Petition 'Turn Off Lights At Asda Junction Hereford'

I have created an online petition to turn off the traffic lights at the Asda junction in Hereford (Where the A465 meets the A49) as the traffic flows much better when they are off!!
if you agree, please sign the petition below.

Click Here To Sign The NEW Petition 

(Please ALL sign the new petition as the original council petition has since been removed from their website)

This will only take you a minute, Do It today!!
ht1bsmall.jpg

I see you have got your petition up and running Colin, just added my name to it.

The Council has a lot of consultation on at the moment and members may be interested in responding to issues they are interested in.

The council's consultation page listing those currently active is here.

To quote the council this section provides you with information about past, present and future involvement activities and consultations by both Herefordshire Council and partner organisations. This includes both electronic consultations and more traditional involvement activities.

Giving you access to past, present and future consultations responds to one of the commitments in the Community Involvement Strategy, which is to be open and accountable to everyone living and working in Herefordshire about the information we have gathered through consultations, and how we have used this information to provide the best possible services in the County.

If you want to participate in electronic consultations, you will be required to register, using the links provided. All we require is a valid email address and your name, although further information will help us target future consultations more effectively and invite you, depending on the information you have given us about your particular interests, to participate in future consultations.

You are also able to access the results of closed consultations and find out what Herefordshire Council has done with the information gathered through consultations. By using the 'search' categories, you can search according to specific areas, target groups and dates of consultations.

All information you give us about yourself when registering will be treated in strictest confidence in line with our privacy policy.

You need to register on the Herefordshire Council's website then you need to browse petitions in this link http://councillors.h...istDisplay.aspx, select the petition and click sign. Any problems let me know and I will help you through it but it shouuld be pretty strsight forward, please share this link, the more people that we can get to sign the petition the better.

Can't see anything happening until the Highways Agency have spent £0.3M re-jigging the roundabout next year... 'A49/A465 Belmont Road junction, Hereford (map ref. 43)

Reduce congestion by realigning the junction and adding signals to account for local traffic movements to and from the supermarket and the A465.

Supports the Edgar Street Grid regeneration scheme and the Rotherwise Enterprise Zone. Supports the creation of 7,575 jobs and 3,300 homes by 2020.

Cost £0.3m. Starts 2013. Ends 2013.

http://www.highways.gov.uk/news/press-releases/170m-road-boost-for-local-economies/

Whether they will sort out the St. Martins Street lights I don't know. ie when you get stranded in the Leisure Pool at May Fair time ...

On 11/10/2012 at 00:19, Roger said:

Can't see anything happening until the Highways Agency have spent £0.3M re-jigging the roundabout next year... 'A49/A465 Belmont Road junction, Hereford (map ref. 43)

Reduce congestion by realigning the junction and adding signals to account for local traffic movements to and from the supermarket and the A465.

Supports the Edgar Street Grid regeneration scheme and the Rotherwise Enterprise Zone. Supports the creation of 7,575 jobs and 3,300 homes by 2020.

Cost £0.3m. Starts 2013. Ends 2013.

http://www.highways.gov.uk/news/press-releases/170m-road-boost-for-local-economies/

Whether they will sort out the St. Martins Street lights I don't know. ie when you get stranded in the Leisure Pool at May Fair time ...

This is interesting. I have signed the petition regardless Roger becasue traffic is definately easier when they are out of order.

• 3 weeks later...

I have seen the signs put up on the railings asking people to sign the petition. Pity we couldn't get a message on the billboard just past the crossing, before Belmont Avenue, but no doubt cost a fortune.

That would be ideal!! lol There are some bigger signs up now as the others are only A4 - If any of you have Facebook or Twiiter account please share the link and spread the word, unless we get the signatures nobody is going to act!! There is also a feature going into the Hereford Times, following a letter that I wrote to the editor and BBC Hereford & Worcester have also shown an interest.

Hello Colin. More support here in The Daily Telegraph today:

National Trust chairman calls for removal of traffic lights

Nearly all traffic lights should be removed from Britains roads because they cause more accidents, the chairman of the National Trust has said. Sir Simon Jenkins called for 90% of the signals to be torn down, describing them as a form of state control and claiming that they are dangerous and slow down motorists.

Read article here:

I am a little disappointed with the article in this weeks Hereford Times on page 16, where is the link to the petition? I have also been misquoted which is equally as frustrating.

ht1b.jpg

I have written to the reporter this morning;

Hi Paul,

I am very disappointed that you have failed to enter the link to the petition on the Traffic Lights Feature, that was the whole point of writing to Fiona!

Could you kindly give me a call when you are free on 07**********. I did call earlier but they said that you were out for an hour. I have also been misquoted, as I never said anything about leaving them on at night time.

I am also surprised that you never linked it with this story;

http://www.herefordt...o_help_traffic/

speak soon

regards

Colin James

I see that someone has created another petition as follows;

Re-order sequencing of Hereford City Centre Roundabout Traffic Lights

We the undersigned petition the council to Give the sequencing order of the entire traffic light system at the main Hereford City Centre RIng Road Roundabout (By Steels and Tescos Bus Station where the three major routes A465/A49/A438 all submerge together, particular example if travelling NB from Eign Street Junction going around the roundabout and doubling back to head towards Eign Gate/Tesco Underground Car Park, you have the first two set of lights (Victoria Street/Edgar Street) on red to green then whilst they're on green the set (Newmarket Street Junction) remain on red often causing a long unnessecary queue similar to the sequencing problem with the asda lights approaching onto Belmont Road (lights for people commuting Ross ROad seem to stay on green a lot longer than the people coming from Belmont Road so a wonder that most the time the Callow/Ross Road Rat Run route seems to beat queuing on Belmont Road during the peak times to get into the City Centre from Belmont/Golden Valley Area quicker

Basically re-think and change about the sequence so to stop long excessive queues in certain directions (such as as you commence doing a double back from the south wye direction to enter tesco car park and eign gate area)

This as well as rethinking the asda lights will help with improving traffic flows in the city from all directions and safer in reducing tailbacks amongst live traffic and risks of rearend shunts etc are much reduced as well

This ePetition runs from 28/11/2012 to 09/01/2013.

Noticed today that there is a vehicle counter across the road by the Belmont Road bridge. Also where the Oval service road joins Goodrich Grove there is a new CCTV camera positioned next to the lampost looking over the Belmont Road junction and pointing across to McDonalds. Wasn't there last week was it?