought it was just the standard Hereford idiocy of running red lights that is all too common these days, but it went on so long I'd have to say that their lights AND our lights were on green at the same time, So be warned, avoid ross road after 8pm. Instead go Belmont Road / Walnutt tree cut through

I see that some grass has been cut around The Oval, not sure who by!  But even when cut it still looks so untidy, all the long grass cuttings left to rot.  I also see that the residents claimed back the green outside their porperties and cut it themselves! #communityspirit

I wonder if i can get the Council to pay for my hayfever products since the length of the grass must be adding to my misery!

It was a pity this act was not in force when they signed the contract with Balfour Beatty.

The Public Services (Social Value) Act 2012 became law on the 8th March 2012. From 31st January 2013 the Act is 'live' and commissioners and procurers must adhere to it.

The Act was initiated by Chris White MP as a Private Members Bill, the progress of the Bill becoming law is documented here.

What is the Act?

The Act, for the first time, places a duty on public bodies to consider social value ahead of a procurement. 

The Act applies to the provision of services, or the provision of services together with the purchase or hire of goods or the carrying out of works.

The wording of the Act states that... 

The authority must consider—

(a) how what is proposed to be procured might improve the economic, social and environmental well-being of the relevant area, and

(b) how, in conducting the process of procurement, it might act with a view to securing that improvement.

It also opens the door for consultation with stakeholders to better understand social value and improve service specifications, the Act states...

The authority must consider whether to undertake any consultation

What does social value mean under the Act?

The wording of the act states..

the authority must consider.. only matters that are relevant to what is proposed to be procured and, in doing so, must consider the extent to which it is proportionate in all the circumstances to take those matters into account.

Just a thought.Are we going to have this grass cutting fiasco again next year?

3 times a year Rag, each time the grass is actually cut, the public will see this as a "win", instead of for what it is. Then it will grow, people will complain and then the public will "win" again when the next scheduled cut happens. The actual overturning of the poor service won't happen. It's like the public will just keep taking a pill everytime things start to get leary and they will be happy again until the pill wears off (grass grows back)

It was a pity this act was not in force when they signed the contract with Balfour Beatty.

The Public Services (Social Value) Act 2012 became law on the 8th March 2012. From 31st January 2013 the Act is 'live' and commissioners and procurers must adhere to it.

The Act was initiated by Chris White MP as a Private Members Bill, the progress of the Bill becoming law is documented here.

What is the Act?
The Act, for the first time, places a duty on public bodies to consider social value ahead of a procurement. 

Would this apply to the Fire Brigade - a public body - and the procurement of a new building? I would say yes ...

It was.  The contract started 1st September last year.

it's great that they have been grass cutting up on Newton Farm.

I see today that they have cut the patch of grass in front of the houses at Eardisley Close. A single mattress had been dumped amongst the long grass, where is that mattress now I hear you ask? Well it's still there, they only bloody picked it up and moved it, cut the grass and put it back. Shocking. So that got me thinking who's job is it to pick it. Obviously not theirs?? So do they go back and report it to another department and waste yet more money sending someone else to do what they could have done?? I bet it just stays there. And no doubt more rubbish will be attracted soon enough. If only someone had pointed out what would happen if you let the grass grow that long........oh wait.....

Anyone catch the news report about Bristol's grass cutting misery??

BBC lunchtime news today. It featured a woman who had fallen into a freshly dug, open grave. The grass all around was so high, she quite literally walked straight into it. Awful experience, I'm sure.