Local Election 2015.....The Results!

dippyhippy

I am very tired and need to rest and chill. But come Monday will be back to my self again. Saxon Gate was a scandal, but as it was part of my former Ward, I will be doing what I can to ensure that a non Tory wins the by- election. I will leaflet, canvass and as a former councillor and Agent for elections, am prepared to act as Agent for the non Tory candidate!! But posters need to help!

It is now important that all of us, what ever our political leanings, dislikes, etc should be as one on this. I will give my forty years experience of elections to ensure that David is elected to the Saxon Gate Ward . So are you with me, and will you help with leafleting, canvassing and getting out there to ensure that a non Tory is elected?

Chris Chappel, you are a thoroughly decent man. Together we can get the colour Blue from the minds of the electorate!

I am very tired and need to rest and chill. But come Monday will be back to my self again. Saxon Gate was a scandal, but as it was part of my former Ward, I will be doing what I can to ensure that a non Tory wins the by- election. I will leaflet, canvass and as a former councillor and Agent for elections, am prepared to act as Agent for the non Tory candidate!! But posters need to help!

It is now important that all of us, what ever our political leanings, dislikes, etc should be as one on this. I will give my forty years experience of elections to ensure that David is elected to the Saxon Gate Ward . So are you with me, and will you help with leafleting, canvassing and getting out there to ensure that a non Tory is elected?

I'll give you a hand chris as I cannot believe today's events plus I do not want another councillor with suspected connections to FC on the council!

Evening Amanda...... if there is any doubt about the validity of the result in Widemarsh.....it simply has to be challenged.

You were so very close. If there are any issues.....a by election must be called.

Yes Amanda if there's any doubt have it looked @?

seriously gutted for you Hereford has missed out on having a top class decent honourable person, in you sitting on the council!!

I'm sure David will take you up on the offer, he has had lots of offers from fellow IOC members as well, I hope Chris this is a sign that perhaps we can get our act together and work together instead of against ourselves as we did today.

I'm sure David will take you up on the offer, he has had lots of offers from fellow IOC members as well, I hope Chris this is a sign that perhaps we can get our act together and work together instead of against ourselves as we did today.

Absolutely agree, what's the problem here? To my mind if Glenda Vaughan Powell and Chris Chappell had joined IOC as the preferred candidate for their ward they would not have risked splitting the vote! IOC would have been stupid to have proposed an alternative Candidate to either of them!

I desperately want that to happen, Jimbo.

Why stand against good Councillors??? Surely the greater good has got to be at the fore now??

Put the strongest, and best candidates forward. Sort the wheat from the chaff.

Work together for Hereford's future.

Please.

You see we are already moving on great stuff!

Jimbo..I still have that slate in Costa..grab an extra shot mate on that expresso

I'm on my second bottle of red and have consumed a multi pack of Mars Bars - all nutritional groups covered.

With the hangover I'll have tomorrow..... that Costa slate may take a hammering.

I shall be in desperate need of a black coffee..... or three!

As a loser in the Hagley Ward may I add a few words to the Independent/IOC working together?  I stood to defeat a Conservative but ended up having to fight against a local IOC candidate as well. As we both got over 600 votes  to the Conservative's 749 the logic is that if one had withdrawn then the Conservative would have lost. I had hoped that the two leaders of the groups would have got together to select only one candidate but I have been told by IOC sources that the Independents have declined to work with the IOC.  The inevitable division allowed a Conservative victory.  

However, I now feel that the future lies with the IOC if they hold their nerve.  They have a clearer ethos, are more of a team and are more modern in their approach eg social media. Their support of successful and unsuccessful candidates was commendable today.  They need to get their name better known long before general elections and sustain it.  Im confident that it can be done. Their priority must be to become better known in Herefordshire.    I dont see the IOC putting two of their own candidates in the same ward. 

The future lies with a well organised party that can keep its message in the minds of local people. Good luck.

