Various Members Using Several Alias's

Colin James

Because Greenknight you have not stepped out of line and received a warning from Colin so it is something to be relieved about.

Colin well done for sorting this sorry state of affairs out and I hope some form of peace and harmony will now be restored.  You Colin and Dippy play such a vital part to the success of this site and hope in time Dippy will feel able to contribute once again.

People are such extraordinary creatures I would not have the inclination to hack into somebody's elses account nor the knowledge.  

Colin can you just answer me a question how many people have access to an individual's messenger service apart from the send and the recipient(s)?

Denise, the only people that can access the messenger system are you and the recipient.

As the administrator, I have access to the database and would only access such information if a breach of security occurred. Rest assured I have no desire to troll through thousands upon thousands of lines of text within the database unless I found it really necessary as in this case recently.  

I have spoken at length with dippyhippy over the past week and exchanged emails and I have concluded that this person and their topics and posts to be completely 100% genuine, which I must stress, I thought this to be the case all along, nevertheless, some unusual activity raised the alarm and I had to investigate. 

• 1. To clear this members name and reputation
  • 2. Check the security of the forum.
  • 3. Protect private details of this member

This account had been used by another IP and I was concerned it may of become compromised as in the case of Maverick. This has now been resolved and additional security measures have been implemented. I am not going into all the security details involved.

dippyhippy's account is no longer suspended and able to access the forum. I apologise for any inconvenience or stress this may have caused this member. 

Some new security measures have been implemented to immediately highlight anything of this nature reoccurring.

Never go by ip addresses, there are so many different ways to access the net now that the Ip  address could be completely different. Tablets can be tethered to mobile phones, some even got sims in them.  Most peoples Ip addreses change anyway as most providers in this country uses dynamic addresses.

I do agree with other people on here that this should have been sorted behind  closed doors as to speak and not put into the open, never known it to happen on other forums.

Never go by ip addresses, there are so many different ways to access the net now that the Ip  address could be completely different. Tablets can be tethered to mobile phones, some even got sims in them.  Most peoples Ip addreses change anyway as most providers in this country uses dynamic addresses.

I do agree with other people on here that this should have been sorted behind  closed doors as to speak and not put into the open, never known it to happen on other forums.

With respect, I have been running forums and websites for near on 20 years. Of course it is not just down to IP Addresses but I am not going to go into the full details. As for doing this behind the scenes, yes, I agree, I could of done that and I am sure others may or may not agree with you, however, I have aways believed in transparency and that is what I have done here. If there is nothing to hide then members have nothing to fear and should welcome any investigation.

With respect, I have been running forums and websites for near on 20 years. Of course it is not just down to IP Addresses but I am not going to go into the full details. As for doing this behind the scenes, yes, I agree, I could of done that and I am sure others may or may not agree with you, however, I have aways believed in transparency and that is what I have done here. If there is nothing to hide then members have nothing to fear and should welcome any investigation.

I like the way you have handled this Colin and I agree, transparency is the best way. We are all to quick to criticise councils and other authorities for not being transparent and now you are being criticised for being transparent! You can't win. In my opinion you have been 100% all through this, so keep up the good work.  :Thumbs-Up:

I am genuinly pleased that dippy and flam's accounts are clear and look forward to seeing them back doing what they do best. It will be good to get the forum back to normal. I applaud Colin for sharing and being very transparent during this process because that is the best way imo. 

After a lot of thought, I have decided to disable the reputation/arrows + and - from the system as a trial. Although this system has its benefits I believe it can also fuel and cause unnecessary animosity between members. If this proves to be successful in restoring some harmony again for some members then I will leave it disabled permanently.

This is a very good decision.

I vaguely recall the name blevs02@yahoo.co.uk, oh well I'm sure there is good reason even though sometimes were better off not knowing.

These members I have been monitoring for quite sometime and although they are not that active they had logged in as one another and also exchanged some disturbing details using messenger which proved their guilt. 

We need transparency over these allegations I think. As this Forum is now at the forefront of transparency. Are we on to IP issues again ? And what is the vague outline of the 'disturbing' messenger content ? 

