I told you it would get worse!

megilleland

As Herefordshire Housing has cleared the area of Sherborne Close a great deal since it was reported on HV may I suggest instead of showing the photo's of rubbish some going back years, to actually show the improvement that has taken place, with maybe the title Improvement in Sherborne Close, Glenda

I'm sorry Glenda but things have only slightly improved in Sherborne Close since my enquiries two weeks ago. To show the improvement means taking a picture of the site immediately after cleaning up when it is done. As reported above:

Finally returning closer to home Sherborne Close is much tidier, although about 10 black bags put out this week for a black bag collection appear to have been left behind on the kerb - so will no doubt be there for another two weeks, if not removed this Tuesday as recycling.

That this topic has attracted over 13,647 views says the problem hasn't been resolved and because it isn't reolved goes back years in time. Unfortunately litter, dog mess and flytipping is becoming accepted as part of the rural and urban scene with those in power unable to come up with a scheme to reduce or prevent it. I've said it before, what is needed is a task force to tackle these issues on our estates and within the city. Maybe a public meeting with the city's Locality Steward for Balfour Beatty can explain their approach to keeping our city and surroundings fresh and attractive.

Speaking to one of Balfour Beatty's operatives last week on GWW the only reason the mattress was not removed earlier was because a ticket had to be issued before the task could be completed. Sounds like a good way of keeping jobsworths in business.

I'm sorry Glenda but things have only slightly improved in Sherborne Close since my enquiries two weeks ago. To show the improvement means taking a picture of the site immediately after cleaning up when it is done. As reported above:

That this topic has attracted over 13,647 views says the problem hasn't been resolved and because it isn't reolved goes back years in time. Unfortunately litter, dog mess and flytipping is becoming accepted as part of the rural and urban scene with those in power unable to come up with a scheme to reduce or prevent it. I've said it before, what is needed is a task force to tackle these issues on our estates and within the city. Maybe a public meeting with the city's Locality Steward for Balfour Beatty can explain their approach to keeping our city and surroundings fresh and attractive.

Speaking to one of Balfour Beatty's operatives last week on GWW the only reason the mattress was not removed earlier was because a ticket had to be issued before the task could be completed. Sounds like a good way of keeping jobsworths in business.

Hi Martin, I think I will go to the first most appropriate post on the topic and use that as the first one and rename it possible Mess Of Sherborne Close? Or suggest a suitable title because I cannot remember what it was originally.

The original title was "I told you it would get worse" refering to the state of litter in the city and estates with specific places highlighted. That Sherborne Close features regularly is that I live close by and therefore provided a perfect example to illustrate my points. I do not think renaming it "Mess of Sherborne Close" is going to achieve anything as it has been an ongoing problem for years and getting worse. There are other places referred to in the topic which I pass everyday on my way to work and clearly visible. A photograph just highlights the state of things. Taking photos after so called clean ups is a waste of time - a comment that informs people that some action has taken is good enough, but we get very few of these.

Litter grot spots in the city could be a title, but you decide as there appears to be pressure to put this matter in the background. 

Megiland said ......but you decide as there appears to be pressure to put this matter in the background.

I hope that there is no pressure to put this matter in the background - if it's a recurring problem it's wants to be recorded , the Company / people responsible for this area should be held responsible - so that they can seek out the persons responsible for this problem and take the required positive action . If not it will continue . - luckily we have a super Poster on the case who,will , I am sure update us .

The original title was "I told you it would get worse" refering to the state of litter in the city and estates with specific places highlighted. That Sherborne Close features regularly is that I live close by and therefore provided a perfect example to illustrate my points. I do not think renaming it "Mess of Sherborne Close" is going to achieve anything as it has been an ongoing problem for years and getting worse. There are other places referred to in the topic which I pass everyday on my way to work and clearly visible. A photograph just highlights the state of things. Taking photos after so called clean ups is a waste of time - a comment that informs people that some action has taken is good enough, but we get very few of these.

Litter grot spots in the city could be a title, but you decide as there appears to be pressure to put this matter in the background. 

Hi Martin

I for one certainly have no intentions of allowing this topic to fall into the background, in fact, the exact opposite! I want to add a photograph to the first post and rename it because right now with the missing posts its a little confusing for anyone just joining the forum. I would of suggested starting a new topic and linking to this one but i think renaming this one would be better and like you have already said it has received over 13,000 visits. I think I need to go into the database for this one.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Nice to see the environment here at Sherborn Close is still being enhanced by inconsiderate fly tipping. I called into Herefordshire Housing today and they said they would react to it. The amazing thing is a Herefordshire Housing vehicle is parked in this area every night. The flytipping is also on council land so maybe we shall see Balfour Beatty spring into action, although they appear to have mown around it last week.

post-2-0-65349100-1431370717.jpgpost-2-0-48108800-1431370757.jpgpost-2-0-03573100-1431370739.jpgpost-2-0-60919300-1431370823.jpg

I have added a recent photo from Martin to the first topic and made Martin the original author again as this topic lost a few replies over time when I archived etc... 

I cannot believe this is still going on and with no resolve in Sherborn Close since before 2010!

