Anyone for a fortnightly digital newspaper?

Biomech

I was thinking today...

Colin has the drive, many people here love to dig through paperwork and research and I'm a dab hand with digital media....

Anyone fancy a fortnightly/monthly digital magazine that covers all of the news that the Horrorford Times refuses to and highlights the points and information that others can't be assed with?

If people send me the content, I'm happy to compile it :)

Sounds an interesting idea but I wonder whether it will just turn out to be Council bashing?

We already have What I Heard About Herefordshire Council and the Hereford Heckler. There is Here for Hereford also. A publication on the lines of the The Bristolian makes a very good read especially the recent edition which mentions Hereford.

However this is a bit like trying to change voting attitudes. Everyone wants to set up their own campaign and all that happens is that the vote and effort is split and the two mainstay parties either get in again. Now if these publications' stories were pulled together and posted onto this forum maybe the message would get out to a greater number of people who could be guided to put up a united front against this council. We only need 7172 to get a referendum to change the way the council operates. Over 3000 votes were raised for the Edgar Street Tree campaign in a matter of weeks. It could be done.

Glenda - is that it then?

Anyone who  supports the Council has to be excluded?

So it will become as I said just another bashing exercise with everyone pushing their own little agenda/vendetta. Who makes the decision as to who is excluded? Perhaps you should be excluded as you part of the decrepit organisation. Don't come back at me and say you have no influence and cannot be blamed. The opposition are almost as bad as the conservatives with all their cliques and self righteous - it's not our fault - attitude. As a councillor you are part of the problem. We want a solution that does not involve petty politics. We want a Council built on consensus which aims to get the best for Herefordshire.

So if we can build a campaigning organisation outside politics then excellent - count me in. The start would be this suggestion.

It's very hard to criticise when things are going well,  I'm sorry but there is nothing that's going well. The Council administration can not defend some of the crazy decisions they've made and they continue to make. Letter on the Hereford Times website from Cllr Johnson states if we have a better idea they are all ears! I witnessed Cllr Johnson being all ears it was not pretty!

It was just a fleeting idea, I'm happy with or without, it's just that we seemed to discuss a lot of topics and people like twowheels spends time digging up all kinds of information that never seems to get the light of day, that was all :) I believe it was you, twowheels, who uncovered the information about the lime trees decision being down to a secret meeting of Jarvonians, not the Highways Agency? - I wonder how many people out there actual know this.

The time is right for a digital newsletter, and fortnightly would be wonderful if there are enough people to help you. There are many different campaigns and mutual interest groups in Hereford, and at the moment, what with cuts, trees, etc., there is a lot of common ground. However, many of these groups are working almost in isolation. I would like to bring them together, because a concerted effort will have so much more impact,  - perhaps on the current Council, but at least on public opinion. A newsletter that could report on the sorts of facts shared on Hereford Voice, but also be available to download and circulate by email would be very welcome. There are many people out there who are very wary of fora (forums), Twitter, Facebook, etc. who are currently missing out on information.

In the long term the public will vote for a new Council administration, but they will need to be provided with hard evidence to make their choice,  - from now on. Knowledge is power. So,  - that knowledge has to be made easier to access.

If people send me the content, I'm happy to compile it :)

How about getting some ideas of what needs exposing - I'll kick off

Public eyesores (litter, fly tipping, grass cutting)

Hereford Council - issues and agendas, transparency, politics

Hereford City Council - issues and agendas

Traffic issues - Link Road, Bypass, traffic lights

Retail issues - Old Livestock Market, High Town

Health service issues

Housing Associations 

Very important to try and drive home the difference between the District Council and the City (Parish) Council, which the majority still don't understand. I think the City has huge potential for taking over much of what the District should have been doing in terms of revitalising the City centre, subject to, of course, resolving funding, and hopefully not becoming too embroiled in petty party politics. Apologies to those outside the City - which in turn begs the question for this digital paper - are we talking City or County wide?