How Many Empty Shops In Hereford 2016?

Colin James

Unless you want a haircut or buy some food there is very little incentive to go into town as you can buy absolutely any product from Amazon and get it delivered through your door in less than 24 hours. And there's no parking to pay for.

Unless you want a haircut or buy some food there is very little incentive to go into town as you can buy absolutely any product from Amazon and get it delivered through your door in less than 24 hours. And there's no parking to pay for.

I actually prefer to support local traders where I can and the shopping and getting out and about experience personally, I do purchase online but that is not my first choice.

I agree with you up until your last paragraph, young people are in need of new affordable homes but I do not think the city centre/outskirts is where they should be.

This made me laugh- cheers! Look at the oval keepmoat thread and the uproar that has caused!! You'll upset another group of folks if you do that!

You can't please everyone. If I didn't have the opportunity to own an affordable home, then I'd still be lining my AUSTRALIAN (yes living there) landlords pockets!

This made me laugh- cheers! Look at the oval keepmoat thread and the uproar that has caused!! You'll upset another group of folks if you do that!

You can't please everyone. If I didn't have the opportunity to own an affordable home, then I'd still be lining my AUSTRALIAN (yes living there) landlords pockets!

Please read my reply again, I said young people are in need of new affordable homes? All I am saying is that I do not think the city centre (High Town) is where they should be building them. 

I understand that one of the shops in Eign Gate is going to be the Samaritans Charity Shop .

I agree re Eign St . Every time we pass the empty shops opposite Steels Garage Mrs Ubique remarks that they should be knocked down and replaced by flats or just convert the shops etc to homes . Two shops on the garage side of Eign St by the Church have in the last few months been converted to homes so it can be done .

It amazes me why some posts have negative markdowns like Ubiques.

The premises opposite Steels have looked very tatty for as long as I can remember and don't show Hereford in a good light.

They are also in an area that gets very little footfall making them pretty unviable as a profitable business.

Surely converting these buildings into affordable flats would be a positive move.

Thanks Ragwert - you , like me will know that the shops in Eign St opposite Steels Garage have changed hands regularly ,proving that in this day and age shops owners find it very hard to make an honest living.

The A49 puts this area outside the "City Centre " plus at the rear of these shops is a three storey block of flats and another block of Flats within a 100m .

I hope that the posters who marked me down ( 3 at the moment ) have driven down Eign St by Steels Garage and observed the rundown area. Thank you.

It amazes me why some posts have negative markdowns like Ubiques.

The premises opposite Steels have looked very tatty for as long as I can remember and don't show Hereford in a good light.

They are also in an area that gets very little footfall making them pretty unviable as a profitable business.

Surely converting these buildings into affordable flats would be a positive move.

I disagree, a friend of mine has just opened a new hair salon exactly there, she moved from the smaller shop in the same row to the new bigger shop. She has spent money and invested in her business and is very busy. The new salon looks beautiful, so a lot of these places just need money and someone with a vision. It is easy to walk away but I do think that the landlords could do a lot more. The footfall along this stretch of the road is more than you may think, this is the main walkway down to the subway into town and people walking from town to Sainsbury's and Whitecross

I disagree, a friend of mine has just opened a new hair salon exactly there, she moved from the smaller shop in the same row to the new bigger shop. She has spent money and invested in her business and is very busy. The new salon looks beautiful, so a lot of these places just need money and someone with a vision. It is easy to walk away but I do think that the landlords could do a lot more. The footfall along this stretch of the road is more than you may think, this is the main walkway down to the subway into town and people walking from town to Sainsbury's and Whitecross

I am a regular at Butterfly, the new shop is lovely  :Thumbs-Up:

I agree with you Ubique even if the downstairs areas are shops the upper floors could be converted into habitable living space.  There are so many single young people looking for somewhere to live ideal.  Many youngsters would be more than happy with a bedsit arrangement as long as it is self contained.  

Holland do it even stores like Tescos now build on top of their single storey buildings supplying flats/apartments.  There is no such thing as a single storey building in Holland.  Ask Kirstie Allsopp who does know what she is talking about! 