As a loser in the Hagley Ward may I add a few words to the Independent/IOC working together? I stood to defeat a Conservative but ended up having to fight against a local IOC candidate as well. As we both got over 600 votes to the Conservative's 749 the logic is that if one had withdrawn then the Conservative would have lost. I had hoped that the two leaders of the groups would have got together to select only one candidate but I have been told by IOC sources that the Independents have declined to work with the IOC. The inevitable division allowed a Conservative victory.

However, I now feel that the future lies with the IOC if they hold their nerve. They have a clearer ethos, are more of a team and are more modern in their approach eg social media. Their support of successful and unsuccessful candidates was commendable today. They need to get their name better known long before general elections and sustain it. Im confident that it can be done. Their priority must be to become better known in Herefordshire. I dont see the IOC putting two of their own candidates in the same ward.

The future lies with a well organised party that can keep its message in the minds of local people. Good luck.

Well said I couldn't agree more

As a loser in the Hagley Ward may I add a few words to the Independent/IOC working together? I stood to defeat a Conservative but ended up having to fight against a local IOC candidate as well. As we both got over 600 votes to the Conservative's 749 the logic is that if one had withdrawn then the Conservative would have lost. I had hoped that the two leaders of the groups would have got together to select only one candidate but I have been told by IOC sources that the Independents have declined to work with the IOC. The inevitable division allowed a Conservative victory.

However, I now feel that the future lies with the IOC if they hold their nerve. They have a clearer ethos, are more of a team and are more modern in their approach eg social media. Their support of successful and unsuccessful candidates was commendable today. They need to get their name better known long before general elections and sustain it. Im confident that it can be done. Their priority must be to become better known in Herefordshire. I dont see the IOC putting two of their own candidates in the same ward.

Spot on mikefitz!

Please forgive me if I sound like an arrogant bad loser....but....I was shocked by the winners of certain wards, for example, the winner of Stoney Street, where I live, is a short, fat, toothless, scruffy, unkempt little chap...a Tory who, on questioning knows nothing of Swainshill or Bishopstone or the people that live here and what their needs are...lots of farms...now in the hands of a gormless berk at the expense of the impressive James Stokes who has lived and worked with this ward all of his life. It really just goes to show...and you will probably dislike me for this....that the Herefordshire electorate at present is easily duped or simply not bothered.

I went around taking a few of my own boards down yesterday, and whilst doing so asked one or two people why they had voted Bob Matthews, the replies; "because we recognised his name on the voting slip"!!! OMG! Not one mention of what he has or hasn't done or what he stands for, the answer being, not a lot. In the short time I've been I Hereford I've helped save Credenhills nursery from potential closure and helped put Hereford County Hospital in Special Measures.

Please enlighten me as to why I should stand up for these people again?

Wow ! Leave the County for 15 hours and returned to 127 emails all relating to the Local Election - I am very sorry to read the results , sadly , as said in a number of comments the Independants and IOC split the votes allowing the Cons to win the seat. I am sure that there will be some serious thinking between the two Parties.

Sad to hear that Glenda and Charles were not reelected it's their Wards loss.

Dippy , second bottle of wine - you know what that classes you as !

Someone posted yesterday (I expect it was Greenknight, as he seems to have been talking a lot of common sense here lately), that the Independents and It's Our County really need to sort out their act over this business of not both fighting every ward together, but divi-ing out the winnable contests evenly and fairly. When he was IOC Leader, Mark Hubbard tried unsuccessfully to get Bob Matthews to play ball.

Last Thursday, in 19 of the 51 contested wards across Herefordshire, Independents and IOC were on the same ballot paper, yet only managed to see off the Tory candidate in three cases (Aylestone Ward, Belmont and Greyfriars). Even more extraordinary is the fact that in 9 of these 19 contests, the combined Indie/IOC vote exceeded the Tory take, College being a classic example: Con 539, Indie/IOC 817! In other words (and get your hankies out for a good blub, folks), if either Paul Andrews or Roger Goodwin had graciously agreed to step aside, we wouldn't be stuck with the appaling Brian Wilcox for another four years!

