Duck Sign Has Disappeared?

Driving back into Hereford along Haywood Lane I noticed that one of the new duck signs has disappeared...

post-109-0-28431600-1366952774.jpg post-109-0-77555600-1366952802.jpg

The picture on the right I took yesterday. Can we have this replaced please?

Colin, having seen your post about the missing duck sign I have contacted highways within the past few minutes to replace the sign, also asking to see if they can find the original sign, and when replacing it to make sure it is more secure this time.

Colin, having seen your post about the missing duck sign I have contacted highways within the past few minutes to replace the sign, also asking to see if they can find the original sign, and when replacing it to make sure it is more secure this time.

Thank you :Thumbs-Up:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

At my request Amey officers went to Haywood Lane again this moring to look for missing duck sign. It was found that the post was not damaged, but the sign was not found, it is thought someone probably removed the sign as a souvenir because of its novelty factor. I have now asked for a replacement and have been given a works number 168813, I will check in the next few days of the progress of a replacement sign.

At my request Amey officers went to Haywood Lane again this moring to look for missing duck sign. It was found that the post was not damaged, but the sign was not found, it is thought someone probably removed the sign as a souvenir because of its novelty factor. I have now asked for a replacement and have been given a works number 168813, I will check in the next few days of the progress of a replacement sign.

Yes I noticed it had gone the other day when I drove passed. Keep up the good work Councillor Vaughan-Powell

• 1 month later...

Almost 3 months on and it has still not been replaced, drove past this afternoon

I received the following information at 9am this morning.

Good morning Cllr Vaughan-Powell

Thank you for your email- this was logged as works order number 168813 on our database and has been given a priority 3 status.

Amey is working with Herefordshire council in accordance with Highways Maintenance Plan for maintaining delivery. This requires us to risk assess service requests and prioritise work accordingly.

In some cases this will mean that previous advertised dates of completion of works will not be delivered as we must continue to respond to to service requests, to assess the risks and plan work accordingly.

We appreciate this may not be the desired outcome for individual requests, but we must manage the network across the county in a most efficient manner ensuring best use of resources.

James Powell
Service Co-ordinator / Local government
AMEY

I immediately rang Mr Powell asking for the timescale of priority 3 works, he said no specific time, I then pointed out that it had been over 3 months since my original requests and felt that was sufficient time for a priority 3 works to be carried out, he stated he would go away and see if he could move the request forward.

• 1 month later...

I received the following information at 9am this morning.

Thank you for your email- this was logged as works order number 168813 on our database and has been given a priority 3 status.

Amey is working with Herefordshire council in accordance with Highways Maintenance Plan for maintaining delivery. This requires us to risk assess service requests and prioritise work accordingly.

In some cases this will mean that previous advertised dates of completion of works will not be delivered as we must continue to respond to to service requests, to assess the risks and plan work accordingly.

We appreciate this may not be the desired outcome for individual requests, but we must manage the network across the county in a most efficient manner ensuring best use of resources.

James Powell
AMEY

I immediately rang Mr Powell asking for the timescale of priority 3 works, he said no specific time, I then pointed out that it had been over 3 months since my original requests and felt that was sufficient time for a priority 3 works to be carried out, he stated he would go away and see if he could move the request forward.

Sign has still not been replaced, another month has passed since your correspondence with Amey, so over 4 months now just to replace one little tiny sign.

I then pointed out that it had been over 3 months since my original requests and felt that was sufficient time for a priority 3 works to be carried out, he stated he would go away and see if he could move the request forward.

Am I mistaken or do Amey not work for you?

As a member of the council you outrank them right? You have given them the contract.

This could go on forever, are there any measures in place to hold Amey accountable for when they don't do the work they have been contracted to do?

My guess is that this won't be resolved and then the other guys will take over.

I think I speak for everyone hear when I say that Amey should be held accountable for not doing the work and/or not doing the work to a suitable standard. We want our money back

Surely Amey falls under the umbrella of trading standards? They are not providing the service for which we are paying and that they agreed to to a satisfactory level.,

Are Amey responsible for signage? When I rang Herfordshire Council regarding a missing sign on a public right of way I was told it was the Parish Council same response when I requested dog fouling signs. I was also told there was no money in the budget for signage. It would appear there's no money for very much in the budget! I spoke to a really nice lady but I must admit I was a bit rude but when I thought about it later I called back and apologized I can't seem to help losing my temper I feel really sorry for the guys answering the calls and I know they are only doing their jobs but I want clarity on who is responsible for what! It's very confusing and frustrating when you call customer services, and sometimes you wait ages for them to answer only to be directed elsewhere and the web site is a total joke the search engine returns the most ridiculous results and I've lost track of how many times it crashes! I've given up reporting things.

The council is responsible for signage work is then passed onto their contractor which at the moment is Amey. I have spoken on Friday to Amey about the duck sign giving them the works number I was issued stating it is 4 months since that was issued and the sign has not been replaced, I was told Mr Powell on leave but someone would come back to me, but they didn't so I will be ringing up again on Tuesday morning.

The council is responsible for signage work is then passed onto their contractor which at the moment is Amey. I have spoken on Friday to Amey about the duck sign giving them the works number I was issued stating it is 4 months since that was issued and the sign has not been replaced, I was told Mr Powell on leave but someone would come back to me, but they didn't so I will be ringing up again on Tuesday morning.

Seriously, there must be some kind of reimbursement for services not provided?

Seriously, there must be some kind of reimbursement for services not provided?

It is slightly laughable when it take Hereford's main contractor over 4 months to replace a warning sign, especially once a councillor has been involved, you would think that would somehow prioritise the work.

It is slightly laughable when it take Hereford's main contractor over 4 months to replace a warning sign, especially once a councillor has been involved, you would think that would somehow prioritise the work.

Indeed, I really don't understand how the council can sign contracts with nothing in place for shoddy or lack of work on the part of the contractor. It's business studies 101. Really, do the members of the council just decide one day do leave their job flipping burgers or stacking shelves and "have a go" and running a city?

I'm sure if they hired in a plumber to fit their new bathroom and they did a bad job, took 6 months to fit a bath panel or didn't turn up at all... that they would be demanding their money back - and well within their rights under Trading Standards. Where's the ombudsman for councils?

I've said it many times, if the council was run as a business, it would have been written off years ago. Run it like a business NOT as a "pot of make it up as you go along."

It really is infuriating that they lack such basic common sense in so many matters.

Having spoken to Mr Powell from Amey this morning he advised that Balfour Beatty is taking over on

1st September and they do not know what their budget will be for signage, to which I replied that the work was reported by me 4 months ago and it has not been resolved, they had plenty of time to carryout this work. So as soon as Balfour Beatty takes over I will be contacting them about the sign.

Having spoken to Mr Powell from Amey this morning he advised that Balfour Beatty is taking over on

1st September and they do not know what their budget will be for signage, to which I replied that the work was reported by me 4 months ago and it has not been resolved, they had plenty of time to carryout this work. So as soon as Balfour Beatty takes over I will be contacting them about the sign.

That's an unacceptable response from Amey in my opinion, so basically this letter that he sent to you back in July;

James Powell

AMEY

Was to just fob you off! Because clearly they have done NOTHING! That's even more evident is his reply to you today, oh it's a 'Balfour Beatty' problem now, what's the betting they will not recognise Amey's work reference numbers or something stupid! :Angry: So when you contact them again Councillor in September it will probably take another month, so half a year to replace one little duck warning sign, I have no words... :Thumbs-Down:

• 1 month later...

Just to advise you the duck sign has finally arrived. But if you visit the site Balfour has put it on a new post and behind a bush.

I have raised this again with Balfour and asked them to move to the original place and at a height so motorists can see this.

As a Ward Councillor I cannot understand why they did not use the original post,.

Just to advise you the duck sign has finally arrived. But if you visit the site Balfour has put it on a new post and behind a bush.

I have raised this again with Balfour and asked them to move to the original place and at a height so motorists can see this.

As a Ward Councillor I cannot understand why they did not use the original post,.

Thank you for the update Adrian, I am surprised how long it took to replace a simple duck sign, I understand there was a change over from Amey to BB but even so it has taken 6 months! Now that's the scary part.  :Hmm: