Black wheelie bins for Hereford

Alex

The thing is, they are going to run out of things to cut. So next year, when they've wasted more money and got us into more debt, what then? 4 weekly collections? Why are we still paying money to these twats AND paying the price for the financial abuse of several companies/individuals?

If I have to dispose of my own rubbish (as they frequently failed to empty the green bin at the front of my house) I WILL be invoicing the council.

It would be interesting to know the cost of;

Issuing black wheelie bins and replacements

Additional callouts for refuse collection; you can call them back if they miss your bins and can call them to collect overloaded areas

Cost of cleanup

Cost of/if a reduction in housing prices due to deterioration

It's too late to go fishing for the details, but studies have proven that a **** hole deteriorates further with an increase in crime where's a well kept area instills confidence and lower crime rates 

Biomech my dear friend you are missing the point this is not about saving money it's about redistributing it! The Council are just moving what little money they have around to confuse the audit trail! There are no actual savings anywhere! Most if not all of the consultations conducted in recent months saw reductions in front line staff but there were many increases in management salaries. 

I am dreading the introduction of black bins the recycling bins look awful stuck outside people's front doors and should never have been given to properties if they didn't have rear gardens to store them in. These properties should have been given plastic bags as previously. The fronts of people's properties look so untidy with these bins stuck outside, it will look even worse when there are two! My wife is forever bleaching our bin but some of them are so filthy, I don't think they've ever been cleaned!

Where I'm living at the moment the collections are on a Monday,

On Monday morning I put the black bags out and also the recycle bin and as like every other Monday morning the dustbin lorry came around the corner picking up all the black bins then disappeared around the corner

Half an hour later another lorry came round the corner and started to empty all the recycle bins which got me thinking (thanks to this thread) how is the council saving money??

Two teams of men

Two lorries

Maintenance of lorries

I'm guessing that the bags and the stuff out of the bin are going to separate places

The stuff out of the recycling bin will need sorting out so that means more staff??

And I'm sure I've forgotten quite a bit more???

Where are the savings???

Coming from Newcastle where we always had a green bin for normal waste and brown bin for recycling I think Hereford is waay too far behind on this! Living in a shared house (where frankly I'm the only one who does anything around the house) I'm always putting the bin bags outside and then by the time collection is due, on a Monday evening or Tuesday morning, I pick it up and it's all split from the neighbours lovely cats. When your in a rush to get to work you don't need this! I think fortnight collections is madness however as I've always got plenty of rubbish every week for collection. But then saying this, bigger bins are available... Keep the bin clean and you shouldn't have no problems. Hell, stick a air freshener in there if you must!

That is bullshit propaganda that did not need to be included

That is bullshit because we pay for them, we also pay them for the service of weekly collections.

Ridiculous piece of logistics, whoever thought up that date needs to be fired.

A major change in waste disposal right before Christmas when services are cancelled at that time of year already, with an increase in waste and leaving no room for people to adapt to a new routine.

Taken from this post:

Westminster Council Tax for 2013/14
Band A £453.83
Band B £529.47
Band C £605.10
Band D £680.74
Band E £832.01
Band F £983.29
Band G £1,134.57
Band H £1,361.48

Herefordshire Council Tax for 2013/14
Band A £1,014.50
Band B £1,183.56
Band C £1,352.66
Band D £1,521.74 Not sure why this figure is different to Hereford Times report as I have got this figure from the HC website?
Band E £1,859.91
Band F £2,198.08
Band G £2,536.23
Band H £3,043.48

Personally I would prefer a wheelie bin for garden rubbish - it would be nice to be given an option after all we  pay their wages.  Yes yes I know you can buy green bags for a huge price if you're prepared to travel into town etc etc and then you can stand and watch the filled green bags being thrown into the same dust cart that household rubbish is thrown into.   I also know there is the rubbish tip but it isn't always convenient to do that.  Other counties have garden waste bins why is Hereford always so far behind in anything that is innovative?  Finally why do the suits always think they know what the ordinary people want for their money and why don't they just ask instead of assuming they know best.

Taken from this post:

Westminster Council Tax for 2013/14

Band A £453.83

Band B £529.47

Band C £605.10

Band D £680.74

Band E £832.01

Band F £983.29

Band G £1,134.57

Band H £1,361.48

Herefordshire Council Tax for 2013/14

Band A £1,014.50

Band B £1,183.56

Band C £1,352.66

Band D £1,521.74 Not sure why this figure is different to Hereford Times report as I have got this figure from the HC website?

Band E £1,859.91

Band F £2,198.08

Band G £2,536.23

Band H £3,043.48

Unreal!

• 2 weeks later...

I think fortnightly collections will be a disaster especially for larger families where their rubbish is much bigger, this will just attract more cats and rats, which will then become an even bigger problem.  :Thumbs-Down:

If anyone wants to see what happens to black bags when they get put out 4 to 5 days before collection (onTuesday) just have a walk through Sherborne Close, behind the electricity sub station, to Muir Close. It looks really third world - a total disgrace. We will have people picking through it next. 

What is Herefordshire Housing playing at. They have been told enough times about this problem. Maybe its time to go to Environmental Health and/or get them into court to solve this nuisance. A sofa which was dumped at the back of the sub-station has now miraculously transferred itself to the back of houses in Muir Close. Maybe it got bored sitting there for the last 2 weeks.

It appears that Herefordshire Housing and the Council are deliberately running down the area by ignoring the problems that a few people are creating. Maybe they want to knock this area down and build some more new houses with government grants.

What with Balfour Beatty making street cleaners redundant it looks as if we will be up to our necks in litter, dog s*it, flytipping and abandoned cars, but by leaving the grassed areas uncut for weeks on end maybe we won't see it!

