I told you it would get worse!

megilleland

Oh those photos.....what an absolute disgrace.

This county is soon going to disappear underneath a huge mound of refuse.

Where has people's pride in where they live gone???

You make a point Dippy because it does come down to people and attitudes. I'm not seeing the same picture in my neighbourhood and reports from the council suggest recycling is up.

If the problem lies around areas where there are flats then please just give them more bins because at least rubbish is disposed of even if recycling suffers. It must cost more for someone to come back and put right and I guess if you are struggling to make ends meet on a daily basis then the last thing on your mind is to read a bloody notice on a bag telling why it ain't gonna get collected this week or at least until the dogs and cats have assisted in its breaking down process.

You make a point Dippy because it does come down to people and attitudes. I'm not seeing the same picture in my neighbourhood and reports from the council suggest recycling is up.

You nailed it in one. 

With all those recently posted photo's I suggest that The Council have 3 Options. Clear it up. Ignore it. Or go through it with a fine toothed comb to identify some carelessly discarded evidence with ID on it. Then prosecute someone with no means to pay the multi hundred pound fine that would ensue. I would choose option #1

Called into Herefordshire Housing this morning to draw their attention to further litter louting. It appears that some bags were taken from the shop and spread about the skate park. Why are they not using steel bins which can be locked to stop this constant mess?

The refrigerator and black bags are still in Sherborne Close. (see post 90)

post-2-0-76589600-1439240188.jpg

post-2-0-68541400-1439240254.jpg

post-2-0-19554000-1439240215.jpg

post-2-0-41644700-1439240279.jpg

post-2-0-94924500-1439240295.jpg

Coalition of campaign groups and businesses back cleanup plan in a letter to the Guardian, urging the government to ‘provide or stimulate funding’

Letter in The Guardian, Friday 14 August 2015

As a nation the UK spends approximately £1bn a year clearing up litter. The vast majority of people believe that dropping litter is unacceptable, yet levels of littering are at their worst levels for a decade.

Littering affects us all – making our local spaces dirtier, less welcoming, and encouraging antisocial behaviour. Reducing litter is fundamentally a question of changing behaviour, and it is up to all of us to take action.

That is why we are putting our names to a Litter Manifesto committing to make our local spaces cleaner, safer and more inviting.

The government can lead the way by creating a national strategy that has teeth, and providing or stimulating funding.

Businesses, NGOs and local authorities need to work together to raise litter up the agenda, and support innovative schemes nationwide. We should learn from successful campaigns abroad, like Don’t Mess with Texas, which created a sense of community spirit that engages with young people.

It’s time for a fresh approach to put litter in its place.

Trewin Restorick CEO-founder, Hubbub UK
Allison Ogden-Newton Chief executive, Keep Britain Tidy
John Read Founder-director, Clean Up Britain
Howard Gray Head of sustainability and distribution, McDonald’s Restaurants Ltd
Alex West Senior manager, Corporate Affairs, UK & Ireland, The Wrigley Company Ltd
Richard Searle Chief executive, Packaging Federation
Brigid Simmonds OBE Chief executive, Beer and Pub Association
Gavin Partington Director general, British Soft Drinks Association
Bridget Jackson Director of Corporate Sustainability, PwC
Ian Humphreys CEO, Keep Northern Ireland Beautiful
Sue Kinsey Senior pollution policy officer, Marine Conservation Society
Philip Law Director general, British Plastics Federation
Jane Bickerstaffe Director, Industry Council for research on Packaging and the Environment (Incpen)
Robert Hunt Chief corporate officer, Veolia
Adrian Whyle Resource efficiency senior manager, PlasticsEurope

Maybe they can start by collecting the black bags and fly tipping that are still lying on the ground at Sherborne Close now coming up for 6 weeks and which Herefordshire Housing and Balfour Beatty are incapable of removing.

"Don’t Mess with Texas" seems a good message. I wonder what Herefordshire's message would be "Here you can chuck it anywhere".

That letter is a waste of time. When was the last time someone was prosecuted locally for dumping a sofa in a lay-by? Or throwing a shopping trolley into The Wye? 

More likely a litter prosecution, or ticket, is some old codger dropping a *** end.

Go down Commercial Street and there might be the odd crisp packet blowing about but the disused doorways are more unwelcoming. Just years of neglect. 

No Roger I think it is where knobs have taken bags of litter from by the shop and spread them out on the grass.  Any suggestions how best to instil pride in the area that people live in.

See Meggieland's post 

Maybe this is where the GWW CCTV's should start, catch the buggers in the action! Has this been reported to the Council in order for it to be cleared asap does anyone know?

Maybe this is where the GWW CCTV's should start, catch the buggers in the action! Has this been reported to the Council in order for it to be cleared asap does anyone know?

The mess was cleaned up by Herefordshire Housing the next day - its their land. Balfour Beatty did not want to know.

• 2 weeks later...

So post #90 was cleared ..... Reminder below ....

post-2-0-09023800-1438628688.jpg

...only to replaced by a bigger and better pile of rubbish! 

I'd draw a direct comparison with 'The Jungle' at Calais. If we let those 3000 dwellers in then a bigger and better 'Jungle' would pop up! 

Meanwhile The Council will be hiding around corners trying to spot some low hanging fruit dropping a stray *** end so as to issue that all important ticket. Or even more frequently trawling streets to catch out technical parking offences which are causing little or no issues! 

The Council have lost the plot with their priorities! They are just like a rabbit in a headlight looking at free cash! 

• 3 weeks later...

I always found when I was the councillor HHL did nothing unless I threatened going to the press. Speaking to residents in Pixley walk on Friday morning there is rubbish starting to being dumped there as well. If the residents association gets off the ground I have already had residents from Brampton road, Pixley walk, Sherborne close and the new houses complaining to me when we met on the doorstep over the past week.

• 1 month later...

We need a new pic I think ..... Is the fridge door still there ? Or the trash ? 

Herewith Roger a new pic as requested. I think you would call this a still life, it hasn't moved since 3rd August 2015 and the authorities tell us they carry out numerous inspections - I don't believe them. I wait to see this pile decorated with christmas lights to brighten up this bighted area.

Also I have just swept up the grass behind Muir Close garages, which Balfour Beatty cut a month ago, and left in heaps for the local kids to pick up and chuck all over the garage roofs and footpaths. Like Great Western Way the grass had turned the footpath behind the garages into a slippery surface and someone could have slipped and injured themselves, but nobody seems to care or do anything about it.

post-2-0-83781400-1438628662.jpg

Sorry, a momentarily lapse.

attachicon.gifSherborne-Nov-2015.jpg

It's a shambolic disgrace what's going on there. And that Skateboarding sign has now fallen off it's pole. I'd be tempted to contact the Ward Councillor if I was you. It's Phil Edwards. Apparently he can easily be found mowing in Belmont most days. In fact I'm disappointed he's not over that already.  :Hmm: