Use Trams On Great Western Way

I have for a long time campaigned to have the traffic lights on the southern routes into Hereford to be turned off becuase from evidence obtained in various formats it has been proved that the traffic certainly flows better when these traffic lights have been off or out of order. They could certainly been made to operate part-time at off peak times 8pm-7am

I have also pondered on how to take some of the pressure from these main roads and after a lot of thought I suggested turning the Great Western Way into a road, then after debates with some other members we came up with an even better idea, use a tram system! Back and forth still allowing room for pedestrains and cyclists.

TramHFD.jpg

The GWW in Hereford runs right from the top of Redhill/Newton Farm and could go all the way down through Hunderton and over the river bridge past the rugby club and Sainsburys, continuing down parallel with Edgar Street at the back of the Theatre, continuing past Currys and almost to the back of Dunlem opposite the Leisure Centre. I am not 100% sure where the track ends but I will take a walk this weekend, weather permitting and have a look.

Campaign For Better Transport Website

While trains move lots of people quickly over a long distance and buses move smaller numbers of people, and for shorter journeys, trams are more flexible than trains - because they stop more often - and faster and more reliable than the bus.

Mr Albert Heijn from the Left Bank, I beleive once offered some years ago to fully fund such a project but from my undersatnding the HC refused the idea.

As most of the traffic, according the the HA is 90% for local trips back and forth surely this is an option worth consdering especially as we already have the old railway line available with some work to bring it up to date of course.

Your thoughts on this idea/campaign would be appreciated.

I think the actual idea is great...... do you sense a "but"???

There would still need to be  room for pedestrians and cyclists to use it!

As a link across the city, for both folks getting to work/school, enjoying a river side stroll,  or just getting out and about, The Great Western Way is brilliant as a route for getting away from exhaust fumes, and the dangers that a mix of Hereford roads, impatient drivers, and never ending queues seem to cause! 

On 01/04/2015 at 21:31, dippyhippy said:

I think the actual idea is great...... do you sense a "but"???

There would still need to be  room for pedestrians and cyclists to use it!

As a link across the city, for both folks getting to work/school, enjoying a river side stroll,  or just getting out and about, The Great Western Way is brilliant as a route for getting away from exhaust fumes, and the dangers that a mix of Hereford roads, impatient drivers, and never ending queues seem to cause! 

I agree but it is hardly used especially during the hours of dark. This would mean a new electric system from one end to the other and obviously not diesel, still leaving room for pedestrians and cyclylists, I have just returned from Istanbul and the shared space there with trams works perfectly.

That sounds brilliant!

I've always found it quite busy during the day..... we take the dog down to the river that way, and there always seem to be plenty of folks about!

I must say, I am more than happy to walk the dog by myself at night, and walk through town after dark. I have no worries. I  DO think Hereford is a safe place to live....... but there is no way I would walk up the GWW by myself in the dark!

• Like 1

Colin, you are right Albert Heinz offered to install and pay for a tram on the GWW back in 2007/8 but HCC refused his offer and he spent the money on the Castle Pool hotel instead. I was in favour of the tram system to cut down the traffic on the A465. Children could use it for going to school which I believe would be a novelty to them, and people could use it to go to town either for work or shopping, or in my own case going to council meetings, alas it never came to pass and in my opinion a great mistake.

Can't believe HCC turned the offer down,actually thinking about it nothing surprises me when HCC is concerned. It would put Hereford on the map for the write reasons as well as being a tourist attraction it would help reduce traffic movements.

A super idea and I cannot see why it it could not be implimented. Most of the old track is still there from just past the theatre, just be a case of removing it and laying new tracks for a tram, they would also need to install the electrics but it would be eco friendly, ideal for all, disabled people would have easy access with buggies too, I have seen that working well in Holland. I think its a brilliant idea and would take a lot of pressure from the main roads at the same time.

It always amuses and amazes me in equal measure, that a guy with as much vision and passion for this city, as Albert Heinz...... could be ignored by those who thought they knew better!

