Bus prices

Adrian symonds

Bus prices in Hereford is rising once again, when Yeomans took over the bus service they rose prices, now they want us to pay more and then they wonder why people do not use the bus.

at the moment from the College Green to town it is £2, I have been told that is rising to £2.20.

most of the time i will walk to town, but if i got a bit of shopping I will use the bus back, I do walk to work and back home, again now and again I will take the bus home.

I can understand why people use their cars and do not use the bus, I see buses going around with one person on it, and even iof there are a few people on there most are not paying as they get free bus passes.

Bus prices in Hereford is rising once again, when Yeomans took over the bus service they rose prices, now they want us to pay more and then they wonder why people do not use the bus.

at the moment from the College Green to town it is £2, I have been told that is rising to £2.20.

most of the time i will walk to town, but if i got a bit of shopping I will use the bus back, I do walk to work and back home, again now and again I will take the bus home.

I can understand why people use their cars and do not use the bus, I see buses going around with one person on it, and even iof there are a few people on there most are not paying as they get free bus passes.

A properly fitted hybrid bike with panniers and a front basket could be a good investment. Got rid of my car 15 years ago and hire one when I need it - about 4 times a year - saved thousands of pounds over that period. You'll be surprised what you can carry.

post-2-0-58538900-1477836865.jpg

While there are people who can cycle, there are many who have to rely on public transport.

I do have a bike, I have not used it since before I was ill, I am going to get it back on the road for the summer, but to be honest with some of the idiots on the road I am not sure if I want, people who do not indicate, park where they want to, get too close to cyclists.

Saying that I see many cyclists who are no better, going down one way streets the wrong way, riding on pavements, going through red lights, and also thinking that stopping at a zebra crossing when people going across do not apply to them,

We need a reliable and cheap public transport system and not the stupid tram idea that some people are looking at

My son catches the bus to school, from Yazor Road to the colleges to go to Aylestone School.

Until the week before half-term he could purchase a ticket that lasted a week for £10.

This morning when catching the bus he was informed that it had risen to £12...

That is a nice big increase to dump on unsuspecting passengers, there had been no notices on the busses that we have seen.

And goes to explain why there are usually only 2 or 3 other people on the bus each morning when he catches it.

Return on the No 77 from Bobblestock to Holmer School and back used to be £3.00.  Today it was £4.00.  Apparently 12 months have passed since the takeover from First, so old contracts do not apply. A child's single was £1.00,  today - £1.75. So, last week to get me to school to collect granddaughter and bring her back was £4.00.  Today - £5.75.  Bl**dy disgraceful. Another 25p and it would be a 50% increase. Sod 'em. 

While there are people who can cycle, there are many who have to rely on public transport.

I do have a bike, I have not used it since before I was ill, I am going to get it back on the road for the summer, but to be honest with some of the idiots on the road I am not sure if I want, people who do not indicate, park where they want to, get too close to cyclists.

Saying that I see many cyclists who are no better, going down one way streets the wrong way, riding on pavements, going through red lights, and also thinking that stopping at a zebra crossing when people going across do not apply to them,

We need a reliable and cheap public transport system and not the stupid tram idea that some people are looking at

I agree with everything your have written Adrian with exception to your last paragraph, for me, the tram would be brilliant! I also think it is worth looking into this idea in more detail.

As for buses in Hereford they are a waste of time. There is only one bus in the mornings from Newton Farm to Holmer and I have to change at Tesco in town to catch it! There are plenty from Newton Farm into town but only one from town to Holmer and that arrives an hour earlier than I need,  Have to be at work for 9am. So loads of people moaning that people use cars when they could use public transport but the service just in not there.

I agree with everything your have written Adrian with exception to your last paragraph, for me, the tram would be brilliant! I also think it is worth looking into this idea in more detail.

As for buses in Hereford they are a waste of time. There is only one bus in the mornings from Newton Farm to Holmer and I have to change at Tesco in town to catch it! There are plenty from Newton Farm into town but only one from town to Holmer and that arrives an hour earlier than I need,  Have to be at work for 9am. So loads of people moaning that people use cars when they could use public transport but the service just in not there.

