Herefordshire Council contractors caught fly tipping

Guest smartieno1

• Guests
Guest smartieno1

Just been sent this video which shows the bin persons dumping black bags in a local residents property....seems like we hve bin persons behaving anti-socially:

I saw this today on my road...however that's because it was a recycling day and because we have a number of disabled wheelchair bound neighbours the guys were graciously preserving pavement access because a few residents have not got into the new routine just yet.

• Guests
Guest smartieno1

Dumping rubbish on private ground is fly-tipping and the home owner confirmed it was not his rubbish as he has a bin..

It is no different to the residents who dump rubbish in the Newton Farm post that you all think is disgusting so either you support the dumping of rubbish or your just dumping on this post cos I made it lol

I would be interested to have it clarified, whether it is the householders responsibility to move wheelie bins back off the pavement, as there are many streets in Whitecross that are becoming increasingly difficult to navigate, because they are left out.

I was under the impression that they should be on the boundary of properties, and not blocking pavements.

In a lot of the side streets, you have to walk in the road. Not great, and not easy to return to the relative safety of the pavement if you are disabled, elderly, or have a pram, with the majority of the area having to use on street parking!

Dippy, when householders took possession of the new bins they also had a booklet stating when the bins were being emptied, on what date, for both household rubbish and recycling, also being asked to put their bins out the night before immediately outside the gate or boundary to their property not to obstruct the pavement or road, they also had stickers with their house numbers to put on bins, so anyone obstructing the pavement or road can be easily identified from their bin.

Dippy, when householders took possession of the new bins they also had a booklet stating when the bins were being emptied, on what date, for both household rubbish and recycling, also being asked to put their bins out the night before immediately outside the gate or boundary to their property not to obstruct the pavement or road, they also had stickers with their house numbers to put on bins, so anyone obstructing the pavement or road can be easily identified from their bin.

Well they can be identified assuming that they put their number on the bin, I know that I have not put my number on my bin because I never had a leaflet, unless it blew away before I got home the day that they were delivered, but yes, in general common sense should prevail. 

This is the problem. 

Two instructions:

1, Put your wheelie bin out on the pavement the night before collection (meaning it's there in the dark).

2. Do not obstruct the pavement with your wheelie bin.

Compounded by the bin being left on the pavement all day after the collection. 

Not everyone lives on a wide road with wide pavements and verges. 

At my house, it would be very easy to put the bin back inside the gate (about 3 feet away) - however that extra few seconds, multiplied over hundreds of houses would, I presume, make the new very difficult (sorry, "efficient"), schedules impossible to achieve so I can understand the operatives working to a policy of doing the minimum at each property.  Any more than that and the job can't be done. 

We seem to be veering slightly off topic...

I can understand the home-owners frustration at having, allegedly, other households rubbish bags dumped in their garden, but come on, fly tipping?  Really?  Seems a bit of a stretch to come to that conclusion.  

And as for comparing it to the unsightly mess left at Sherborne Close?  That's even more "out there."

It seems to me that the bin men have done local residents a favour by keeping the pavements clear of bags.  If they got the wrong person's house, I'm sure that is only because that's the house that the bags were left at, should they have ripped them open and looked for something with an address on it?

In some people's eyes the poor bin men can't do anything right.  I for one think they do a great job, maybe I'm just lucky...

Clarkester - like you I am very satisfied with both the black wheelie bin and the people who collect it . I live on a narrow lane , my home has a pullin / parking place for my car , the pullin is also used by vehicles travelling along the lane to pullin when they meet another vehicle - that's no problem to me . I can and do park my car at the side of our home - back to the point of my post - I leave my wheelie bins about 3 m from the curtlage of my home so that vehicle can use the pullin. If I left the bins right at the edge of the property it stood a very good chance of being skittles over . The bin men understand this and use their discretion . It's always put back to the same place clear of the pullin. For that I thank them .

• Guests
Guest smartieno1

Info on problem wheelie bins as this is not just confined to Hereford...:

http://pedestrianliberation.org/category/wheelie-bins/

This excellent website contains info on the parking of cars, where road signs should be placed and lots of other info on blocking pavements....

