Local Election 2015.....The Results!

dippyhippy

Hi, please excuse me as I've been to Gilbies to drown my sorrows and celebrate my partners success in winning Belmont.

I'm sorry I've let down people like Jean Harris but I was amazed 431 people took the time to think I was worth a vote. Unfortunately the sway of conservatism made a Huge difference in the local elections, I think I could of won if the Greens had'nt stood in my ward as they diluted it but hay ho, with my partner being the new councillor at Belmont I will be able to have a say in some things to her and I would like to say Thankyou to Adrain Bridges who had a disagreement with my partner Tracy yesterday but yet today apologised and said if there is any advice you need just knock on my door, that is much appreciated and takes a man to say it.

Just to give you an idea how bad the sway to conservatism was Mark Chester who was standing in belmont who never stepped foot in the ward and was a paper candidate came second, he was told firmly by Tracy about this and how disgusting it is not to try for the electorate. I'm gutted for my mate Dazza, Paul, Amanda and Jon stannard amongst others who are really good people and more in touch with the real world then the people the public elected.

We can beat the Torys but in all honesty the independents and the IOC need to get together and if there is a standing councillor there let them be, go one to one with the Torys and they wouldn't have no more than half a dozen seats, Hereford needs change and unfortunately it will be 4 years before that can happen but in the meantime the powers that be in the IOC need to to chat with the Independents and make changes in their strategy for the greater good.

The ratio of IOC's to Conservatives is much the same as prior to the election. Thanks Greenknight. I know you are all here to support until they can get things right.  The P.C have requested that the link road going through our garden be decoupled from the plan. Unless they withdraw the whole thing the council have plans to build a 5th link from the roundabout on the A465 which will mean double disruption. I may have said before that it was our Ward councillor suggestion that this road be built to improve the visibility on the junction.  I asked why cant they improve the junction - why waste so much rate payers money when there is a temporary solution.  Unless of course it can be thrown out altogether which was my hope yesterday - but not so sure today.

Sorry to keep repeating myself but I need to keep this in the limelight at this stage as the planning application is imminent.

Does anyone know if Liz Chave IOC stood for the ward in this election.  I haven't seen her name anywhere.

Cant believe the outcome. As has already been said, the situation this administration has inherited from themselves is a real mess with owing so much money and more cuts to come from the new Government.

After Jeans letter just a day before the election I had a little look at the Council website to see if any more "bad news" was being buried when we are all watching the election results and I see that a meeting was held about the Council Constitution just today http://councillors.herefordshire.gov.uk/mgWhatsNew.aspx?bcr=1 . (Have I done this link thing correctly? ) . Amazing that a meeting could be held when election results were being read out, who is really in charge?

I thought that the Council had agreed to review the Cabinet system because of the lack of transparency? Are we still stuck with this system?

Thanks James, I know I could have counted on your support as a councillor. I also know that you are totally against this ridiculous road and with the help of your partner you have a big voice there.  I am gutted that you did not get elected and totally shocked at the result all round. Don't be too disheartened - I can imagine how you feel having been a parish councillor for 25 yrs and not knowing which way the voters are going (if they go at all\0

Cant believe the outcome. As has already been said, the situation this administration has inherited from themselves is a real mess with owing so much money and more cuts to come from the new Government.

After Jeans letter just a day before the election I had a little look at the Council website to see if any more "bad news" was being buried when we are all watching the election results and I see that a meeting was held about the Council Constitution just today http://councillors.herefordshire.gov.uk/mgWhatsNew.aspx?bcr=1 . (Have I done this link thing correctly? ) . Amazing that a meeting could be held when election results were being read out, who is really in charge?

I thought that the Council had agreed to review the Cabinet system because of the lack of transparency? Are we still stuck with this system?

Had a Look at this "Council Constitution". Surely it must be for some fantasy Council?!  Respect, Excellence, Accountable, diverse, Listening, Protecting the environment??  I'd certainly like to hold them to account on all this!

