New Black Bins, Max 4 Bags a Fortnight - f*** Off

Biomech

In the Hereford Times this week(?) there's a piece on the new black bins that will be delivered and a picture of some **** councillor.

It states - and is corroborated on the council website*, that these black wheelie bins must;

Not exceed 4 black bags

Each black bag to not exceed 15kg

Each bag should not exceed 410 x 760 x 915mm

Are you having a f+">:** laugh? Can we get some councillor's input on this please? Maybe the bellend in the paper who thinks this is a good idea.

4 black bags per FORTNIGHT, some families have that per week, this is absolutely ridiculous.

And let me guess, if we exceed the "limits" you'll leave the rubbish on our doorstep with a note, leaving it for 4 weeks just to refuse it again because now it's double.

I tell you what, my rubbish goes in my bin, I pay you pricks to collect it, if you refuse to collect it, I'll be making missed rubbish calls to get you back out and that's going to start to cost you a hell of a lot more.

Also, as I never had response to this before, explain to me what's going to happen as central government are planning to make fortnightly collections illegal. 

https://www.herefordshire.gov.uk/environmental-protection/waste-management/refuse-household-bin-collection/alternate-weekly-bin-collections

Not exceed 4 black bags

Each black bag to not exceed 15kg

Each bag should not exceed 410 x 760 x 915mm

https://www.herefordshire.gov.uk/environmental-protection/waste-management/refuse-household-bin-collection/alternate-weekly-bin-collections

'Your bin will not be collected if it contains garden waste.'

I have never measured bin bags and I won't be starting now ... If the bin lid is closed I don't think the bin crews would have time to root around the contents to measure/count bags. They'd just empty it. 

I currently put out about 3 black bags a month for the weekly collections as I'm quite into recycling ... but I suppose some larger families with young kids' and stuff might want to put out more than 2 black bags a week ... 

Ring Ring! Ring Ring!

Good Morning Caller - you are now connected to Herefordshire Council Switchboard.Please listen carefully to the following options.

Press 1, if you would like to complain about the grass.

Press 2, if you would like to complain about the pot holes.

Press 3, if you would like to complain about the incinerator project and subsequent debt we will be amassing.

Press 4, if you would like to complain about the council selling off/giving away/swapping/transferring valuable assets.

Press 5, if you would like to complain about Mr. Johnson, Mr. Bramer, Mrs.Morgan or Mr Jarvis.

Press 6, if you would like to complain about the burnt out shell in High Town.

Press 7, if you wold like to complain about vulnerable residents day centres begin closed.

Press 8, if you would like to complain about the ludicrous amount of money being spent on Plough Lane HQ.

Press 9, if you would like to complain about directors/managers/heads of service being appointed, after they appear to have failed miserably elsewhere in the country.

Looks like they have run out of buttons to press for the rubbish collection!

I fail to see where the saving is same amount of rubbish - why the black bins why not just put the rubbish in the black bags out on the street for collection like we do now except it is once a fortnight -  duh - is it me?

Whilst some people might put out several bags of rubbish many people who recycle and live on their own might only put one bag out per fortnight.  It will balance itself out.  Bags of dog poo and dirty nappies etc will pose a smelly problem poor bin men they should have a pay rise and face mask! 

Hi Denise, from what I can gather, the bins are to prevent bags being torn open, keep odour down, and hopefully keep the rodents at bay.

I understand that you can apply to have a larger bin provided if you think you're going to need it.

Some properties will not have these bins as there is no suitable access.

Some streets though, will have rows and rows of wheelie bins on show.

Highly attractive.

Not.

I actually don't have a problem with fortnightly collections. (And I live in a street where there will be no wheelie bins!)We recycle loads, and don't produce much black bag waste. I can see it being an issue for a lot of folks though.

I'm sure some people will save on the black bag and just lob the whole lot (nappies, Kitchen slops, sanitary products, dog cr*p) straight into the black bin ... Those bins are going to be pretty nasty and pretty quick ... My weekly sack at the moment is probably 1 Kg if that ... a small sack and probably half the size of the ludicrous bin liner size advice (just assuming the measures are based on the size of the previously issued liners').

Will the Council collect a very small sack off the pavement? As I don't really need a new black bin! 

We are "large" household we will recieve a bigger bin.  This means that i can put out 6 bags a fortnight :Happy_32:  Wahoooo!"  I currently put out 2 or 3 bags a week so that should work for us.  Although im sure i could get one or two more bags in there!