Nice to see the environment here at Sherborn Close is still being enhanced by inconsiderate fly tipping. I called into Herefordshire Housing today and they said they would react to it. The amazing thing is a Herefordshire Housing vehicle is parked in this area every night. The flytipping is also on council land so maybe we shall see Balfour Beatty spring into action, although they appear to have mown around it last week.

attachicon.gifsherborne-close-1.jpgattachicon.gifsherborne-close-4.jpgattachicon.gifsherborne-close-3.jpgattachicon.gifsherborne-close-2.jpg

This is the real problem with litter. No point creeping around trying to catch someone dropping a cigarette end. The clapped out mattress is a far bigger problem. And a battered door for that matter. There don't appear to be any bin bags to microscopically sift through to get an address from so it should just be shifted away. 

Roger, Herefordshire Housing has  known for a long time which tenant is responsible for this fly tipping, I have been complaining to them when I was a councillor for the past 5 years, they have cleared the rubbish to be fair but more is dumped within 24 hours of it being cleared. They need to either prosecute them or move these people away from the area, but there again they would start again wherever they lived.

One working week gone by and no reaction to inspecting and cleaning it up as promised by Herefordshire Housing on Monday. There are now breeze-blocks scattered over the verge adding interest for the passerby. Time to e-mail Cllr Edwards and see if he can get the flytipping removed by the end of next week.

Just walked the dogs over the country park by were Cllr Edwards lives and there are 2 mattresses dumped over there near the top of the basket ball pitch in the woods if Cllr Edwards reads this can he do something about it it looks a mess he is going to be very busy around Newton Farm.

Just walked the dogs over the country park by were Cllr Edwards lives and there are 2 mattresses dumped over there near the top of the basket ball pitch in the woods if Cllr Edwards reads this can he do something about it it looks a mess he is going to be very busy around Newton Farm.

Can you grab a photo?

Why have they not put up CCTV in Sherborn Close in order to catch the culprits? 

Best you phone Mr Edwards and see how he handles it. 

Before I went to Barcelona last week I sent an e-mail to Cllr Edwards about the flytipping behind Sherborne Close. Returning yesterday, all the debris on both Herefordshire Housing and Council land has been removed and cleared up - a vast improvement. How long it will be tidy for remains to be seen, but well done to all concerned for moving so quickly.

• 3 weeks later...

Before I went to Barcelona last week I sent an e-mail to Cllr Edwards about the flytipping behind Sherborne Close. Returning yesterday, all the debris on both Herefordshire Housing and Council land has been removed and cleared up - a vast improvement. How long it will be tidy for remains to be seen, but well done to all concerned for moving so quickly.

Good news, hope it stays that way.

• 3 weeks later...

Was contacted by resident today to say that people are dumping rubbish  on the field by Sherborne Close, the resident has taken photo's of the man dumping the rubbish.He came to me for my help, he said he went to the Information centre, they were no help, he then went HHL office they were not helpful told him to go to the council, I told him to contact Phil Edwards the new councillor he said he rang his mobile he hasn't bothered to ring him back, so I told him to get in touch with environmental health and let me know what happens.

Was contacted by resident today to say that people are dumping rubbish  on the field by Sherborne Close, the resident has taken photo's of the man dumping the rubbish.

He could send that photo to the Council via Twitter. Job sorted in about 10 seconds.  :Happy_32:

Roger he doesn't own a computer so he would not know about the social media sites.

I had some 6th Form College litter behind my house. Sent a moan and photo to their Twitter account and strangely they felt obliged to do a litter pick and clear the problem within about a day. You got to think outside the box sometimes. Making a phone call to some Council call centre about fly tipping is pointless. What's he going to do with the photo of this fly tipper? 

More flytipping at Sherborne Close - mattress and black bags. The whole area looks scruffy and also noticed stuff left on pavement at other end of Sherborne Close.

post-2-0-14466700-1436297151.jpg

post-2-0-93659600-1436297212_thumb.jpg

A notice has been put up which spells it out for residents.

post-2-0-11404400-1436297271.jpg

Round the corner there is piece of land backing onto the garages at Muir Close which hasn't been cut for over a year. Is it the Council (Balfour Beatty), Herefordshire Housing or Muir Housing. Can a councillor clarify?

post-2-0-21165100-1436297499.jpg

post-2-0-66141000-1436297510.jpg

Friends of mine went to Weston Super Mare yesterday nothing startling in that you say but what was startling not a spec of rubbish about and somebody litter picking all the time.  Why oh why can one county get it so wrong?  Driving into town via Belmont it struck me how tatty the verges the hedges the lot looked there is no pride any more.  Do these people in office not look around and say something should be done about this - they should have a weekly tour of Hereford - not sit on their backsides deciding how best to waste a bit more money on some frivolous vanity project.

• 4 weeks later...
Following the article in The Hereford Times about what a marvellous job our council are doing regarding recycling and waste collection, the news has been welcomed by former county councillor, John Newman, who had raised concerns that the alternate collections would see rubbish dumping and related vermin infestation when the idea was first considered back in the spring of 2014.

Here are a collection of photos taken today on my ride to work. All were taken between Muir Close and Goodrich Grove a distance of 400 metres.

post-2-0-44260000-1438628562.jpgpost-2-0-03484500-1438628597.jpg

post-2-0-03587100-1438628640.jpgpost-2-0-83781400-1438628662.jpg

post-2-0-09023800-1438628688.jpgpost-2-0-90026500-1438628715.jpg

These piles of rubbish have been festering on the streets for between one and two weeks and no-one is concerned especially the Council and Herefordshire Housing. The label states that the black bags will not be removed because they contain unacceptable items. Does that mean they will be perpetually gracing our environment?