Use Trams On Great Western Way

A very good and positive idea, lets hope that the next council get behind this project, could give Hereford the boost that the city needs and some serious relief from the roads coming in south of the river. This could be linked to Rotherwas without too much effort I would imagine but I really like the idea of a modern tram system in Hereford. Seeing the photographs brings back some memories too  :Happy_32:

A couple of years ago @ Belmont fete I had a discussion with Jesse Norman,he mention to me about having a tram system along the GWW…so maybe he would be worth approaching Colin? as I'm sure he'd get behind it?…but I guess until we have the election we won't know who is going to be MP although I would expect it to be Jesse Norman?…but it might be worth approaching all those running in the election for MP to get there support?

A couple of years ago @ Belmont fete I had a discussion with Jesse Norman,he mention to me about having a tram system along the GWW…so maybe he would be worth approaching Colin? as I'm sure he'd get behind it?…but I guess until we have the election we won't know who is going to be MP although I would expect it to be Jesse Norman?…but it might be worth approaching all those running in the election for MP to get there support?

Yes I have already discussed it briefly, so after the election I will be on the case with a few others too I hope.  :Winky:

If the tram idea fails, I have an alternative  :tongue_32:

VW Tram.jpg

Hilversum, November 19, 2011. A special vehicle on the passing on track 4. This is the only existing railcar based on the Volkswagen T1 diesel, known splitbus. Recently, this prototype found in Germany in 1965 and completely restored to its original condition. Photo Henk Koster.

Goodman!

The more people in support of this idea that we can get behind this project the more chance we have of making it a reality. Please all share with your Facebook and Twitter friends and any other social media you may use, all the links are at the bottom of each topic, so its simple to share!  Lets all start talking about this idea with our friends, family and neighbours. I will also be writing to the HT to see if they will publish our campaign. If anyone else has any suggestions on how to promote the idea please add your comments and idea's. 

The Hereford Times wrote a brief article on this idea in 2011, but there was hardly any response to it then. Here you have momentum, lots of people for it, of course there will be doubters and problems to over come but all these can be sorted. In the one proposed route the tram or metro rail system used the GWW then joined up with the existing rail network, if this was possible then you virtually have a full circle which would link Rotherwas up with this metro system.

Perhaps a good place to Start would be ask Bulmers, who still own their bit of rail, to give permission for an exhibition of possible trams! May be a mad idea but if we are able to show the public what the possibilities are it is likely to get more support. Bulmers might also become a sponsor!

That is not a bad idea at all Chris, I am currently looking at various ways to promote this idea, so some sort of exhibition would be a good start for sure.

Perhaps a good place to Start would be ask Bulmers, who still own their bit of rail, to give permission for an exhibition of possible trams! May be a mad idea but if we are able to show the public what the possibilities are it is likely to get more support. Bulmers might also become a sponsor!

Its really great to see all your Councillors behind this idea, this is one of the most positive topics for a long time. Good idea Cllr Chappell, I like the exhibition thought.

Thank you for adding even more photographs of the route today Colin, you must of walked a few miles in total, think of all that exercise you have done, all for a great cause too. 

Here is a sticking point Colin.You would never get planning to go past these flats this close

I have already addressed that in this post. They could possibly use some of the land on the left, (telephone exchange) its wider than you think, or you could divert to the left before the bridge still using some of that land on the left, failing that, you go right and come in from the other side. (I can't believe they actually gave permission to build these flats in the first instance to be honest.) which would bring you down parallel with the Railway Club.

There are bound to be a few hurdles along the way, like with any project, but 90% of this infrastructure is already there but if they can knock down half of Hereford town centre for a relief road, this is very simple in comparison.  

I have already addressed that in this post. They could possibly use some of the land on the left, (telephone exchange) its wider than you think, or you could divert to the left before the bridge still using some of that land on the left, failing that, you go right and come in from the other side. (I can't believe they actually gave permission to build these flats in the first instance to be honest.) which would bring you down parallel with the Railway Club.

There are bound to be a few hurdles along the way, like with any project, but 90% of this infrastructure is already there but if they can knock down half of Hereford town centre for a relief road, this is very simple in comparison.  

I agree with Colin, most of the infrastructure is in place already, of course it will need adjusting but this can be done quite easily in my opinion. I am shocked that half of these old tracks are still there and hidden away for all these years without anyone coming up with such a simple plan as this one. I never knew any of it was still there until this topic was created. 

