Beryl Bikes Arrive in Hereford

Hereford Voice

From Westfields to Portfields and everything in between, Hereford’s residents and visitors will be able to get a lungful of fresh air on Beryl Bikes in time for summer. 

The British urban cycling brand, has announced the launch date of its innovative hybrid bike share scheme that is already helping create greener cities in London, Bournemouth and Poole.

An initial rollout of 70 bicycles will begin on Monday 29th of July, before 150 Beryl emerald bikes will be available for business and pleasure across the city. To hire  a Beryl Bike, users must use the Beryl app, available for download on the App Store for iOS, and the Google Play store for Android users. The bikes can be picked up and dropped off in marked ‘Beryl Bays’ that have been selected and approved in conjunction with Herefordshire Council, to ensure the scheme is in line with the needs of the community. With Beryl Bays positioned at key attractions and transport hubs like Hereford Railway Station, Old Market and Hereford Cathedral, there will always be a bike nearby.

Beryl12.jpg.eb3ef262d49de260bba3dc356da26ddc.jpg

Riders will have a payment choice of Pay-As-You-Ride (£1 unlock fee + 5p per minute), Minute Bundles (no unlock fee and bundles starting at 100 minutes for £5) or Day Passes (24 hours of unlimited riding for £12). Once their ride is complete, users simply close the lock on the bike to complete their ride and make it available for the next person to use.

The three-speed gear bike has a step-through design suitable for riders from 4’11” to 6’5”. They are also fitted with the company’s patented Laserlight Technology, combining a bright, dynamo-powered white light with a green laser projection, visible at night. This allows riders to be seen in blind spots and forewarn pedestrians that they’re on the road when riding in the dark.

Through the custom-built reporting dashboard, Beryl will be able to provide Herefordshire Council with valuable insights from the data generated by the bikes. This will help local authorities plan and grow their cycling infrastructure, based on accurate journey data.

Cllr John Harrington, Cabinet Member for Transport and Infrastructure, said:

“The new Beryl Bikes scheme will be a fantastic addition to the many active travel options offered through our Choose How you Move project. They will make short journeys in and across the city much easier, reduce congestion and vehicle emissions, and help to get more people out and about using healthy, active, sustainable transport.

“We’re delighted to welcome the first 75 Beryl Bikes to Hereford and look forward to a further 75 arriving soon. The bikes will make travelling around Hereford both easier and healthier for local people and visitors, and the local environment will benefit from reduced pollution and better air quality.”

Beryl22.thumb.jpg.f16999f54b37079d2d8f1602e78d753c.jpg

Phil Ellis, Beryl CEO, said:

“We’re excited to bring bike share to Hereford for the first time and make it easy and fun to get around the city by bike. Hereford is the perfect place for cycling and we’re pleased to be working with a dedicated and committed team at the Council to bring this project to life.”

On 29/07/2019 at 21:53, Robmozz said:

Seems bizarre that the hospital hasn't got a bay given that it must be the biggest employer in town 

Given that the hospital removed all cycle parking when they built the hideous 'temporary' winter emergency portakbins in front of the main entrance last year, the powers that be there don't appear to have much interest in encouraging exercise and it's health benefits. 

• Confused 1

I saw one of these bikes parked up [unattended] at the junction of Folly Lane/Church Rd/Mount Crescent today. Several also in a marked bay near the cheap tobacco shop on Commercial Road. Only time will tell if this initiative will prove to be successful. My own personal guess is that it will be a system that will not work in Hereford. Because of misuse. Or theft. Or bikes ending up in the river. How much time is there to investigate a bike theft these days? Probably not much. Punishment for a bike theft is also zero for someone who doesn't care about his/her/LGBQT actions. Whoever is operating this bike scheme will have to manage the scheme/losses themselves. Rather like shops. Who now have de facto security all over. As Police have fallen short in various areas. Not entirely their fault. Obviously. 

What the topic start post underplays, or never mentions, is the established Pedicargo influence/oversight here. 

we’re pleased to be working with a dedicated and committed team at the Council to bring this project to life.”

Start post also failed to mention that the Council have a 'dedicated and committed team' all over this bike stuff. 

7 hours ago, Roger said:

I saw one of these bikes parked up [unattended] at the junction of Folly Lane/Church Rd/Mount Crescent today. Several also in a marked bay near the cheap tobacco shop on Commercial Road. Only time will tell if this initiative will prove to be successful. My own personal guess is that it will be a system that will not work in Hereford. Because of misuse. Or theft. Or bikes ending up in the river. How much time is there to investigate a bike theft these days? Probably not much. Punishment for a bike theft is also zero for someone who doesn't care about his/her/LGBQT actions. Whoever is operating this bike scheme will have to manage the scheme/losses themselves. Rather like shops. Who now have de facto security all over. As Police have fallen short in various areas. Not entirely their fault. Obviously. 

I saw that one at Folly Lane last night - it is in a green square, and there was one opposite the Rose Garden on Ledbury Road in a green square. Just sitting there unattached to anything and they do scream steal me (although they have a nurses lock on the back wheel). They do have a gps tracker and I assume bluetooth to link with the hirers phone to unlock and track it. Whether that works in the river is another question. I wish the scheme well, but you only have to walk through High Town during the day to see the preponderance of pond life looking for mischief to see that it is going to struggle.

14 hours ago, Roger said:

It's a beryl bike parking bay roger.

• 3 weeks later...

Beryl Bikes arrived in Hereford just over a month ago and we have all seen the vandalism and damage caused to this greta scheme to help people travel around our city, unfortunately it is always the few idiots that spoil it for the rest of the community. 

We took this photograph this evening outside the Oval shops, bikes in a heap and a saddle missing from one.

Berylebikesoval.thumb.jpg.267aa1f4885f214a3c2f2fe269382239.jpg Berylebikesoval2.thumb.jpg.ed533cc3d3020e13b88a81b262974456.jpg

13 hours ago, Hereford Voice said:

Berylebikesoval3.thumb.jpg.69cedbe7bdc0b734922726cbe2c7de4d.jpg

We appreciate that they should not have to park these bikes in stands but maybe that's the only way to prevent these bikes becoming wrecked! 

Noticed two bikes have had their saddles removed or pinched. There is one in this picture.

11 hours ago, megilleland said:

Noticed two bikes have had their saddles removed or pinched. There is one in this picture.

Yes unbelievable the lengths that someone will go in order to ruin it for others. We did pick the bikes up and place them back on their stands after we took these photographs, we also reported the damage etc to the Beryl support team, this was the nice reply that we received back:

Hello,

I hope you are well.

Thank you so much for raising this issue to us! I have passed your feedback to our on-street team to have the bike collected as soon as possible.

We really appreciate your help with this matter and if there is anything else we can help you with, please do let us know.

I hope you have a lovely day!

Many thanks,
Nasreen

I am surprised that no provision was made for bike stands to prevent damage to bikes and to reduce the risk of them being thrown down on the ground. This rack only costs £20 and can be bolted to the ground, a small cost to safeguard the value and prolong the life of the bikes.

image.thumb.png.298ca1de3c71136b8ad42a01ac1df486.png

On 26/08/2019 at 19:39, Hereford Voice said:

Beryl Bikes arrived in Hereford just over a month ago and we have all seen the vandalism and damage caused to this greta scheme to help people travel around our city, unfortunately it is always the few idiots that spoil it for the rest of the community. 

We took this photograph this evening outside the Oval shops, bikes in a heap and a saddle missing from one.

Berylebikesoval.thumb.jpg.267aa1f4885f214a3c2f2fe269382239.jpg Berylebikesoval2.thumb.jpg.ed533cc3d3020e13b88a81b262974456.jpg

If you leave a load of vulnerable bikes in a dodgy location they are gonna get damaged or trashed! Or stolen. Or thrown in the river for a laugh.