GWWa.jpg

Cllr Jim Kenyon, county councillor for the Tupsley ward, has helped arrange a litter pick and community day this Sunday, which he hopes will bring community spirit to the area.

He said: "The encouraging thing for me is people from across the city want to sort this problem out and reclaim the lines and make it safe to use.

"It is a thoroughfare from the south of the city to the north of the city. What we want is to make it a safer route."

Cllr Kenyon said the bushes alongside the path are overgrown and this week Herefordshire Council's contractor, Balfour Beatty, is cutting it back over three days.

This extra work is funded by the city council and match funded by the county council.

Cutting back the bushes will reveal a lot of litter, so this is where the community can step in this Sunday and take part in a litter pick- bags and litter pickers will be provided.

Help is also needed to cut back bushes by the exit and entry points to the lines- Cllr Kenyon asked for people to join Colin and to bring any spare loppers or hand saws.

He said there will also be an update on the day about my requests for the LED lighting and the CCTV camera, which is due to be installed this month.

Community groups are involved including Close House and everyone is welcome to join in.

Parking is available at Hereford Rugby Club and there will be free refreshments at the rugby club at 2pm and the chance to talk to police and councillors.

Cllr Laura Hall, from the city council, said she grew up in Hunderton and wants people to realise what a nice area it is.

Meet at the rugby club at 11am. If you would like any more information contact Hereford Voice or call Cllr Kenyon on 07711 316013 or Cllr Hall on 07860 929863

Good to see "Its Our County" councillors taking the lead on this amongst other clear-ups across the city they have organised. The conservatives making the cuts and leaving others to pick up the pieces.

Well done Jim and Laura. I wonder if our local MP will or County Council leader will roll their sleeves up and get involved?

Cutting back the bushes will reveal a lot of litter

Of course it will. I commend the Tupsley Councillor for his efforts to help sort this out but removing rubbish adjacent to public paths is covered already in the Council Tax. Why pay that when you end up having to do it yourself for free? Some might say that once the bushes are pruned back then people on Community Service could do this litter picking in groups instead. It can't be that dangerous in the daytime in supervised groups. Especially as no vehicles are whizzing by.

I wonder if our local MP will or County Council leader will roll their sleeves up and get involved?

Jesse Norman has previously litter picked in town. I think it was a photo opportunity tho. I doubt he was at it all day. In any event he is currently busy on that Sports Select Committee ~ that has raised his profile somewhat today .... 

I met with Cllr Jim Kenyon and Anthony Powers as well as members of the Belfour Beatty team to discuss which are the main target area's. Funding has given Balfour Beatty only 3 days to clear back as much as they possibly can.

Here are some photographs taken of some of the work which is being done this week.

GWWa.jpg

GWWa1.jpg

GWWa2.jpg

GWWa4.jpg

GWWa5.jpg

GWWa7.jpg

GWWa8.jpg

GWWb.jpg

GWWb1.jpg

Add this to the small army of volunteers expected this Sunday to clear even more and we should have massive improvement along the Great Western Way. 

We need as many local volunteers Sunday as possible so please spread the word.

Thanks has to go to the work put in from Cllr Jim Kenyon who has organised the whole clear up operation.

This looks the same as when AMEY did the work for me in 2013 lifting the canopy of the trees by 3 metres and cutting back the undergrowth also putting in new lights!

This time with the additional funding Balfour Beatty are clearing the full length of the GWW from one end to the other including the other side of the Whitecross Rd/ Aldi location. Add this to what the local community can achieve on Sunday and it will be a massive improvement.

Brilliant stuff. Not sure how many personnel BBLP have but as Colin says it will be a great improvement in time for the autumn/winter months.

We are expecting quite a good turnout. I will be there and I have heard from Jim that refreshments of Burgers and Hotdogs are also being supplied, so I'll go just for that! ha ha 

Good work. It is the gloomy section between the Hunderton Bridge and Sainsbury's that needs opening up in my view

Whatever will all the tree huggers in IOC say :Winky:

A lot of that area was cleared today. A few large tree's were removed in order to let in much needed light. Most of the clearing was actually large bushes or young branches on trees. 

Colin, when it was done in 2013, the whole of the GWW was done from up by the skate park in Newton Farm all the way to Sainsbury, I told Amey that was what I wanted, and they did an exellent job.

Is any of the local South Wye Cllrs helping Sunday, it would be good to know which ones if any will turn up, especially the local Cllr for Hunderton and Newton Farm who wards run almost the length of GWW.

A lot of that area was cleared today. A few large tree's were removed in order to let in much needed light. Most of the clearing was actually large bushes or young branches on trees. 