This is a nice refreshing project and I am in full support. We would need to look at costs obviously but I think if your going to do it then lets do it properly! Don't mess around with little people cars a proper tram system is what is required, it works in cities all across Europe big and small and there is no reason why it could not work here. This council is spending millions on new offices and so called relief roads, this would be a fraction of any of those costs and a massive benefit to the city. Modern trams like the ones in the photographs at the start of this debate are very eco friendly and silent too. They are made with lightweight materials but can also carry mobility scooters in the back carriage giving easy access for disabled people too. I am pleased to see such a positive response, lets keep it that way and get this off the ground. I like Cllr. Chappell's idea of approaching Bulmers as sponsors and the exhibition idea is sensible one too. 

These trams come in lots of shapes and sizes;

attachicon.gifTramHFD2.jpg

attachicon.giftram.jpg

attachicon.gifTramHFD3.jpg

attachicon.gifTramHFD5.jpg

The last tram is these photo's is not too big and I have seen some a little smaller too, but non of these are massive in size to be fair, something modern with advertising wraps would be good if it helps towards costs. Trams are a very cost effective form of transport and are becoming more and more popular as traffic congestion continues to grow.

This is a nice refreshing project and I am in full support. We would need to look at costs obviously but I think if your going to do it then lets do it properly! Don't mess around with little people cars a proper tram system is what is required, it works in cities all across Europe big and small and there is no reason why it could not work here. This council is spending millions on new offices and so called relief roads, this would be a fraction of any of those costs and a massive benefit to the city. Modern trams like the ones in the photographs at the start of this debate are very eco friendly and silent too. They are made with lightweight materials but can also carry mobility scooters in the back carriage giving easy access for disabled people too. I am pleased to see such a positive response, lets keep it that way and get this off the ground. I like Cllr. Chappell's idea of approaching Bulmers as sponsors and the exhibition idea is sensible one too. 

I am with Victor on this one, if this eventually gets the go ahead then let's have a proper system and not some half hearted cheap shed on wheels alternative. It does not look like Hereford is going to get a bypass anytime in the next 10 years or more so at least this idea would help take a lot of the traffic from the roads. 

Despite my own personal feelings about the "University of Hereford" it might be worth sending them a link.  I rather suspect they have quite a bit of influence over the goings on in Hereford.

But you do need to patent your idea Colin you wouldn't want others jumping on your bandwagon and claiming the glory!

Despite my own personal feelings about the "University of Hereford" it might be worth sending them a link.  I rather suspect they have quite a bit of influence over the goings on in Hereford.

But you do need to patent your idea Colin you wouldn't want others jumping on your bandwagon and claiming the glory!

Good points Denise ..if it did get off the ground we all know where it started.

We need to get this project right from the start, a modern eco friendly tram system for Hereford. I have just been reading this interesting article this could be another good option.

attachicon.gifBombardier.jpg

If the council of the past had its way and we even got the go ahead we will end up with golf buggies :Hmm: I am in favour of this idea and I like the suggestion of approaching sponsors. We need a modern tram system in Hereford that will last for years to come and not some cheap mini bus attempt at saving money. This council has wasted far too much money on projects that a lot of local people did not want, this could be a very good cost effective way of reducing congestion on the roads of Hereford, its a win win in my opinion.

It is lovely to see such positivity about a good idea, not seen anyone knock it yet, I'm sure you will get a few but this is nice to see.

This is interesting, thanks for the link. I totally agree with having a 'Proper Modern Tram System' I appreciate there will be costs, of course, but I am sure we could get a government grant and or possibly Lottery funding too. We need a system that is green and eco friendly, a tram that will last for years and something Herefordians and the people of Hereford can be proud of. 

Two things have occurred to me: as Amanda Martin mentioned earlier, first thing needed is a feasibility study. Without that there is no funding from Government, Lottery or anyone else. Project would be non starter. I have not looked at the Council's Constitution yet, having a lazy day before campaigning again tomorrow, but it may be possible to use any monies left over from the £125K that the Independents got from the Tory Budget for feasibility study for rail link into Rotherwas, to use for the Tram feasibility study! I think it would need a Notice of Motion to make an amendment to the original agreement for the use of the £125K. There was an understanding that any underspending would go back into the budget for rural transport, buses. Could not happen until July meeting of Council but if there are enough of us prepared to support this N o M it might be a goer. I am certainly prepared to lay the Motion before Council, should not be difficult to get seconded. What do others think?

The other thought I had was there is still a great deal of rail line laid a the Morton on Lugg industrial site plus a sidings shed, which might be useable, at cost, for tram lines. Not been used by trains for years. Just a thought.