At national level, 'deals' between politicl parties are struck all the time. Why can't Herefordshire wake up and smell the coffee? I suspect that if an accommodation between Matthews and Powers had been struck before 7th May, we'd be looking at a very different set of results. And probably a very different administraion.

Lovely photo of two of the new Conservative Ward Councillors in the Hereford Times this week on page 119.  Jon Johnson now Wormside on the left and David Harlow now Llangarron on the right.

Two faces to watch they will go far.

They're cleaning a bus shelter.  What is it with bus shelters and the Cons Patricia Morgan adopted one and she really was terribly proud of it.

Is like to Echo Mikefitz comments. I fought to move the conservative hold on the ward and did not know when I stood that Mike was standing and visa versa until weeks in when we mentioned it in an email conversation. We both wanted to make change and worked really hard to cover the ward and speak to everyone knocking on the majority of doors. Had there not been a general election on the same day in positive the Torie turnout would have been lower and the double ticking would have been less giving the IND & IOC a fairer chance, I'm proud that there were only 20 votes between Mike & I which shows that the ward do not want the CON in control. I do have to say that if I was not running Mike would have had my vote. Going forward Mike and I I'm sure will meet up soon and formulate a plan to represent the ward in other ways and along with our other IOC / IND colleagues get our wards voices heard and the CON candidate can continue to do what he has and way done and serve in his way. Eventually IOC /IND will need to harmonise to become and effective team for change. Thanks Mike for being a great opponent and thankyou HerefordVoice for your support.

A wonderful post from you, Paul.... as was Mikes earlier one.

You will both continue to have my support in the future.

If we can take anything from yesterdays awful results, it has to be that working together must be the way forward.

Morning Dazza. Your post raised some interesting points..... and no, you don't sound like a bad loser!

In my humble opinion, folks like the familiar, a familiar name is a name they think they can trust. It's wrong, but this is what people think. It really is all about raising your profile, becoming known as not just Darrell who works hard for the community, but Darrell who works hard for the community AND represents IOC.

In short, blowing your own trumpet a bit, whilst waving an IOC flag!

Folks HAVE to make that connection...... so that when they see it written on their ballot paper, they are reassured that they "know" this person, and are confident to put a cross in the box.

Please stand again. You have so much to offer.

I desperately want that to happen, Jimbo.

Why stand against good Councillors??? Surely the greater good has got to be at the fore now??

Put the strongest, and best candidates forward. Sort the wheat from the chaff.

Work together for Hereford's future.

Please.

Have Hereford got a future now?

Morning Adrian!

In a word..... Yes. I have to believe that.

However, things are going to need to be done differently, and I think they will in the future. It's not enough these days, to appear a few weeks before an election and announce you are standing. No matter how good the intentions, what good you have achieved for your community, and how decent you are as an individual..... you have to use the time in between elections to really hammer home the fact that you STAND for something.

It sounds crass, but it really is like building a brand..... Team IOC. Putting, that face, that name and that party together. Linking it all, in peoples minds. 

And of course, working with like minded Independents to ensure this splitting of the vote never happens again.

Some truly wonderful individuals have stepped forward this election. Standing with the sole aim of doing what is right for their community.

Let's hope that they continue.

Next Friday and Saturday at Whitecross School there is a meeting about the development of the Three Elms site on the west of Hereford City. The Church Commisoners who own the land have to tick a box that they have covered "community involvement" prior to making a planning application later.

On the following Tuesday evening (19th) they will present their "findings" about "what local people want", according to what people have said at the "consultation" events.

So if any of you can get there to ask questions, do it!

This is not just about Three Elms, there are many ways in which this can affect the future planning of the whole of Hereford.

(Full details on Land at Three Elms thread)