OAP drivers

Jon stannard

Interesting post Jon - you talk about OAP - are you refering to over 65 or beyond -.when I reached the grand old age of 71 I applies to HCC to take part in their sponsored driving assessment , cost £10 . Received a copy of the Highway Code and a location to meet a qualified Driving Instructor . On my arrival he checked my eye sight , my vehicle and my driving docs . Cut a long story short my assessment was over one hour , far longer than a normal driving test , included rural roads , dual carriageways , plus of course urban roads plus I had to give a commentary of what I saw plus why I was making decisions . At the end of the test my Examiner debriefed my and said would receive his written report via the Council - I did within 7 days ....I came out as excellence- very pleased BUT not a reason to gloat - I must keep up this standard.

Having said all that - I am now 74 + and seriously considering giving up driving whilst I am ahead ! THE BIG BUT IS THE FACT THAT WHILST WE LIVE IN THE COUNTRY 4 miles NORTH OF HEREFORD ON A BUS ROUTE WILL WE HAVE THIS BUS ROUTE IN 6 MONTHS TIME . ?

I am sure other older folk are of the same thinking.

Should add that at the moment we use the bus service at least once a week - one could suggest that the bal is in the Councils court - continue the bus service and I , for one will give up driving - stop my bus service and I will continue driving !

Had four accidents with OAP's
First one old boy in sports car hit us up the back,not noticing we were stationary waiting to turn right.He went for improvement course.
Second was an old lady in salvation army gear,pulled out of her drive and slammed into passenger side of my car with kids in whilst I parked at 
relations house delivering christmas card.
Third was on new bridge.He was in left lane I was in right.Traffic build up on his side so he decided to pull into my lane.Was fined and lost his licence for three months due to points top up.
Forth was the best.Iwas turning right on roundabout at to pf Aylestone Hill,old girl kept going and plowed into my van.Two months later she was involved in
an accident with a police car late at night pulling out of Overbury Road onto Aylestone Hill.

Interesting post Jon - you talk about OAP - are you refering to over 65 or beyond -.when I reached the grand old age of 71 I applies to HCC to take part in their sponsored driving assessment , cost £10 . Received a copy of the Highway Code and a location to meet a qualified Driving Instructor . On my arrival he checked my eye sight , my vehicle and my driving docs . Cut a long story short my assessment was over one hour , far longer than a normal driving test , included rural roads , dual carriageways , plus of course urban roads plus I had to give a commentary of what I saw plus why I was making decisions . At the end of the test my Examiner debriefed my and said would receive his written report via the Council - I did within 7 days ....I came out as excellence- very pleased BUT not a reason to gloat - I must keep up this standard.

Having said all that - I am now 74 + and seriously considering giving up driving whilst I am ahead ! THE BIG BUT IS THE FACT THAT WHILST WE LIVE IN THE COUNTRY 4 miles NORTH OF HEREFORD ON A BUS ROUTE WILL WE HAVE THIS BUS ROUTE IN 6 MONTHS TIME . ?

Should add that at the moment we use the bus service at least once a week - one could suggest that the bal is in the Councils court - continue the bus service and I , for one will give up driving - stop my bus service and I will continue driving !

My father is 74 this year.Better driver than me :-)

Ubique don't give up driving until you really really don't feel safe on the road.  Probably because you keep to the speed limits and don't yak on your mobile you are one of the safer drivers on the road and sadly so many drivers have not got the patience or courtesy for drivers who adhere to the laws of the road.

Mums with children in the back of their cars turning to talk to them youngsters it does not matter which sector there are dodgy drivers in all them. 

I think the point I'm trying to get across is when will the OAP decide to give up,I know two elderly ladies near me one is 92 and the other 86 both still drive but should not be on the road as they are a hazard,they obviously think there fine,so when is the right time,I think a mandatory test for OAP's and every couple of years after that.there needs to be a law for this.ragwert you being 74yrs Young might be a better driver than someone much younger,so I think it is time the law changed.i think the only reason a lot of OAP drivers don't have accidents is due to more experienced drivers avoiding them and predicting there intentions.

Jon - of course I may be wrong BUT I believe that you have a moral ( if not legal ) obligation to speak to their relatives re your suspicions / evidence . If they are not interested I honestly believe that you should advise the Police , ( perhaps start with your local Community Officer or his Senior Officer ) recording their names plus the date you advised them - failing that call the Police Call Centre and report your suspicions / evidence - ask for their Log number . I know that you will think you are a snitch BUT how would you feel if , God forbid , one of these elderly drivers mounted the pavement outside a local school and killed one or more children .you would think about it every day and regret not passing on your concerns to the Authorities .

