Airline Fat Tax

Paul Jones

I know this is a bit random but I actually agree with Katie Hopkins for once. 

post-109-0-11019700-1440040967.jpg

PASSENGERS should be weighed along with their luggage when they check in and slugged with an extra fee if deemed too hefty. That’s according to British TV personality and columnist Katie Hopkins, who made the controversial comments in a sneak preview of her new show If Katie Hopkins Ruled The World.

She made her case for a “fat tax†very untactfully, telling the audience: “One of the things that is closest to my heart is a fat tax for fat flyers.“I have to pay for my 20 kilograms of luggage on cheap airlines when some fat chubster just up the aisle from me, doesn’t have to pay anything to get on-board that plane when quite clearly they are carrying more cumulative luggage and I think when you check in, you should weigh in.

I have witnessed many times people being told that you have 3kg too much weight in this bag, so you now need to take that out and place it in the other bag, which can all be very humiliating. It does not matter that the next person in the queue could be 10 stones heavier than you as long as their bag is not overweight then thats fine. The airline have to increase the amount of fuel they load according to the weight that they carry.

A fat tax for people flying on airlines are you serious?? So what about someone who might be anorexic can they get a discount?…it's a bit discriminating besides some flights are not always full but your still only allowed the same amount of weight in luggage.

Cant stand Katie Hopkins but as a regular traveler I have to agree with her on this one. We were charged an extra £30 for having excess baggage only last year and I am talking a few kg. She has a valid point, we got charged for a few extra kilo's even though one guy looked like he would struggle to get into a seat, how is that fair? 

I reckon passengers should be weighed with their luggage. (Other than a few people who would be exempt because they may have genuine medical reasons) There must be an average based upon your height for example. I am about 88kg (about 14 stone) and I am 5ft 10, I would consider myself a fair bit over weight but not loads over weight for my height. I am allowed to carry hand luggage of 15 kg add this to my weight and you have a combined weight of 103kg. So would you agree someone over 22 stones for example to be considered very over weight at the same height? 22 stone=140kg add this to the hand luggage allowance of 15kg gives a combined weight of 155kg the difference in this case would be 52kg=just over 8 stone, which is heavier than my wife.

Take your average Airbus a-320 with a capacity of 150 seats, if just 12% of passengers were at this weight that would be an extra 936kg which is well over a ton of extra weight and guess who is paying for the extra fuel folks?

This is certainly worth exploring and a debate in my opinion. 

A fat tax for people flying on airlines are you serious?? So what about someone who might be anorexic can they get a discount?…it's a bit discriminating besides some flights are not always full but your still only allowed the same amount of weight in luggage.

An airline is a business and yes agreed some flights are not always full. Based upon tickets sales If the plane is only half full then they will load less fuel, if the plane is full they add more fuel to compensate for the extra weight its simple mathematics, so your argument is flawed and Katie Hopkins may just have a valid point here.

An airline is a business and yes agreed some flights are not always full. Based upon tickets sales If the plane is only half full then they will load less fuel, if the plane is full they add more fuel to compensate for the extra weight its simple mathematics, so your argument is flawed and Katie Hopkins may just have a valid point here.

No m.preece I think your flawed with your thinking on this one? What about a basketball team or a rugby team there some big fellas would you class them as overweight?

You still can't get away from the fact that your still only allowed the same amount of weight for your luggage as anyone else! & as you say the airline factors in the fuel consumption so they have more than likely factored in that there will be some larger folk on board?!

No m.preece I think your flawed with your bigotry view! What about a basketball team or a rugby team there some big fellas would you class them as overweight?

You still can't get away from the fact that your still only allowed the same amount of weight for your luggage as anyone else! & as you say the airline factors in the fuel consumption so they have more than likely factored in that there will be some larger folk on board?!

Well in fairness most teams charter their own flights but if your weight is in proportion to your height and is within a fair limit then there would be no issue. I would actually expect a 7ft guy to be a lot heavier than a 5'8 guy. I am confused with your argument about about only being allowed to have the same weight luggage as anyone else? I can take more weight than other people as long as I am happy to pay for the extra weight? What is your point? On your final point of course the airline has factored in extra fuel for larger people but who is ultimately paying for that extra fuel for those larger folk? You have just contradicted yourself and in turn highlighted the point Katie Hopkins is making

Well in fairness most teams charter their own flights but if your weight is in proportion to your height and is within a fair limit then there would be no issue. I would actually expect a 7ft guy to be a lot heavier than a 5'8 guy. I am confused with your argument about about only being allowed to have the same weight luggage as anyone else? I can take more weight than other people as long as I am happy to pay for the extra weight? What is your point? On your final point of course the airline has factored in extra fuel for larger people but who is ultimately paying for that extra fuel for those larger folk? You have just contradicted yourself and in turn highlighted the point Katie Hopkins is making

Its the only fair way if we are to be totally honest with ourselves.