I actually prefer to support local traders where I can and the shopping and getting out and about experience personally, I do purchase online but that is not my first choice.

Sadly Roger is right, unless you want a hair cut or something that you can't get on-line there is very little reason to go into town. Last week I got myself a vented umbrella off Ebay, the type that is supposed to be wind proof. Can I get one in Hereford? I doubt it and if I did I would be paying a lot more than what I paid and to be honest, I have not got the initiative to go looking around all the places in Hereford that may or may not have one. 

I know shops have overheads and they are bound to be more expensive than going online, but a lot of the time they are way over the top.

I like to support local if I can, I will go to a butcher now and again and I like to get my cheese from a stall in the butter market, but even with our new multi-million-pound shopping centre, there is very little here above the normal food and clothes. 

Go into the new market and you are faced with a load of restaurants, some shops that sell clothes, a shop or two that sell, well I am not sure what they sell, Shops like Tiger and Sea salt. then a lot of the other shops was in the main city centre.

People on here know my views on the new market, or most do anyway, but I will say it again. I am not against it being built, never have been,  something had to be done with the old Market ground. What I was against is the lying and way things was done, including taking the shops from the old city centre, which we were told would not happen. 

In the old centre we seem to be having more coffee shops, I love coffee, but even I think there is maybe too many now and the latest one is right next to one which I support as it is local and yet more tables and chairs out on the street. don't get me wrong, I like this being outside thing, Hereford was stuck in the past for so long not allowing it, but maybe now there is too much on the streets. Hairdressers and barbers seem to be also having a good time as we have had a fair few open over the last 12 months or so.  We are also having more restaurants, how many do we need?

It is sad to see Hereford like this, with empty shops and very little choice unless you want to eat and have your hair cut. Hereford I used to know have gone, I really used to like Hereford, but now it is just for the retired. No doubt this post will get a load of down votes, but if people really opened their eyes they will see I am right. I have lived here all my life so far and I have seen it change from great, to good, to bad.

I did go to the new cinema to see Starwars, that was good and it is something we needed, I do think it is maybe a bit big for Hereford but it was good. against my better judgement, we also went to Frankie and Bennys as we went straight from work. First and last time, I do not think I will ever go there again. The cinema I may if there is something on I really want to watch.

From the Guardian three years ago -

Developers will be allowed to create two flats instead of just one above shops without planning permission, the communities secretary, Eric Pickles, will announce on Saturday.

As the government prepares for a major new initiative on housing next week, Pickles will say that the "commonsense" reform, designed to increase the number of homes in town centres, will be in place by 1 October.

Under current regulations, only one flat can be created above a shop without planning permission. This will be increased to two flats above shops and financial and professional services premises.

The change is part of the government's response to the review of high streets by the retail guru Mary Portas.

Grant Shapps, the housing minister, said in March he would go further than the Portas review to relax the one-flat rule to help make town centres more vibrant.

Pickles said: "These are commonsense planning reforms that will deliver more affordable homes in areas where there are good transport links whilst ensuring better use of existing developed land.

"Cutting this red tape should be a shot in the arm for the high street, increasing footfall and providing a boost to regeneration."

Greg Clark, the planning minister, said: "The government is determined to make the very best use of existing buildings to provide more homes as quickly and simply as possible.

"Ensuring unused space above shops can be used in a better way is one of the many changes the government has introduced to streamline the planning system and to cut unnecessary bureaucracy."

In her review, Portas wrote: "I believe that our high streets have reached a crisis point. I believe that unless urgent action is taken much of Britain will lose, irretrievably, something that is fundamental to our society.

"Something that has real social and well as economic worth to our communities and that, after many years of erosion, neglect and mismanagement, something I felt was destined to disappear forever."

Sadly Roger is right, unless you want a hair cut or something that you can't get on-line there is very little reason to go into town. Last week I got myself a vented umbrella off Ebay, the type that is supposed to be wind proof. Can I get one in Hereford? I doubt it and if I did I would be paying a lot more than what I paid and to be honest, I have not got the initiative to go looking around all the places in Hereford that may or may not have one. 

