Use Trams On Great Western Way

As Colin mentioned on the radio we are some way off a bypass solution.The fact that a lot of the potential infrastructure for this project is present has to be a positive and I can't see why it could be extended to form part of a station,hospital,uni hub.

The sooner we can get stuck into a feasibility study the better in my book. I can't remember what the problems were for the Edinburgh system which for a while hit the buffers however it's up and running now and generally wee received.

I am all in favour of a study into the viability.

However in an ideal world the section running north from the Bulmers access gate at Widemarsh Common would be better utilised for its original purpose which was transporting cider by rail. That would get rid of some lorries on the roads. Of course if you can run a tram on or next to the railway then so much the better.

If Bulmers can be persuaded then also perhaps so could Cargill - that is if they stay given IOC's "veiled" opposition to intensive farming systems :Winky: :Winky: :Winky:

Colin I think the tram ideas a good one if integrated with park & ride with an intersection going by the courtyard & down blackfriars street passing by the OLM poss carrying on through to widemarsh street & into the old city terminating by the imperial?

As we people are lazy! we like to get as close to our destination as we can this would also maybe encourage us to get out of using our vehicles if we do not have so far to walk to get to it?!…just a thought.

Colin I think the tram ideas a good one if integrated with park & ride with an intersection going by the courtyard & down blackfriars street passing by the OLM poss carrying on through to widemarsh street & into the old city terminating by the imperial?

As we people are lazy! we like to get as close to our destination as we can this would also maybe encourage us to get out of using our vehicles if we do not have so far to walk to get to it?!…just a thought.

Good thought but going into town would have to be a separate project to this one. This idea stems from being able to possibly use/accommodate the old railways lines (GWW) initially, if we can get this project live then we can look at all the other alternatives but right now, I think we need to keep this one line as our goal, thus keeping it as simple as possible otherwise it will all become too complicated and people will loose interest. 

Wow Amanda you "loathe" Cargill. Well done!

Now I don't eat their products but I recognise the long standing contribution they make to the economy of the County and also acknowledge the problems that often arise

I hope you are making your loathing clear in your election publicity?

As the factory is in your ward and assuming you are elected I would like to be a fly on the wall when they ask you for a meeting on an issue that affects them. What do you say - "I loath you and that's it"?

How far does your loathing go - close the factory and all the poultry farms?

Sorry Colin - I know it should be on a different thread

Good thought but going into town would have to be a separate project to this one. This idea stems from being able to possibly use/accommodate the old railways lines (GWW) initially, if we can get this project live then we can look at all the other alternatives but right now, I think we need to keep this one line as our goal, thus keeping it as simple as possible otherwise it will all become too complicated and people will loose interest.

Fair point Colin let's get this one a green light & then it can be full steam head for extending it.

I am all in favour of a study into the viability.

However in an ideal world the section running north from the Bulmers access gate at Widemarsh Common would be better utilised for its original purpose which was transporting cider by rail. That would get rid of some lorries on the roads. Of course if you can run a tram on or next to the railway then so much the better.

If Bulmers can be persuaded then also perhaps so could Cargill - that is if they stay given IOC's "veiled" opposition to intensive farming systems :Winky: :Winky: :Winky:

I went to West Bromwich a couple of years ago & you got off the train & then onto a tram the lines run parallel so I don't see why this could not be the case with a tram system in Hereford?

Sustainable transport an excellent initiative for moving people.

From my experience working in the transport industry is for a feasibility study to look at the likely usage and costs to bring this to reality and the routes as it would need to connect key employment areas to key housing areas, so places like Rotherwas and linking the City would be a must, plus the frequency of the service as to make it viable and attract a good patronage.

If then the business case stacks up it would more than likely attract central Government Funding through a sustainable transport grant like other tram routes that have been built recently in the UK.

Sustainable transport an excellent initiative for moving people.

From my experience working in the transport industry is for a feasibility study to look at the likely usage and costs to bring this to reality and the routes as it would need to connect key employment areas to key housing areas, so places like Rotherwas and linking the City would be a must, plus the frequency of the service as to make it viable and attract a good patronage.

If then the business case stacks up it would more than likely attract central Government Funding through a sustainable transport grant like other tram routes that have been built recently in the UK.

Good to see that you also support this idea Adrian, a feasibility study is a must. The support for this has been overwhelming if you read the comments on both HV and the HV Facebook Page.  Its good to see you back on the forum too.  :Thumbs-Up:

Wow Amanda you "loathe" Cargill. Well done!

