IRAQI & KURDISH Owned Shops Raided Again!

Colin James

***** IRAQI & KURDISH owned shops raided again! ***** 

Cigarette Haul.jpg

All of these shops hide behind names such as: Polski Sklep, Zabka, International Food, Kubus and Super Sams to name just a few and to be totally honest NONE of the shops that have been raided over the past few years including those in Eign Gate Hereford mentioned above have ever been Polish owned! 

The Polish community have been unfairly tarnished and labelled causing divide within the community unnecessarily.

This topic has been created to highlight these issues and if you click on ANY of the past police and trading standards raids listed below within this topic, you will clearly see that all of the shops and businesses mentioned are not owned by Polish people and the only connection is the produce that they sell, alongside produce from many other nations. Sometimes the staff employed maybe Polish or European to help sell these products.

Some of these shops even have the cheek to steal their names and the logo's from big corporate legit Polish companies and appear to get away with that too! Names like Zabka, Kubus and Biedronka are all large Polish companies and brands.

The ONLY Polish owned shop in Hereford as far as we are aware is Edysia at the very bottom of Eign Gate (opposite Peacocks) 

Here is a list of previous raids in Hereford along with the names of the people prosecuted or facing prosecution.

People who come to this country and then cannot behave in an acceptable manner should be returned post haste to their original country.  Same goes for people from the UK who go to live in another country.

I am trying to think of an instance where a British person has opened a shop using say a Chinese logo or whatever - I can't so why are these people being allowed to do it - surely it is misrepresentation and why are Trading Standards allowing it - why?   

Not wishing to sound racist but if a British person opened a say Kurdish shop and it caused unrest surely then that person would be accused of being racist

I just do not understand that it is being allowed and worse than that that it is causing unrest with out Polish community who I have a lot of respect for

People who come to this country and then cannot behave in an acceptable manner should be returned post haste to their original country.  Same goes for people from the UK who go to live in another country.

I am trying to think of an instance where a British person has opened a shop using say a Chinese logo or whatever - I can't so why are these people being allowed to do it - surely it is misrepresentation and why are Trading Standards allowing it - why?   

Not wishing to sound racist but if a British person opened a say Kurdish shop and it caused unrest surely then that person would be accused of being racist

I just do not understand that it is being allowed and worse than that that it is causing unrest with out Polish community who I have a lot of respect for

What are they misrepresenting?Surly you are not implying that to run a Polish food shop you must be Polish....

What are they misrepresenting?Surly you are not implying that to run a Polish food shop you must be Polish....

Denise is not at all in my view but these people are obviously breaking the law in many areas and portraying themselves to be Polish as well as using Polish branding, so I would say they they are taking the pi*% myself!

Well to be perfectly frank and maybe a little naively if in this country I wanted something along the lines of Polish food I would go to a correctly named Polish shop and hopefully be successful in my mission.  I do not know if these so called Polish shops stock Polish food or not I have not frequented one!

By the same token if I wanted Turkish food or even authentic Turkish delight I would go  to a appropriately named Turkish shop. Especially if they sold genuine Baklava. That is me and the way I do my shopping!  So as far as I am concerned it is my take on misrepresentation.  We are all entitled to our opinion you know!

The shop that has opened where Friar Tuck was is that Polish Turkish or what?

Just in case I need to shop there I would like to know what I am entering prior to going in!

Well to be perfectly frank and maybe a little naively if in this country I wanted something along the lines of Polish food I would go to a correctly named Polish shop and hopefully be successful in my mission.  I do not know if these so called Polish shops stock Polish food or not I have not frequented one!

By the same token if I wanted Turkish food or even authentic Turkish delight I would go  to a appropriately named Turkish shop. Especially if they sold genuine Baklava. That is me and the way I do my shopping!  So as far as I am concerned it is my take on misrepresentation.  We are all entitled to our opinion you know!

The shop that has opened where Friar Tuck was is that Polish Turkish or what?

Just in case I need to shop there I would like to know what I am entering prior to going in!

Friar Tuck old shop is still empty Denise, I just drove past?

This is pure criminal behaviour- intentionally selling goods which are contraband or brought into the country illegally. Full licensing hearing for Mila & Supersam is Thursday 15 December when a committee of councillors will decide what action they will take. In addition (hopefully) the shops owner will be prosecuted over the next few months. These cases are not a case of someone trying to keep their head above the water. This is deliberate intentional and systematic

A change in legislation which allows courts to close shops is needed.

