Hereford Mayor Joins Us On The GWW!

Colin James

Well what can I say, other than a huge THANK/ YOU! To everyone who joined for the Great Western Way Clean Up. This was really a brilliant example of a community working together. We had senior Police Officers, Police Cadets, Community Support Officers, over 10 Councillors, several members from Hereford Voice, the Hereford Mayor and an army of volunteers from within the community.

We have made a big improvement along here and cleared away lots of overgrown trees and bushed allowing more light in. This event I would like to run every year so that we can keep on top of this.

Here are just a few photographs I managed to grab.

HMGWW.jpg

A few more

BankGWW.jpg

Cllr. Chris Chappell checking his phone 

CCa.jpg

DILLIGAF, Cllr. Paul Stevens, Insp. Nick Semper, Mr Lamb and another local resident and Cllr. Graham Powell.

GWW5.jpg

Good to see Charles giving his support today.

HM2a.jpg

HM3a.jpg

Cllr. Tracey Bowes

TB.jpg

JK.jpg

Cllr.Paul Rone clearing the tree's 

PR1a.jpg

PRa.jpg

Well done you people.  Mind you it should never have got like this in the first place.  Whenever I do some hard pruning I always think of the last person who has really irritated me it's amazing how much easier the work becomes!

No doubt you all spent your time thinking of Bill Norman wallowing in his ill gotten gains whilst you were  slaving away on a Sunday morning. 

Good effort by all involved and good for the community at the same time. 

Window dressing by the Mayor and the local plod. The photo's make it look as tho it was a 'fun day' ..... Instead of hanging around in some gazebo there should obviously be some real time stuff going on there. But I know the budget only extends to the gazebo and the jokey photo's .... 

Window dressing by the Mayor and the local plod. The photo's make it look as tho it was a 'fun day' ..... Instead of hanging around in some gazebo there should obviously be some real time stuff going on there. But I know the budget only extends to the gazebo and the jokey photo's .... 

To be fair all the Councillors and Police got stuck in and I took this opportunity to grab a few photos while they were having some refreshment. It was quite a fun day in all honesty and most definitely worth while. 

• 6 months later...

It won't be so hard this year either as it was all done last year.

A bit was missed behind Charles Witts .... Been there five years according to the poster on this website ....

post-2-0-92833000-1457169684.jpg

Also (pic below) was last month on GWW ....

post-2-0-23007500-1457804825.jpg

The alternative solutions to the litter chaos on the GWW seem to be proper and regular enforcement, proper and regular litter collection by a Contractor, or do nothing. Or a 4th option which is really cheap. Get a bunch of people together to do the litter picking for free ~ who've got various agenda's which normally involve a Publicity photo shoot to generate a positive vibe for them/organisation or indeed website. A really good result would be for the 4th option to happen and for everyone involved decide to do it again annually as it gives the people involved a warm feeling inside and more photos and more perceived feel good media. And it still happens for free. 

At the risk of getting a minus vote from somebody, unless the council has changed in the last 11 months the rule is no councillor from another ward is allowed to come into someone elses ward with out permission from the council. Also the GWW is part of BBLP contract so they should be keeping the GWW clean and tidy as a part of their job. We the people are paying twice over in our council tax and precept money for what BBLP should be doing. and getting paid for doing it. But good job by the people and police.

unless the council has changed in the last 11 months the rule is no councillor from another ward is allowed to come into someone elses ward with out permission from the council. 

lol !

Also the GWW is part of BBLP contract so they should be keeping the GWW clean and tidy as a part of their job. We the people are paying twice over in our council tax and precept money for what BBLP should be doing. and getting paid for doing it.

I think BBLP get paid to shift the detritis on the GWW but obviously won't go the estra mile if mugs' do it for them. For free!

But good job by the people and police.

I never saw any pics of any 'Police' litter picking. Just posing for the predicable and trendy photos. I applaud the efforts of the other people who got 'stuck in' .... but I think they're just giving some other organisation an excuse to avoid doing what they are already paid to do ....  

• 3 months later...

I'm sorry to say that 12m has almost passed us by along with the BB maintenance plan on the GWW! Nothing has been done since we last tackled it.

Show of hands for this years effort. As a little incentive, those that participate can invoice BB and the council for services rendered for the day.

At the risk of getting a minus vote from somebody, unless the council has changed in the last 11 months the rule is no councillor from another ward is allowed to come into someone elses ward with out permission from the council. Also the GWW is part of BBLP contract so they should be keeping the GWW clean and tidy as a part of their job. We the people are paying twice over in our council tax and precept money for what BBLP should be doing. and getting paid for doing it. But good job by the people and police.

I agree with you, it is not up to the public to go around cleaning rubbish up, this is what we pay the council huge amounts of money for, we pay more each year and get less for it.

I know that a lot of the problems are cause by people chucking rubbish on the floor, but it is also caused by over flowing bins that are not emptied. Sadly we are not the the only city like it, seems like the whole country is going to the dogs.

I'm sorry to say that 12m has almost passed us by along with the BB maintenance plan on the GWW! Nothing has been done since we last tackled it.

Show of hands for this years effort. As a little incentive, those that participate can invoice BB and the council for services rendered for the day.

Surprise Suprise, this morning a half-hearted attempt at pruning alongside (opposite) the rowing club by BB. No more no less. Just the essential trees and bush encroaching the path. It's a start I suppose.

Another triumph by HV