A tram would only be of use to a small part of the city, there are people on the north side of the river and the south that would not be anywhere near where the tram will operate. Also who will pay for it and who will take the cost if it fails? 

If the Tam could cover more of the city which it can not, then I would agree it would be a good idea.

No returns now on the bus either, from the College Green, it is now £2.20 single or a £4 all day ticket, but do that mean just on that route or routes all over Hereford?

TBH, I can go to Gloucester and back  for a few quid more, better shops, cleaner city and just a nicer place.

A tram would only be of use to a small part of the city, there are people on the north side of the river and the south that would not be anywhere near where the tram will operate. Also who will pay for it and who will take the cost if it fails? 

If the Tam could cover more of the city which it can not, then I would agree it would be a good idea.

No returns now on the bus either, from the College Green, it is now £2.20 single or a £4 all day ticket, but do that mean just on that route or routes all over Hereford?

TBH, I can go to Gloucester and back  for a few quid more, better shops, cleaner city and just a nicer place.

Adrian, the infrastructure which could be utilised could run a tram from the top of Newton Farm through Redhill, Hunderton, Whitecross and into the train station, it could also run from the top of Holmer (back of Wiggins), it could also go from Rotherwas. We are looking at private funding and sponsorships like many other cities.

We are merely asking the council to look at this idea and run a feasibility study at the moment but please don't dismiss the idea before any studies take place.  

When I first heard about the tram idea, using Great Western Way, I have to be honest, I thought the same as Adrian.  That it would not get the use as it was too restrictive a route.

But...  Having seen the plans for an extended route, my mind was changed, and I am now hopeful that one day it will come to fruition.

Hopeful...  I cannot see "The powers that be" ever going for it though.  Too much change, not enough new housing, no new roads...  They'll never go for it.

Back to bus prices though, So fed up are the Clarkester's with the new prices, plus having to get up so early just to do a 3 mile trip to school, that I am putting my scooter back on the road, changing my working times and planning to take Clarkester the younger to school myself.  So, great work by the council and Yoemans, another public transport customer lost, and another vehicle on the roads at rush hour.  Good work.

Adrian, the infrastructure which could be utilised could run a tram from the top of Newton Farm through Redhill, Hunderton, Whitecross and into the train station, it could also run from the top of Holmer (back of Wiggins), it could also go from Rotherwas. We are looking at private funding and sponsorships like many other cities.

We are merely asking the council to look at this idea and run a feasibility study at the moment but please don't dismiss the idea before any studies take place.  

I still have my doubts and apart from the odd few people like on here and a mate of mine, most people I talk to also have their doubts. It will take a lot of work and a lot of money and who ever backs it will need deep pockets, the old railway bridge needs a lot of work done on it, there are holes in it where there should not be holes. 

There will still be a large part of the city missed out, Most of Newton farm for a start unless you are going to take the tram onto the roads, Part of Hunderton and Redhill, then you are missing out the College, and Tupsley.

While I like the idea of trams i do not think it will work, by all means try it, as long as as it do not cost the tax payers. i would like electric buses in dedicated lanes, but that will not happen, due to the way Hereford is built.

• 1 year later...

I was really expecting bus prices to be cheaper here than in Cornwall. I remember travelling half way across London for less than it cost me to get from my small town (St. Just) to Penzance - which is only about a half hour car journey and hoped that, being a city, Hereford would offer similar. 

Does anyone know how I can find out bus prices? I'm struggling to cost a route.

It is difficult to find an answer to such an easy request. Herefordshire Council web page states that bus services in Herefordshire are provided by a number of operators. For specific advice on bus fares, lost property or disruptions to services, see the bus contacts page.

Looking at this information which is very scant and time consuming, I couldn't find the price for a journey in the city. Yeomans who run the major city routes have no information on their website about specific prices on their routes. I think they rely on people paying for a day ticket which is cheaper, I think than two single tickets, and can be used on all their bus services.

DRM who operate the 476 (Hereford to Ledbury) and 420 routes (Hereford to Worcester via Bromyard) offer pensioners free travel after 9.30am Monday to Friday and anytime on Saturday. If you are travelling before 9.30am, it will cost £2.00.