As an aside but in keeping with age ! Just before Christmas I received a Summons from the Jury Service Office in London summoning me to Hereford Crown Court on the 16th Jan 2016 for Jury Service , read the enclosed form , fill in the form and return it within 7 days ( on fear of death or worse if I failed ) read the booklet - TO OLD FOR JURY SERVICE . Bill Wiggins received an email from me giving my opinion ! Still waiting for a reply . Some Posters on this site know what I do as a volunteer , the Charity I am involved in certainly would not permit me to do what I do if I wasn't capable .

So what I am trying to say is that age should not come into the decision making , each decision should be rationally taken by the person after considering all the factors - I honestly believe that the two ladies Jon has mentioned should not be driving.

Jon - of course I may be wrong BUT I believe that you have a moral ( if not legal ) obligation to speak to their relatives re your suspicions / evidence . If they are not interested I honestly believe that you should advise the Police , ( perhaps start with your local Community Officer or his Senior Officer ) recording their names plus the date you advised them - failing that call the Police Call Centre and report your suspicions / evidence - ask for their Log number . I know that you will think you are a snitch BUT how would you feel if , God forbid , one of these elderly drivers mounted the pavement outside a local school and killed one or more children .you would think about it every day and regret not passing on your concerns to the Authorities .

As an aside but in keeping with age ! Just before Christmas I received a Summons from the Jury Service Office in London summoning me to Hereford Crown Court on the 16th Jan 2016 for Jury Service , read the enclosed form , fill in the form and return it within 7 days ( on fear of death or worse if I failed ) read the booklet - TO OLD FOR JURY SERVICE . Bill Wiggins received an email from me giving my opinion ! Still waiting for a reply . Some Posters on this site know what I do as a volunteer , the Charity I am involved in certainly would not permit me to do what I do if I wasn't capable .

So what I am trying to say is that age should not come into the decision making , each decision should be rationally taken by the person after considering all the factors - I honestly believe that the two ladies Jon has mentioned should not be driving.

I share your opinion Unique, and I also believe people have a moral responsibilty to speak with friends/relatives and possibly even report, it would possibly save lives. Good debate though.  :Thumbs-Up:

Perhaps my last contribution for a while but a moment to comment on this which is a difficult subject.

The 'giving up' of the keys is for many a signal that they are perhaps departing the last station before their final destination. It's hard, very hard for both the one that has sat behind the wheel and that cherished soul mate that has cossetted the passenger seat all those many years fiddling with the radio, passing over the boiled sweets in that paper bag or perhaps if said passenger has four legs licking the flippin window!!

After all we retired here to this place of ours, the countryside, our beautiful home we never considered for a moment that we could one day become trapped, our children displaced throughout the world, and neighbours that we barely know.

Don't get me wrong I have witnessed the tragedy created by failing to "let go" so as already agreed regular assessment over a certain age is crucial but who tells the partner " I'm sorry dear you can't drive anymore because you have the early signs of dementia"? Would it be the wife or husband who has lovingly provided map assistance and perhaps does not drive after all this would be a shared sentence for what is to come. Should it be the son or daughter who perhaps refuses to accept that their parent is about to embark on a new journey for which they will one day fail to be a part of in one form or another.

Difficult.

I should add that I have tried not to make this a sexist statement however post war Britain gave freedoms and access and the motor car was very much a part of this as we know. The bulk of these early road crusaders were men. A man and his car became very much a mistress that lived outside or in the garage and was generally the only 'other woman' accepted by the spouse. The car formed part of his tools, his manhood, his functional purpose in life and for some without it brings dread. Don't get me wrong ladies but it's the hunter gatherer thing.

It's been my experience in life that when a guy has a stroke his recovery depends on his mindset whereas a woman will just get on with it. For him..."will I ever cut the grass, drive my car, paper the walls...all the things that I've been expected to do"...serve and protect.

Signing off.

Good for you, I was unaware of these tests.  :Thumbs-Up:

I have passed two separate defensive driving courses which were organised by companies that I have worked for in order for them to have reduced fleet cover insurance, nevertheless, similar to what you have described above with a few added extras.

I remember when my father had his stoke, he of course was told that he could not drive until he recovered and then he would have to sit a reaction test. After 2-3 years he applied and to sit the test and only just failed the reaction time required. I remember he was so distraught and that was they day he told me that he had lost his independence forever. He was a realist and only ever wanted to sit behind the wheel again if he was safe to do so.

His car had been sitting on the drive during this time and he cried when he eventually had to sell her. Heartbreaking to witness. 

I agree that you like many others have a dilemma with buses considering where you live, I sincerely hope these bus services continue to serve our rural community.  