"2.1.1 Vision

2.1.1.1 The council has a corporate plan that sets out its vision and priorities for the county and the measures used to show how far that vision has been met. The corporate plan also sets out how the council is performing against those aims and objectives and is reviewed annually.

2.1.2 Values

2.1.2.1 The council is committed to maintaining high standards of conduct by its staff and councillors and has adopted the following values that underpin its work:-

People: treating people fairly, with compassion, respect and dignity

Excellence: striving for excellence, and the appropriate quality of service, care and life in Herefordshire

Openness: being open, transparent and accountable

Partnership: working in partnership, and with all our diverse communities

Listening: actively listening to, understanding and taking into account people’s views and needs

Environment: protecting and promoting our outstanding natural environment and heritage for the benefit of all"

Hi, please excuse me as I've been to Gilbies to drown my sorrows and celebrate my partners success in winning Belmont.

I'm sorry I've let down people like Jean Harris but I was amazed 431 people took the time to think I was worth a vote. Unfortunately the sway of conservatism made a Huge difference in the local elections, I think I could of won if the Greens had'nt stood in my ward as they diluted it but hay ho, with my partner being the new councillor at Belmont I will be able to have a say in some things to her and I would like to say Thankyou to Adrain Bridges who had a disagreement with my partner Tracy yesterday but yet today apologised and said if there is any advice you need just knock on my door, that is much appreciated and takes a man to say it.

Just to give you an idea how bad the sway to conservatism was Mark Chester who was standing in belmont who never stepped foot in the ward and was a paper candidate came second, he was told firmly by Tracy about this and how disgusting it is not to try for the electorate. I'm gutted for my mate Dazza, Paul, Amanda and Jon stannard amongst others who are really good people and more in touch with the real world then the people the public elected.

We can beat the Torys but in all honesty the independents and the IOC need to get together and if there is a standing councillor there let them be, go one to one with the Torys and they wouldn't have no more than half a dozen seats, Hereford needs change and unfortunately it will be 4 years before that can happen but in the meantime the powers that be in the IOC need to to chat with the Independents and make changes in their strategy for the greater good.

Well done Jim good effort and nice words about Adrian Bridges too, good of him offer advice, he did not need to do that, I'm impressed to be fair. Tracy will make a great councillor and if I or anyone else can offer help, support or advice she knows where we all can be found. 4 years will soon pass.

Wow Cloudberry I hadn't read the documents - is this really Herefordshire Council? Who wrote "Openness: being open, transparent and accountable"? Has anyone been held accountable for the death of that poor woman at Dormington as she couldnt be seen for the height of the grass?

Jean Harris must like the other sentence "Environment: protecting and promoting our outstanding natural environment and heritage for the benefit of all " 

If I had been drinking it might make more sense but cold sober I wonder if I have slipped into some parallel universe!

Please people don't despair we are the electorate and we can fight every single shoddy underhand decision the cons will make. Their masters in government will be cutting the purse strings even more and there is no-one else to point the finger at.The IOC needs to to get organised, work better with the Independent brethren and make sure that every poor decision, financial irregularity or mismanagement is made public either through the Hereford Times, Hereford Voice or Hereford High Street.

LETS BE HONEST WITH ALL THE ISSUES COMING ..WOULD YOU WANT TO BE IN A CONSERVATIVE CHAIR.....

I hope they live in gated communities because if you thought its been bad just wait .....expecting a year on year significant council tax increases just for starters..

Good Luck everyone.

It made pretty painful reading to chart the descent from optimism to disbelief and utter dismay.  It should have been a good day for IOC and I just don't understand it either,   Dippy. 

gk you will never know how much difference your post made to my morale.   You're right.  This can't be the end.   We need to foster ties with all potential allies.  I personally don't care what colour rosette someone is wearing;  if they're fundamentally decent, I'm happy to talk to them.