However Herefordshire Council offers some residents free travel on local bus services. Free bus travel with these passes is available between 9.30am and 11pm on Monday to Friday, and all day on Saturdays, Sundays and bank holidays. You can travel:

* Across Herefordshire and the rest of England
* Between Herefordshire and places in Wales, provided that each bus journey starts or finishes in Herefordshire
* Between Presteigne and Knighton in Powys

There are three types of bus pass available:

* Older person's pass
* Disabled person's bus pass
* Companion bus pass

There is this site PLUSBUS which gives you unlimited bus travel on participating operators’ services, around the urban area of Hereford city, as shown by their travel maps.

Not a car owner out of choice, I travel with an older person's bus pass and senior railcard and enjoy the benefit of using public transport when convenient. Otherwise I cycle or hire a car as necessary.

Cant believe your moaning over 20p! Do you expect them to keep the prices the same all the time?

The tram idea is probably one of the most sensible ideas I have read about in years, there are just 2 roads into the city centre from the south, massive bottle neck everyday, too many traffic lights and no bypass or additional river crossing expected anytime soon, so the train idea gives another alternative without interfering with pedestrians or cyclists in my opinion its a win win. 

Cant believe your moaning over 20p! Do you expect them to keep the prices the same all the time?

The tram idea is probably one of the most sensible ideas I have read about in years, there are just 2 roads into the city centre from the south, massive bottle neck everyday, too many traffic lights and no bypass or additional river crossing expected anytime soon, so the train idea gives another alternative without interfering with pedestrians or cyclists in my opinion its a win win. 

I agree, the tram idea is one of the best for Hereford in the absence of a bypass. I believe the idea of costs where relatively low and just a few sponsors would cover it. The bridge over the river used to carry coal trains but I agree it would need updating for sure. The tram could run from the top of NF all the way into the train station and they could even open the old tracks which ran to the top of Holmer and going the other way down into Rotherwas.

Sorry guys but the tram is not sensible. In South Wye there is a bus route within two roads of your house. A tram way would be ten roads at least fro majority of homes and going nowhere near where majority of people in south Wye want to go. No good for Hinton, Putson, Lower Bullingham or most of Newton Farm.

Unless a tramway covered the whole city area, charged no more than 50p a trip, had return trips at least every half hour and could get 20,000 travel trips month, no commercial investor in their right mind would spend a £m on building a new terminus, garage, rolling stock and laying track plus put down a financial bond to the council for repairs, bankruptcy, etc of say £100,000, it is not going to happen.

Sorry guys but the tram is not sensible. In South Wye there is a bus route within two roads of your house. A tram way would be ten roads at least fro majority of homes and going nowhere near where majority of people in south Wye want to go. No good for Hinton, Putson, Lower Bullingham or most of Newton Farm.

Unless a tramway covered the whole city area, charged no more than 50p a trip, had return trips at least every half hour and could get 20,000 travel trips month, no commercial investor in their right mind would spend a £m on building a new terminus, garage, rolling stock and laying track plus put down a financial bond to the council for repairs, bankruptcy, etc of say £100,000, it is not going to happen.

Chris, the bus service in Hereford is S H I T  at best! Twice last week buses failed to turn up at all in Hunderton. There is no direct bus from Hunderton to the train station or Holmer, you have to change buses and pay again at least I could of used a tram which is not a solution to the whole of Hereford but would help dramatically, many people are in favour of utilising the great western way by adding a tram service, but as this is not one of your ideas I understand why it does not have your backing..

There speaketh the council, Trust us! We know a better way, talk - talk and do nothing. Or spend £37,000,000 on a road that is empty and blocks up all the others. As an aside, who the heck was responsible for setting the traffic light sequences? Absolute shambles. It's no good saying "we will monitor the traffic flow and adjust it." Get it right first time!! 

I have to agree with Steve and Slim on this. A few years ago when I was a councillor Albert Heinz offered to put a tram system onto the GWW, he was going to pay for the lot including the upkeep afterwards, but the council said NO, Half of the time Chris you don't know what your talking about! you spout a lode of rubbish .The whole of Newton Farm could and would use the tram including people living in Redhill If it had been your idea you would being pushing it!!!.why don't you go back to doing what you know best which is nothing. Or maybe you should be more suited to being father Christmas at the community lunch but  you made a hash of that and looked totally ridiculous.

