Holmer trading est to be demolished

ragwert

Very good news about affordable homes!

Ragwert, do you know how the traders' issues were resolved? I seem to recall it all got quite ugly a few years back.....

I do know quite a lot about the site and its traders.What I'd like to say would get me in trouble so I'll stay schtum.

What I can say is there was a bit of heavy handedness by someone acting on behalf of the owners of the site and most are still angry even though they knew this would be the final outcome in the end.

Quite a lot of traders have left and I'm a bit surprised that they still say around 150 people work there.

I think I'd struggle to count 50,in fact 40 is being quite optimistic.Biggest employer on site is Cavanas but they are staying put.

Evening Ragwert!

Thanks for the response. Yes, I remember all the unpleasantness surrounding this. I'd love to hear what you'd like to say... but understand why you can't!

So, all businesses that needed to move, have moved then? No loss of jobs? This was my concern as many were small, local businesses.

Evening Ragwert!

Thanks for the response. Yes, I remember all the unpleasantness surrounding this. I'd love to hear what you'd like to say... but understand why you can't!

So, all businesses that needed to move, have moved then? No loss of jobs? This was my concern as many were small, local businesses.

Still a few down there & some will find it difficult to relocate.

I'm down there in Feb/March helping to clear a few units that are used as storage.

People need to drill down to the facts - this is an outline application with all matters except access reserved for future consideration - there is a lot yet to decide. There is no affordable housing on the table - the argument is made that the remediation costs of restoring the canal (and it's only a short length) is £3m and the applicant has basically said 'canal or affordable housing'. Given the long standing desire (and adopted policy) to restore the canal, that’s the way it is going to go BUT it is subject to further discussion. Notably the submitted drawings state 'Reinstated canal or Linear Park'. The issue of housing next to Cavannaghs is far from ideal, particularly as access is through the new housing.

As for Councillor Marcelle Lloyd Hayes claiming 'the development of the canal is essential to the future of the city' - we're all doomed if that is the case!

TWG I copied that sentence of Cllr everything is rosy in my garden Marcelle to post on here yesterday but then I saw that people were saying what a good idea etc it would be.  My question was could somebody explain to me why it is considered "essential to the future of the city" Will it be used to transport cargo/people or what will it bring to the economies of the county? 

TWG I copied that sentence of Cllr everything is rosy in my garden Marcelle to post on here yesterday but then I saw that people were saying what a good idea etc it would be.  My question was could somebody explain to me why it is considered "essential to the future of the city" Will it be used to transport cargo/people or what will it bring to the economies of the county? 

I think its obvious it will be used as a tourist attraction,and yes Marcelle did go quite over the top with her quote.

In my view the canal is a total waste of money. This little pressure group (Hereford & Gloucester Canal Society) has across the County and in Gloucestershire held developers to ransom to contribute towards building something that does not have planning permission and for which the economics are so dodgy that it will never be viable - pretty much like when it was first built. Having a water feature in the city centre (ESG housing area) would be fine but to think that boats will travel to and from Gloucester is utter nonsense. Time this group were shown the door.

There has been a big debate on this for many years, not just H&G canal but in general. I believe that the consensus was that none urgent, non perishable, & oversized cargo could travel the country for a fraction of the cost of road or rail haulage. Saving companies thousands of pounds. Commercially it is viable to reuse the canals, however we have lost our network of canals when we joined the rat race!

Having spent a few individual weeks holiday on the canal, I'm all for it. What's better than pootling along a few miles at a time and stopping at the next pub for breakfast dinner & tea! Not a care in the world, seeing and adoring our beautiful countryside. Something we can't see in our modern fast metal boxes!

On the other side. Canals link places avoiding traffic - I used to work in Birmingham and would cycle from brum to Worcester along the canal and catch the train to Hereford, every week! Had the canal continued further I probably would've cycled home! Very few hills too. All the best to H&G CT.

Part of the Hereford to Gloucester canal will also be restored 

How big a part? 30 miles or 30 yards? Where are you going to be able to navigate to/from? Aylestone Park to The Swan? Pie in the sky idea. By all means restore it when we've sorted everything else out. Roads are shot, bomb site is still there in High Town, Homeless are sleeping in doorways, Soup kitchens feeding the waifs and strays ... Council Tax is going up when we get less services ... etc. etc. ...

• 1 year later...

How big a part? 30 miles or 30 yards? Where are you going to be able to navigate to/from? Aylestone Park to The Swan? Pie in the sky idea. By all means restore it when we've sorted everything else out. Roads are shot, bomb site is still there in High Town, Homeless are sleeping in doorways, Soup kitchens feeding the waifs and strays ... Council Tax is going up when we get less services ... etc. etc. ...

Do you really think this has anything to do with the Council and tax payers paying for it?

Google Hereford & Gloucester Canal and educate yourself.

• 1 month later...

I have just got the OK for West mercia constabulary to use this site for training purposes until it's demolished of sold again.
Will hopefully be a deterrent to stop people dumping rubbish or stealing property that don't belong to them like these two I caught last week. :Angry: 

post-918-0-11905900-1495286050_thumb.jpg

• 9 months later...