It grieves me that people like Jean and Mike Harris had so much riding on these results and my IOC colleagues are now powerless to help them,  but we don't need to  stand by and watch a rout. We need to mobilise public opinion as much and as quickly as possible and  I think we need to turn to our MP for help now.  He has to get off the fence and decide where his loyalties are.  With this kind of mandate, the Cabinet are going to run amok - we haven't seen anything yet.  Jesse Norman is the only one who can limit the damage now.  We need to get his attention and ensure that he understands the full implications of what the Cabinet is planning.  

Weirdly on the subject of spoiled votes, I noticed a lot of mine had two crosses.  I'm reluctant to jump to any conclusions - surely our electoral system is trustworthy - but I can't help thinking about it.    I was a vote counter in the 2010 election and I can't remember seeing one ballot paper spoiled in this way.    There is something very odd about the Saxon Gate result.  

We need to mobilise public opinion as much and as quickly as possible and  I think we need to turn to our MP for help now.  He has to get off the fence and decide where his loyalties are.  With this kind of mandate, the Cabinet are going to run amok 

As I remember it public opinion was mobilised yesterday .... It was called a vote. The record of The Council was well known over various issues (you didn't need to be a total internet geek to be aware of various issues) but people put their local 'X' in the Tory box regardless. It was quite possibly more to do with the National Trend as opposed to giving a mandate to a particular candidate for a particularly good record or engaging leaflet that looked promising. And I think it's fairly safe to assume that various voters' will vote for the Tory Party regardless. I think people will have to live with what the Locals have voted for.

Weirdly on the subject of spoiled votes, I noticed a lot of mine had two crosses.  I'm reluctant to jump to any conclusions - surely our electoral system is trustworthy - but I can't help thinking about it.    I was a vote counter in the 2010 election and I can't remember seeing one ballot paper spoiled in this way.    There is something very odd about the Saxon Gate result.  

Where could any confusion have crept in from about voting was allowed for two candidates? It wouldn't be from an official source. It's been known for ages the new system was 53 seats with just one vote for each. As stated on the ballot paper. 400 of spoiled papers is a lot tho and it seems unlikely a protest vote would have been mobilised in those numbers. I suppose people on the Ward will have to enlighten us as to why this weird event has happened ... 

The information I am getting is that people were told that they needed to vote for two candidates.  No more details at the moment.  

It's inexplicable but IOC are a new party and not yet so established that everyone would have heard of us.  I spoke to many people at the launch of the manifesto who had not heard of us but who pledged their vote after our pitch.     I believe we lost five wards by less than twenty votes and in the end I lost by 23.    In these circumstances, any malfeasance needs to be investigated.  It's a very odd way of spoiling your paper.  Normally people will write a message or leave it blank, or mark the paper in a way that cannot be decisive in any candidate's favour.   

OK so some of my supporters thought they could vote for Polly AND me.  The questions is were they misled into thinking that?  

I need to check how many spoiled papers I had - if it was less than 23 it's irrelevant for me but could matter a good deal for my fellow candidates. 

I would just like to say that we have had some brilliant new posters during this election campaign. So I sincerely hope that you all will continue to keep on posting? because I think it's even more important now than it has ever been before,that we all remain vigilant to what this conservative administration are going to get up to over the next five years?

As we will need to be ready to scrutinise any decisions or project they have planned for the county....so the more of us there are to do so the better!

I am very tired and need to rest and chill. But come Monday will be back to my self again. Saxon Gate was a scandal, but as it was part of my former Ward, I will be doing what I can to ensure that a non Tory wins the by- election. I will leaflet, canvass and as a former councillor and Agent for elections, am prepared to act as Agent for the non Tory candidate!! But posters need to help!

It is now important that all of us, what ever our political leanings, dislikes, etc should be as one on this. I will give my forty years experience of elections to ensure that David is elected to the Saxon Gate Ward . So are you with me, and will you help with leafleting, canvassing and getting out there to ensure that a non Tory is elected?

The information I am getting is that people were told that they needed to vote for two candidates.  No more details at the moment.  

