extended sunday opening.

Adrian symonds

I think this is a bad idea, no doubt a tory thing to help their business mates get even more money so they can give even more money to the Tory party.

I am not religious, but I think it would be nice if we could do without going shopping for at least one day a week. With 24 hour shopping and online shopping, surly we do not need even more hours for people to shop.

People are forced to work sundays in stores these days, certainly when they start the new job, it is you work sunday because that is the way it is or you do not have a job.

I work Sundays, while I was not forced into it as such in that I would lose my job, the way things was worded was not nice.

Personally, I think if shops want to remain open on Sundays then they should be able to stay open.

I agree with you Colin however in some ways Adrian is right because there never seems to be a break these days!

I went to a long established garden centre last Sunday and as my wife and I attempted to reach the coffee shop we panned across to see the Christmas cards and crackers starting to find shelf space!

We were saddened actually because the coffee shop was closed, much of the internal floor space was soaked and large areas sectioned off because of the leaking roof. We felt very sorry for those who pay for retail space.

Sadly this garden centre chain has seen better days and to think this is the flagship site..where it all started. Shame

I agree with you Colin however in some ways Adrian is right because there never seems to be a break these days!

I went to a long established garden centre last Sunday and as my wife and I attempted to reach the coffee shop we panned across to see the Christmas cards and crackers starting to find shelf space!

We were saddened actually because the coffee shop was closed, much of the internal floor space was soaked and large areas sectioned off because of the leaking roof. We felt very sorry for those who pay for retail space.

Sadly this garden centre chain has seen better days and to think this is the flagship site..where it all started. Shame

Yes, unfortunately, the xmas stock will soon be arriving and then Boxing day out come the Easter Eggs! However, I see no real reason that the old fashion out dated Sunday laws cannot be changed. Quite often I will forget something on a Sunday only to rush to Asda as they are the latest supermarket open on a Sunday closing at 5pm and guess what, its always full!! If this is turn creates possibly more jobs then that could be good too, especially for students like my Son who is always looking for more hours. Im sure some will not agree but I think times have changed and we need to get into the 21st Century now. I was in Lisbon last year and the Vasco Da Gama shopping centre is open 7 days a week until midnight.

I also agree with the proposed extended hours .

I went to the same Garden Centre as Green Knight last Monday , picked up a packet of potash and thought that a coffee and a cake would be very nice , sadly the Coffee Shop was still being sorted out after Saturday and Sunday's storm.

What is the big deal about Sunday's. Plenty of people work it, most not coerced, me included on a shift rota. If the shop can earn a profit, then open. If you don't want to work Sunday's, go back on the dole. I really do not see a problem. And don't start about the church losing custom. You can say all tou want to without going to church.

The 6 hour Trading limit was suspended in 2012 for the Olympics. I don't recall many Major moans when that happened. All the shops below 280 square metres in size are open already. This restriction is only really impacting on large Supermarkets/DIY's .... And the staff already working there for 6 hours solid on a Sunday are obviously not too bothered about Religiously attending some Church Service. Of course when the shop shuts people are in the building stocking shelves outside the 6 hours etc ... 

I'm all for a relaxation. 

The forum generally seems to agree that it's daft to ban a chip shop from opening after 1.30 AM so I can't see anyone saying it's a good idea to ban a large shop from opening after 4/5 PM on a Sunday. Apart from the Topic Starter that is.

Times have changed and if you visit most European countries you will find large supermarkets and retailers open on Sundays, to be honest its more of an inconvenience when they are closed sometimes. I went to Asda a few weeks ago forgetting it was Sunday and it was not until I got there I realised lol. (I did moan to myself)

I think this is a bad idea, no doubt a tory thing to help their business mates get even more money so they can give even more money to the Tory party.

I am not religious, but I think it would be nice if we could do without going shopping for at least one day a week. With 24 hour shopping and online shopping, surly we do not need even more hours for people to shop.

People are forced to work sundays in stores these days, certainly when they start the new job, it is you work sunday because that is the way it is or you do not have a job.

I work Sundays, while I was not forced into it as such in that I would lose my job, the way things was worded was not nice.

I tend to agree with this, Hereford only has so much money to spend in a town which whether you like it or not has been torn apart as have many others. We will always be a market town without a motorway link and bad traffic. Sticking a new shopping centre in does not fix the problems we have had for years. Outsiders may come and look get caught in the traffic struggle to park and may never return. Some business "brains" think we can box above our weight, we can not and will never do so. Yes things have changed and "we must keep up with the times otherwise we will die" ok, go and walk the main town and count the empty shops. I doubt any of the businesses in the new part would have bothered if it wasn't for incentives. Fill the place with shops and open more hours, but as I say there is only so much money out there.

I work 12 hour shifts including weekends at times, so extended opening hours on a Sunday would be good for me.

So you work 12 hours everyday?

Some stores are open 24 hours,apart from the weekend, can you not find the time to shop then?

I know that some people like the NHS and emergency services have to work Sundays, bank holidays and even Christmas day and I am grateful for them doing so, but it seems like there is no break at all and everyday is just like the one before.

People are not going to die because they have to wait until the next day to get a bit of food and if you are in that much of a rush for it, there are still plenty of smaller stores open.

As I said I work Sundays anyway or i will do when I get back to work full time, a 9 hour shift, so the stores opening later will not affect me in that way. But I do feel we need that one day to wind down.

Times have changed and if you visit most European countries you will find large supermarkets and retailers open on Sundays, to be honest its more of an inconvenience when they are closed sometimes. I went to Asda a few weeks ago forgetting it was Sunday and it was not until I got there I realised lol. (I did moan to myself)

Do we need to do things just because another country does it? 

Some stores are open 24 hours,apart from the weekend, can you not find the time to shop then?

I know that some people like the NHS and emergency services have to work Sundays, bank holidays and even Christmas day and I am grateful for them doing so, but it seems like there is no break at all and everyday is just like the one before.

People are not going to die because they have to wait until the next day to get a bit of food and if you are in that much of a rush for it, there are still plenty of smaller stores open.

As I said I work Sundays anyway or i will do when I get back to work full time, a 9 hour shift, so the stores opening later will not affect me in that way. But I do feel we need that one day to wind down.

Its about having a choice, let the stores open and if you need that one day to wind down then thats fine too but don't stop others just because you may not agree. 

Yes some weeks I do, its not about going out to get a bit of food, maybe I want to do some DIY and If I run out of paint after 4pm, right now, I would have to wait until the next day (Monday) but if the local DIY was permitted to stay open until 8pm I would not have that problem and before anyone says anything, this is just an example. I am with Frank on this one, its about choice, if you choose not to shop after 4pm then fine but if you want to shop then thats fine too. Not everybody wants a Sunday to be like it is now, some people work Sunday's and have a day off in the week but on the flip side of that some people work Monday - Saturday and Sunday maybe the only day they have as a family and relaxing these out of date laws would allow them more time without the restrictions in place that cause everyone to rush and keep checking on the time, which I often find myself doing on a Sunday.