Hereford Bypass Paused!

Hereford Voice

Hereford Bypass Paused!

1183218576_HerefordVoiceBypassPaused.thumb.jpg.c37511230024664eb2cfa0d201b4becd.jpg

A cabinet member decision has been taken today to pause and review the Hereford bypass and Southern link road schemes.

Cllr John Harrington, Cabinet Member for Infrastructure and Transport, said:

“Following a change of administration and with time to reflect, it has now been decided to pause all work on the Hereford bypass and Southern link road to allow further time to review these schemes in more detail and look at other options. There are many complex issues that need to be considered and it is very important to examine these thoroughly.

“The views of residents, commuters and local businesses are very important to us. It is vital that travel, transport and infrastructure developments in Hereford support the economy, help to improve health and wellbeing and make Herefordshire a better place to live, work and visit. We also need to ensure we effectively respond to the climate emergency declared by Herefordshire Council and the Government.

“As part of this review it is important to consider alternative options. For example this will include infrastructure for cyclists and pedestrians (including safe routes to school), an eastern river crossing and trialling the removal of some traffic signals. It could also include options for an electric bus service, improving school bus services and an ultra-light rail system.

“All options need to be considered as we look to the long term and towards providing a high quality, integrated and low carbon transport system for the whole of Herefordshire, not just for the immediate future but for generations to come.”

What are your thoughts on this discision? 

This is never going to happen, it frustrates the hell out of me as the main A49 trunk road comes right thorough our city, I do not believe for one second these stats showing that the majority of the traffic is local traffic, virtually EVERY lorry coming from Wales and heading north through Shropshire and Cheshire will drive through Hereford.

I agree we need a better more reliable bus services etc because what we have now is a joke and I also like the idea of turning off the traffic lights, which I am aware Hereford Voice have campaigned to at least get a trial for many years, so with some luck this may come to fruition.

Personally, I always preferred the Eastern bypass route.

Ah! Politicians don't you just love them

Whether you want no bypass or one to the east or one to the west after decades what we want and expect is a decision

Countless studies and reports have been made so why do they need more

Instead of making a decision they fudge it.

What do you expect of gutless politicians? 

I agree with everything Aylestone Voice has written, this was supposed to happen 50 years ago instead we got the Greyfriars bridge. The route from the south was to get houses built which in my opinion  would just make the matter worse and there is no outlet to get to the north from the south. HC over the years have just wasted tax payers money on many fanciful things that cost more than the original price in the end. 

In  regard to the new council alliance I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them. After just one week of being in office the Herefordshire Independent leader left the Alliance with some of the Independents because IOC caused a lot of trouble and the election promises the Alliance made to the electorate  were immediately abandoned. You CANT TRUST THEM!!!

6 hours ago, Glenda Powell said:

I agree with everything Aylestone Voice has written, this was supposed to happen 50 years ago instead we got the Greyfriars bridge. The route from the south was to get houses built which in my opinion  would just make the matter worse and there is no outlet to get to the north from the south. HC over the years have just wasted tax payers money on many fanciful things that cost more than the original price in the end. 

In  regard to the new council alliance I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them. After just one week of being in office the Herefordshire Independent leader left the Alliance with some of the Independents because IOC caused a lot of trouble and the election promises the Alliance made to the electorate  were immediately abandoned. You CANT TRUST THEM!!!

I wouldn't trust any Politician or Councillor . 

16 hours ago, Alex said:

I cannot believe they have paused this bypass WTF! They will end up losing all funding in the end, this is not happening now, I think this indecision speaks absolute volumes. :Angry:

There wasn't any funding (and there is no money we are constantly told) - the government didn't see the case for a bypass and had refused any funding. That was part of the issue. No potholes are filled  because all that money is going to consultants. The Council were relying on the Marches LEP and contributions from developers but it was obvious that wasn't going to raise anywhere near enough. So they would have borrowed it, interest rates rise and then what? The County goes bust or, more likely, is taken over by South Shropshire. Definitely the right decision in my opinion. The crucial thing now is how they follow through with alternatives to properly manage traffic flows.

• Like 1

On 10/08/2019 at 09:49, twowheelsgood said:

There wasn't any funding (and there is no money we are constantly told) - the government didn't see the case for a bypass and had refused any funding. That was part of the issue. No potholes are filled  because all that money is going to consultants. The Council were relying on the Marches LEP and contributions from developers but it was obvious that wasn't going to raise anywhere near enough. So they would have borrowed it, interest rates rise and then what? The County goes bust or, more likely, is taken over by South Shropshire. Definitely the right decision in my opinion. The crucial thing now is how they follow through with alternatives to properly manage traffic flows.

Did we not get some money out of an infrastructure development pot ?

NO' HHL money is used on the various contract for building of new or replacement housing, recent development  in South Wye started off 8 years ago with the Oval Regeneration in Newton Farm, Brummy Stokes Court, and at the end of this year replacement of Prefabs in Beattie Ave in Hunderton, they have two developments in the City, as well developments North of the City. HHL and Shropshire Council have amalgamated they are now named Conexus just in case anyone didn't know.

Good to see a sensible editorial comment in HT re the western road to facilitate house building. The facts are there for all to see who can be bothered to read the various reports over the years. This poor attempt at a bypass was more to do with house building that would end with worse traffic issues on Whitecross Rd Three Elmes Rd and Kings Acre Rd. Bypasses by their very nature should bypass not be a link to house building. Also the plan was to build the bridge over the Wye last, so at least 5 to 7 years in the future leaving developers free to use the road for purely house building. Hopefully now plans will develop to build an Eastern bridge first to ease the issues in the City. Electric buses can be purchased and the light rail can be looked at. Hereford has taken to the Berly bikes better than expected. The County is moving in the right direction on a transport front the new administration is a breath of fresh air after years of neglect.

• Like 2