This is what happens when requests are ignored...

Colin James

Do you all remember when I asked for the Tree's at the bottom of Glastonbury Close to be cut down and bushes cleared? Well after many discussion between myself Cllr Powell and Amey eventually, a few men were sent up to clear the open space area. (Nov 2009) At the time the supervisor from Amey suggested that they only need cut back the tree's, both Cllr Powell, myself and other residents said it would be better and safer (preventing kids climbing on the spiked metal fence surround McDonald's) if the tree's were cut down totally, but no he insisted that they would leave stumps... I told them then that they would need to come back within a year or so, no no no he said it will be at least 4 or 5 years before they need pruning again.

Well this is what they looked like when Amey had completed their work

stump1.png

And this is what it looks like today

tree.png

I guess it's time for another call to Amey eh..

Well it would be something new if Amey would actually listen to the public. They obviously will need to come back soon.

I found one of your original requests for this action as far back as 2009

Once it was pretty; now

it needs a dose of TLC

New fence In reply to the email from Rebecca Morrison, she is 100% correct. The new fence needs repairing. As of this moment only one upright is damaged (so much for it being indestructible) so this could be fixed without too much hassle or cost. But if it is left it will only encourage other damage.

I have also noticed that McDonald's have piled up a massive amount of wood (removed in order to install the fence) on their side of the fence - as previously pointed out, a fire waiting to happen.

Brook This brook is apparently cleaned regularly. In 20 years I think I have only seen the council here two or three times at most. Even on those occasions it was only a half-hearted exercise.

This little field at the bottom of Glastonbury Close (public open space) used to be so pretty but all the surrounding trees and bushes have never been trimmed or cut back and, after 20 years, it looks horrible. This also encourages the idiots who, in the past, have caused the fires and damage, to do the things they do. If the trees and bushes round the outside of this field were cut right back and tidied up this would help restore it to how it used to look.

Why don't the council just spend a few days chopping these trees and bushes back and reducing the height, cleaning out the brook properly and removing all the rubbish. This would go a long way to making things better and is long overdue.

Colin James

August 22 2009

Look how much that has grown in such a short space of time. How often do they cut the grass and surrounding bushes?

Well funny that you have asked that question as they normally come about 4 times a year, they actually came today which was a laugh, a young girl on her own carrying a large petrol strummer, talk about struggling with it, to be honest the way she has cut the grass edges was a waste of time, I actually filmed her but the battery died on me before it completed, but if I tell you from the second she arrived in the close to the time she left was definitely no more than 10 mins. Here is how she thought strimming grass should look once the task is completed...

IMG_1564.JPG

IMG_1560.JPG

IMG_1563.JPG

That is what Amey call cutting the grass? why have they not cut it properly? that is so annoying, they had the kit and personnel on site and they can't be bothered to do the job right,  :Angry:  didn't she like the stinging nettles and weeds along the kerbside then? stupid thing is she would of had to of lifted the strimmer over the weeds in order to strim the grass along that little verge. Thumbs-Down.png

Do you all remember when I asked for the Tree's at the bottom of Glastonbury Close to be cut down and bushes cleared? Well after many discussion between myself Cllr Powell and Amey eventually, a few men were sent up to clear the open space area. (Nov 2009) At the time the supervisor from Amey suggested that they only need cut back the tree's, both Cllr Powell, myself and other residents said it would be better and safer (preventing kids climbing on the spiked metal fence surround McDonald's) if the tree's were cut down totally, but no he insisted that they would leave stumps... I told them then that they would need to come back within a year or so, no no no he said it will be at least 4 or 5 years before they need pruning again.

msg-2-13302954717454_thumb.png

Colin what you are showing is best quality Amey workmanship, hack it down at waist levellike all their work poor.

Why AM I not surprised? I am trying to remember the guy from Amey's name who insisted that they tree's did not need cutting down completely and who refused to cut some of them, was it Rob? I think he was the supervisor...

So back to square one then as Colin James predicted.

Amey officers have not returned my call from the other day asking for the trees to be cut, so will chase them up tomorrow!

msg-2-13302954717454_thumb.png

Colin, I have spoken to Amy / Community Protection Team this morning they are sending someone up to see what needs doing altogether, they are ringing me at 2pm today as to when they will do the work and I ask for a site visit with me. The girl who cut the verge along side your houses was not a member of Amey staff.

Colin, I have spoken to Amy / Community Protection Team this morning they are sending someone up to see what needs doing altogether, they are ringing me at 2pm today as to when they will do the work and I ask for a site visit with me. The girl who cut the verge along side your houses was not a member of Amey staff.

GOOD NEWS! I am pleased to report having spoken to a senior officer this afternoon there is someone coming to Glastonbury Close in the morning to meet me on site, I have advised the officer I want the stumps cut down to ground level, weeds removed, brook cleaned out and the grass cut also do the verge again along the road.I will then be reporting back to the officer tomorrow afternoon in person as we are both going to the same meeting.

GOOD NEWS! I am pleased to report having spoken to a senior officer this afternoon there is someone coming to Glastonbury Close in the morning to meet me on site, I have advised the officer I want the stumps cut down to ground level, weeds removed, brook cleaned out and the grass cut also do the verge again along the road.I will then be reporting back to the officer tomorrow afternoon in person as we are both going to the same meeting.

Did Colin and you not request this originally? this is good news but lets see what happens this time.

