Planning refused for ATM's at the Old Market

ragwert

Planning applications for two ATM's on the Old Market have been refused

By virtue of their scale and appearance in such a prominent location, the introduction of the two pods containing these ATMs would appear a cumbersome afterthought that would unacceptably detract from the immaculate frontage of the flagship retail destination in Hereford. This is contrary to saved Policies S2 and DR1 of the Herefordshire Unitary Development Plan and part 7 of the National Planning Policy Framework.

Planning consent granted for the following...

Old Market, New Market Street, Hereford, Herefordshire DESCRIPTION: Proposed scheme of 'place making' installations. To include, signage fixed to existing structures, infill branded screens, totem style wayfinding, new seating, box planters, artificial green wall, art installations and a Hereford Bull sculpture. There is also an associated suspended street lighting scheme to an area of the development THE COUNTY OF HEREFORDSHIRE DISTRICT COUNCIL hereby gives notice in pursuance of the above Act and Regulations that CONSENT has been GRANTED for the display of the advertisements described above in accordance with the application and plans submitted to the authority subject to the compliance with the Standard Conditions set out overleaf and the following condition: 1 This consent shall expire on 13 August 2020. Reason: In the interests of the visual amenity of the area and to comply with Paragraph 67 ofthe National Planning Policy Framework.

From what I make of the decision the site plans were awful the pods were not shown properly in the app,the exact location was a mystery to

the planning committee,and looking at the planning app I have to agree.

I disagree. A supposed new bespoke shopping centre without a basic cashpoint is a disgrace. 

Use a debit card. Get cash back. Simples.

Some people prefer to pay by cash, I do for a start.

Also some people do not have a debit card, I know they are very few and far between, but there are still some that only have a cash card.

I am with  Jango1969 in that the shops there are not really what I would use or the restaurants for that matter.

I disagree. A supposed new bespoke shopping centre without a basic cashpoint is a disgrace.

I agree too Roger, I have never known a shopping centre not to have ATM machines. Planning department pass some very odd things, yet on the other hand refuse simple things like this? It's beyond me.

Get a grip and a bank account! Why all the fuss.

I have got a bank account and have had one since before I left school, but I still prefer cash. Some people can not get a bank account that gives out debit cards.

Other people just prefer to use cash, it is still legal tender, so people have that right, My Dad for instance never use his card, my sister gets money out for him every week and he uses that.

Must admit I never carry cash and have not used a cash machine for a very long time.

Everywhere on the Old Market takes debit card so what's the point of having an ATM.

It is pretty difficult to go around Hereford everyday,every week unless you only use the larger shops with out cash , unless you do not have chips from a chippy or get a coffee from coffee cart, even a lot of taxis do not take cards. All the big stores take cards, but some smaller ones still don't.

With cash I know how much I am spending and not giving into the large card suppliers, Visa and Barcly card to spend more and make them more money.

I did laugh when I read the HT article about the reason the ATMS was refused, blot on the landscape type of thing. Really? The whole old Market is a blot on the landscape, certainly when you look at the back from Edgar street with all that wood. 

The front is not nice either, who ever designed the old Market should give up, 

Use a debit card. Get cash back. Simples.

I will address this.

Today I was in the Old Market, I noticed after I had parked that the car park payment machine was out of order and can only take cash.

Old Market Car Park.jpg

I purchased some beverages from Coffee Card and asked for cash back, we do not offer that facility I was advised by the young lady who served me. I then purchased a coat for my daughter in TK Maxx, again, I asked for cash back and I was told the same thing. I then went and purchased some socks from Next and again I asked for cash back and guess what? They do not offer it either but advised me that Waitress supermarket do. I now find myself buying something that I do not really need in order to get cash back to pay for my car parking in this shopping centre, what a complete and utter joke and waste of my time.

Who was it that said we do not need ATM's here? 

As some of the guys have mentioned this should have happened during the build phase however if you park up somewhere in old town and just do a little walking through Widemarsh Street ..sorted right and of course you continue to support the the centre that was.

Besides whenever I walk past the kiddie ride I always have a chuckle because I know it's so popular eh Roger

As some of the guys have mentioned this should have happened during the build phase however if you park up somewhere in old town 

Ah .... I see someone posted somewhere else that they did just that yesterday. Outside Planet Buffet which I consider to be the old part. They were in a 07-19 parking bay that changes to be taxis only at 19. She returned to her car bang on 19 to see a CEO had slapped a massive fine on it showing the end time as 7 PM ~ for being in a taxi bay. The ticket only shows whole minutes on it and so she was there potentially illegally between 19.00:01 and 19.00:59 .... So The Council are really showing no common sense here for people visiting or buying stuff locally using cars. The ticket got cancelled within 24 hours after the internet decided the issue of it was plain daft. 

I will address this.

Today I was in the Old Market, I noticed after I had parked that the car park payment machine was out of order and can only take cash.

attachicon.gifOld Market Car Park.jpg

I purchased some beverages from Coffee Card and asked for cash back, we do not offer that facility I was advised by the young lady who served me. I then purchased a coat for my daughter in TK Maxx, again, I asked for cash back and I was told the same thing. I then went and purchased some socks from Next and again I asked for cash back and guess what? They do not offer it either but advised me that Waitress supermarket do. I now find myself buying something that I do not really need in order to get cash back to pay for my car parking in this shopping centre, what a complete and utter joke and waste of my time.

This only highlights the needs for an atm at the old market.

I will address this.

attachicon.gifOld Market Car Park.jpg

Rather pointless argument there Colin.There are three car park payment machines on ground level,just walk to the next one.....round the corner

Rather pointless argument there Colin.There are three car park payment machines on ground level,just walk to the next one.....round the corner

While I do not drive and have never been in the old Market carpark and only been to the old market itself once, not sorry twice, I did think it would be strange just to have one machine which in what looks like a pretty large carpark. 

I still think it is stupid not to have cash machines and the reason the council gives for refusing the planning permission, just shows that they should give up, retire and get out of politics. 

I bet there are cash machines in any other shopping centre. even one in Maylords now thanks to Wilko and one by the Butter Market.