Now I don't eat their products but I recognise the long standing contribution they make to the economy of the County and also acknowledge the problems that often arise

I hope you are making your loathing clear in your election publicity?

As the factory is in your ward and assuming you are elected I would like to be a fly on the wall when they ask you for a meeting on an issue that affects them. What do you say - "I loath you and that's it"?

How far does your loathing go - close the factory and all the poultry farms?

Sorry Colin - I know it should be on a different thread

Just to stay off-topic for a moment:  Cargill Meat Solutions' business practices are morally repugnant and have no place in a civilised society. Its profits are built on exploitation and suffering and that makes it unacceptable, however much money it generates.   I'm quite open about this and if people don't like my principles they don't have to vote for me.  

Colin and Hereford Voicers, just to let you know that at our last Exec meeting before shutdown for the elections It's Our County agreed to make a exploring the viability of a tram across the Great Western Way a policy commitment. If elected as the administration in May we will be looking at this.

If anyone thinks this is a shameless piece of electioneering, you're right.

It is obvious from the sheer numbers and variety of responses from all corners that this idea has huge support. We would be fools not to commit to exploring making it a reality. It ties in with our sustainable 21st Century transport ideas and our preference for better alternatives to more tarmac and more housing estates to pay for it. We will encourage Hereford to grow organically and tram is an excellent transport solution to help support that.

So, yes, we are shamelessly jumping on the tramwagon.

The difference between us and some well meaning Independents is we have the capability to implement our policies.

Well done Colin for taking this fully into the public's eyeline. This is a great idea, could work and should have been trialled years ago. The fact that it hasn't is another damming indictment of the lack of intelligent and open minded Councils we've had to suffer under for the last decade plus.

Colin and Hereford Voicers, just to let you know that at our last Exec meeting before shutdown for the elections It's Our County agreed to make a exploring the viability of a tram across the Great Western Way a policy commitment. If elected as the administration in May we will be looking at this.

If anyone thinks this is a shameless piece of electioneering, you're right.

It is obvious from the sheer numbers and variety of responses from all corners that this idea has huge support. We would be fools not to commit to exploring making it a reality. It ties in with our sustainable 21st Century transport ideas and our preference for better alternatives to more tarmac and more housing estates to pay for it. We will encourage Hereford to grow organically and tram is an excellent transport solution to help support that.

So, yes, we are shamelessly jumping on the tramwagon.

The difference between us and some well meaning Independents is we have the capability to implement our policies.

Well done Colin for taking this fully into the public's eyeline. This is a great idea, could work and should have been trialled years ago. The fact that it hasn't is another damming indictment of the lack of intelligent and open minded Councils we've had to suffer under for the last decade plus.

Thanks John and I am pleased that IOC are supporting this idea and will be exploring the viability of a tram across the Great Western Way a policy commitment.

• 2 weeks later...

Bikes on trams trial in Edinburgh, what a great idea, see the most simple of ideas some councils put into practice. Article here

During the month of May, cyclists will be able to bring their bikes on board Edinburgh Trams as part of a cycle access trial.

Folded and unfolded pedal bikes will be allowed on board during off peak hours as part of the trial which has been supported by The City of Edinburgh Council and city cycling groups.

Transport Convener, Councillor Lesley Hinds, said:

How brilliant is this place

https://youtu.be/Bx0-xpLwQrM

• 2 weeks later...

IOC and Hereford Transport Forum  don't want this to sink without trace. 

People will have noticed the campaign stuff starting to ramp up now that we can't progress things politically for the time being.   There will be some public meetings coming up at which people can come and hear and talk about transport stuff,  the Southern Relief Road, bypass, throw tomatoes that sort of thing, so watch this space.   Should be lively!  We're looking into  booking the Kindle Centre before the closing date for objections to the SLR in 21 days time - it's now on the Council's website apparently.  

IN place of the various roads and acres of housing, we're pushing a more incremental and thoughtful agenda which  would include looking at  this LRT proposal - be good if Colin would come and speak.   It's relevant because, if the SLR is built, it will directly affect (quite seriously) the traffic problems on Belmont Road - see Table 13 of Parsons Brinckerhoff's report.  

http://councillors.herefordshire.gov.uk/documents/s50021852/Appedix%201%20-%20South%20Wye%20Transport%20Package%20Preferred%20Option%20Report%20Final%20Low%20RES.pdf