That man did a great deal for this city. Far more than Jarvis, Johnson, Bretherton or Bramer!

Love it love it love it!!!

What a fantastic idea!! This is an almost perfect solution in my opinion. It would relieve huge pressures from the main roads, help get the kids to school and people to work from all parts of South Hereford all the way to Holmer Road and if it could be linked to Rotherway like Jimbo has suggested even better.  This is just such a good idea. Both pedestrians and cyclists togther in shared space too. :Happy_32:

I do seem to recall that when this plan was discussed many years ago, the emergency services said that should the river flood, they intended to use the GWW as an emergency route for getting across the city. Perhaps this was another reason why the idea did not progress??

However, it doesn't flood at the ASDA roundabout anymore does it? So it's highly unlikely that this objection would be used for a scheme such as this now.

It will be interesting to see how many folks get on board - no pun intended - with this suggestion!

On 01/04/2015 at 22:22, dippyhippy said:

I do seem to recall that when this plan was discussed many years ago, the emergency services said that should the river flood, they intended to use the GWW as an emergency route for getting across the city. Perhaps this was another reason why the idea did not progress??

However, it doesn't flood at the ASDA roundabout anymore does it? So it's highly unlikely that this objection would be used for a scheme such as this now.

It will be interesting to see how many folks get on board - no pun intended - with this suggestion!

Yes Asda roundabout has not flooded like it used too for a long time. I have just emailed the Civic Society :Winky:

Brilliant idea! Or even a water tram/ ferry up and down the river would be nice. I wouldn't want anything really modern though I hate futuristic, contemporary modern gizmos!

I dont think they do black and white trams lol :tongue_32: you need to get with it and into the 21st century, I actually like the tram in the first picture, very modern and sleek looking. I am a little fed up with Hereford looking like a farm yard, the design at the new shopping centre is terrible, resembles cow sheds from the old market, I understand that was the idea but I really think it looks rubbish. There is nothing wrong with modernisation as long as it it done tastefully.

A new modern electric tram system is exactly what this city needs and this is the most refreshing idea I have heard in years.

I remember talking in a pub to a gent from Amey about this a couple of years ago. He was a civil engineer and could not think of any viable reason why the project should not happen. Seems to me that because some "lard a*se in the council hasn't thought of it, then it gets ignored, i.e.  "I can't say it's my idea therefore no votes, so sod 'em!"    It would be a great way to connect North and South City. Less traffic and less pollution. The only downside that I can envisage, is the prospect of vandalism during dark hours. Then again, if we electrified one of the rails.....?

I remember talking in a pub to a gent from Amey about this a couple of years ago. He was a civil engineer and could not think of any viable reason why the project should not happen. Seems to me that because some "lard a*se in the council hasn't thought of it, then it gets ignored, i.e.  "I can't say it's my idea therefore no votes, so sod 'em!"    It would be a great way to connect North and South City. Less traffic and less pollution. The only downside that I can envisage, is the prospect of vandalism during dark hours. Then again, if we electrified one of the rails.....?

Its an ideal solution for the traffic problem in my opinion. I do not think anything will be vandalised because the trams would be parked in a garage etc overnight plus I would would imagine some CCTV would be in place along the GWW, which incidentally we have been requesting for several years now. I know that CVP requested it too sometime back but nothing has come of it as yet. Trams could run from 6am-midnight everyday.

I dont think they do black and white trams lol :tongue_32: you need to get with it and into the 21st century, I actually like the tram in the first picture, very modern and sleek looking. I am a little fed up with Hereford looking like a farm yard, the design at the new shopping centre is terrible, resembles cow sheds from the old market, I understand that was the idea but I really think it looks rubbish. There is nothing wrong with modernisation as long as it it done tastefully.

A new modern electric tram system is exactly what this city needs and this is the most refreshing idea I have heard in years.

Drat my next suggestion was horse drawn trams!