This is a good debate, I have just read this article and it makes complete sense to me and I am overweight.

An economics scholar in Norway has recommended that air ticket costs be calculated according to a passenger’s weight.

Dr. Bharat P. Bhatta, associate professor of economics at Sogn og Fjordane University College, Norway, is proposing three models that he says, “may provide significant benefits to airlines, passengers and society at large.â€

In his paper, published in the Journal of Revenue and Pricing Management, Dr. Bhatta noted “a reduction of 1 kilo weight of a plane will result in fuel savings worth US$3,000 a year and a reduction of CO2 emissions by the same token.â€

check-in-airport-richard-bouhet_afp_gettWeighing in. 

“Charging according to weight and space is a universally accepted principle, not only in transportation, but also in other services," Bhatta says. "As weight and space are far more important in aviation than other modes of transport, airlines should take this into account when pricing their tickets.â€

His three “pay as you weigh†models are:

Total weight: A passenger’s luggage and body weight is calculated, with the fare comprising a per kilo cost. In this scenario a passenger weighing 100 kilos with 20 kilos of luggage (120 kilos total) would pay twice that of a passenger of 50 kilos with 10 kilos of luggage (60 kilos total).

Base fare +/- extra: A base fare is set, with a per-kilo discount applying for “underweight†passengers and a per-kilo surcharge applying to “overweight†passengers.

High/Average/Low: A base fare is set, with a predetermined discount applying for those below a certain weight threshold and a predetermined surcharge applying for those above a certain weight threshold.

Bhatta prefers the third of these options. He goes on to say that weight could be ascertained through passenger self-declaration, with one in five passengers randomly selected and weighed to dissuade cheats (with penalties for cheaters) or by weighing all passengers at check in.

Well in fairness most teams charter their own flights but if your weight is in proportion to your height and is within a fair limit then there would be no issue. I would actually expect a 7ft guy to be a lot heavier than a 5'8 guy. I am confused with your argument about about only being allowed to have the same weight luggage as anyone else? I can take more weight than other people as long as I am happy to pay for the extra weight? What is your point? On your final point of course the airline has factored in extra fuel for larger people but who is ultimately paying for that extra fuel for those larger folk? You have just contradicted yourself and in turn highlighted the point Katie Hopkins is making

Amateur teams don't charter there own flights & there are plenty of those who go on tour! as you say not all professional teams will either!

You make the choice of carrying more luggage I'm sure most people don't choose to be overweight?

If your that big you will more than likely take up 2 seat for which you will have to pay for those 2 seats!

Would you give a discount for someone who is underweight?

You say if your weight is in portion to your height & is within a far limit…what would you class that fair limit to be? 1kg,2kg,5kg,10kg etc?

Amateur teams don't charter there own flights & there are plenty of those who go on tour! as you say not all professional teams will either!

You make the choice of carrying more luggage I'm sure most people don't choose to be overweight?

If your that big you will more than likely take up 2 seat for which you will have to pay for those 2 seats!

Would you give a discount for someone who is underweight?

You say if your weight is in portion to your height & is within a far limit…what would you class that fair limit to be? 1kg,2kg,5kg,10kg etc?

If a team of people are heavier than the agreed limit then they should pay extra, it does not matter that they are the local rugby team, whats that got to do with it? If I was grossly overweight and took up two seats then yes definitely! I would pay for the extra seats, why not? Some airlines are already charging just that.

American airlines passengers whose weight exceeds 250 pounds should know that there are "possible limitations that could result in American not being able to accommodate them." He also states that the airline urges passengers to "recognize ahead of time that they may need to purchase two seats." He also cites the FAA regulation that all airlines adhere to—if you can't snap the seatbelt (after the extension is added, that is) you can't fly.

I am not sure what the limit would be but they would take an average I assume. 

Here's a look at how a few different airlines deal with the "customer of size:"

• Midwest: Like Southwest, passengers are encouraged to know their needs in advance. If staff determine that two seats are required, the seat will be sold at the lowest possible fare, with a refund available if there is one or more open seats on the flight.
  • Air France: Passengers with "high body mass" may receive a 25 percent discount on an extra seat, knowing that if they choose to not buy the seat, they may risk not being able to fly.
  • JetBlue: You are required to buy a second seat, and there are no refunds.
  • Delta: The airline "works to accommodate" passengers with special needs. Upon request and availability, it will try to make sure the next seat is unoccupied. However, if the plane is full, you will most likely be asked to leave the flight and buy a second seat on the next available flight. (You can actually count on this being a fairly typical practice on most airlines.)

