Advertising Mess in the City

Paul Neades

Banners on railings around the city, signs on every lamppost and traffic light. Where does this stop, where is the enforcement? I'm fed up of Hereford looking like a mess as you walk or drive through.

Surly all this advertising which tendermounts to fly posting has to be addressed and stopped. Business owners should be fined and organisations brought to task that litter our city with advertising.

What are your thoughts?

To be honest, getting rid of a few banners is not going to improve Hereford. Hereford need a lot of work doing to it, i know many people who used to come here and now will not set foot here.  I can understand why as well. 

I am getting to the stage where I am getting fed up of the place.

Went into town this afternoon, Eign gate was a mess, bottles, tins and other rubbish all over the place.

I bet if that happened in the old market it would be sorted out. 

To be honest, getting rid of a few banners is not going to improve Hereford. Hereford need a lot of work doing to it, i know many people who used to come here and now will not set foot here.  I can understand why as well. 

I am getting to the stage where I am getting fed up of the place.

Went into town this afternoon, Eign gate was a mess, bottles, tins and other rubbish all over the place.

I bet if that happened in the old market it would be sorted out. 

Yes because the old market is private and they employ site cleaners 

"Expect Freedom Church fliers all around town in the very near future."

Pete Boggs have they got a special convention coming up?

Mind you FC seem to be able to gather so many volunteers up perhaps they could set about litter and rubbish picking - there is enough of them around they will soon be running the show anyway. 

To be honest, getting rid of a few banners is not going to improve Hereford. 

I don't think that was the real point of the post. These banners are now out of control. Tied, I might add, to the very railings that Council workers have to drive past to carry out their designated function. Whether it be bin emptying or grass cutting or whatever. It's clearly a Council Management failure. They concentrate on the lowest hanging fruit possible. Which is the parking. A dodgy railing advert can't attract a PCN so is probably falling off the enforcement radar immediately. 

Why I love Hereford Voice....at this moment the three top threads litter,flyposting and immigration!

To be honest I will pick other people's litter up and flyposting could be worse than it is..after all the mural has been up outside the bomb site for months now and no one has defaced it ..except gulls. I think this is impressive and a credit to most of those that occupy the town centre particularly late at night.

If this Council gave me the opportunity of deciding who gets £50,000 of funding then individuals employed to enforce illegal flyposting would be last on the list and litter picking is a job for community service orders if we bothered to enforce those.

Coming soon probable council tax rises which of course can be adjusted upwards if we feel that these issues are an absolute need.

I saw that Hereford BID are now employing someone to clean the streets early in the morning in Hereford City which I hope will help. Like many other posters I am disappointed to see the way the streets are more cluttered with such a variety of notices and billboards - I had to cycle round a A board stuck in the middle of the cycle lane on the corner of Broad St the other day - could businesses have a think about what they are doing? Those that clean and wash down the front of their premises I find are much more attractive to enter and if everyone does this it does make a big difference to the area. However, just this morning there are 2 older people drinking outside the Oasis Dental surgery on Belmont road at 9.30am, surrounded by litter and empty tins - such a shame. This regularly happens outside All Saints cafe. Perhaps that is why the Council want a bypass so no-one outside of Hereford will see the huge problem Hereford faces with drink and drugs all day and everyday. 

The remit of the new guys from the BID is to do the bits that BBLP are not meant to do.

It would be lovely if all shop managers/owners just spent 2 mins every day looking at their own shop fronts but as we know by other threads we are not all as charitable as some would like.

You know what Dan your not wrong...instantly I had an image of old Arkwright in brown overcoat and broom in hand...open all hours! Something of course we would all love to see but not commercially viable for most.

I saw that Hereford BID are now employing someone to clean the streets early in the morning in Hereford City which I hope will help. Like many other posters I am disappointed to see the way the streets are more cluttered with such a variety of notices and billboards - I had to cycle round a A board stuck in the middle of the cycle lane on the corner of Broad St the other day - could businesses have a think about what they are doing? Those that clean and wash down the front of their premises I find are much more attractive to enter and if everyone does this it does make a big difference to the area. However, just this morning there are 2 older people drinking outside the Oasis Dental surgery on Belmont road at 9.30am, surrounded by litter and empty tins - such a shame. This regularly happens outside All Saints cafe. Perhaps that is why the Council want a bypass so no-one outside of Hereford will see the huge problem Hereford faces with drink and drugs all day and everyday. 

We went out for a meal only last night at the glass tandoori and there were at least 6 people shouting and swearing holding beers can outside the church to the side of the long bar, they looked like druggies, unkept and dirty looking, I recognise the one girl in the group she is a regular in the city centre. I thought that you could not drink in the town? Why is this being ignored?

Sigh.

This is not a "huge problem."

Plenty has been - and is being done -  to help the handful of folks who seem to be referred to as street drinkers.

There is an entire thread dedicated to this..Baptist Church Drinkers. Several pages of comments and information.

We went out for a meal only last night at the glass tandoori and there were at least 6 people shouting and swearing holding beers can outside the church to the side of the long bar, they looked like druggies, unkept and dirty looking, I recognise the one girl in the group she is a regular in the city centre. I thought that you could not drink in the town? Why is this being ignored?

