Odeon Cinema Hereford

H.Wilson

They'll knock it down 'H'. Either that or the Council will do some 'sleight of hand', put in place a scenario that allows 'asset strippers' to take advantage of a wonderful opportunity and knock it down themselves.

But it ain't all bad news. Not while the 'suits' have their hands on the levers of power. You can be assured of two things. Firstly it'll create hundreds of jobs and secondly it'll present whoever with a chance to save millions.

The only certain outcome will be, there'll be plenty of rubble to fill some other pointless and unwanted scheme that will get served up to us within the next few years.

The only knotty conundrum that will need to be addressed is, what happens when Hereford Magistrates Court is to be sold off. And, yes, it is going to go. What will they do then. Which building gets flattened first? It's all a question of timing as to which building gets flattened first. Of course the 'developers' will have an eye on the situation as well.

Whoever gets their hands on either of these buildings you can be certain that it'll provide you and I with nothing and huge financial rewards to the few who happen to know what is going to happen because of sources within the Council who'll be more than happy to help create something that nobody ever wanted.

Course they could keep the building. Create something culturally wonderful that provides our community with a space and place to be who we are or they could do what they tend to do. Flatten it!

I have heard that the old cinema will be offered gratis to Bobby47. The men in suits/powers that be have read that he is a Commercial Road man through and through so they decided that to give him somewhere to recuperate on his travails up and down the road was the perfect option for a pretty useless building. They will also provide some white boards so that he can write out his pearls of wisdom and a neon sign. As I am also a daily user of Commercial Road I have agreed pop in occasionally to mop his brow whilst he ponders the incompetence's of the Council and its cohorts and also to provide him with news from the Old Livestock Market.

I understand the Magistrates building was a paean to the folly that is PFI - in other words, we'll still be paying for it even if it is knocked down!

Crikey Twowheels this has to be the word of the week!

pae·an  [pee-uhn] noun
1. any song of praise, joy, or triumph.
2. a hymn of invocation or thanksgiving to Apollo or some other ancient Greek deity.

Crikey Twowheels this has to be the word of the week!

pae·an  [pee-uhn] noun
1. any song of praise, joy, or triumph.
2. a hymn of invocation or thanksgiving to Apollo or some other ancient Greek deity.

Indeed, quite please with that one - perhaps it should have its own thread - word of the week.

I understand the Magistrates building was a paean to the folly that is PFI - in other words, we'll still be paying for it even if it is knocked down!

So if they have to keep paying for it might as well carry on using it! common sense.

Where do they propose moving the magistrates court to? and why?

Indeed, quite please with that one - perhaps it should have its own thread - word of the week.

I mentioned my penchant for the word "relish" once, on a HT thread....everybody joined in, even a couple of councillors!

Agreed Twowheels - the routes into the city centre should be a "show piece" of what Hereford has to offer.

And you are totally right - what does it say about the city when as you come into the centre you are greeted with KFC and Pizza Hut.

I believe at one time there was legislation that said the 4 main arteries into the city should have an unobstructed view of the Cathedral - or something to that effect.

But I guess its difficult to stop undesirable business taking prime spots in the city.

I agree that Pizza Hut is dreadful. As to KFC I think the building itself is OK - what is bad is the advertising and the extract vents etc. The old City Council before 1998 had a policy restricting the heights of new buildings so that they did not dominate the skyline over the Cathedral and the other churches but for some reason that was dropped