I just read these few replies people have posted to this topic and having to purchase an extra seats:

In the long run it's an offered service and the airline has the right of refusal to anyone. Paying by the pound is fair just like a flat tax is fair. For every pound you bring on board more fuel is required to get off the ground and fly. It's simple math. If you bring 200 more lbs. on board why should I and anyone else have to pay for you. A pound of flesh vs a pound of fuel, that's what it comes down too. Got nothing to do with genetics or thyroids, it's business. Think of it in terms of an all you can eat buffet or would you charge by the pound of food consumed. Which would be more profitable and fair to you as the owner and fair to the consumer? A flat charge across the board is fare and fair.

Good Lord yes! If you allow yourself to get so fat that you can't fit into an airline seat without your lard spilling into the next seat then you should either go as cargo or take a ship. Or buy two seats.

If a team of people are heavier than the agreed limit then they should pay extra, it does not matter that they are the local rugby team, whats that got to do with it? If I was grossly overweight and took up two seats then yes definitely! I would pay for the extra seats, why not? Some airlines are already charging just that.

I think I just post that if you take up 2 seats you have to pay for them I don't have a problem with that! After all you'd be taking up 2 seats!

You must have a idea of what that average would be is it someone who takes up 2 seats or someone who can just get about fit into 1 seat?

If the answer is someone who takes up 2 seats? Then they are already paying extra because they have had to have 2 seats & not one?!

I think I just post that if you take up 2 seats you have to pay for them I don't have a problem with that! After all you'd be taking up 2 seats!

You must have a idea of what that average would be is it someone who takes up 2 seats or someone who can just get about fit into 1 seat?

If the answer is someone who takes up 2 seats? Then they are already paying extra because they have had to have 2 seats & not one?!

So you agree then that people who take up two seats because they are overweight should pay for the extra seat/weight.

Well either way, if the passenger is grossly overweight in my opinion they should pay more, either by purchasing 2 seats or by paying for extra weight, how its implemented I am not bothered.

So you agree then that people who take up two seats because they are overweight should pay for the extra seat/weight.

Well either way, if the passenger is grossly overweight in my opinion they should pay more, either by purchasing 2 seats or by paying for extra weight, how its implemented I am not bothered.

I agreeing in so much as if someone needs or has 2 seats then they pay for 2 seats but if someone has 1 seat then they only pay for 1 seat & should not be charged because they are overweight!

I agreeing in so much as if someone needs or has 2 seats then they pay for 2 seats but if someone has 1 seat then they only pay for 1 seat & should not be charged because they are overweight!

Thats a contradiction in itself, if someone needs to occupy 2 seats then they are clearly overweight! End of. 

It's getting serious - all over his " man bag ! "

A passenger on an Easyjet aircraft at Gatwick Airport has been Tasered by police shortly before it was due to take off for Belfast.

Officers boarded the plane shortly after 08:00 BST following reports a passenger had become abusive in an argument over luggage.

A man has been arrested on suspicion of breach of the peace and is in custody, a Sussex Police spokesman said.

Witness statements are being taken from passengers and crew aboard the plane.

'Man purse'

In a statement, Easyjet said police were called to the aircraft "due to a passenger behaving disruptively".

Niall Copeland tweeted: "Man getting arrested on @easyJet flight home to #Belfast because he wants 2 pieces of hand luggage!"

He then posted: "All because he was insistent of wearing his man purse."

It's getting serious - all over his " man bag ! "

A passenger on an Easyjet aircraft at Gatwick Airport has been Tasered by police shortly before it was due to take off for Belfast.

Officers boarded the plane shortly after 08:00 BST following reports a passenger had become abusive in an argument over luggage.

A man has been arrested on suspicion of breach of the peace and is in custody, a Sussex Police spokesman said.

Witness statements are being taken from passengers and crew aboard the plane.

'Man purse'

In a statement, Easyjet said police were called to the aircraft "due to a passenger behaving disruptively".

Niall Copeland tweeted: "Man getting arrested on @easyJet flight home to #Belfast because he wants 2 pieces of hand luggage!"

He then posted: "All because he was insistent of wearing his man purse."

I am not entirely sure what this has to do with "Airline Fat Tax" (off topic) this is just some idiot causing trouble over his man bag, which he will now be truly sorry about.