Personally Im more of a fan of the new Champagne Signature - great Indian restaurant. 

With regards to the homeless there does appear to be an increase in the amount of homeless that are pitching up in Commercial Road - sad times indeed. 

With regards to the homeless there does appear to be an increase in the amount of homeless that are pitching up in Commercial Road - sad times indeed. 

I drive down Commercial Road virtually everyday. Usually around about 6 PM .... I used to see the large group of drunks in the area of the Baptist Church but they don't seem to be there anymore. I walk into town about once a month and haven't seen the 'homeless' element you refer to. But obviously my infrequent 'foot' visits can't be used as an indicator. 

Incredibly sad, Dan, I agree.

There are folks who have incredibly difficult lives, with very complex issues.

But the merest glimpse of this group has been enough to spoil Steve's big night out. That surely is unforgivable.

Hang on Dippy.. Steve's got a point.

I'm not one for taking on something hot and spicy these days but should it be that I'm chewing through a massive lump of Tikka Masala only to peer out the window to see a naked Roger being chased down the road by Bobby absolutely smashed out of his face swearing in Polish and carrying what appeared to be Rog,s torn trousers, well I may have cause to miss the sweet and possibly request the Heimlich Manoeuvre. There's possibly a health and safety issue here!

I drive down Commercial Road virtually everyday. Usually around about 6 PM .... I used to see the large group of drunks in the area of the Baptist Church but they don't seem to be there anymore. I walk into town about once a month and haven't seen the 'homeless' element you refer to. But obviously my infrequent 'foot' visits can't be used as an indicator. 

I think the Police have done a lot of work on dealing with the Baptist Church street drinkers, and also the Grave Yard street drinkers - possibly the same group - I dont know,  but I do know I dont see these groups around as much as I once did. 

With regards to the homeless people, I work in town, late into the night and sadly they are there and appear to be increasing in numbers. 

With regards to the homeless people, I work in town, late into the night and sadly they are there and appear to be increasing in numbers. 

Who are these people? I am NEVER in town at night so have no clue. I know you do Play and so are up late. 

I dont know them by name and perhaps thats bad of me. 

Mostly they are pleasant and appear happy people who have obviously been dealt a bad hand. 

I got speaking to one old boy and he is ex military, I was too embarrassed to ask how he ended up in this situation, but there are around 6-8 that are in the doorways along Commercial Road of a night time. 

Sorry Paul for the thread jack - not intentional, but its just another thing that needs sorting in our beautiful city. 

Hi Dan, as my friend Ubique has posted on other threads, any ex military personnel in need of help, can contact SSAFA.

They have a help desk in Hereford's Council Offices. Type SSAFA into the search box on this page, and it should throw up opening times and phone numbers.

It might be a start to getting this gentleman at least, a little much needed support.

(And may I also add my apologies, Paul, for wandering off topic!)

Personally Im more of a fan of the new Champagne Signature - great Indian restaurant. 

Last time I looked it had closed down? I assume you mean the one under the hotel by Sainsbury?

Incredibly sad, Dan, I agree.

There are folks who have incredibly difficult lives, with very complex issues.

But the merest glimpse of this group has been enough to spoil Steve's big night out. That surely is unforgivable.

You know what, I work damn hard for my money, I have a disabled son and we all go out together for a nice meal, I don't expect to listen to some stinking foul mouth druggie watching his mate take a pi*% outside a church, anyone else would be arrested. I noticed a used needle on the floor too, maybe it was not from them but i am sure its probably from someone they know. I wonder how you would feel dippy if your child picked it up?  Complex lives indeed, we all have choices and and they chose drugs! I am yet to see a successful druggie. They are nothing but parasites and a drain to society and a burden to everyone around them.  

You know what, I work damn hard for my money, I have a disabled son and we all go out together for a nice meal, I don't expect to listen to some stinking foul mouth druggie watching his mate take a pi*% outside a church, anyone else would be arrested. I noticed a used needle on the floor too, maybe it was not from them but i am sure its probably from someone they know. I wonder how you would feel dippy if your child picked it up?  Complex lives indeed, we all have choices and and they chose drugs! I am yet to see a successful druggie. They are nothing but parasites and a drain to society and a burden to everyone around them.  

Too much emphasis on the alcoholics and drug addicted people in our society, how about cutting some slack for the genuine hard working people for once, I am sick of hearing how unfortunate and how sad, bollocks, they made their choices and now everyone else is paying for them, I agree most are wasters and parasites, sorry but I have no time for these people, all self inflicted. 

Good grief.

Enjoy your perfect, insulated lives.

I truly hope that one day you people can step out of your bubbles, and see what life is like for other people.

Your words, lack of compassion, empathy, humanity or even common decency make me feel sick to the stomach.

You are so very quick to judge and condemn folk without even attempting to put yourselves in their shoes.

Topic after topic, thread after thread about Ledbury Road, Blackmarston, bullying, abuse, you all completely ignore. Wrapped up in your own, selfish inward looking lives.

Enjoy.

I can no longer be bothered to waste my time trying to educate folks who don't seem to have a brain cell between them.