Use Trams On Great Western Way

Actually this isn't a bad idea but conventional tram systems only work where there is a critical mass of passengers to support them. That said,  back in the day, as a student, I read about something called the Parry People Mover.  It's designed to carry fairly small numbers at low speeds right into and through shopping areas, providing the kind of access that enables people to leave the car at home for shopping trips.  As pretty much every Continental city demonstrates on a daily basis, trams are attractive, efficient, support the local economy and add a buzz to town and city streets.  We should certainly have incorporated something like this into the new city centre development - another missed opportunity through political myopia.

We really have to grasp this nettle with something radical.  Yesterday I needed to go to Whitecross.  I would have cycled but Whitecross Road terrifies me so I drove.  It took me nearly an hour and then half an hour to come home.  This is not progress and we cannot tarmac our way out of the problem.   

http://www.parrypeoplemovers.com/products.htm

I would add that I don't think the answer is to displace cyclists and pedestrians who already have the *** end of the network.   Nothing will be gained until we start reallocating road space to other modes starting with the A49 which needs cycle lanes in both directions.  The Highways Agency has a pot of money for cycling provision on the trunk road network but they don't publicise the fact.  I think we should have some of it.  We could run it as a pilot.  I am  completely confident that it would be a case of "Build it and they will come". 

Okay I have been for a walk this morning along parts of the old railways line that we are referring.

If I start at the top of Redhill/Newton Farm near to the where the track used to split into two. A turning point was also suggested, well, there are lots of empty fields in this area, the one that comes to mind could be the field in this photograph, which I will name 'The Top Field'. No trees either!

The Top Field

Beaufort Ave 1.jpg

You can see where this field is located better from this photo

This is the main field as you walk down from the top of Brampton Road in Newton Farm, Haywood School (The Academy) is directly facing you and the skate board part is to the right.

Main Field 1a.jpg

The existing trains you can see in this photo (good timing on my part lol)

Train 1.jpg

Train 2.jpg

The route into the city is less than the 2-3 miles that I thought it was, it is actually only 1 1/2 miles from this point, so the turn around could be less than 20-30 minutes more like 15 mins.

Sign 1.jpg

Colin, the land in the pictures  belongs to Herefordshire Housing, and it floods a lot. The GWW belongs to the council. So we would have to approach both the council and Herefordshire Housing to get the tramway passed. The down side to this is its  the only "open space" left on Newton Farm and the skate park would have to be removed.

Colin, the land in the pictures  belongs to Herefordshire Housing, and it floods a lot. The GWW belongs to the council. So we would have to approach both the council and Herefordshire Housing to get the tramway passed. The down side to this is its  the only "open space" left on Newton Farm and the skate park would have to be removed.

I dont agree Glenda, why would the skate park need to be removed? Possibly moved further back but that may not be necessary either but these fields are huge! We only need a small turning point and I have already suggested 'The Top Field' for that, so this field may not need to be touched at all, if push came to shove.

As for flooding I can't say I remember that happening when I was a kid but I do remember trains used to run along this track, so I can't see that being an issue in all honesty.

You're welcome.  A word of caution:  I think we do need to be careful about depriving already poor communities of amenity space but, on the other hand, trams are not like trains: they don't need elaborate infrastructure and shouldn't take up much room.   One solution might be to go with a kerb guided tram/bus hybrid like one I went to see in Essen, Germany.   It's a conventional bus that charges on a fly wheel along the inside of the kerb but can also run on the road.  It looks like a bus but runs like a tram or a bus;  takes up very little space and is a lot cheaper to build and run than a conventional tram systems and because it's electric you don't get the air quality issue you do with conventional diesel buses.  Take a look. 

http://www.citytransport.info/OBahn.htm

A good idea indeed. I can see this working and the local community getting behind the project because getting this up and running will benefit everyone and relieve a lot of traffic from the mains routes into south Hereford. There are also some fields that could be used at the other end near to the back of the Lads Club and further on down. Main river bridge used to carry huge pay loads of trains but it would obviously need checking and possibly bringing up to date but we are not talking lengthy diesel trains carrying tons of steel and coal are we, we are talking of a tram system carrying people. It a very good positive idea and Colin I would be totally backing this project if you can get it off the ground. 

