Buskers, chuggers and beggers

Bilbobobby

Have you noticed an increase in 'chuggers' spread 3/4 times a week across the city centre - are they locally regulated, do you get p..s.d off by being ambushed every 50m. Do you support the street buskers who do bring a bit of colour and vibrance to the area (deflecting the bomb site eye sore). Lastly should beggers be tolerated if polite and not the usual suspects who ask for a bit of change and then spend it on drink or drugs. Is Hereford any different to other similar size towns/cities...debate and views - politely and not by pointing the usual finger of blame please...

The so called 'chuggers' are my only real moan. Usually an agile young student aged person (with bib and clipboard) who can intercept me even tho I saw them from 50 yards away.  :Happy_32:

Begging is more lucrative tho. I've spoken to someone who made £200 sitting in the passage down the side of Maccies in Town! In one Day! Crazy! ~ 

I regularly give to my chosen local charity and I will leave loose change in charity boxes. I will occasionally drop a few quid into the buskers box. Hate being stopped by people with clipboards.

I bought a chap (begging) a coffee, sausage and chips outside the chippy one evening, he thanked me gave his dog the sausage and then said "I would rather of had the money" I was quite taken back with that comment. 

I too would never give my details to a chugger.

Having said that, they do not bother me, as its not that hard to say no, even if you have to say it more than once or several times as you traverse through High Town. Definitely recall seeing these type in most other towns/cities I've visited. I also saw that Maylords seem to allow these types onto their land also.

Buskers I'm fine with, though some can be a bit loud.

Beggars unsettle me more, partly cos it jars my social conscience and partly cos it creates a negative image for the city centre. It is sad the folk are driven to beg and not easy to separate those who are genuinely desperate and those flagging it to fuel addictions (though I accept they are desperate too)

I realised some time ago that when one reaches three score and ten the chuggers aren't bothered with you so a number if you have a lot to look forward to !

Re beggars - I like others will nip into Greggs or similar and buy a coffee and a sausage roll for him. He then has two choices.

Short story , a couple of " homeless " men used to go into a charity shop Mrs U was a volunteer at and ask if they had any dog food for their dog which was being looked after by a mate . They were given enough tins to last the next 7 days . The Charity shop were then told that they were selling / swapping the tins for drugs ! So no more tins for them but genuine case still do get free dog food for their dog.

Grid Knocker said

Good street musicians: most definitely YES, especially if it's my friend Richard, the accordionist who comes all the way from Birmingham, to play outside M&S

Have to keep an eye on M&S when Richard is playing - just in case Grid Knocker is the supporting act singing My Way or other suitable songs.

I've never seen a Charity Collector as I exit Lidl. Morrisons seem to have random people ambushing you every day in Hereford. Very irritating. 

I don't mind seeing some of them but as you say they do have their fair quota in Morrisons.

I get angry when they ask you to donate though

Quite like the buskers, not so the chuggers and beggars.

I see the Council are also aksing for views on the markets http://www.newsroom.herefordshire.gov.uk/2015/september/local-views-and-new-traders-wanted-for-hereford’s-outdoor-markets.aspx I have to say that the Weds/Sat market is okay, but the last time I attended the Farmers Market it was dismal - only a few traders. I remember when there was a lot more.

If you research the HT or court results you will see the police have obtained 3 criminal behaviour orders for anti social behaviour including begging in an aggressive manner. One of those has been breached and the offender sent to prison (not just because of this). I know there are 2 more similar applications in the court system for begging. So whats my point...I can say that asking for a CBO is not taken lightly and is as the result of every other option being tried and failing. Those who have the orders - where are they from - all are locals, none are from a minority background eg east European and all have cost the tax payer 10's of thousands if not more over the years in benefits, medical treatment and criminal justice costs. Anyone with any sensible ideas on what else can be done please say...

Oh chuggers..another group invaded High Town today, what charity they represented I haven't got a clue but an annoying pain to many..me included

No buskers in sight today - shame

If chuggers are a problem to you please consider lobbying your councillor asking why Herefordshire Council haven't consulted on and introduced a PSPO (answers on a post card regards what this stands for and what it means - if necessary I'll post the lay persons answer)

Don't believe a PSPO is needed here for chuggers.

On one hand they are a pain in the a**e but they are not in every day and they are just trying to earn a living like many other folk.

Also, charities do benefit too at the end of the day.

Whenever I have said no firmly, they have always been fine.

I reckon this form of fundraising activity must surely have peaked by now and they will find other ways to do it.

Interesting piece here http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34168129

"Vermin" Colin?

I really must take issue with that choice of word. It has the same dehumanising tone as "Swarm" so beloved by David Cameron, and several Hereford Voice contributors.

Do you really see the homeless, those with addictions, and suffering with mental health issues as "vermin"??

Sorry. That phrase simply has to be challenged.

(Apologies to those who so dislike the "loony leftie" point of view..... but this forum is quickly becoming so hard right, it's stomach churning.)

"Vermin" Colin?

I really must take issue with that choice of word. It has the same dehumanising tone as "Swarm" so beloved by David Cameron, and several Hereford Voice contributors.

Do you really see the homeless, those with addictions, and suffering with mental health issues as "vermin"??

Sorry. That phrase simply has to be challenged.

(Apologies to those who so dislike the "loony leftie" point of view..... but this forum is quickly becoming so hard right, it's stomach churning.)

Challenge me all you like dippy, a good friend of mine had personal experiences with several of these regular drinkers not so long ago, so yes in my opinion some of these people (not all) are vermin. 

Pan pipe players outside All Saints do tend to scatter the usual crowd..but it begs the question what IS the actual attraction to this particular area for this group of people?...shops? possibly some..for alcohol, legal highs or places to sell perhaps?. Any views/ideas

Convenience. High profile point of contact and if you want to sit down the surface has absorbed warmth on a reasonable day.