Traffic in Hereford City Centre

Ubique

Today was the first time in ten years that Mrs U and I travelled from our home 4 miles to the NW of Hereford on a Sunday lunchtime . Our intentions was to meet up with relatives for lunch at one of the eateries in the Old Market .

Table was reserved for 12.30 , because we had a bit of shopping to do we left our home at 11.45 , we travelled along the A49 , around the Starting Gate roundabout and joined a long line of stop / start traffic - to cut a very boring story short we parked in the Waitrose car park at 12.20 pm . 35 minutes to cover 4 miles !

Our relatives travelled into town from the Ledbury direction, they left their home at 1205pm for their 20 minute journey into town - they arrived at our chosen Resturant at 1pm !

Other than volume of traffic does anybody know of any reason for the delays - no road works were seen - or is this normal for a Sunday lunchtime. .

I don't think there needs to be any roadworks going on for traffic to be a nightmare ubique could just be at that time in moment other people had decided or hadn't to be somewhere around the same time as your good self & mrs ubique decided to travel about the city?

I cycled the length of the City at about 1pm - the whole thing was log jammed. A49 as Ubique says - I then went up Widemarsh St - ditto, not helped by someone trying to turn right into Blackfriars St, also solid and not moving, stopping anyone wanting to carry on up to Blueschool St, which was clear eastbound but solid and stationary west bound, all the way back along Ledbury Rd. Just ridiculous. 

I was in town at 12.30pm (walked in so avoided any delays from traffic and enjoyed the exercise) and I noticed that there was a lane closed around the Edgar Street roundabout in front of Tesco and the old City wall section,  towards the entrance to Bewell St. I must admit town seemed very busy but many of the stores were saying that today was the last day of the sales, so I dont know if that had anything to do with it. 

Turn them off? They're just about to add 3 more sets in 300m on Holme Lacy Road!

Coming soon - more traffic lights on Edgar Street where the 'link road' joins.

After that - dozens more traffic lights on the link road, including 3 x 4-way junctions, two of them 50m apart.

They're really not getting the message are they!!!

Turn them off? They're just about to add 3 more sets in 300m on Holme Lacy Road!

Coming soon - more traffic lights on Edgar Street where the 'link road' joins.

After that - dozens more traffic lights on the link road, including 3 x 4-way junctions, two of them 50m apart.

They're really not getting the message are they!!!

We need to make them listen to us,any suggestions?

• 1 month later...

Lights off!

Hereford Times 9th March 2016

TRAFFIC lights are currently out at a busy junction on the edge of Hereford. Engineers are at the scene of the Three Elms junction with the A4103 Roman road.

Traffic appears to be flowing better than usual for this time of the morning.

Hereford Times 9th March 2016

TRAFFIC lights are currently out at a busy junction on the edge of Hereford. Engineers are at the scene of the Three Elms junction with the A4103 Roman road.

Traffic appears to be flowing better than usual for this time of the morning.

No surprises there then...

One part of our road system that should of had a roundabout and not traffic lights,not at all surprised that the 

traffic is flowing freely here.

My alias William Rudd on Hft Times has been hijacked so pointless me posting on there.
If any of you see WiLLiam Rudd posting as he has on this story you know it ain't me.

We need to make them listen to us,any suggestions?

So no suggestions.....

Its no good all of us  just sitting there typing down all our frustrated grumbles and moans,we need to be listened to and not just people on here.

Actions speak louder than words

Passed through this junction at about 0845 today , travelling from Stretton Sugwas direction , intending to turn right into Three Elms Rd . No queues , all drivers acting responsibly, easy peasy !

Certainly appears to be a junction where consideration should be given to switching them off either completely or at selected times.

They are now working .

So no suggestions.....

Its no good all of us  just sitting there typing down all our frustrated grumbles and moans,we need to be listened to and not just people on here.

Actions speak louder than words

We have the petition and also the other requesting part time lights so those are the two we should be promoting as much as we can. Please all share and lets see what we can achieve. 

Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that Hereford City Centre traffic seems to have decreased in the last couple of weeks? In particular Bath Street and Blueschool St in the afternoon rush hour (for me 5-5.30pm) seems to have alot less traffic than previously. Is it to do with Merton Meadow car park having hundreds fewer cars? I must admit it makes me feel alot safer on my bike with fewer cars. Also it has made cycling around town in weather like today even more enjoyable  :Happy_32:

The parking charges in the city now are amongst the most expensive in the country that might have some effect not bad for the only city in the country without a by-pass

If parking charges have reduced the traffic in Hereford City Centre and cut congestion, surely that means the large majority of traffic is going into the City Centre and not around it. Why then does Hereford need a bypass? To me this seems to support what much better informed people than me have been saying elsewhere - that congestion is caused by lots of people trying to drive INTO Hereford not around it. If the parking charges mean that there is lower congestion, could the Council now support people getting into town by improving the road surfaces around Hereford for cyclists and having a few extra buses at peak times? Would need just a fraction of the £27million being spent on the Southern Link Road to do this things.

• 1 year later...

Daily Mail - 12th April 2017

Hereford was in second place

Bike lanes make Cambridge the UK's slowest city for drivers: Traffic crawls at average speed of just 13.7mph

* Thanks to cycling lanes, Cambridge is the slowest city in the UK for motorists
* Traffic crawls along at an average speed of just 13.73mph
* Hereford was in second place, with a sedate average speed of 14.09mph

I cycle faster than that and we don't have as many cycle lanes as Cambridge.

Me too. London was third at 14.59mph! Two words define the cause of Hereford's problem - traffic lights. 

I also cycle quicker than this and I am definitely in the "young and fit" group of cyclists. As Twowheelsgood says the major cause of delays are traffic lights. More and more lights seem to be appearing and is it me or is this particularly bad whilst the consultation on the Hereford Transport Package is happening until 22nd May?