These bus/ tram hybrids are designed to deliver maximum accessibility right into town and city centres which means people can travel in comfort right to the shops they want to visit rather than parking on the periphery and walking in.   You have to give public transport a cost and/or time advantage though, and make it frequent and completely reliable - otherwise people won't use it as we know.  The objective is to get over the cultural stigma we have in this country - the idea that anyone "over 30" on a bus has somehow failed in life.   On the Continent, everyone uses the buses and trams including smart suited executives.  

You're welcome.  A word of caution:  I think we do need to be careful about depriving already poor communities of amenity space but, on the other hand, trams are not like trains: they don't need elaborate infrastructure and shouldn't take up much room.   One solution might be to go with a kerb guided tram/bus hybrid like one I went to see in Essen, Germany.   It's a conventional bus that charges on a fly wheel along the inside of the kerb but can also run on the road.  It looks like a bus but runs like a tram or a bus;  takes up very little space and is a lot cheaper to build and run than a conventional tram systems and because it's electric you don't get the air quality issue you do with conventional diesel buses.  Take a look. 

http://www.citytransport.info/OBahn.htm

I prefer the tram idea or your Parry People Mover even, I have seen some relatively small trams they come in various sizes and are eco friendly and quiet too, so little or no noise pollution at all.

I've seen and used the Essen bus.  It's a really comfortable ride: completely accessible to bikes, pushchairs and wheelchairs and speeding down the dedicated track past the traffic is almost surreal.   We could definitely do this in Hereford but we would have to have the courage of our convictions and reallocated road space away from private motor vehicles and that would be controversial.  

Okay I have been for a walk this morning along parts of the old railways line that we are referring.

If I start at the top of Redhill/Newton Farm near to the where the track used to split into two. A turning point was also suggested, well, there are lots of empty fields in this area, the one that comes to mind could be the field in this photograph, which I will name 'The Top Field'. No trees either!

The Top Field

attachicon.gifBeaufort Ave 1.jpg

You can see where this field is located better from this photo

This is the main field as you walk down from the top of Brampton Road in Newton Farm, Haywood School (The Academy) is directly facing you and the skate board part is to the right.

attachicon.gifMain Field 1a.jpg

The existing trains you can see in this photo (good timing on my part lol)

attachicon.gifTrain 1.jpg

attachicon.gifTrain 2.jpg

The route into the city is less than the 2-3 miles that I thought it was, it is actually only 1 1/2 miles from this point, so the turn around could be less than 20-30 minutes more like 15 mins.

attachicon.gifSign 1.jpg

This could be a good option, I can't see too many people complaining about the use of the top field, there is already trains going past and a tram would be super quiet being electronically powered. I see Preston are thing along the same lines - excuse the pun, see here and also here

Yep - well we would need a feasibility study in any event.  The PPM travels at speeds between 5mph and 25mph and is designed for town and city centres including through covered shopping malls.  It works best in short loops with a central interchange for example between the station and city centre.  If it travelled straight through Commercial Street and High Town or down Blueschool Street and into WIdemarsh Street and then High Town, it would breathe new life into that area of the city particularly if High Town was opened up to cyclists (with designated paths of course - I don't go in for this shared space stuff in areas of high pedestrian/vehicle conflict).  

Yep - well we would need a feasibility study in any event.  The PPM travels at speeds between 5mph and 25mph and is designed for town and city centres including through covered shopping malls.  It works best in short loops with a central interchange for example between the station and city centre.  If it travelled straight through Commercial Street and High Town or down Blueschool Street and into WIdemarsh Street and then High Town, it would breathe new life into that area of the city particularly if High Town was opened up to cyclists (with designated paths of course - I don't go in for this shared space stuff in areas of high pedestrian/vehicle conflict).  

Yes the PPM would be ideal for in the town centre itself but I think a tram would be ideal in this instance.  

This could be a good option, I can't see too many people complaining about the use of the top field, there is already trains going past and a tram would be super quiet being electronically powered. I see Preston are thing along the same lines - excuse the pun, see here and also here

Some of these are solar powered too which is an even bigger incentive to pursue this idea. 

Nottingham are into trams too http://greenallianceblog.org.uk/2013/03/13/trams-solar-panels-and-enlightened-self-interest-in-nottingham/, this is a very positive stuff I must say, this debate has filled me with renewed hope. 

Agreed, Frank.

There are transport solutions for Hereford where the car does not have to be king! This could make a dramatic improvement.

I just can't stop thinking and talking with my family and friends about this idea, I think its brilliant. We should call the line Colin's Great Western Way he hee