We need transparency over these allegations I think. As this Forum is now at the forefront of transparency. Are we on to IP issues again ? And what is the vague outline of the 'disturbing' messenger content ? 

Colin has been pretty fair and upfront imo i do not think he will give out specifics.

An interesting few days!

I must say, I was intrigued when this thread first made an appearance. Intrigued, but not in the slightest bit concerned, as my conscience is clear.(So I slept incredibly well!)

However, as events unfolded, and my posting name was thrown into the mix....I was baffled as to what on earth could have caused this. I have never even been able to post a handy link.... let alone have the technical know how to create multiple accounts!

As I said to Colin, in one of several emails at this point in proceedings, the integrity of my online persona is extremely important to me, because it accurately reflects and represents me. Love me or loathe me, this is who I am. I was more than happy for Colin to access any area of my account he liked....I had nothing to hide!

Just to clarify, Dippy is the only posting name I have ever used - here or HT - and I 100% stand by every word I have ever tapped upon this keyboard!

Finally, but most importantly, I'd like to thank Grid Knocker, Two Wheels and especially my dear friend Bobby. Your kind words in my defence were appreciated more than you will ever know. I'm so glad you had such faith in your blogging buddy, and knew that the honest character you know as Dippy, would never deceive in this fashion.

Drinks at The Commercial are most definitely on me, next meet up.

An interesting few days!

I must say, I was intrigued when this thread first made an appearance. Intrigued, but not in the slightest bit concerned, as my conscience is clear.(So I slept incredibly well!)

However, as events unfolded, and my posting name was thrown into the mix....I was baffled as to what on earth could have caused this. I have never even been able to post a handy link.... let alone have the technical know how to create multiple accounts!

As I said to Colin, in one of several emails at this point in proceedings, the integrity of my online persona is extremely important to me, because it accurately reflects and represents me. Love me or loathe me, this is who I am. I was more than happy for Colin to access any area of my account he liked....I had nothing to hide!

Just to clarify, Dippy is the only posting name I have ever used - here or HT - and I 100% stand by every word I have ever tapped upon this keyboard!

Finally, but most importantly, I'd like to thank Grid Knocker, Two Wheels and especially my dear friend Bobby. Your kind words in my defence were appreciated more than you will ever know. I'm so glad you had such faith in your blogging buddy, and knew that the honest character you know as Dippy, would never deceive in this fashion.

Drinks at The Commercial are most definitely on me, next meet up.

Nice response dippy and I am pleased to see you, I don't believe your good name was ever in doubt it was more about your account among others is how I read it anyway. Glad I don't have the job of the admin but fairplay he cleared your good name when he explained that your account was clear and you were 100% genuine.

Thank you.

One thing I did forget to do, was to respond to observations made in post 56.

There have been many, many references to other forums/social media sites on Hereford Voice - Bulls Banter and Hereford Times both spring to mind. Some comments have been positive, others negative. These have been made by a wide range of posters, myself included. Are we no longer allowed to refer to these in our views, whilst posting on here??

For the record, my positive comments about HV have far outweighed any criticism. However in this case, this is what happened.....

1. I do not lie!

2. I had not acknowledged/accepted any warning given via this forum.

3. Because of this, I was blocked from commenting on threads.

4. Colin, as a gesture of goodwill, has removed the warning that I was issued. To be fair to others, he has also removed theirs.

5. Even when the warning had been officially removed, I was still blocked from responding because of gremlins in the system!

In my opinion, the most important forum rule, is that members are responsible for the content they post.

I wholeheartedly endorse this view. As I've said, I stand by every comment I have ever made.

My only regret? I should not have said I will never contribute again. That was hasty, and "never" is an incredibly long time! So I reserve the right to pop up now and again..... but for now, a dignified silence is perhaps the best way forward!

My fondest regards to all who tap.

Never is indeed a very long time.  You have already been missed Dippy and I am very glad this unholy mess has now been sorted out.  Dippy you have written so much to be very proud of.  One of your greatest moments has to be The Old Boys Home without you highlighting  the plight of this building it would be rubble by now!   I'm glad you are ok and haven't walked away forever!