Duck Pond Clean Up Phase 2 Action Day

Colin James

Okay folks I have just had a discussion with Keith and we have agreed Sunday 19th November 0900-1400 for 'Phase 2'. 

We obviously need as much help again and we will see if we can encourage the scout/cubs etc to keep us refreshed with beverages again. The plan of actions is to clear some of the outstanding dead branches and bushes and to paint the fence! We will also continue to try and break the back of the duckweed and also erect two additional signs. I have got the funding for some Hammerite and I will make sure that we have a dozen of so paint brushes to make light work of the 75 metre length.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Duck Pond Phase 2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have had a bad setback from my fall 5 weeks ago.been in hospital since Wednesday having my lung drained of fluid.i can get my wife to drop the brushes off to you Sunday.she will have four yoing grandkids in tow and might stay and help for half hr..

No worries mate get well soon 

See you all bright and early 0900 :)

Please Please remember to bring some garden tools, rakes, loppers, shears etc..
We will be painting the fence, we have the paint and some brushes but please feel free to bring your own brushes and some black bags or dust sheets to place under the fence as we paint.

Finally, does anyone have a large Grab Bag they can bring? Like the one in the photo below, we had one last time and it would be really useful for putting the pond weed etc

Builders Grab Bag.jpg

See you all in the morning 

Hope that it all went well - apologies I am unable to participate , old age and a few problems prevents me .

Hope that the sausage rolls etc were as good as I think as they will be .

Well.done to the team put together by Colin and HV

Thank you to everyone the joined us today on phase 2 of this fantastic project, including Corden Smith, Ben, Sue, my mrs Beata and my son Joe and last but not least Jim Kenyon and his family who all mucked in to help. There were less people than last time nevertheless, another great effort by all who attended.

Huge thank you has to go to George from the Castle Hotel for again providing refreshments all day and for the fabulous hot sausage rolls.

Thank you to J Mart and Ann Marie for providing much needed items, such as paint brushes, sand paper etc and finally, thank you for the superb award winning burgers provided by the Beefy Boys! 

Thank you to Elliot and the team at vets4pets for sponsoring another 2 signs for the Duck Pond.

Thank you to Hereford City Council for paying for the paint and brushes :)

As you can see from the photographs, we have removed a few more large overhanging branches and cleared more of the bamboo which has now let a lot more light in and really opened the area. The pathway and bushes have been cut back and thinned out and the footpath has been cleared with lots of rubbish and mud recycled.

The fence has been painted as far around as the large tree. The remaining fence down the side of the grass still needs to be painted, so we are looking for volunteers to help complete this, maybe a few people with some spare time however, it may require one more mornings work for maybe a dozen or so people to complete this last section, hoping to get this completed as soon as possible. 

Fence Before 1.jpg

Fence before it was painted

Fence After 1.jpg

And after

Before Cleared.jpg

Before we cleared it all

After Cleared.jpg

After it was cleared

Fence Complete.jpg

After this section was painted.

Painting 1.jpg

Sue and Ann Marie

Painting 2.jpg

My better half Beata and my Son Joe

Painting 3.jpg

Everyone busy

Corden & Ben.jpg

Corden and Ben

CJ.jpg

Adding my bit 

Duck Pond 1.jpg

Me with Jim and his family

Beefy Boys.jpg

Massive thanks to George from the Castle Hotel and these wonderful award winning burgers from the Beefy Boys!

Footpath.jpg

Bushes thinned out and footpath clear again

Bags.jpg

Wood.jpg

We have left a nice neat pile for Balfour Beattie to collect in the morning.

Looks the part now. Well done chaps and chapesses. Just a few loose ends to finish it off. Ideally need to get the pump working again. Volunteers doing the jobs that we pay our LA taxes to cover.

Also great to see that both Herefordshire Council and Hereford City Council have appreciated and recognised all the time, effort and hard work that has been expended! *cough* I’m surprised that HT hasn’t picked up on this too.

What’s next Colin? 😂🙊ðŸ‘ðŸ»

Looks the part now. Well done chaps and chapesses. Just a few loose ends to finish it off. Ideally need to get the pump working again. Volunteers doing the jobs that we pay our LA taxes to cover.

Also great to see that both Herefordshire Council and Hereford City Council have appreciated and recognised all the time, effort and hard work that has been expended! *cough* I’m surprised that HT hasn’t picked up on this too.

What’s next Colin?

We need to complete the painting of the fence.

I have secured up to £5k from the Hereford City Council to purchase aeration pumps and possibly a fountain, just need to find the right product and see if we can get BB to install and maintain it all.

Then onto the next project, we have several in mind but the City Walls is a high priority, so pushing to get this put back on the agenda with the Councils

It was good to see you yesterday Colin, sorry I couldn't attend but as you could see I was on my way into work. Great effort from all involved, this is a fantastic project with instant improvements as your photographs show.