As pointed out earlier it will be impossible for the operatives to check the contents of the bags prior to vehicle loading so we can get away with put anything int here now surely?  Presumbaly it will be a system identical to that in place for the recycling in that they will take the wheelie bin to the vehicle and the vehicle will tip it into the truck?  This emliminates some risks too.  Im not sure i would want to be handling loose black bags all day, with broken glass, sharp cans and what not all vying to rip a gash in your legs!

It may also eliminate the operatives going through our rubbish and taking out what they want.  I have watched bin men do this and reported them earlier this year when i watched them open a bin bag rifle through and remove things and put them in the cab.  This was explained apparently by the fact that it was a rural wagon and they rip open the bags to get more in?  Have you ever heard such bollocks!  So when i asked how do they explain putting things in the cab the boss had no explaination and said he would talk to them. Big deal.  The staff down the tip can be the same.  You see some things being hooked back out, and hear talk of, nah, theres no money in that now.  Correct me if im wrong put do i not commit an offence if i remove something from the waste, be that the tip of someones balck bags?

Back to the subject in hand, did everyone not complain the same way when recycling went once a fortnight?  I think it will work out in the end.  Although mind you, im glad i dont live somewhere like Sherbourne Close!

Just had a holiday in Gwynedd - guess what - their fortnightly collections are to be extended to every three weeks. I fully expect Herefordshire Council to follow on with that in due course. I also noted in the local press that Gwynedd Council spent £118k in the last year replacing broken, stolen or lost bins - has this been factored into our councils alleged 'savings' this scheme will bring?

Along the same linesTwo Wheels, on the news the other week, was a report about Birmingham Councils "Garden Tax" where residents are charged £35.00 per year to take green waste. If you don't pay - they don't take it away. This has led to a huge increase in fly tipping. I wonder what "savings" this has made.

So would I Denise - it would save umpteen trips to the tip!

But, I fear we would be the minority.....and the fly tipping would begin!

As I said on the other thread covering this topic, I don't have a problem paying for green bags, but I do think we should be able to buy them from supermarkets - and not be held to ransom by having to purchase them from the council. We can purchase our own black bags, so why not the green ones???

I fail to see where the saving is same amount of rubbish - why the black bins why not just put the rubbish in the black bags out on the street for collection like we do now except it is once a fortnight -  duh - is it me?

It's because they are refusing to collect the waste in a timely fashion so it will be laying rotting in peoples houses - which means people will leave the bags outside, then it will rot, maggot and breed on the streets.

When my bin comes, is it MY bin? can I sell it? Or is it the councils?

Because if it's still the councils bin, the minute my rubbish goes in it becomes their property and as far as I'm concerned, if it isn't removed, I'll put in a complaint for fly tipping outside my house.

This crap about the lid being closed is bullshit, if they refuse to collect the rubbish and, in turn, forces excess waste into a container that is too small, how the hell can they leave it? Leaving it just adds to the next lot of waste.

WE PAY THE MONEY, DO THE ******* JOB

In other news, I have a bag of grass rotting in my garage - can't go in the bin, can't go in the recycling, rubbish men won't take it. So.... it's still there, stinking the place out. If I'm expected to drive to the tip to dispose of it, they then can expect an invoice to my time and fuel.

My green wheelie bin was MADE IN GERMANY - it says so on the base of it , I know that whist being in the EU it's an open market BUT I sincerely hope that the new black wheelie bin was made in the UK , hopefully England. ( But I doubt it )

I cannot find this story on line, as Biomech stated it was in the printed version, I thought it would have appeared by now! The next edition will be out tomorrow......so if it makes it online, it will be last weeks news!

Perhaps after the storm over HT coverage of Hoople, the editor decided not to put another controversial story up for comment?

It wouldn't be quite as bad if they didn't keep leaving the rubbish in the street. The recyclers are the worst, I've never had a problem with the black bag guys.

If you have a 2mm gap in your green bin - they won't take it. If it's not in the street for them - they won't take it. The woman over the road had her's full to the brim - closed - so had to put an empty cardboard box on top. Needless to say, while an empty cardbox box left ontop of the green bin is clearly for recycling, they knocked it to the ground and left it on the floor.

Well it just goes to show how spoiled we are in Kingstone.  The bin men and recycling men are tops.  I have only had a sticker once but I was trying it on a bit.  Even when cats and the such like rip open bags that are put out too early they pick the stuff up  They are really polite and amazingly hard workers - I take my hat off to them.  

dippyhippy cheers for that - what a laugh!

I've no room for a big black bin - I returned their notification back to them to say as much.

No-one replied surprisingly (hahaha).

I don't want one either, as I already have a small metal dustbin.

I'm just waiting for one to arrive (or not).

Will I be forced to have one?

Could I wheel it away in the middle of the night and hopefully lose it, if they manage to leave one.

Bin wars - love it!!!