Hereford Traffic

twowheelsgood

Traffic westbound today has been a total nightmare - Ledbury Road into town - I gave up this morning after moving 200 yards in 20 minutes and tried again this afternoon. For some reason the right turn into Widemarsh Street has been shut and this seemed to be the cause of it. Incredible that traffic continues to be balanced on such a knife edge. Obviously the traffic lights weren't re-sequenced to take into account the closure. The cost to business and the environmental pollution is mind boggling, but, as ever, the Plough Lane pen pushers were safely ensconced in meetings, happy that they will be paid handsomely no matter how badly they do their jobs.

What is it about the traffic these last few days? It doesn't cause me much of a problem as I now cycle everywhere but the other evening I noticed that before 6pm the Greyfriars Bridge heading north was completely deserted of traffic. Not a single car on the entire dual carriageway at that time in the evening. I was so surprised I have never seen it empty. Is it because the Council are once again consulting on their latest plans for a Transport Plan for Hereford? Whenever they consult about traffic they seem to deliberately make the congestion worse than usual by mucking up the phasing of the lights as a starter. Closing a road or two is an optional extra.

• 3 weeks later...

Traffic once again a nightmare today around noon - it took me 55 minutes to get from Ledbury Road to Grandstand Road (I had a large heavy delivery to make)! The whole city log jammed. I heard on H & W that temporary traffic lights on Belmont Road were causing problems - is that all it takes to grind the City to a halt?! The cost to business must be mind boggling. Yet those in power do nothing and those who pay their wages can do nothing. Honestly, it makes me want to move to the middle of Wales ... 

Traffic once again a nightmare today around noon - it took me 55 minutes to get from Ledbury Road to Grandstand Road (I had a large heavy delivery to make)! The whole city log jammed. I heard on H & W that temporary traffic lights on Belmont Road were causing problems - is that all it takes to grind the City to a halt?! The cost to business must be mind boggling. Yet those in power do nothing and those who pay their wages can do nothing. Honestly, it makes me want to move to the middle of Wales ... 

Well of course as you probably know Highways England are a law unto themselves as far as the A49 are concerned.

The Council are trying to do something - build a by-pass. Whether you agree with it or not at least when there are serious or not so serious problems at least some traffic will be able to avoid the city and the reality is that only very few of us will not use our cars

Belmont Road isn't the A49 and, let's be realistic, a bypass is, according to the Council, 5 years away to a 'phased opening', which in reality means 10 years away, if not more. A lot can happen in that time, not the least a couple of elections, Jim Kenyon running the Council, the hugely over-budget western bypass cancelled and the eastern one started all over again ... The Council are doing absolutely nothing about current traffic - which we all know is hidebound by the useless, outdated traffic lights that blight every road, with dozens more to come on the link road. 

Today we left our home in the Burghill area at 12.20 to drive to the Hospital to collect somebody from the dropping off area , I then drove to Hereford Crematorium , Arriving there at 13.20 - so 1 hour to drive no more than 9 miles . On the route I used I saw nothing which would encourage a holdup.

90% of the Cities traffic lights are on a timed loop meaning no ground sensors.The SCOOT system is dead.
I have sent in numerous complaints about the ground sensors not working on the Blackfriars Street lights,ignored
Makes you think if someone is doing this on purpose.

Maybe if the next government gets a free hand they will crack on with building the bypass and damn the democratic process!!

I will say however that I believe Mrs May took a punt on holding this election and we will land up with a hung parliament...what do you think of that then? Not quite the mandate the lady wanted which could mean another election further down the line.

Maybe if the next government gets a free hand they will crack on with building the bypass and damn the democratic process!!

I will say however that I believe Mrs May took a punt on holding this election and we will land up with a hung parliament...what do you think of that then? Not quite the mandate the lady wanted which could mean another election further down the line.

Prescient that you should mention the democratic process - here we have the Councils timetable for the bypass where it would seems that planning permission is a given ...

post-858-0-21238500-1496958763_thumb.png

By 'next government', I take it you are referring to the busted flush known as The Supreme Leader', propped up by a handful of Ulster bigots opposed to abortion and same sex marriage. It won't even survive the summer.

Traffic equally awful again this afternoon - I assume it was the same temporary roadworks, but who knows. I achieved the staggering average speed of 3mph for my journey across town (and that was heading away from the centre) - again I had another delivery, as I normally cycle anywhere in the City where my average speed is probably 12mph.

I think on another post someone said that a talk from Balfour Beatty is being given tomorrow evening by the Civic Society. I understand that the man talking has responsibility for the traffic light system in Hereford so perhaps he can tell us how out of date and uncoordinated it is. 

Despite cycling I have noticed that the traffic has been bad again today. If the Council are trying to attract funding for a "bypass" there is no incentive for them to reduce congestion as that would defy the reason for the pet project they cannot afford.

I think on another post someone said that a talk from Balfour Beatty is being given tomorrow evening by the Civic Society. I understand that the man talking has responsibility for the traffic light system in Hereford so perhaps he can tell us how out of date and uncoordinated it is. 

Despite cycling I have noticed that the traffic has been bad again today. If the Council are trying to attract funding for a "bypass" there is no incentive for them to reduce congestion as that would defy the reason for the pet project they cannot afford.

Yes tonight.

One of my e-mails to Highways was about the unnecessary need for the traffic lights on Newmarket Roundabout.