You can also use this website to high light the problem:

https://www.fixmystreet.com/report/369612

https://www.fixmystreet.com

As for the issue of who's responsible when a wheelie bin blocks the pavement.....its the householderand you should be fined for improper use of a wheelie bin:

http://www.edp24.co.uk/news/politics/move_your_wheelie_bin_or_risk_an_80_fine_city_council_s_message_to_people_in_norwich_street_1_1691844

Mind you it is clear that the responsibility for replacing the bin back within the cartilage of your property is the Bin People's....and any injury caused to pedestrians by bins blocking the Highway before and/or after bin collection  are the fault of Herefordshire Council...

Hope that helps 

Mind you it is clear that the responsibility for replacing the bin back within the cartilage of your property is the Bin People's....and any injury caused to pedestrians by bins blocking the Highway before and/or after bin collection  are the fault of Herefordshire Council...

Hope that helps 

What a lot of rubbish (excuse the pun) due to the high winds in the last 24 hours there are currently 3 wheelie bins half way down our street i noticed this morning, i suppose that's the councils fault too is it?  Well let me tell you what I have done today, I collected each of these bins and put them back where they had come from and wedged them as best as I could to prevent this happening again. I also informed each of my neighbours, who i must add were very happy and thanked me, so being a good neighbour has to be better than playing the 'Blame Game' in my experience. 

What a lot of rubbish (excuse the pun) due to the high winds in the last 24 hours there are currently 3 wheelie bins half way down our street i noticed this morning, i suppose that's the councils fault too is it?  Well let me tell you what I have done today, I collected each of these bins and put them back where they had come from and wedged them as best as I could to prevent this happening again. I also informed each of my neighbours, who i must add were very happy and thanked me, so being a good neighbour has to be better than playing the 'Blame Game' in my experience. 

Good for you, I wish a few more people would take a leaf out of your book. Well done.  :Thumbs-Up:

Oh Alec...u know I wasn't referring to weather strewn bins

I cannot see how you feel the council are to blame for where the bin men leave your wheelie bin especially as they are emptying hundreds and hundreds everyday. Alex has highlighted a valid point, once the bin men have left anything can happen, wind, animals, vehicles, kids anyone one of these can cause these bins to move, how about applying a little more common sense and a little less blame.

• Guests
Guest smartieno1

Hi Ms Wilson...

The fact is the bin people have a job to that includes putting the bin back to a place of safety.....the fact that they do not have enough time or staff is an issue best directed at other people who should have their fingers on the buttons...

The other thing I strongly recommend you do is read the links and research this issue yourself...the fact that we were stupid enough to allow anyone to introduce wheelie bins in the first place.....is the real issue here.....cos none of this would matter if that had happened...

And just think about how rich the manufacturers of these bins have become.....if only I had friends in high places, who could force people to have to buy my product..I'd be a billionaire over night....oh someone already is!!

Coincidentally, this very issue of pavement blocking was highlighted on a news item yesterday evening.

This was mostly regarding cars partly parking on pavements....but equally applies to cyclists and an army of wheely bins! The report showed how folks with visual impairments and their trusty guide dogs are struggling to navigate their way safely around many obstacles blocking their path.

It also stated that a large proportion of wheelchair users and parents with prams/buggies, find themselves having to walk in the road. 

This is the problem,( H Wilson, M. Preece and Alex), which I was attempting to highlight in my earlier post......nothing to do with adverse weather conditions, being neighbourly, apportioning blame,  or using common sense.

Try navigating the pavements of Whitecross blindfolded, and you'll quickly realise why I am concerned about this.

Coincidentally, this very issue of pavement blocking was highlighted on a news item yesterday evening.

This was mostly regarding cars partly parking on pavements....but equally applies to cyclists and an army of wheely bins! The report showed how folks with visual impairments and their trusty guide dogs are struggling to navigate their way safely around many obstacles blocking their path.

It also stated that a large proportion of wheelchair users and parents with prams/buggies, find themselves having to walk in the road. 

This is the problem,( H Wilson, M. Preece and Alex), which I was attempting to highlight in my earlier post......nothing to do with adverse weather conditions, being neighbourly, apportioning blame,  or using common sense.

Try navigating the pavements of Whitecross blindfolded, and you'll quickly realise why I am concerned about this.

I live in a cul-de-sac so maybe I am blinkered but we live in a World of convenience which includes wheelie bins, good or bad they are here and here to stay, while i did not appreciate the problems you are saying exist in Whitecross etc I am slightly confused as to the difference between 4-5 black bins bags, half of which would be open because of birds to a solid wheelie bin. Surely loads of all size and shaped black bags would cause a bigger problem to the visually impaired?? I still don't agree with laying blame with the bin men. There is no quick fix here, however, I think putting the wheelie bins on the road up next to the kerb has to be a better place than actually on the path for those people who do not have gardens.

I live in a cul-de-sac so maybe I am blinkered but we live in a World of convenience which includes wheelie bins, good or bad they are here and here to stay, while i did not appreciate the problems you are saying exist in Whitecross etc I am slightly confused as to the difference between 4-5 black bins bags, half of which would be open because of birds to a solid wheelie bin. Surely loads of all size and shaped black bags would cause a bigger problem to the visually impaired?? I still don't agree with laying blame with the bin men. There is no quick fix here, however, I think putting the wheelie bins on the road up next to the kerb has to be a better place than actually on the path for those people who do not have gardens.

I agree with alex, what is the difference whether there are blacks bags or bins? Bags poise a bigger problem in many ways compared to bins. 

post-1038-0-42617500-1420974075.jpg

I think these obstructions are worse!

post-1038-0-80689400-1420974322.jpg

Hi Ms Wilson...

The fact is the bin people have a job to that includes putting the bin back to a place of safety.....the fact that they do not have enough time or staff is an issue best directed at other people who should have their fingers on the buttons...

The other thing I strongly recommend you do is read the links and research this issue yourself...the fact that we were stupid enough to allow anyone to introduce wheelie bins in the first place.....is the real issue here.....cos none of this would matter if that had happened...

And just think about how rich the manufacturers of these bins have become.....if only I had friends in high places, who could force people to have to buy my product..I'd be a billionaire over night....oh someone already is!!

Dear smartieno1, I know you directed your response to H.Wilson but I would just like to add my view and that is I think long term wheelie bins have to save money. I was spending on average just under £3.50 every couple of months on black bags, yes you can buy cheaper bags but from my experience you only get what you pay for and the cheaper one often split. You can buy a wheelie for less than £30 and I would of thought the the council would of bought them considerably cheaper for bulk, so these bins will pay for themselves in no time. Issues of blocking pavements is a problem hat i believe needs addressing however, this is the same problem that existed with black bags only birds cant damage the bins in the same way as they did with bags, before the bins were introduced we used to have rubbish and waste food on the pavement because of birds and cats breaking the bags open.

Hi Alex....for the record, I don't have an issue with our wonderful bin men, I think they do a fantastic job, I don't believe I have ever said any differently.

You are correct....six bags will block the pavement equally as much as a wheely bin, causing just as much a problem.....but when the collections were weekly, LESS bags were put  out, and this issue was not as obvious.

I am actually in favour of fortnightly collections.....but there are problems coming to light now, which few people seemed to have taken into consideration.

Pavement access for pedestrians being one of them.

As I said, this isn't just down to refuse, it's also inconsiderate parking, and cyclist who persist on riding on the pavements!

(My apologies to Smartieno1, for taking this thread away from your original post.)

Hi Alex....for the record, I don't have an issue with our wonderful bin men, I think they do a fantastic job, I don't believe I have ever said any differently.

You are correct....six bags will block the pavement equally as much as a wheely bin, causing just as much a problem.....but when the collections were weekly, LESS bags were put  out, and this issue was not as obvious.

I am actually in favour of fortnightly collections.....but there are problems coming to light now, which few people seemed to have taken into consideration.

Pavement access for pedestrians being one of them.

As I said, this isn't just down to refuse, it's also inconsiderate parking, and cyclist who persist on riding on the pavements!

(My apologies to Smartieno1, for taking this thread away from your original post.)

Hi dippy, I was not referring to you with my comments about blaming the bin men, that was directed at the author and in general. I agree that inconsiderate parking and cyclists could be improved.