Herefordshire Council Elections 2015

dippyhippy

Welcome to you, Seb.

There are so many threads, covering so many subjects on Hereford Voice, it's a job to know where to begin!

One thing, even if you are not elected, this is still a great place to be a regular visitor. If you, like many of us bloggers, care about this community,you'll find plenty to get your teeth stuck into on a regular basis!

I've had leaflets from Lucy Hurds, Lib Dem, and Anna Coda, Labour.

Sadly..... no knock at the door! My list of questions, stuck to the back of my front door for the past month, remain unasked and unanswered by prospective MP's., as well as councillors......

Brian Wilcox has just been leafleting my street again today. He's obviously trying to shake it up a bit as he went around the cul-de-sac in a clockwise direction as opposed to anti clockwise last time. Still couldn't find my doorbell tho ...  :tongue_32:

I think I have now recieved the full hand of canvassing leaflets some of which have even been posted to me.  Would somebody like to enlighten to me and tell me how all this is funded.

I know the Indies fund themselves but I think the rest are reliant on donations.  If this is the case is there a list of donations available for public viewing?

Denise,

Parliamentary candidates get the chance to use 'free post' through Royal Mail. Their literature has to comply with certain rules, size of envelope or addressed etc. hThis is not the case with council elections where there is no free post and parliament candidates can only have one leaflet delivered free.

Apart from Independents, all other candidates, belonging to political parties, are likely to have sponsorship either from private individuals who hope to get something from the party they sponsor, or from a national political party, or perhaps from a trade union.

There is no such thing as a free lunch!

Denise,

Parliamentary candidates get the chance to use 'free post' through Royal Mail. Their literature has to comply with certain rules, size of envelope or addressed etc. hThis is not the case with council elections where there is no free post and parliament candidates can only have one leaflet delivered free.

Apart from Independents, all other candidates, belonging to political parties, are likely to have sponsorship either from private individuals who hope to get something from the party they sponsor, or from a national political party, or perhaps from a trade union.

There is no such thing as a free lunch!

Hello chris can you tell me if a organisation,company or individual made a donation to a political party would those parties then have to declare who those donors are how much they gave & where they come from?…also would that information be in the public domain??

Hi Cambo

Every Parliamentary and council candidate, parish and Unitary, will have to declare to the ERO the amount spent on their election. This includes all leaflet,posters and hireling of rooms for meetings. It includes offices hired especially for organising the campaign and includes, but this can come under miscellaneous, postage phone calls and petrol.

The names of all those who gave the candidate in part or whole lily money or property, be it a building or a car for example, has to be declared. Receipts have to go in with the electoral return by Friday 12th June. They are open for public challenge a few weeks later when ERO has scrutinized and remain open for the life time of Council. All Councillors will need in their declaration of interest before they can take their seat, all their sponsors etc.

Hi Cambo

Every Parliamentary and council candidate, parish and Unitary, will have to declare to the ERO the amount spent on their election. This includes all leaflet,posters and hireling of rooms for meetings. It includes offices hired especially for organising the campaign and includes, but this can come under miscellaneous, postage phone calls and petrol.

The names of all those who gave the candidate in part or whole lily money or property, be it a building or a car for example, has to be declared. Receipts have to go in with the electoral return by Friday 12th June. They are open for public challenge a few weeks later when ERO has scrutinized and remain open for the life time of Council. All Councillors will need in their declaration of interest before they can take their seat, all their sponsors etc.

...sums spent on baking, sprinkling with sugar, ferrying, delivering chocolate muffins?

An important omission shurely?

Hi Cambo

Hi chris thanks for explaining it's very much appreciated.

Hi Cambo

Hi chris thanks for explaining, it's very much appreciated.

I know nothing about the cakes of Jesse Norman. It does't sound to me that Jesse has done anything that warrants any more than a slap on the wrist.

Election law is very clear about what you can give/do during an election period. Anything that might be seen as buying a vote is not allowed.

For example, you can call me mean if you wish, but I will not be buying anyone from my Ward a beer in the Vaga or anywhere else until after the election. Nor will I accept one! Election law is very strong on this. ' in the publics view you must not be seen to be in any way buying a vote or putting yourself in a position to be beholden to someone who may be voting for you'.

I hold a Diploma in Election Law and have been fighting election campaigns for forty years. It is always unwise for a candidate to do anything that might be misconstrued.

Other than Independents, who normally are their own Agents, most Party candidates have an election agent who in law is responsible for the actions and words of the candidate and candidates supporters. It's an agents nightmare when a candidate or supporter goes off and does something that might bring the law down on them. Heavy fines or imprisonment awaits for the most serious breach of election law!

I know nothing about the cakes of Jesse Norman. It does't sound to me that Jesse has done anything that warrants any more than a slap on the wrist.

Election law is very clear about what you can give/do during an election period. Anything that might be seen as buying a vote is not allowed.

For example, you can call me mean if you wish, but I will not be buying anyone from my Ward a beer in the Vaga or anywhere else until after the election. Nor will I accept one! Election law is very strong on this. ' in the publics view you must not be seen to be in any way buying a vote or putting yourself in a position to be beholden to someone who may be voting for you'.

I hold a Diploma in Election Law and have been fighting election campaigns for forty years. It is always unwise for a candidate to do anything that might be misconstrued.

Other than Independents, who normally are their own Agents, most Party candidates have an election agent who in law is responsible for the actions and words of the candidate and candidates supporters. It's an agents nightmare when a candidate or supporter goes off and does something that might bring the law down on them. Heavy fines or imprisonment awaits for the most serious breach of election law!

I was going to buy you a pint and a curry this week too.

stag-activities-curry-and-a-pint.jpg

:Winky: I won't offer again ha ha,  seriously though, good luck with your campaign Chris, keep up all the good work that you do.

Having read a lot of IOC stuff over the last few days I am still not absolutely clear on their Housing Policy.  

Paul Andrews rung my doorbell today in The College Ward where he's standing for IOC. Seems a nice enough chap ...

I forgot to ask the Housing question but as far as he's concerned he wants an end to The Council selling assets. More local to his ward he wants a 20 MPH speed limit in the area without humps. Not sure myself that is worth doing as I'm not aware of an existing speed problem ... 

I don't like posting directly after my own post but Roger Goodwin and Paul Andrews (candidates for College Ward) have registered on this forum in the last few days and are viewing content .... No posts from either yet! But this forum is obviously hitting the political radar! Which I think is good! 

It's great to see some of our perspective cllr's elect such as Amanda,jimbo,Seb& daszzo333 to name but a few engaging with us folks on the voice…

long may it continue especially after the elections whether or not they do get elected?