If anyone can get a picture of the mess in Sherborne and paste it on here, maybe those in power will realise how bad it is. Have a look at ongoing topic "I told you it would get worse".

I think you have summed the problem up there, in your third paragraph, Megilleland.

In my view, the unacceptable behaviour of a few, is making life miserable for many. This is what needs addressing.

The landlord needs to spell out the consequences of what amounts to anti social behaviour.

Why should a few tenants spoil it for the majority?

Unless the root cause of this is dealt with, the problem will never go away, and in all probability, will sooner or later get significantly worse.

I did say in my Letter to the HT that we could follow what they were doing in Wales which is to supply caddies for food waste 

A food 'caddie' is just a fancy way to describe a slop bucket ...

7_litre_caddy_pigeon_blue_wb_gd.jpg

If that is full of rancid food that is starting to stink it certainly wouldn't be in my kitchen. It would be down the side or out the back. They're typically quite small and low down so obviously will be attractive to the rats'. These urban ones are getting up to two feet long now ...

zz090414rats.jpg

Liverpool Echo news story

Hereford Times: Thursday 10th April 2014 in Letters

Cost question over bins

YOU report that the council is proposing to issue all residents with black wheelie bins for landfill waste replacing black bags. These black bins will be collected every other week with green bins being collected on the weeks black bins are not.

This means we change from a system where black bags paid for by the householder are replaced by black wheelie bins that will have to be purchased by the council. There will still be a collection every week from each household. Given that the dust carts will have to make the same number of journeys under the proposed new system and that the council will have to pay for and distribute black wheelie bins to all it is hard to see where the suggested saving of £500,000 will come from.

Have these savings been calculated by the same people who managed to create the famous black hole that was found in the county’s accounts not so long ago and who I understand remain in post.

ANDREW PACE
Broxwood, Leominster

Probably something a lot of people prefer not to talk about but in the HT today it says that the yellow bag collection has now stopped.  These bags containing  used pads/human waste etc and reading the article very quickly it looks probable that these bags are now to go in the normal black waste bags.  If as we have been told this collection is to be reduced to once every 2 weeks there is a serious concern of a severe health issue especially if the black bags are left out and ripped open by vermin.  There is every likelihood that the pavements will have human waste adorning them.  Is this really what we pay our council tax for?    

Probably something a lot of people prefer not to talk about but in the HT today it says that the yellow bag collection has now stopped.  These bags containing  used pads/human waste etc and reading the article very quickly it looks probable that these bags are now to go in the normal black waste bags.  If as we have been told this collection is to be reduced to once every 2 weeks there is a serious concern of a severe health issue especially if the black bags are left out and ripped open by vermin.  There is every likelihood that the pavements will have human waste adorning them.  Is this really what we pay our council tax for?

If it's true and there is no alternative provided I suggest that the Doctors and Health Care providers will be up in arms .

I didn't even know we had to have yellow bags as well! as the green ones and the black ones and purple ones and the orange ones....

Hey, maybe they'll buy us all yellow wheelie bins as well!

The mixture of rotting meat, animal faeces and decaying tampons sounds quite delightful, maybe Boots will pick it up for their perfume range

• 1 month later...

10409397_460875424048736_584486256486588

Herefordshire residents will see a change to their general rubbish collection service from November 2014. The service will move to alternative weekly collections, meaning that recycling will be collected one week and general rubbish will be collected on the other week.

The decision has been taken in order to reduce costs as council budgets reduce and to increase recycling rates to come into line with Government targets.

Householders will be allocated a black bin which can be used to safely and hygienically store general rubbish between collections. Bins will be delivered from August 2014 and residents will receive instructions and a collection calendar ahead of the go-live date of November 2014.

Herefordshire Council

Most residents won't be happy that Council Tax goes up by 2% which results in no grass getting cut and black bin collections reduced by 50% ... 

_75263318_brandonlewis.jpg

Brandon Lewis gets confused by recycling rules

Brandon Lewis has admitted even he gets confused over what he can recycle at home, after making a mistake on television this morning.

The local government minister was appearing on BBC Breakfast to discuss how councils can make it easier for residents to recycle at home. Despite claiming his local authority make it ‘pretty clear about what you can and can't recycle’ he got confused himself when questioned about what is allowed to go into his green waste bin.

He told presenter Charlie Stayt he could put yogurt pots in his recycling bin but was later corrected by his wife. He then took to twitter to clear up the confusion and admit he had got it wrong.

BBC Breakfast tweeted: 'Seems recycling IS confusing. Minister @BrandonLewis said he could recycle yogurt pots, but has since admitted he got it wrong.'

LocalGov

YouTube

So the yoghurt pots have to go in these new black bins ...  :Happy_32:

No, Roger!!

Been recycling yoghurt pots for years - it's quite clear on the council info - "Plastic containers e.g. yogurt pots, margarine / ice cream tubs fruit / vegetable punnets plastic meat / fish trays cream / custard pots /cake / pastry trays soup / sauce pots egg boxes

! Rinse bottles and containers
! No black plastic
! No tops, lids, pumps, film, foil etc"

Not much joined up thinking between councils and the recycling world then.

Here we go again.

So - WE HAVE NO MONEY. 

There HAVE to be cut backs.

So - we get new enclosed bins, the size of wheele bins, to put our black bin liners in with general rubbish.

They are collected every other week.

Our rubbish is safe from street animals, probably seagulls too, as they wont be able to get to any food debris that the dogs/cats/fox's/rats dont get to first.

It saves the council - £500,000.

Probably saves the planet a bit too as the bin lorrys wont be out every week.

What is the problem here?

Some people dont get - we cant have all the services we used to have in the way we used to have them.