Hopefully there will be a law by then to assess weather I am fit to drive rather than deciding that for myself

I agree Jon. There should be a mandatory test at a set age for all drivers, airline pilots are tested regular, I appreciate they are responsible for many many passengers but ultimately someone driving dangerously at the wheel of a vehicle could could potentially cause a major accident too. People could be tested at 60 then every 3-5 years.

I am hoping the Megilland will seek out age related stats cover the whole age range .

As I said earlier - we live out in the country 250yds from a bus stop / Service . If the bus service was to stop I would have to consider our position - Mrs U has never passed her driving test so I am the only driver in our home . Do I give up driving and we move nearer to town or do I soldier on until I or Mrs U says "That's it ". We want to stay Independant for as long as we can .

My 94 yr old mother is in a Care Home near Milton Keynes , I made a decision last month that I am no longer prepared to do a round time of over 5 hours just to see her for 10 minutes, after which she tells me to go ( she has dementia so it's understandable ) .

Lots of driving information here:

Holding back the gears:

The ageing process and driver safety

As life expectancy rises, the number of older people in the UK is set to rapidly increase. In twenty years, one in ten people will be over 80 years old and the number of people over 100 will have increased by 475 per cent.

Responding to an older population will become a significant policy issue for transport; a much larger number of people are now requiring help with their mobility and more older people are driving than ever before.

Keeping Older Drivers Safe and Mobile: 

A Survey of Older Drivers

The number of drivers over the age of 70 will double over the next 20 years and there are now over one million licence holders over the age of 80. Enlightened policies and practical actions are needed now to help them keep safe and competently mobile for as long as possible, and to help them decide when the time has come to stop driving. Giving up driving too early places a direct burden on health and other services which can no longer be independently accessed. But, what do older drivers themselves think about the policy agenda and what plans are they making for their future on the road? This study seeks to answer these questions and to give older drivers a voice in this important debate. As well as giving new insights into their views on testing and assessment the report also shows the key role that medical professionals must play in informing people about their options for safe mobility. The IAM believes this report provides useful background information to allow government, insurers, health professionals and car makers to work in partnership with us to ensure that older drivers can remain safely in the driving seat for as long as possible.

I have always felt that compulsory retesting for all drivers every five years would do much to improve driving standards in this country. Post age 60 I would recommend retesting every three years, post 75 every year.

I also advocate regular and stricter retests for licensed Hackney Carriage and Private Hire drivers. I have been one and employed several, so I do know what I'm suggesting.

Observation and appropriate reaction in advance does much to avoid accidents. Driving ain't a competition, it's more about self-preservation.

Just convinced my old dear to ditch the DIY and buy a squeeze and go! Less to think about, now that concentration is gradually being replaced with daydreaming!! Saying that, she maybe a limit lover, avoid Mway, curse if she's overtaken and be the only person to turn a 3point turn into a turn in the road ("oh did I just drive over the pavement, you should've told me")! But she is damn safer than many of the younger drivers on the road. That said I'd still give her a few more years before I become the taxi!

A wise man once said to me, don't drive any faster than your guardian angel can fly. I too have take a AIM course and a Defensive driving course in a LWB transit mid winter! - that has almost prepared me for any situation to arise on the roads. I leave my hooning about on the track!

I also advocate regular and stricter retests for licensed Hackney Carriage and Private Hire drivers. I have been one and employed several, so I do know what I'm suggesting.

How will additional testing stop them 'having a laugh' with their dodgy parking/dodgy 'U' turns/illegal ranking ? 

Not wanting to pre-judge the reasons behind this dreadful crash but the driver was a woman in her 80's ...

JS82435007.jpg

Schoolgirls rushed to hospital after out-of-control car ploughs into pupils outside Toxteth school

Schoolgirls were seriously hurt after an out-of-control car ploughed into pupils outside a Toxteth school.

The driver of a Peugeot, a woman in her 80s, was being treated by paramedics.

Liverpool Echo

How will additional testing stop them 'having a laugh' with their dodgy parking/dodgy 'U' turns/illegal ranking ? 

Please note the use of the word "also" meaning in addition to.

Additional testing would improve over all driving standards and, one hopes, the pride people take in their work.

The council is at fault for licensing far more vehicles than are needed for a city the size of Hereford which leads to ranks overflowing and vehicles obstructing existing parking or parking restrictions. Unfortunately, the law demands that anyone presenting a vehicle suitable for disabled access must be given a licence, or at least it used to before I sold my interests in the trade.

U turns, if carried out safely and legally, are acceptable – yes, I know they aren't always, which is why I advocate *additional* testing to raise driver awareness and standards.

The cost of sufficient Enforcement Officers to police driver conduct would raise the cost of a license to ludicrous levels, compromising the operators' ability to earn a living and therefore vehicle safety and condition.