Happy Easter.

Two things have occurred to me: as Amanda Martin mentioned earlier, first thing needed is a feasibility study. Without that there is no funding from Government, Lottery or anyone else. Project would be non starter. I have not looked at the Council's Constitution yet, having a lazy day before campaigning again tomorrow, but it may be possible to use any monies left over from the £125K that the Independents got from the Tory Budget for feasibility study for rail link into Rotherwas, to use for the Tram feasibility study! I think it would need a Notice of Motion to make an amendment to the original agreement for the use of the £125K. There was an understanding that any underspending would go back into the budget for rural transport, buses. Could not happen until July meeting of Council but if there are enough of us prepared to support this N o M it might be a goer. I am certainly prepared to lay the Motion before Council, should not be difficult to get seconded. What do others think?

The other thought I had was there is still a great deal of rail line laid a the Morton on Lugg industrial site plus a sidings shed, which might be useable, at cost, for tram lines. Not been used by trains for years. Just a thought.

Happy Easter.

Yes this all makes complete sense Chris and if we could use some of that money for a feasibility study that would brilliant. I think trams use different rails but again that is something that could be looked at. Thank you for your input it is crucial that we have as many Councillors backing this project as possible so your positive response to this is really appreciated and not unnoticed.  :Happy_32:

Happy Easter.

I might be wrong Chris but I think there is a chap that has an old "British Railways" shunter that he starts up and moves along the track there occasionally. Whether he owns the track I can't say! Some men have "n" gauge in the loft whilst others need a bigger scale!

Happy Easter.

Good positive reply Chris and all achievable, Happy Easter!! 

Here are some of the comments the have been posted on our Facebook Page.

Sophie Powell Perfect idea!

Unlike Â· Reply Â· 1 Â· 1 hr

Silvana Stoica What a brilliant idea. I love trams.

Unlike Â· Reply Â· 1 Â· 2 hrs

Nikki Davies I think this is a great idea, i live south side, but travel north side most days for school run and work, i leave a lot earlier than necessary just to miss the traffic, if i leave just 10 minutes later than usual my kids are late for school and im late for work, i would definitely use this tram idea to save time (fun for my kids too) and less money in fuel (if the cost if the tram is reasonable) also less stress being stuck in traffic! On the down side with the way herefordshire council spend the money i doubt it will happen! But great idea!

Unlike Â· Reply Â· 2 Â· 6 hrs

Joanne Powell Absolutely brilliant idea....! It is a much safer option out of school run time...! It is a haven for mugging and attacks along there...! Am sure even for parents who would rather walk their children this would be very appealing in the horrid wind and rain so children aren't left in damp clothes all day from getting soaked...! And as a driver...! Woop woop less traffic 

Like Â· Reply Â· 1 Â· Yesterday at 11:03

Jamie O'Rourke This came up the other day and I said then I think it's one of the absolute best ideas ever to come out of Hereford. And the majority of the infrastructure is already in place, so no more buying out land and paying off businesses to lay down roads ontop of roads that aren't needed
Unlike Â· Reply Â· 1 Â· Yesterday at 13:50

Zoe Crafty Beech While it's a fab idea it will never happen large cities don't have it.. Hereford isn't large enough to warrant spending that kind of money.. With cuts to the majority of public services I do think money would be best yet spent on cycle paths so people actually felt safe to cycle ...
Like Â· Reply Â· Yesterday at 05:31

Chris Johns I think its a great idea and would work well especially for people like myself who cant walk to far and like to go to places like B&M and live up newton farm
Unlike Â· Reply Â· 4 Â· 2 April at 08:50

Dylan Wooles Anything to do with progress in this town and the council bury their heads in the sand and say its to expensive or it doesn't warrant it, those tracks have been redundant for years so any use would be good use, in doing this the council can show that their willing to address the traffic issue, instead of spending hundreds of thousands on moving council offices every 3 years
Unlike Â· Reply Â· 7 Â· 4 April at 21:11 Â· Edited

James Maden Walters What a superb idea! I for one would love to see the GWW bridge turned into something better than a foot/cycle bridge, after all it did used to carry large steam trains. Great to see someone with a fresh positive idea for Hereford city. Our city is going to see some major growth in housing over the next decade so badly needs something like this to free up the congestion of more cars!!
Unlike Â· Reply Â· 7 Â· 1 April at 22:24

Cliff Hanger And linked to Holme Lacey college on the greenway.
Unlike Â· Reply Â· 2 Â· 1 April at 21:56

Rose Tinted Rags : Recycled Textiles & Art. Brilliant idea. trams work in so many other cities across the UK and the world. The CC should have taken Mr Heijn up on his offer.x
Unlike Â· Reply Â· 4 Â· 2 April at 18:55

Simon Thorpe They work Croydon used to be a nightmare with traffic but now with trams congestion is down and its a prosperous town centre not to mention less carbon dioxide in the air
Unlike Â· Reply Â· 1 Â· 3 April at 19:35

Simon Thorpe Well I think we have a unanimous decision tram it is
Like Â· Reply Â· 1 Â· 4 April at 15:13

Debbie McCauley Love this idea!
Unlike Â· Reply Â· 1 Â· 4 April at 16:49

Mandie Drynda Great idea
Unlike Â· Reply Â· 1 Â· 4 April at 21:33

Willow Groeber-Shaw Anything that gets the traffic moving in the centre of Hereford gets my vote. Surely using the infrastructure that is already available makes more sense than the upheaval of a bypass or relief road that will cause more misery for commuters with major roads shut like Bath Street is at the moment? As for using it just for cyclist & walkers, I think to do that would be a wasted opportunity as with a tram system you would reach so many more local people, not just a minority.
Unlike Â· Reply Â· 1 Â·

Sandra Harrison I used to live in Hereford and I been reading the comments and agree with what being said there needs to be shake up in the traffic system
Unlike Â· Reply Â· 1 Â· 15 hrs

Elaine Maxwell Great idea
Unlike Â· Reply Â· 1 Â· 6 hrs

Chris Evans Great Idea. 
Still need a ring round around the city to cut traffic. A49 round onto the worcester road and then to A49 leominster.
Like Â· Reply Â· 6 hrs

Fizz Wotsit you may as well talk to your cat. You will get more sense than you will from hereford council. They never listen to public opinion or needs and would rather spend millions on offices for themselves. I worked on their new offices in plough lane, and have seen money absolutely squandered. None of this will change until the old boy network is named, shamed and routed from office. People like your good self with an ear for the people should be in office, not career climbers doing the bare minimum to get them to their cushy retirement.
Unlike Â· Reply Â· 1 Â· 1 hr

James Maden Walters If its good enough for steam why not a tram system??
11140414_10206308542209639_4139109982050

This topic on our Facebook Page had by 3.40pm today so far reached over 9300 people! With over 100 Likes and 18 shares when I took this snap shot below! This speaks volumes!

Trams Stats 2.png

I have written to Clive Joyce the editor of the HT tonight to see if they would run an article. I have given him both links for here and our Facebook page and also given permission for the paper to use any of my photographs in an article, so let us see if they run with a story.  :Happy_32: Especially after we advertised with them this week.  :Grin:

I have had a sensible reply from Clive this morning regarding this letter that I wrote yesterday:

Hi Clive, 

I have come up with an idea that I have been thinking about for a long time, and that it to put a proper tram system on the Great Western Way Hereford. 

Having been brought up in Redhill I still remember when the Great Western Way was still in use, I have created a topic on our Hereford Voice forums and also our Facebook Page. We have several local Councillors behind our campaign and prepared to look at a feasibility into it and we have also had massive and very positive public support into exploring this idea further already! The discussion has already reached over 9000 people with over 100 likes and it has been shared 18 in a space of a few days. 

Please have a look at the topic on our Forums HERE and also on our Facebook Page Here. Not only would this be a cost saving exercise in the long term, but trams are green and eco friendly, they run silently on electric. This would also help relieve some of the traffic from the southern roads into Hereford. The infustructure is 90% already there and a lot of the tracks are hidden away untouched for years, 

Please consider this as an article for the papers front page! If you decide to run a story please, feel free to quote me and use any of my photographs that I have taken, which you will find on my Hereford Voice forums within this article for the Hereford Times to use. 

many thanks

Colin James

Administrator

This was Clive's reply:

Hi Colin

I think the best way forward for this is to kick it off on the letters pages of the Hereford Gimes and see what reaction we get. I am aware that this idea has been around for about 15 years and so raising it in the opinion section of the HT would be sensible.

Can you put together 300 words on where the idea is at a far as you are concerned and include a jpg of the tram and we will see where it goes.

Regards

Clive Joyce

Editor

Hereford Times

So anyone want to write a letter for me and post it on here and I will email it later today? I will try and put something together later but got a hectic day today, hence my request