I have to agree with Steve and Slim on this. A few years ago when I was a councillor Albert Heinz offered to put a tram system onto the GWW, he was going to pay for the lot including the upkeep afterwards, but the council said NO, Half of the time Chris you don't know what your talking about! you spout a lode of rubbish .The whole of Newton Farm could and would use the tram including people living in Redhill If it had been your idea you would being pushing it!!!.why don't you go back to doing what you know best which is nothing. Or maybe you should be more suited to being father Christmas at the community lunch but  you made a hash of that and looked totally ridiculous.

Sometimes you're well out of order Glenda.This post being one of them.

I still have my doubts and apart from the odd few people like on here and a mate of mine, most people I talk to also have their doubts. It will take a lot of work and a lot of money and who ever backs it will need deep pockets, the old railway bridge needs a lot of work done on it, there are holes in it where there should not be holes. 

There will still be a large part of the city missed out, Most of Newton farm for a start unless you are going to take the tram onto the roads, Part of Hunderton and Redhill, then you are missing out the College, and Tupsley.

While I like the idea of trams i do not think it will work, by all means try it, as long as as it do not cost the tax payers. i would like electric buses in dedicated lanes, but that will not happen, due to the way Hereford is built.

A tram or electric bus along the GWW could work.

I like the tram idea, it makes a lot more sense then some of the stupid ideas that the council come up with. As for buses they are pretty unreliable in Hereford in my experience, quite often if you do not have the correct change the driver will refuse to carry you, I complained many times in the past.

I have not posted in here for a while as people are in cloud cuckoo land and that is being polite. 

@mick, 20p may not seem a lot, but since the price of bus fares are over the top in the first place it adds up. going from town to the College Green is £2.30 and going the other way whiich I don't, is now a tour to Bobblestock, due to the  councils over priced road to nowhere, since traffic now have to turn left out of barrs court road. 

Our bus service is overpriced and unreliable, because Yeomans miss out busses if they are late due to the fact that our council seems to love traffic lights and have really mucked up the traffic in this city even more, if that is possible. 

On to the next reason for posting, as much as i hate to agree with a Councillor, Chris Chappell is right, a tram is not feasable and if it is, it will cost a small fortune. 
Last year I went for a walk with some people where the tram would go, a lot of places are blocked off, been built on and just have not got the space.
Take down by aldi for instance, you have a low bridge that would cost hell of a lot of money to change, Bulmers storage yard would also have to be moved to make space.   The iron Bridge is falling apart, you can see the river through the holes that are not suppose to be there.  
A mate of mine who came with us who is very much into the idea of trams, have now realised how difficult it would be.  But carry on in fantasy land, because that is all it will be. 

What we need is a decent bus service that is reliable and for the council to stop building useless roads that will do nothing for the city, even the so called by pass have nothing to do with traffic, it is so the council can open up land to build even more houses that will put even more traffic on the road, by it don't matter as the council will have more money from council tax due to more people moving here.

the council do not care about you, me or the city, or they care about is money, simple as that.  if people do not like this post, I really do not give a monkeys, in my view and in many others view as well, Hereford is a total waste of time, it stinks, it is filthy, shops are closing, traffic is awful,, we have nothing here, cinema is more expensive here than anywhere else, theatre is a waste of space, too small and too expensive for what it is, but at least it makes the posh people happy. 

Many of my friends have left Hereford because they do not see it going anywhere and they are fed up of it being a dead city, now I have very little to stay here for now, with both my parents gone, so I think it may be time to go as well, I know people on here will say good riddance, but again I do not really care. 

I have not posted in here for a while as people are in cloud cuckoo land and that is being polite. 

And of course everything you say MUST be correct I guess...

Adrian, it is no good moaning all the time, some people on here have done a lot of research into various idea's, some of which are very good. I am also in favour of a tram along the GWW but I also like your idea of electric buses, all good idea's, so instead of poo pooing them how about getting behind the idea's because until people like you do nothing will ever happen! Or come up with a suggestion of your own.