A further debate should be held about the landlord who rent these shops out. They are taking rent which could be viewed as proceeds of crime - so money laundering comes to mind

This is pure criminal behaviour- intentionally selling goods which are contraband or brought into the country illegally. Full licensing hearing for Mila & Supersam is Thursday 15 December when a committee of councillors will decide what action they will take. In addition (hopefully) the shops owner will be prosecuted over the next few months. These cases are not a case of someone trying to keep their head above the water. This is deliberate intentional and systematic

A change in legislation which allows courts to close shops is needed.

A further debate should be held about the landlord who rent these shops out. They are taking rent which could be viewed as proceeds of crime - so money laundering comes to mind

You have made some valid points here, I never even considered the landlords in fairness but i think you could be right.

Committee decision today - Supersams and Mila shops licence REVOKED

Good, but I am sure they will still continue selling alcohol regardless, the law needs changing and much heavier sentences need to be imposed. Annoys me, these people have been welcomed into this country from Iraq and this is how they behave, not surprised that some people make the comments that they do.

There is a gap in the legislation somewhere. The Police and Trading Standards are clearly listening to the word on the street, developing the intelligence, swearing out and executing the warrants, making the seizures and bringing prosecutions. What's needed is a legislative power to say to people, 'You can't own, manage, be connected with etc any shop in Herefordshire" because of the fact that you've run a dodgy business in the past. Without being able to close down the operations at point of sale, there'll always be another stooge put up to front a 'Polish' shop which has little or nothing to do with Polish people. For a start, I'd enact a bye law that requires clear and unobstructed views through the front doors and windows. All that sticky back plastic can come down straight away...

Good, but I am sure they will still continue selling alcohol regardless, the law needs changing and much heavier sentences need to be imposed. Annoys me, these people have been welcomed into this country from Iraq and this is how they behave, not surprised that some people make the comments that they do.

That's a really good point. These counterfeit or non duty paid rackets can't be doing anything for the reputations of the genuine Refugees from the Middle East, fleeing here to rebuild their lives after the atrocities meted out upon them. I think their community leaders should exercise some community leadership to address this illegal activity which is causing massive preconceptions about the Iraqi Kurd ethnic group.

There is a clear missing link in the legislation.

Licensing Act - alcohol licence can be revoked. Shop stays open

Trademark legislation - fine, shop stays open

Illegal immigrants - civil fine. Shop stays open

Contraband/illicit tobacco/alcohol legislation - prison and/or fine. Shop stays open

Criminal conspiracy- prison. Shop stays open

Planning regulations - nothing. Shop stays open

So answers on a postcard what needs to be done to stop an individual operating a particular business in commercial/retail premises...?

Additional update.

Appeal for Alex Polish Shop in Ledbury was refused at Hereford Mag Court today (20/12). It is a convenience shop run by a Polish couple who sold contraband tobacco and non duty paid vodka and then applied for an alcohol licence! Application was refused a few months back after police and Trading Standards objections, the owners appealed the decision and it was refused today...(they failed to turn up) Cost to the public purse at least 4k. Costs awarded to the council - will they pay....

There is a clear missing link in the legislation.

Licensing Act - alcohol licence can be revoked. Shop stays open

Trademark legislation - fine, shop stays open

Illegal immigrants - civil fine. Shop stays open

Contraband/illicit tobacco/alcohol legislation - prison and/or fine. Shop stays open

Criminal conspiracy- prison. Shop stays open

Planning regulations - nothing. Shop stays open

So answers on a postcard what needs to be done to stop an individual operating a particular business in commercial/retail premises...?

Change of legislation required, clearly :)

You're slightly missing my point, Alex. It's not banning them from ever having a license again but (a) curtailing them from being a shopkeeper in Hereford and (b) restricting the business use of that premises, in future.

But what if they sell up and someone else moves into those premises, they will not be able to trade?

Yes, of course, but not as a convenience store, or only with conditions e.g. no tobacco sales.

Sounds a good idea but I feel it is flawed, unfair on any future legit business person, based on this then half of Eign Gate would be empty.

Personally, I understand there is no real easy option but Police and Trading Standards, Customs etc, should have powers to close a business down immediately! They would not get away with this in some other European countries, they are taking the pi*% and everyone knows it. 

Get what you're saying, but it's a bit of a sweeping generalisation re Eign Gate. Yes, several shops have had 'issues' (sometimes repeatedly) in the past. If one were to be closed and the proprietors banned from running a shop in Herefordshire, then I'm sure we wouldn't get these repeat problems and all stores (including other convenience ones in Eign Gate) would be run properly and legitimately. All I can tell you is that there is a gap in the law, and these muppets who go on the Hereford Times comments section and pontificate on what is essentially a good news story about Trading Standards and Police seizing the largest haul of illicit, smuggled and/or counterfeit goods off dodgy businesses in our county's history, are jeering in their sad confusion.

• 7 months later...