I know shops have overheads and they are bound to be more expensive than going online, but a lot of the time they are way over the top.

I like to support local if I can, I will go to a butcher now and again and I like to get my cheese from a stall in the butter market, but even with our new multi-million-pound shopping centre, there is very little here above the normal food and clothes. 

Go into the new market and you are faced with a load of restaurants, some shops that sell clothes, a shop or two that sell, well I am not sure what they sell, Shops like Tiger and Sea salt. then a lot of the other shops was in the main city centre.

People on here know my views on the new market, or most do anyway, but I will say it again. I am not against it being built, never have been,  something had to be done with the old Market ground. What I was against is the lying and way things was done, including taking the shops from the old city centre, which we were told would not happen. 

In the old centre we seem to be having more coffee shops, I love coffee, but even I think there is maybe too many now and the latest one is right next to one which I support as it is local and yet more tables and chairs out on the street. don't get me wrong, I like this being outside thing, Hereford was stuck in the past for so long not allowing it, but maybe now there is too much on the streets. Hairdressers and barbers seem to be also having a good time as we have had a fair few open over the last 12 months or so.  We are also having more restaurants, how many do we need?

It is sad to see Hereford like this, with empty shops and very little choice unless you want to eat and have your hair cut. Hereford I used to know have gone, I really used to like Hereford, but now it is just for the retired. No doubt this post will get a load of down votes, but if people really opened their eyes they will see I am right. I have lived here all my life so far and I have seen it change from great, to good, to bad.

I did go to the new cinema to see Starwars, that was good and it is something we needed, I do think it is maybe a bit big for Hereford but it was good. against my better judgement, we also went to Frankie and Bennys as we went straight from work. First and last time, I do not think I will ever go there again. The cinema I may if there is something on I really want to watch.

I am surprised that you still live in Hereford because all you do is moan!

You was against the lying and taking the shops from the old city centre which we were told would not happen?

You talk like you are blaming the council? This is a private venture and the stores can choose to go where the prefer? I do not recall being told lies? If I was a store owner, I know I would prefer a new building in a prime location with 12 months free rent over an old listed building with huge annual maintenance costs in some cases.

You was against the lying and taking the shops from the old city centre which we were told would not happen?

You talk like you are blaming the council? This is a private venture and the stores can choose to go where the prefer? I do not recall being told lies? If I was a store owner, I know I would prefer a new building in a prime location with 12 months free rent over an old listed building with huge annual maintenance costs in some cases.

Adrian Pitt, you beat me to it. Mr Symonds will be the first to moan if it all ends up closed too. No pleasing some people. It is all about supply and demand and from my experience over the past year, the vast majority of these new restaurants are really busy especially at night. The coffee shops are always busy, we were only in Costa (high town) yesterday and the queue was almost to the door and this was only mid morning. Good luck to them all I say and it is finally nice to have some choice. 

Great to read the common sense approach of Mary Portals, in Ubique's post above.

I seem to recall Megilleland previously posting something similar a while back, regarding how to make the most of town centres and breathe life back into them.

This is one of the reasons that - although I still have some mis givings about the proposed University - I would welcome them taking over some of the redundant shops.

I think it could add to the mix. With the proposed student accommodation blocks being in the centre, this would appear to at least be a bit of joined up thinking. No doubt the students will also frequent the other shops... and add a bit to the night time economy!

Well I wish her well chap.

The last few evenings I've walked past your friend has been sat at the back with her chairs empty.

Great boots though!

Evening Adrian Symonds!

You're recollections are quite correct. There was an 'anti poaching' policy in place. Businesses which were already established were not supposed to leave the centre.

However, this was abandoned. So yes, we were lied to.

Some of the most significant  'gaps', such as Dorothy Perkins/Top Shop/TK Maxx are now filled, which is positive news. This does makes a big difference to the feel of the centre, as they are highly visible premises.

Amazon rated #1 for Customer Satisfaction ...

Politics Home

Not a shock to be honest, I use amazon now and again, I know some people won't use it because they do not pay as much tax as they should, but that is the government fault, not Amazon.  The only problem with Amazon is that if you send too many items back they can and do cancel your account. But they are quick to replace items.

I try to use Ebay if I can. The one problem with buying online is that you have to be at home for the items.

A private venture maybe, but one that Hereford council sold out cheap too, but it don't matter that it cost us the tax payer millions, well it seems like it don't. 

I have never trusted politicians and what have happened over the years, not just in Hereford proves that I am right.

Adrian Pitt, you beat me to it. Mr Symonds will be the first to moan if it all ends up closed too. No pleasing some people. It is all about supply and demand and from my experience over the past year, the vast majority of these new restaurants are really busy especially at night. The coffee shops are always busy, we were only in Costa (high town) yesterday and the queue was almost to the door and this was only mid morning. Good luck to them all I say and it is finally nice to have some choice. 

I would be the first to moan if it all ends up closed would I, so why would that be? I walk past it when I come into town, I have no interest in going in there at all, it annoyed me that a pedestrian crossing was taken away, which means I have to cross two roads instead of the one I used to cross. 

It has been there for over a year now and all I been in is Vodafone, twice,  with a mate, Waitrose with another mate a few weeks after it opened, once, Frankie and benny's just before Christmas, not my choice and the cinema again just before Christmas. 

I may go to the cinema again, but the rest of the centre I am not bothered about.

So if it closes it is not going to bother me, also let see how long these shops stay open once the cheap rents and rates are over.

The only problem is that people will lose their jobs. 

As for costa, I do not like their coffee, out of the large companies Nero is one of the better ones, I did go into the new Costa in High town once. 

As I said I try to support local, even to buying coffee I use at home, from James Gourmet in Ross on wye.

Evening Adrian Symonds!

You're recollections are quite correct. There was an 'anti poaching' policy in place. Businesses which were already established were not supposed to leave the centre.

However, this was abandoned. So yes, we were lied to.

Some of the most significant  'gaps', such as Dorothy Perkins/Top Shop/TK Maxx are now filled, which is positive news. This does makes a big difference to the feel of the centre, as they are highly visible premises.

It had to be abandoned. There was nothing and there is nothing stopping any business from moving from one location to the other.

I would be the first to moan if it all ends up closed would I, so why would that be? I walk past it when I come into town, I have no interest in going in there at all, it annoyed me that a pedestrian crossing was taken away, which means I have to cross two roads instead of the one I used to cross. 

It has been there for over a year now and all I been in is Vodafone, twice,  with a mate, Waitrose with another mate a few weeks after it opened, once, Frankie and benny's just before Christmas, not my choice and the cinema again just before Christmas. 

I may go to the cinema again, but the rest of the centre I am not bothered about.

So if it closes it is not going to bother me, also let see how long these shops stay open once the cheap rents and rates are over.

The only problem is that people will lose their jobs. 

As for costa, I do not like their coffee, out of the large companies Nero is one of the better ones, I did go into the new Costa in High town once. 

As I said I try to support local, even to buying coffee I use at home, from James Gourmet in Ross on wye.

Hang on.........Its coming........nearly there.........Yaaaawwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnn

Hang on.........Its coming........nearly there.........Yaaaawwwwwwwwnnnnnnnnn

And this is why you get the same people posting on here and very few new ones. 

I know a few people who could add a lot to this board, one that does a fair bit of campaigning for things that he see as wrong for Hereford, including the link road and yet they stay clear of this board. I wonder why?

And this is why you get the same people posting on here and very few new ones. 

I know a few people who could add a lot to this board, one that does a fair bit of campaigning for things that he see as wrong for Hereford, including the link road and yet they stay clear of this board. I wonder why?

We have plenty of members who also choose not to comment but often email me. Nobody has to use this forum, maybe you would prefer the HT where it is a free for all. 

There is commenting about Hereford and there is consistant moaning...

Back to the empty shop topic please.

Well I wish her well chap.

The last few evenings I've walked past your friend has been sat at the back with her chairs empty.

Great boots though!

Well that could be down to the time of day but trust me she is very busy, in fact she is looking for staff, if you know of any qualified hair stylists, get them to pop in.