Did Colin and you not request this originally? this is good news but lets see what happens this time.

Yes and it was done, the problem now is that they did not come back to check it every so often and it has gone back to the original state from our first request. The site meeting with 2 officers and myself at 9am this morning went well, they are now going to see how much it will cost, and come back to me.

Yes and it was done, the problem now is that they did not come back to check it every so often and it has gone back to the original state from our first request. The site meeting with 2 officers and myself at 9am this morning went well, they are now going to see how much it will cost, and come back to me.

No it was not done as you both originally asked was it! that is my point, the supervisor at the time insisted that they did not need cutting right down, because I remember there was also the issue of kids climbing on the stumps near to that awful fence, they also left sharp tools laying around at the time. So I am saying lets hope they do it as you have both requested this time, then there will be no need to come back (for the tree's) and they would not be going to work out the costs again.

I have heard from the officer this lunchtime in regard to Glastonbury Close and the site visit I arranged last week with officers. Amey will be going there for half a day, as part of a program of works, they will clear the area and cut back the foliage of the stumps but will not remove them altogether due to budget costs. I have accepted this,I feel although this was not what we wanted, something is better than nothing being done at all.

I have heard from the officer this lunchtime in regard to Glastonbury Close and the site visit I arranged last week with officers. Amey will be going there for half a day, as part of a program of works, they will clear the area and cut back the foliage of the stumps but will not remove them altogether due to budget costs. I have accepted this,I feel although this was not what we wanted, something is better than nothing being done at all.

Surely this would not cost that much more? Okay you have a result but they will be coming back yet AGAIN! Next year, that will be the third visit, when they could of done this the first time. It's no wonder so much money is wasted. :Thumbs-Down:

Why do you have to accept this? can you not put more pressure upon them to get these stumps cut down on this visit once and for all? Because in the long run it will save us money and not use any of their budget next year. Otherwise, all that will happen is that they will end up coming out every year with the excuse that they don't have enough in their budget each time.

Well done for getting this far but I think we could get this job completed this time around.

Why do you have to accept this? can you not put more pressure upon them to get these stumps cut down on this visit once and for all? Because in the long run it will save us money and not use any of their budget next year. Otherwise, all that will happen is that they will end up coming out every year with the excuse that they don't have enough in their budget each time.

Well done for getting this far but I think we could get this job completed this time around.

It was not what I wanted, and yes I told them if they had done what I ask last year they would not be having to do work on the stumps again this year. I have said I want to know when they are doing the work and I will apply pressure on the day while they are there! McDonalds is putting the non drying paint on the wall and fencing to stop people climbing over. From what I have been told they have spent all of this year budget already.

Well, it is now 10.15am and all that they have done so far is cut the grass and some of the weeds, this picture was taken at 10am

post-69-13302954744079_thumb.jpg

I received the email below after visiting Glastonbury Close open space when operatives were there this morning, and ask them to clarify the ownership of the willows.

Hello Cllr Powell

The grounds maintenance team have ask for this information to be sent to you

Update on works at Glastonbury close:

Going back last year we were called to the location to carry out a general tidy up, and to carry out work to the willow trees. At the time we were unclear on ownership, but as these trees were surveyed in 2008 By herefordshire council we instructed the tree team to pollard the problematic willows. On further investigation the ownership of the trees, and indeed the area surrounding has become unclear. Geof tarring says Herefordshire council own up to the middle of the stream and that McDonalds probably own the other side. The Belmont team have been on site today to carry out a general tidy up, shrub prune, grass cut and litter pick. We have also been speaking to Keith Eyles regarding the issue of fly tipping (leylandi branches) to the rear of 3 Golden Post, he is now going to pay them a visit.

Going forward, we've sent a request to the land registry to define ownership of the purple area ( around willows) this will take three days and we will let you know the outcome once it arrives.

Kind regards,

Rachel Davies

Customer Service Support Manager, Amey.

Whilst I was there this morning I ask the operatives to cut again the grass verge the length of Glastonbury Close also to cut back the berry trees at the end of the road.

I saw Cllr Powell here just after I took the above picture, and I explained that although Amey were cutting back weeds and bushes etc, they had not yet tackled the stumps, Cllr Powell informs me, that now, they are not sure if McDonalds own the land where the stumps are located and that the foundry is in the centre of the Newton Brook, and that they need to contact McDonalds to either instruct them to cut down the stumps or Amey will complete the work and invoice McDonalds, which sounds fine, ( I just knew that this would not be done today) I am just confused why this work was carried out last year by Amey, so did they not investigate who actually owns the land back then?

Anyway, I have arrived home from work, and was pleaseantly surprised, that at least what they have done, was done well in all fairness. (with exception to the stumps not being removed).

That said, Cllr Powell did mention to me a week or so ago, that our fly tipper had dumped a whole load of fur tree's in the same place as last year and that someone was going around to discuss pressing charges this time, only nobody was home when they called the other week. I was a little surprised that Amey did not take this away with them today while they were on site and send the culprit the bill, as it is all still there, and looks a right mess!! see below;

post-63-13302954747832_thumb.jpg

That does look a lot better than the other day. Well done Amey :Thumbs-Up: :Thumbs-Up:

The girl who cut the verge along side your houses was not a member of Amey staff.

Amey, I have seen working this morning out on my walk and the girl in question does work as Amey staff, she is fully kitted up and I asked her if she enjoyed her job with Amey, to which she replied yes.