I was told the reason why they could not be removed was because of the close proximity of the pedestrian crossing on Edgar Street.

I argued back that the pedestrian crossing was there way before the traffic lights were I received no reply..

These lights need at the very least to be made part time.Why do people who do not live in Hereford of ever go through Hereford

not listen to those who do?

Why do people who do not live in Hereford of ever go through Hereford

not listen to those who do?

Because they believe they know best…when in fact they are just plan arrogant jobs worth who are clueless chance'rs just winging it!!

Responsibilities

The previous incumbent was responsible for:

high speed rail (HS2)
devolution including Northern Powerhouse
motoring agencies
local transport
road and vehicle safety and standards
buses and taxis
traffic management
sustainable accessible travel (including walking and cycling)
smart ticketing

Osbourne's pet project the 'Northern Powerhouse' seems to be flailing around with endless chiefs and no real results, save no doubt for lots of expensive meetings.

• 3 weeks later...

News story

Government publishes £6.1 billion programme of upgrades to major roads and motorways

From: Department for Transport, Highways England, and Jesse Norman MP

Part of: Road network and traffic

Published: 30 June 2017

£6.1 billion programme of road improvements announced as part of the government's £23 billion upgrade to the road network in England.

Transport Minister Jesse Norman has unveiled a £6.1 billion programme of road improvements as part of the government’s £23 billion upgrade to the road network in England.

Road users will benefit from shorter journey times, reduced congestion and increased capacity on roads, creating better local connections and improved passenger journeys as a result of these projects.

This includes the route for the new A19 Downhill Lane junction which has been published today (30 June 2017). The new junction will support the new international manufacturing park by significantly increasing road capacity, easing traffic and improving safety — as well as boosting the local economy.

Over the coming 6 months, the government will take the next steps on 55 road improvements across the country, including opening 8 schemes, consulting on 10 schemes and publishing final plans for another 29 schemes.

Transport Minister Jesse Norman said:

Road users across England should soon be seeing the benefits of these improvements in their daily lives, which are designed to link people better with their jobs, friends, family and local amenities, as well as connecting businesses with customers.

Over the next 6 months we expect to roll out our vital upgrade plan — taking next steps on £6.1 billion-worth of schemes and seeking to hear from local people, organisations and businesses to help shape our plans and ensure they benefit local communities.

And shortly I also plan to announce the winners of the 2017 to 2018 highways maintenance challenge fund, where the government will be investing £75 million to improve smaller local roads including through resurfacing, filling potholes and other infrastructure projects. (Herefordshire Council application here)

No mention of Herefordshire in the schemes, but then that may be a conflict of interest. Perhaps there will be a few shovel fulls of tar left over for our potholes?

News story

Government publishes £6.1 billion programme of upgrades to major roads and motorways

From: Department for Transport, Highways England, and Jesse Norman MP

Part of: Road network and traffic

Published: 30 June 2017

No mention of Herefordshire in the schemes, but then that may be a conflict of interest. Perhaps there will be a few shovel fulls of tar left over for our potholes?

Don't hold your breath

• 1 month later...

Just love these two quotes about additional funding for Herefordshire roads:

Councillor Barry Durkin, Herefordshire Council Cabinet Member for Transport and Roads, said:

“Herefordshire Council is thrilled that our successful partnership with Balfour Beatty Living Places has been recognised by the Department for Transport. The £8 million will be invested into 25.5 miles of carriageway resurfacing, 12.4 miles of surface dressing and 1 mile of carriageway rejuvenation works to some of the county’s most important routes, making this the second largest highway maintenance scheme in the country.

“This is a major investment in Herefordshire, supporting the growth of the Enterprise Zone and industry across the county, enabling the local economy to prosper. The work will commence this month to the A4103, A438 and A465 and will provide great connectivity, helping to power the Midlands Engine.â€

Dr Alisdair MacDonald, Contract Director at Balfour Beatty Living Places, said:

“We are delighted that Herefordshire has been awarded the Challenge Funding from the Department for Transport. This will enable us to further improve Herefordshire’s road network for the local community and boost the region’s competitiveness and attractiveness to businesses. Competition for the funding was strong, and we believe that the strength of our Highways Asset Management capability resulted in securing this positive outcome.â€

All for 38.9 miles of road. Good value for money? Two deluded individuals.

That still leaves 1980 miles of roads (and drains) in a diabolical state. The 'Midlands Engine' - who comes up with this bilge - can't wait to see a whole 1 mile of 'rejuvenated' highway!

rejuvenation |rɪdÊ’uËvəˈneɪʃ(É™)n

noun [mass noun

the action or process of making someone or something look or feel better, younger, or more vital ...

• 4 weeks later...

Now I here a perfect storm is coming...the Lugg bridge will be closed until at least end of September...the A49 closures north of the city and the subsequent diversions around Aylestone combined with the absolute rubbish time delay at the Morrison's lights and the college's and schools back next week....absolutely perfect.

Now I here a perfect storm is coming...the Lugg bridge will be closed until at least end of September...the A49 closures north of the city and the subsequent diversions around Aylestone combined with the absolute rubbish time delay at the Morrison's lights and the college's and schools back next week....absolutely perfect.

You're right greenknight, if this does all conspire at once we might as well get our shovels out, if we start now we can probably build our own private underground infrastructure more quickly than you'll be able to drive across Hereford.

Ironically, my autocorrect tried to tell me your username was greenlight!!