It's inexplicable but IOC are a new party and not yet so established that everyone would have heard of us.  I spoke to many people at the launch of the manifesto who had not heard of us but who pledged their vote after our pitch.     I believe we lost five wards by less than twenty votes and in the end I lost by 23.    In these circumstances, any malfeasance needs to be investigated.  It's a very odd way of spoiling your paper.  Normally people will write a message or leave it blank, or mark the paper in a way that cannot be decisive in any candidate's favour.

It just shows how important every vote is Amanda. Let's not forget what the young IOC was up against in the Conservative organisation,its structure,the tentacles that reach into religious,corporate and gentlemen's groups whether that be Masonic lodges,countryside alliance whatever. You know this of course but this old club has a pedigree,history and political experience to play the sharp game and play it well.

This was a good fight but the newbie lost based on experience it will be different next time.

Roger is right there are plenty of old voters who will park their cross in the same place and the conservatives are seen a warm security blanket. The danger of course is that this County continues to be a retirement centre for wudges of cash that will almost certainly consolidate the Tory position. I noted with interest that the presence of money has pushed into those beautiful areas in Wales..Brecon,Gower and the Vale of Glamorgan.

The IOC did a great job just need to be quicker on the feet dance around the old fighters punches and go for a knockout when the time is right. It might just be that defeat this time around may work in IOC,s favour.

Keep the faith Amanda this site and your energy is very much required.

I would just like to say that we have had some brilliant new posters during this election campaign. So I sincerely hope that you all will continue to keep on posting? because I think it's even more important now than it has ever been before,that we all remain vigilant to what this conservative administration are going to get up to over the next five years?

As we will need to be ready to scrutinise any decisions or project they have planned for the county....so the more of us there are to do so the better!

Bang on Cambo!

I am very tired and need to rest and chill. But come Monday will be back to my self again. Saxon Gate was a scandal, but as it was part of my former Ward, I will be doing what I can to ensure that a non Tory wins the by- election. I will leaflet, canvass and as a former councillor and Agent for elections, am prepared to act as Agent for the non Tory candidate!! But posters need to help!

It is now important that all of us, what ever our political leanings, dislikes, etc should be as one on this. I will give my forty years experience of elections to ensure that David is elected to the Saxon Gate Ward . So are you with me, and will you help with leafleting, canvassing and getting out there to ensure that a non Tory is elected?

Yes Chris

Chris definitely and thank you.   I think Herefordshire could be entering a period of crisis now and, when you look at the vote, on a fairly flimsy mandate.  Whatever the colour of our rosettes, all of us with the good of Herefordshire at heart should be talking about what we have in common.   

if it helps posters to understand I will tell you how the papers should of read, General election  just one vote for candidate local Herefordshire council one vote only Hereford city parish which is for South wye wards Redill, Newton Farm Hinton /Hunderton and Saxon Gate you could vote for two candidates, I understand in Saxon Gate the people put two votes for the Herefordshire council instead of the city parish which made them null &void.

Hi Jimbo.

Believe me, you haven't let anybody down.

I could not be prouder of you, Amanda and Dazza in particular. You three have so much to offer, one day the rest of Hereford will wake up and realise this.

Time to regroup, and move forward. Our time may not be now, but our time will come.

I firmly believe that.

Hello Glenda,

Thanks for taking the time to post, on what must be a dreadful evening. I so feel for you. You are right at the heart of the community you have served so well, and I'm so very shocked and disappointed by the result.

In months to come, I predict regret amongst many, who failed to put a cross against your name.

You should have the thanks of many, for all that you have done and achieved.

Glenda nice to hear from you! I am gutted you didn't get your seat. It was for me the biggest shock of the day! I can only think that the reason behind it is the recent split in the Wards. Please don't disappear on us keep blogging and sharing your knowledge.

Evening Amanda...... if there is any doubt about the validity of the result in Widemarsh.....it simply has to be challenged.

You were so very close. If there are any issues.....a by election must be called.