Plans for New Pub on Widemarsh Common Hereford

Colin James

Online plans have been submitted to Herefordshire Council to build a pub on the site of the former Sportsman pub on Widemarsh Common Hereford. 

Planning application number : P162165/O and details can be found here

ProposedPlans.jpg

I hope this project gets the green light, it would make a refreshing change to having a pub opening rather than closing.

Poorly presented with scant information, insufficient to have even been registered, but the Council seem to be keen to grab every pound from application fees, no matter how badly put together the applications are. There is a significant objection from the Highways Authority - this section of the A49 (T) has three times the national average rate of accidents - adding an access for such a use could well increase this further. They have asked for more data and information from the applicant.

Access to and from Grandstand Road,also access from onto Newtown Road.

​Lads Club never had any issues,it also has a drinks licence.

And why would someone want to build a pub right next to the lads club?

Well to be fair the original pub was there long before the lads club. I personally like the idea of a new pub for Hereford. 

I enjoy cycling the Great Western Way and the access to this large car park seems to go across the new cycle route which then links to the lighted crossing point to go up to Holmer. Surely this site would be better used as social or older people's housing as then there might be enough people to use a pub in the area and it is easy walking into Hereford. Why build a new one when the Heart of Oak has recently closed, and the area has another pub along Grandstand road (well I think it is a pub I have never ventured in there!). 

Access to and from Grandstand Road,also access from onto Newtown Road.

​Lads Club never had any issues,it also has a drinks licence.

And why would someone want to build a pub right next to the lads club?

The access to the pub site is only legally onto Newtown road and it is dangerous. The access to the front of the Lads Club is private - owned by the Council - the former pub had a licence to use it

With the old "Sportsman" pub demolished, I have often wondered why the redundant A49 bridge over the railway has not been removed (see it in map above), as it would be an opportunity to widen the A49 a bit there (which would help cyclists a lot) and improve general visibility.

The bridge has been kept I believe because the rail line provides access to Bulmers, the power station and possibly Cargill.

​If only they could be encouraged to open it up again

Or - the cycleway could be extended north to Burcott Road

I enjoy cycling the Great Western Way and the access to this large car park seems to go across the new cycle route which then links to the lighted crossing point to go up to Holmer. Surely this site would be better used as social or older people's housing as then there might be enough people to use a pub in the area and it is easy walking into Hereford. Why build a new one when the Heart of Oak has recently closed, and the area has another pub along Grandstand road (well I think it is a pub I have never ventured in there!). 

In fairness the pub was there hundreds of years before any cycle path, that said, a road can accommodate both. Regardless of whether or not the Heart of Oak has closed recently (which is news to me) it is down to how people perceive that particular pub, even before the Starting Gate at the top of Holmer extended the hotel into a Premier Inn it was always busy, the same as the Grandstand that is also very busy, so a new pub might be just what this area needs! I wish them well in their application and hope a decent pub offering food and an area for kids opens in the future. 

So your telling us that you would object to a new pub offering employment and another place for local people to visit on the grounds that a single carriageway road would cross over a tiny section of your sacred cycle path? Behave! 

Well to be fair the original pub was there long before the lads club. I personally like the idea of a new pub for Hereford. 

I am in favour of a new pub too, this would make a real change to having pubs closing down. Funny though, as soon as a pub closure is announced 90% of people will say "oh no this is such a shame" yet now plans have been submitted for a new build pub we are not hearing those same cries.  :Thumbs-Down:

The access to the pub site is only legally onto Newtown road and it is dangerous. The access to the front of the Lads Club is private - owned by the Council - the former pub had a licence to use it

Council don't own it,it's public land that they maintained until it was handed over to the Lads club for £1 a year.

​

Is that the same Darren Sockett who was suppose to be sorting out the butter market as of which nothing have been done?

Yes. As far as I am aware, he eventually failed to complete on the deal a couple of months ago - although you'd be hard pressed to know that from the Council - and the jewel in the crown continues it's slow decline.

Yes. As far as I am aware, he eventually failed to complete on the deal a couple of months ago - although you'd be hard pressed to know that from the Council - and the jewel in the crown continues it's slow decline.

A shame really, it would be nice to get the butter market into a decent state that people want to go in there.

As for a need for a new pub, with pubs closing it would be a good idea to get those pubs back up and running first.

Yes.

Cheers. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am in favour of a new pub too, this would make a real change to having pubs closing down. Funny though, as soon as a pub closure is announced 90% of people will say "oh no this is such a shame" yet now plans have been submitted for a new build pub we are not hearing those same cries.  :Thumbs-Down:

I agree and I support the idea of a new pub.  :Thumbs-Up:

I think, in reality, most people would agree to the idea of a new pub, but as the nearby Heart Of Oak closed due to lack of custom, the Lads club has it's own client base, and there is the Golden Lion (shudder) the Starting Gate and the Grandstand all reasnonbly close by, who is going to keep it going?

For it to remain viable it would need to offer something different to what we already have in the city. The Hungry Horse is good cheap food, The Starting Gate is a Beefeater, we have a few local places doing a carvery as well. Personally I would like to see a Toby Carvery there - yes it's another chain type franchise -  but, they do a damn good meal for the price, especially when you can bung on as much veg as you like :)