Good to see all this positive work happening along the gww, it has become so overgrown, i'm sure you guys could spend a whole week there just clearing and cutting back. This is really all very good. 

Is any of the local South Wye Cllrs helping Sunday, it would be good to know which ones if any will turn up, especially the local Cllr for Hunderton and Newton Farm who wards run almost the length of GWW.

Is this your monthly pop at Cllr Edwards by any chance Glenda?

I see what you are saying but when the Sun goes down you are just relying on Moonlight ~ plus whatever the street lighting situation is. This solution is being applauded as some sort of major watershed when I don't think it will be. I can well see that after the area has been tidied up and everyone has congratulated themselves for helping out then someone will get battered again. The people hanging about around there are probably not thinking about a few overhanging branches or some overgrown bushes. 

I see what you are saying but when the Sun goes down you are just relying on Moonlight ~ plus whatever the street lighting situation is. This solution is being applauded as some sort of major watershed when I don't think it will be. I can well see that after the area has been tidied up and everyone has congratulated themselves for helping out then someone will get battered again. The people hanging about around there are probably not thinking about a few overhanging branches or some overgrown bushes. 

A nice positive response Roger. We have asked for additional lighting and even more CCTV camera's too. It is not about congratulating ourselves it is about trying to make a difference in our community and getting the local people involved. Funds are low we know, so this project is fantastic in my opinion. It will not solve all of the problems but it will go a long way to making people feel just that bit safer along the GWW. 

A nice positive response Roger. 

I'm not on here to be positive or negative. I call it as I see it. I'm just injecting some realism into the thread. I'm just waiting for the next HT headline saying someone got battered near there again. Not a pleasant wait but it will probably come sooner rather than later.  

I'm not on here to be positive or negative. I call it as I see it. I'm just injecting some realism into the thread. I'm just waiting for the next HT headline saying someone got battered near there again. Not a pleasant wait but it will probably come sooner rather than later.  

Maybe your right but someone could be just as easily attacked on the King George Playing Fields or any other quite areas at night. Local people are obviously reluctant to walk along the GWW at night, especially in light of the terrible recent murder. We certainly do not want this area portrayed as a no go area and the police and local councillors share the same view. We are trying to get some community spirit here with this clear up project and put a positive spin on a bad situation, unfortunately, negative comments end up doing more harm than good. 

K Butt - the answer to your question is NO. I have no interest in Cllr Edwards, and if what I have heard today from people living in Newton Farm neither have they.If you look at my post 14 you will see I ask if any SW Cllrs are helping, SW Cllrs consist of Redhill, Belmont, Hunderton, Newton Farm, and Saxon Gate also the SW Cllrs for the city council.

It doesn't give a good impression to the public when it was a Cllr from north of the city that has arranged this instead of any of the South Wye Cllrs!

Maybe your right but someone could be just as easily attacked on the King George Playing Fields or any other quite areas at night. 

Correct.

unfortunately, negative comments end up doing more harm than good. 

I'm just suggesting that people wake up and smell the coffee. I'm not being negative. When the bushes are cut back and the camera is working then I doubt you will have vast swathes of extra people walking 'the lines' (or nearby) in darkness. It will be dangerous regardless. 

I am not sure that that is the objective, my impression is the cctv may help alleviate crime in this location by it's mere presence, thus making local people feel a little safer. On the other hand it may encourage more use of the great western way, especially if they manage to secure additional lighting and police patrols.

I take your point. That area is a very dodgy situation at night. Would you stroll down there in darkness on your own after all the tree cutting and other stuff Rebecca ?  

Have just been along there. I know the emphasis is on the south side of the river but the section between Barton Road Bridge, past the old BT building really could do with some clearing out. Even on a sunny afternoon it is dark.

Yes we identified that area when I was out with Jim Kenyon and Anthony Powers. If this is not done by the close of play this afternoon it will be tackled hopefully on Sunday.

• 1 month later...

I see the litter is creeping back on GWW. The problem now are the leaves. The council used to sweep the GWW with a road sweeper to clear the path and pick up broken glass pieces, but I have yet to see one this year. The leaves have turned the GWW into a slushy surface and today I helped one woman cyclist who fell off her bike when she ran off the edge of the GWW because she couldn't see the edge. Another dangerous section is the S bend under Barton Road Bridge which if you remember caused flooding because the drains were blocked.

If nothing is done I can see more people coming off their bikes. 

I was along there earlier and yes the leaves have made the surface a bit tricky particularly by the Barton Road bridge. You just have to be a bit careful. Phew - dodging wet leaves as well as loose dogs, dogs on extender leads, wayward children, wobbly adults and people on their phone - it is like cycling on an obstacle course :Happy_32: